Back acne, sometimes conveniently called bacne, is one of the most inconvenient things to suffer from. And if you have facial acne, you are more prone to have back acne too. When your back’s overactive oil glands (sebaceous glands) get clogged by excessive dead skin cells or sebum (oil), it gives rise to bacteria that cause acne on your back. If you have acne on your face, there is high chance that your back skin is very thick and sebaceous glands there produce more sebum leading to the problem of bacne. They are not only painful and irritating posing problems for you to wear clothes and carry backpacks but will also leave ugly back acne scars. That’s why it’s better to treat them as soon as possible so that these bacne don’t get enough time to sit deeply into your skin and cause acne scars on your back. While you can also get rid of back acne scars with home remedies, it seems intelligent to stop the proliferation of back acne itself so that you need not take extra pain to cure bacne scars too! Here are some really effective home remedies to get rid of back acne.
Natural Ways to Get Rid of Back Acne
1. Use Sea Salt to Cure Back Acne
While diet high in sodium (read salt) may aggravate your acne, sea salt remedy can actually get you rid of them. Although not much research has been done on why sea salt is so effective in eliminating acne, it may be because it is effective in containing bacterial buildup. Salt also effectively dries out your skin, taking away all the oil that causes acne on your back. Those who have used this remedy for back acne, have praised it for a quick and effective solution for their bacne. However, whenever you decide to use salt for your back acne remedy, go for sea salt and not the table salt as it has iodine in it which may further make the acne proliferate.
How to Use Sea Salt for Bacne?
- Sea salt- 2-3 cups
- Bathtub filled with warm water
- Add the sea salt to your warm bath water.
- Soak in this water for 20-30 minutes.
- If your skin is very oily, do not apply any other thing after getting out of the bathtub. Just pat dry.
- If, however, your skin tends to get drier, apply a light moisturizer but not too heavily.
- If your acne on the back is really bad and there are too many breakouts, repeat this process twice a day otherwise once is enough.
- If your body responds to this remedy, you may see your acne breakouts on the back going away in a week or so.
You may also use sea salt mixed water filled in a spray bottle. Just spray this water on your back acne once or twice a day. However, if your back acne is many and in a really bad shape, you will be most benefited by a soak.
2. Epsom Salt also Cures Back Acne
If you find sea salt expensive or not effective for your back acne, you may try Epsom salt which is a comparatively inexpensive remedy for bacne. Epsom salt is the common name of the natural mineral compound, magnesium sulfate. The anti-inflammatory magnesium can be well absorbed by the skin and give relief from redness, irritation and itchy skin. It also activates enzymes to help regulate various nutrients vital for the health of skin such as zinc, potassium and vitamin D. It helps flush out toxins apart from helping in proper absorption of nutrients.
How to Use Epsom Salt for Back Acne?
- Epsom salt- 1-2 cups
- warm bath water to soak
- Add Epsom salt into the bathtub as the water runs to fill it.
- Soak in the bath for 15-30 minutes or more.
- Don’t use bath foam or any other soap or chemical in this bathwater.
- You may use a loofah though gently for better absorption and blood circulation.
- After this Epsom salt bath, you should drink a lot of water.
Precaution: Don’t rub Epsom salt directly into your skin as it is abrasive and may aggravate your back acne by breaking your skin further. As magnesium and calcium, both are competitors when it comes to absorption, take care to have enough of calcium otherwise, it may lead to calcium deficiency in your body.
[Also Read: Simple Tips to Get rid of Back Acne Scars]
3. Oatmeal Bath for Back Acne
Oatmeal is one ingredient which is beneficial for almost all types of skin, dry or oily and even ageing skin. It works for acne prone skin by soaking up the excessive sebum oil. It also gently exfoliates your skin to clean off the dirt and open the skin pores. When the oil is removed and dead skin too, your skin gets rejuvenated along with a moisturizing effect. Oatmeal bath will not only eliminate back acne but will also get you rid of bacne scars! Here’s how to get the soothing oatmeal bath for acne on your back.
How to Make Oatmeal Bath for Back Acne?
