Cystic acne is probably the worst kind of acne, also called pimples, spots or zits. You can suffer from cystic acne that form mostly on your face but can also be there on your upper trunk and upper arms. The pores of our skin are composed of hair follicles and sebaceous glands, the glands that secrete sebum. Sebum is the oily substance having a protective role to play. However, when it is overproduced, it can clog the pores along with the epidermal cells shed by skin. These clogged pores than give rise to acne that may also get infected to form cysts, the lesions that we call cystic acne. These cysts, in fact, occur when the inflammation damages your hair follicles. These hair follicles also get ruptured when you squeeze or roughly scrub the spots. Cystic acne affects the skin tissue lying deeper and they generally occur in adolescent teenage people who undergo major hormonal changes. Hormonal changes are only one of the causes of cystic acne, the others being greasy cosmetics, excessive humidity or sweating, certain drugs as well as chemicals, greasy foods and poor hygiene etc. How do you get rid of cystic acne? Of course there are medicines that you may get from your doctor as it involves bacterial infection too. However, if you are thinking how to treat cystic acne at home, here are some natural remedies that can be called the best home treatment for cystic acne.
Cystic Acne Natural Remedies
1. Facial Steam for Cystic Acne
When you take facial steam, you try to deeply clean and drain off the pus, debris etc. from the cystic acne. Steaming helps open the pores and in eliminating dirt and grime lying under the skin’s surface. However, over steaming or taking steam in a wrong way can actually worsen the condition of your acne. Always remove make up, oil or any other material applied on your skin before you take steam. You can use a mild soap and water or a good cleanser to do so. Any surface debris on skin can backfire if you take steam without removing them first. After removing all from your skin surface, take steam but don’t stretch it for too long. Five to eight minutes is enough for your pores to open up. Here’s how to take facial steam to get rid of cystic acne fast.
- Hot water- 1 bowl
- Clean towel
- Cleanse your face to remove makeup or any other material on your skin. This step is very important.
- Now place the bowl with hot water on a flat surface and sit near it.
- Take the towel over your head and cover your head and face in a way that the steam doesn’t escape.
- Lean forward so that the steam from the bowl comes to your face. Do not take your face too close to the bowl otherwise it may scald your skin.
- Take steam for 5 minutes.
- Pat dry.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week.
2. Baking Soda to Get Rid of Cystic Acne
baking soda is one of the best remedies for cystic acne. It works by pulling out the excessive oil from the pores as well as exfoliating the skin to get rid of dead skin cells. Most importantly, baking soda also fights off bacteria to relieve you from infection. When you apply baking soda to your skin, you will feel as if it is drawing out something from there. It will also tighten your pores and make your skin feel smoother.
Equal parts of:
- Baking soda
- Cucumber juice (optional, if your skin is too sensitive)- 2-3 tsp
- Mix baking soda and water.
- If you have sensitive skin, you can add cucumber juice to this to counter the sting and have a soothing feel.
- Wash off your face with a mild soap and water to clean it properly.
- Apply baking soda mask to your face or wherever you have acne cysts.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat twice a day.
3. Tea Tree Oil for Cystic Acne Remedy
Tea tree oil, derived from the leaves of Australia’s Melaleuca alternifolia tree, is one of the very common remedies for skin problems including acne. This is due to its properties that classify it as anti fungal, ant-bacterial and anti-viral properties. And this is also a very quick remedy for acne that gets you rid of cystic acne fast. However, you need to be very careful while making the solution of tea tree oil and water. If you use pure tea tree oil, you will worsen the condition of your acne cysts. Only 5% tea tree solution is needed which means there should be 95% of water and only 5% of tea tree oil when you mix them both to apply to your acne.
- Tea tree oil- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Add tea tree oil with water. If you have sensitive skin, add more than 1 cup of water to tea tree oil.
- Wash your face as it should be clean before applying anything.
- With the help of a cotton ball, apply the diluted tea tree oil to your cystic acne.
- Repeat this twice a day.
4. Clay Masks for Cystic Acne
Clay is one of the many gifts from nature that can help your skin tremendously. Clay masks are especially beneficial in curing cystic acne due to their absorbent, exfoliating and astringent properties. Clay draws out excess sebum and help open up as well as clean the pores. As clay draws toxins and impurities to your skin’s surface, your acne comes to head fast. You might think as if your acne is getting worse but in fact it is healing faster and in this process also diminishing your chances of getting acne scars. Now what clay to use depends upon the type of your skin. Natural clays have different colors that indicate the presence of particular minerals in them that affect your skin in different ways. White clay has fine astringent properties and it also increases blood circulation towards the skin. If you are looking for exfoliating properties, go for brown clay but not if you have a dry skin as brown clay is not good for dry skin. You may then use white clay which is suitable for dry skin or the green clays as they are gentler on all skin types. They are also rich in a variety of minerals including calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium.