- Oatmeal (plain, not flavoured or anything else)- 3 tbsp
- A sock or muslin cloth
- Finely grind the oatmeal.
- Alternatively, place the oatmeal in a sock or muslin cloth and tie it.
- Mix the finely ground oatmeal with the warm bath water in your tub. Mix it well. If it is not fine enough, the oats will settle in the bottom of the tub.
- If you have tied your oatmeal into a sock or cloth, just place it into the tube immersed in the water. While soaking, keep on squeezing the cloth to let the juice of oatmeal mix with the water.
- Soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Repeat daily to get soft moisturized and acne free body.
4. Homemade Oatmeal-Honey Mask for Back Acne
If you don’t like the idea of an oatmeal bath, there is yet another way of applying oatmeal on your bacne. Using honey with oatmeal, you may prepare a homemade mask. While oatmeal cleans off the excess oil and dirt, honey works with its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties to cure your back acne breakouts. Its antibacterial properties fight off the bacteria causing acne and the anti-inflammatory properties eliminate redness and swelling.
How to Make Oatmeal-Honey Mask for Bacne?
- Plain oatmeal- 3 tbsp
- Honey- 2-3 tbsp
- water- enough to cook oatmeal
- Cook the oatmeal with water as usual.
- Add honey to the cooked oatmeal.
- Let it cool down.
- Upon cooling, the mixture may get a little dry. If so, add a little more honey to this.
- Apply this mask to your back acne.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
[Also Read: How to use Honey to Remove Acne and its Scars]
5. Apple Cider Vinegar for Back Acne Remedy
Apple cider vinegar (ACV), as you might know, is a marvellous ingredient for your body. It may also help you get rid of bacne. ACV does it by balancing the pH of your body which naturally eliminates the acne breakouts. Because Apple cider vinegar is also an effective antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent, it is counted amongst one of the best remedies for acne as a whole and not only for back acne. Nothing like when you drink 1-2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar mixed with 1 glass of water, daily. However, you can even make a toner with ACV to apply it topically on your back acne.
How to Make Apple Cider Vinegar Toner for Bacne?
- Apple Cider Vinegar- 1 part
- Water (distilled, if possible)- 2 parts
- Spray bottle (optional)
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and water.
- Fill this mixture into the spray bottle.
- Spray some of this mixture every night on your back acne before going to sleep.
- You may also spray it during the day. If so, leave it on for at least 10-20 minutes before washing it off.
- Store the bottle with ACV toner in your fridge for cooling effect on your acne breakouts.
- If you don’t prefer spraying, use a cotton ball to apply ACV on your back acne.
6. Tea Tree Oil Remedy for Back Acne
Tea tree oil, derived from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia of Australia, has anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. Terpinen-4-ol compound in tea tree oil gives it it’s antimicrobial properties. The anti-bacterial effect of tea tree oil eliminate the bacteria Propionibacterium acnes which is responsible for the development of acne.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Bacne?
- Tea tree oil- 2-3 tsp (a little less than 1 tbsp)
- Water- 1 cup
- Add tea tree oil with water.
- Using a cotton ball apply this mixture on your back acne breakouts.
- Repeat 1-2 times a day.
- Also, apply it before going to bed.
- You may store the prepared solution in a bottle for later use.
Precaution: Never apply undiluted tea tree oil on your skin as it may lead to irritation, redness, blistering, over-drying, as well as itching. Always dilute the oil with water in 5:95 ratio. This means 5 parts of tea tree oil should be mixed with 95 parts of water. For example, 5 ml tea tree oil should be mixed with 95 ml of water.
[Also Read: Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Cystic Acne Fast]
7. Mint Leaves for Back Acne
Peppermint leaves contain menthol which is a natural analgesic and an anti-inflammatory agent. Not only these properties alleviate your pain and swelling due to acne but can also soothe your itchy skin due to its natural cool composition.
How to Use Mint Leaves for Back Acne?
- Mint leaves- a handful of them
- Mortar and pestle
- Crush the mint leaves using mortar and pestle.