Clay Mask Recipe for Cystic Acne
- Fuller’s earth/ bentonite clay/ green clay – 1-2 tbsp
- Water – for oily skin OR Jojoba oil- for dry skin OR Milk – for combination skin
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Tea tree oil- 1-2 drops
- Add water, milk or oil, whatever you are using to the clay.
- Add enough of it to get a paste like consistency.
- Add honey and tea tree oil to this prepared mask.
- Apply this to your face or affected area.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes or till it dries off.
- Now take the washcloth and wet it a little. You may even use warm water to wet it.
- Now gently rub the clay mask on your skin with this washcloth to remove it from there.
- Apply moisturizer if your skin is dry.
- Repeat this daily for a week and then do it twice a week.
5. Egg White for Cystic Acne
You knew that egg white is a very good source of high class protein but did you know that it contains albumin that has an anti-viral effect! There is also an enzyme in egg white called Lysozyme. This enzyme destroys the cell walls of bacteria. With all its antibacterial and ant-viral properties, egg white makes a very good remedy for cystic acne. Due to its skin tightening properties, egg white narrows down and closes the skin pores and cleans your skin deeply. The drying effect of egg white is also good for oily acne prone skin as it helps remove excess oil from the skin.
Egg White Mask Recipe for Cystic Acne
- Egg white- of 1 egg
- Milk- 1 tsp
- Honey- ½ tsp
- Combine egg white, milk and honey.
- Stir well to mix them.
- Wash your face and pat dry.
- Now apply the prepared egg white mask all over your face leaving the areas around mouth and eyes.
- Let it stay there for about half an hour until it dries out completely.
- Now use some warm water to wet the dried mask and using your fingers rub the egg white mask on your face.
- Wash off with plain water.
- Repeat twice a week.
Precaution: If you have a dry skin, avoid using egg white mask as it will further dry out your skin.
6. Coconut Oil for Cystic Acne
Although cystic acne is a result of excessive oil deposits in your skin, the healthy fats that coconut oil contains will actually help treat your acne cysts rather than worsening them off. Coconut oil is a rich source of lauric acid and caprylic acid. Both of these acids possess strong antibacterial, anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties that naturally fight off acne and pimples. Caprylic acid also provides anti-oxidant protection and is good for sensitive and oily skin. However, due to the presence of healthy fats, coconut oil is equally beneficial for lubricating and moisturizing combination skin as well as dry skin having acne. Vitamin E in the coconut oil not only fights off free radicals but also helps remove acne scars.
- Virgin or extra virgin organic coconut oil
- Take facial steam as mentioned in the first remedy here for cystic acne. If the acne is somewhere else, you can clean the skin there properly or even give steam there too.
- Now take few drops of coconut oil and apply this to your face or affected area.
- Gently massage your skin with this oil in circular motions.
- Now wash off your face with a mild soap and water.
- You may like to take a drop or two of coconut oil and moisturize your skin with this after washing it off.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar for Cystic Acne
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has astringent, anti-septic, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory properties and it also balances the pH level of your skin when applied to it. When taken internally, ACV detoxifies your body and reduces free radicals and harmful toxins. It also helps relieve inflammation and pain that you might experience due to your acne. The malic acid in ACV exfoliates your skin effectively. The astringent properties of apple cider vinegar help dry out the excess oil to cure acne. These reasons seem enough to use apple cider vinegar for cystic acne remedy.
- Apple cider vinegar (with mother)- 1 part
- Water- 1 part
- Mix ACV and water. If you have sensitive skin take 3 parts water and 1 part ACV.
- With the help of a cotton ball, apply this to your acne ridden skin.
- Let it sit there for about 15-20 minutes.
- Wash your face and moisturize it.
- If your skin can tolerate it for longer, let apple cider vinegar solution be there overnight and wash it off in the morning.
8. Green Tea for Cystic Acne
If you want to completely get rid of cystic acne, one of the remedies that you should add with all others is to drink green tea regularly. Green tea, loaded with natural antioxidants due to the presence of catechins, helps you get healthy skin from the inside out. The anti-inflammatory properties of green tea soothes your acne ridden irritated and swollen skin. The polyphenolic components in green tea have excellent anti-microbial properties to combat acne causing bacteria as well as other microbes on your skin that can lead to acne breakouts. And the bonus is that it will boost your immunity so that you can fight off bacterial infections that cause cystic acne. You can not only drink green tea but also apply it topically to get rid of cystic acne.
Ways to Use Green Tea for Cystic Acne
- Brew some hot green tea. Have 3-4 cups of this tea daily. As green tea is low in caffeine, you can enjoy even up to 6 cups of green tea a day.
- Make a green tea toner by mixing ¼ cup of freshly brewed green tea with ¼ cup of water. Apply this to your skin using a cotton ball twice a day, in the morning and at night. You can store this mixture in your refrigerator and use it up to 2 weeks.