- You’ll get a green smooth paste.
- Rub this paste on your acne affected back.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day.
8. Cinnamon-Honey Mask for Back Acne
Cinnamon has strong anti-bacterial properties. Taken internally, cinnamon can even fight off yeast infections. When you apply it topically along with honey, it will eliminate dirt along with bacteria that are behind your acne breakout.
How to Make Cinnamon-Honey Mask for Back Acne
- Ground cinnamon- 1 tsp
- Honey- 2 tbsp
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)- ½ tsp
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Apply the mask to the acne on your back
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
[Dont Miss: How to Get Rid of Under the Skin Pimples]
9. Baking Soda for Back Acne
Baking soda has amphoteric properties meaning it can act as both, a base or acid. It can thus balance the pH level of skin excellently, imbalance of which gives rise to bacteria and in turn acne. It has antiseptic properties as well as mild anti-inflammatory properties that cures irritation and swelling due to acne. Apart from all these properties, baking soda also exfoliates skin to get you rid of dirt and dead skin that are one of the major causes of acne.
Make Baking Soda Exfoliant for Back Acne
- Baking soda- 1 tbsp
- Water- enough to make a paste
- Mix baking soda with water to make a paste.
- Apply this to your back acne.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
10. Soothing Aloe Vera for Back Acne
Among its innumerable properties, aloe vera also has astringent, emollient, antifungal and regenerative properties. This means it can stop fluid discharge by contraction of blood vessels, make skin soft and smooth, eliminate fungal infection and can lead to regrowth of new cells thus healing wounds. All these properties of aloe vera come to use when you apply it topically on your back to eliminate acne.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Back Acne?
It’s better to apply the natural aloe vera gel directly from the leaves of aloe vera plant. You
- Aloe vera leaf
- Cut open a piece of aloe leaf.
- Take out the thick gel out with your fingers.
- Apply this to your back acne for feeling the soothing relief instantly.
- Repeat 3-4 times a day to heal your bacne outbreaks.
- If you cannot get the fresh leaf, buy pure aloe vera gel without any other component in it.
11. Homemade White Willow Bark Toner for Back Acne
White willow bark is especially effective for any acne including back acne. It contains salicin, similar to the salicylic acid which is found in many commercially available acne creams. Salicylic acid dries up blemishes and thus get you rid of bacne. Not only this, white willow bark is anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fungal too. Therefore, you get relief from redness and inflammation caused by your painful acne. Here is a recipe of homemade white willow bark toner which also contains certain other anti-acne ingredients to give you fast relief from back acne.
Make White Willow Bark Toner for Bacne
- White willow bark- 1 tbsp
- Boiling water- 70 g (about 5 tbsp)
- Witch hazel- 50 g (about 3.5 tbsp)
- Tea tree oil/ lavender oil/ black pepper oil (anyone)- 10 drops
- Place white willow bark in a pot.
- Pour the boiling water over it.
- Steep for 10-15 minutes.
- After steeping, strain the liquid using the fine sieve.
- Add witch hazel and your choice of essential oil to this.
- Mix well. You may store it in a bottle.
- With the help of cotton ball, apply the solution to your back acne.
- Repeat this 2-4 times a day.
12. Witch Hazel for Back Acne
Witch hazel, the herb native to North America, China and Japan, is one of the best herbs not only for acne but for various skin diseases. The twigs, leaves and the bark of witch hazel have catechol tannin in them. It is active astringent which is wonderful for cleansing skin. Distilled witch hazel can be easily found at any health store. It cleanses the skin pores clogged due to dry sebum and oils. Its anti-inflammatory properties treat your swelling and redness caused by acne lesions. What more, it leaves your skin naturally moisturized and refreshed.
How to Use Witch Hazel for Back Acne?
- Get distilled witch hazel from any health store.
- Simply apply to your bacne with a cotton pad.
- For increasing the efficiency of this remedy, mix a few drops of tea tree oil to witch hazel and then apply on the acne on your back.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day.