- You can also add apple cider vinegar to make this toner more effective. In ¼ cup of fresh brewed green tea, add 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar with the mother as well as ¼ cup of water. Apply this to your skin twice daily before moisturizing. Store in refrigerator and use up to 2 weeks.
9. Turmeric for Cystic Acne
Various traditional medicine like Ayurveda have long used turmeric for variety of health conditions including skin problems. Now, modern studies have also confirmed the positive effect of turmeric due to the presence of ‘curcumin’ in it. Curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties and works by preventing synthesis of inflammatory leukotrienes and prostaglandins, pro-inflammatory neutrophil and arachidonic acid. Turmeric also has anti-septic, anti-tumor, and astringent properties. When used on boils and cysts such as cystic acne, it works by dehydrating them, draining pus and reducing inflammation. If your acne cysts give you pain, turmeric can also reduce this pain. You can take turmeric internally as well as apply it topically.
- Turmeric powder- 1-2 tsp
- Water- enough to make paste
- Add a little water to turmeric and get a paste out of it.
- Apply this paste to your acne cysts.
- Wrap this up with a gauze.
- Leave it for 30 minutes to few hours or overnight.
- Take care as turmeric stains a lot.
To have it internally, add ½ a tsp of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk. Have this daily.
Precaution: If you have gallbladder problems or are a pregnant or breastfeeding woman, or taking diabetic or anti-coagulant medicines, avoid having turmeric. Consult their doctor before consuming any herb including turmeric.
10. Juniper Oil for Cystic Acne
Juniper essential oil, derived from the Juniper tree has effective astringent properties that help in making your skin firm and tight by working on skin pores. It also has disinfectant and anti-bacterial properties that help fight off bacteria causing cystic acne and other skin infections like eczema. Its astringent properties are very strong and thus juniper oil should be used in very small quantities diluted with carrier oil.
- Juniper essential oil- 2-4 drops
- Carrier oil (jojoba, grapeseed, coconut or some other oil)- 1 small bottle
- Mix the drops of juniper oil with the carrier oil in bottle.
- Shake to mix it well.
- Clean your face and leave it wet.
- Take few drops of the diluted oil and apply to your skin while it is still wet.
- Gently massage this to cover the whole problematic area.
11. Neem for Fast Remedy of Cystic Acne
Neem or Margosa leaves, sometimes called Indian Lilac has been used by Ayurveda for skin problems since years. Neem works from inside out by detoxifying your whole system and purifying your blood. As per Ayurvedic theory, when you take neem internally, it reduces excess Pitta (inflammation) and Kapha (dampness, pus in case of cystic acne). However, neem leaves are bitter in taste and therefore many people prefer to take neem capsules. You may also apply neem oil topically to get rid of acne. It will contain break outs and reduce overall redness as well as inflammation. It should also be mentioned that neem has excellent anti-bacterial properties that can cure cystic acne and that too very fast.
Ways to Use Neem Leaves for Cystic Acne
- Chew fresh tender neem leaves (the new leaves that are still red in color are lesser bitter) in the morning.
- Take some neem leaves and boil them in water for about 5 minutes. Let it cool down. Now strain and have it.
- Make a paste of neem leaves by crushing them, with little water if needed. Apply this paste to your acne ridden skin.
- Take few drops of neem oil on a cotton ball and apply this to your cystic acne twice a day. You may leave it overnight too.
How to Get Rid of Cystic Pimples Overnight
And now some quick fix remedies to get rid of cystic pimples overnight!
12. Sea Salt Water to Get Rid of Cystic Acne Overnight
Salt water can clean wounds fast as it is an excellent drying agent but it stings too and you may feel uncomfortable while it works on open wounds. The same is true for acne. Salt water, especially the one you get from ocean takes as less as 20 minutes to dry up your skin and remove all the oil on your face. If you can’t get ocean water, get some sea salt and take a bath using this salt.
- Sea salt- 1 cup
- Bath tub filled with hot water
- Mix the sea salt in your hot bath water.
- Dissolve it properly.
- Lay down in this salt water.
- Take care so that the water doesn’t enter your eyes.
- Remain in this water for 20-30 minutes.
Precaution- Open wounds as well as acne can sting with the use of salt water. If you can’t tolerate this, avoid this remedy.
13. Honey for Overnight Cystic Pimple Remedy
Honey has great anti-bacterial properties. It can also make your skin smooth and well moisturized. The lesser known fact is that honey can even absorb oils from your skin and get you rid of pimples really fast.
- Dab some honey on your pimple well before you go to bed at night.
- Let it sit there for good 20-30 minutes.
- Now wash off and pat dry your skin.
- Go to sleep and check your reduced cystic pimple in the morning.
It is important to mention here that the effect of home remedies vary from person to person. For example, honey may or may not remove your pimple overnight. It depends upon your body’s acceptability of an ingredient. If your body responds well, you may get rid of your cystic acne overnight by using sea salt or honey!