13. Lavender Oil for Back Acne
Like many other natural ingredients used for treating back acne, lavender oil has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make it eliminate the bad bacteria causing acne. There is one more benefit of using this aromatic lavender oil for your bacne cure. It soothes your nerves and makes you calm. This helps in efficient hormonal balance within your system. Hormonal imbalance is yet another major cause of acne breakouts. Try lavender oil to take a bath with other useful ingredients that are also good remedies for back acne.
How to Make Lavender Bath for Back Acne?
- Lavender essential oil- 7-8 drops
- Water/ Epsom salt/ sea salt (any one of them)- 1 cup
- Warm bath water
- Add lavender oil to the other ingredient you are using – water or Epsom or sea salt.
- Add this lavender mix water or salt to your warm bath water in the bathtub.
- Soak for 15-20 minutes or more.
- Repeat 1-3 times a week depending on the severity of your back acne.
14. Clove Oil for Back Acne
Clove essential oil derived from the scented flowers of clove plant is analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic and anaesthetic. This oil contains what is called eugenol, an antibacterial component that can kill infection and reduce swelling. Due to its anaesthetic properties, it also numbs the pain that you get from your acne. However, there is one consideration regarding clove oil. The substance eugenol that kills bacteria has also been found to be capable of damaging skin cells. Therefore, one has to be extra careful while using clove oil.
How to Use Clove Oil for Back Acne?
Always use 1 part of clove oil with 10 parts of carrier oil.
- Clove oil- 1 tsp
- Carrier oil (olive oil or almond oil or grapeseed oil) – 10 tsp (or ¼ cup roughly)
- Mix 1 part of clove oil with 10 parts of your choice of carrier oil.
- Use a cotton pad or clean fingertip to apply this mixed oil to your back acne.
- Take care not to spread oil on to your healthy skin. As far as possible, apply the oil mix only on the acne outbreak.
Precaution: Never use pure clove oil on acne or your skin. It can cause irritation or even burns.
15. Diet and Lifestyle Remedies for Back Acne
Diet and Lifestyle to need your attention when you seek to eliminate acne from wherever on your body, face or back.
- Drink lots of water during the day so that toxins are flushed out of your system.
- Have a healthy diet which includes high fiber whole grains, fruits, and veggies.
- Avoid junk foods that include heavily spiced fried foods, fatty and sweet foods, caffeinated drinks etc.
- Getting sufficient rest is also important as this keeps your hormones balanced and oil secretion controlled.
- Stress too throws your hormones out of control. Meditate, exercise to keep stress at bay as also to keep your internal body system functional in the most efficient way.
- Smoking and excessive alcohol too may lead to acne problem.
The above natural home remedies for back acne will sure make you get rid of bacne but diet and lifestyle remedies will ensure that you don’t get your back acne again!
Most Common Question And Answers:
Q: What is the cause of back acne?
Ans: Back acne (bacne) is a most irritating and painful skin problem that develops at the back of your body. It is caused when the back’s overactive oil glands get clogged by the excessive sebum or dead skin cells then it gives rise to bacteria and thereby appears as acne (or pimples) on the skin.
Other reasons include too much sweat, improper skin care hygiene, hormonal imbalance, elevated blood sugar levels, poor diet, etc. will result in causing back acne.
Q: How do you get rid of back acne?
Ans: There are various natural remedies and tips that help you in dealing with this back acne. Here are some lists of natural remedies to get rid of bacne.
- Sea salt (or) Epsom salt
- Apple cider vinegar
- Tea tree oil
- Mint leaves
- Cinnamon with honey
- Baking soda
- Aloe vera
- Witch hazel
- Lavender oil
- Clove oil
- Sandalwood powder
- Orange peel
Tips to get rid of back acne:
- Some changes in your diet and lifestyle will definitely help you to get rid of this back acne. Include them in your daily routine till you get relief from back acne.
- Reduce your stress levels, as this stress will throw the hormones out of control. So, practice yoga, meditation and deep breathing exercises.
- Get plenty of rest for the proper functioning of your body and thereby to prevent clogging of skin pores.
- Exfoliate and moisturize your skin regularly to clear the dirt, dead skin cells and other impurities that clog skin pores.
- Avoid junk and oily foods along with heavily spiced fried foods, sweets, caffeinated or carbonated drinks in your diet.
- Drink plenty of water and consume a healthy diet that includes high fiber whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Quit smoking and avoid the intake of excessive alcohol which may results in the break out of acne on the skin.
Q: Can stress cause acne on your back?
Ans: Yes, stress will cause acne on your back. Stress will change your hormones and make them work out of control. This will make the sebaceous glands to produce excess oil and thereby clog the skin pores. This develops acne on the skin. So, practice yoga, meditation and some physical exercises to keep the stress at bay and also to keep the internal bodily function in a proper way.
Q: How do you get rid of chest acne?
Ans: Do you know that 40 – 50 % of people experience chest acne at some point in their lifetime why because there are huge amounts of sebaceous glands in the chest area? Are you one among those suffering from chest acne? Then no worries, here are some natural remedies that help you in getting rid of chest acne.
- Baking soda
- Aloe vera
- Apple cider vinegar
- Tea tree oil
- Mint leaves
- Indian lilac
- Green tea
- Banana or orange peel
- Epsom salt
- Honey & cinnamon
Q: What causes acne on the face or chin?
Ans: There are many reasons that cause acne on the face and here we are explaining you in a detail about the causes of acne on the face or chin.
- Sebaceous glands will produce sebum to moisture the skin by travelling through hair follicles. The dead skin cells shed by hair follicles on the skin surface and this excess sebum production will stick together and clog the pores.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Vitamin deficiency
- Unhealthy gut
- Stress & anxiety
- Hot and humid climates
- Squeezing or popping of existing pimples
- Usage of oil-based makeup and other commercial cosmetic products
- Improper skin care hygiene
- Unhealthy diet
- Mismanaged blood sugar levels
Q: What causes baby acne and how to get rid of it?
Ans: Around 20% of infants are affected by baby acne in which boys are more prone to this problem rather than girl baby. However, the exact cause of this baby acne is unknown but it may be caused due to the hormonal stimulation of the oil glands that are received from the mother through the placenta.
Although it won’t last for more than 2 weeks and there are various cosmetic creams and lotions available for treating this acne in your infants. But for better and safe results, always prefer to use natural remedies to prevent harm to their delicate skin.
Have a look at these remedies and use it to treat your baby acne.
- Coconut oil
- Breast milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Baby powder
Q: Can acne be caused by lack of sleep?
Ans: Yes, lack of sleep or sleep deprivation can result in acne and other health problems. Lack of sleep will promote stress and thereby there will be an increase in the cortisol in the body which in turn causes the skin to secrete more sebum. This will result in acne breakouts.
Another reason that causes acne due to lack of sleep is the increase of insulin resistance. This will increase the sugar or glucose levels in the body and thereby results in acne. So, make sure to get your sleep but remember that not too much to keep your body healthy and active.
Q: Which soap is best to clear back acne & back acne marks?
Ans: Here we are suggesting some best soaps to clear your back acne and its marks on the body.
- Shea Moisture African Black Soap Body Wash
- Richfeel Calendula Anti – Acne Soap
- Vaadi Herbals Becalming Tea Tree Soap Anti – Acne Therapy
- Level Naturals
- Murad Acne Body Wash
- VI Derm Exfoliating Body Wash
- Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash
- Dermadew Acne Soap
- Sebamed Clear Face Cleansing Bar
- Lacne Soap
Q: What is the best treatment for back acne for men?
Ans: Acne in men will leave them embarrassed about removing his shirt at swimming pool. There are various causes of bacne in men that includes excessive usage of hair products, shampoo, soap and body wash, lack of basic skin care hygiene, exercising or internal factors (hormones or pores clogged by the accumulation of dead skin cells).
Coming to the best treatments for Bacne in men includes AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids that help to get rid of an uppermost layer of the skin from the body by exfoliating) and BHAs (Beta hydroxy acids that work by cleaning the gunk from inside the pores to clear acne from the body).
Other than this, you have to follow some simple tips like drinking plenty of water, taking shower immediately after a workout (or heavy sweat), avoid wearing sweaty clothes, regularly exfoliate your back skin with a loofah while taking shower, rinse the irritated acne-prone skin with a deep cleanser that contains AHA or BHA, get your hair trimmed to prevent the acne breakouts, etc.
Q: How to prevent back acne after the workout?
Ans: Exercise or workouts alone will not result in back acne but it is a combination of dead skin cells, clogged pores and bacteria that build up during the exercise causing acne breakouts. Although, exercise increases the blood flow and helps the healthy functioning of the body organs.
Here are a few tips that help you in preventing the breakouts from workouts.
- Take off all your makeup before exercising by simply rinsing your face before working out.
- Moisturize your skin regularly
- Always prefer to wear clean gym clothes and clean innerwear
- Wipe off your equipment before going to start your workouts
- Drink plenty of water and other health drinks to stay hydrated.
- Avoid touching your face without rinsing after a workout or exercise
- Take shower after completing your work out to prevent clogging the skin pores.
- Consume a healthy diet that doesn’t include high amounts of bad fats, sugar, etc.
Q: Besan for back acne!
Ans: Besan (or gram flour) is an excellent remedy for clearing back acne. It helps in absorbing excess oil causing acne and also lightening its marks on the skin. Here is an excellent way that helps to get rid of bacne effectively.
- Mix 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder in 1 tablespoon of besan in a small bowl.
- Stir well by adding enough curd to make a fine paste.
- Apply it to the back acne affected skin area as a pack.
- Leave it to dry naturally for about 30 – 40 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Continue doing the same process regularly till you get relief from the problem.
Note: Or simply mix besan with enough water and apply this fine paste on the affected area and rinse off after a few minutes.
Q: How does the Glytone back acne spray help treating acne?
Ans: Glytone back acne spray will definitely help you in treating acne (bacne). The salicylic acid content in this spray will help to enhance the skin clarity and unclog the skin pores by removing the bacteria, dust, dead skin cells and other impurities.
All you need is to spray it on the acne affected areas by holding the container about 3 – 6 inches away. Regular usage of this spray will help to slough away the dead skin cells and deeply cleanses the skin pores for healing and preventing acne blemishes.
Q: Does dermaroller work on back acne scars?
Ans: The usage of derma roller therapy is clinically proved as an effective way to reduce acne scars. In a study, it is stated that 80% of patients with grade 1 – 3 scars had marked improvements after undergoing this treatment.
Although, most types of acne scars get improved with a course of derma roller performed at home while small and shallow scars will be removed completely. The derma roller is non-ablative (that won’t destroy the top layer of the skin to cause a wound healing response) and makes the body to heal naturally without damaging the skin (no known side effects).
The derma roller works by causing a mini trauma to the skin and activates skin’s natural healing process. New collagen and elastin are produced by creating the brand new skin cells that fill out any pitted scars or indentations. The scar tissue starts to contract and hyperpigmentation begins to fade and this roller will thicken the skin and thereby makes the scars less visible.
With continued treatments, most of this scar tissue is removed and replaced with a smooth and healthy skin. The usage of vitamin C serum along with this derma roller will make it penetrate to deeper skin layers and thereby speed up the healing or repairing process.
Q: Can we use Patanjali aloe vera gel on our full body?
Ans: Aloe vera has innumerable properties such as astringent, anti-fungal, anti-microbial, emollient, regenerative and skin soothing properties that help a lot in repairing and rejuvenating the skin. It eliminates the microbial infection and results in the growth of new cells through the healing process.
Simply take out the aloe vera gel from an aloe vera leaf and apply this gel on the back acne affected areas. Massage gently for a few minutes and leave it like that for overnight. Repeat the application of aloe vera gel on the bacne area for 2 – 3 times daily until you get complete relief from acne and its scars on the skin.
Rather than using Patanjali aloe vera (may contain other ingredients) you can use aloe vera gel that extracted from aloe vera leaf for effective results.