Back acne scars, popularly also called bacne scars, are as embarrassing as facial acne scars. It is a different story that back acne gives you even more pain and discomfort than the acne breakouts on face. Just ask those who suffer with back acne and how difficult it is for them to avoid friction from clothing and carry backpacks! There are home remedies for back acne too but because right now we are discussing bacne scars, lets focus on how to get rid of back acne scars that make it difficult for you to wear sleeveless or tank tops! Acne lesions are just like wounds. When your back acne cause severe damage, your body either creates too much tissue or too little tissue. When more tissue is formed, it gives rise to a keloid or a hypertrophic scar and when too little tissue is formed, it results into atrophic scar. Hypertrophic scars or keloids look like raised thick skin patches whereas atrophic scars are the little depressions in your skin. Some of these depressions are very deep indeed, more than they are wide. These deep atrophic scars are called ice pick scars. Now when you know about the types of acne scars on back, lets work on some home remedies for acne scars on back!
Get Rid of Back Acne Scars- Top 15 Bacne Scars Home Remedies
1. Onion Juice to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars
Onion juice is anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. Due to its various mineral content, onion juice also regulate collagen production which goes into making skin cells rejuvenated. One research was conducted to test the effectiveness of onion extract in reducing hypertrophic and keloid scars with regard to their elevation, redness, hardness, itching and pain. Onion was studied with silicon gel sheet. Silicon maintains cartilage, skin, hair and nails. The results showed that onion extract affected the color of the scars whereas silicon gel sheet was effective in reducing the height of the scar. When both, onion extract and silicon were used together, they showed the best effect in removing scars. Thus, if used with natural sources of silicon like oats, cabbage, cucumber, flaxseed, olives etc. onion juice may be really effective in removing your bacne scars, especially the raised ones. Onion extract is extensively used in making of commercially available scar removal gels.
How to Use Onion Juice to Get Rid of Bacne Scars?
• Onions, preferably white ones- 1-2
• Oatmeal OR Flaxseed- 1-2 tsp
• Cucumber- 1 medium
• Grate or crush the onions and use sieve or cloth to extract its juice.
• Grate the cucumber and extract its juice in the similar way.
• Take the oatmeal or flaxseed, whatever you are using and grind to get powder.
• Add onion juice, cucumber juice to oatmeal or flaxseed powder to make a paste.
• Apply this paste on your back acne scars.
• Leave for about 20-30 minutes.
• Wash off.
• Repeat daily to get results. It may take few weeks to even months to show effect on your back acne scars, especially if they are bigger and stubborn.
2. Lemon to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars
Lemon juice is one of the best back acne home remedies due to its natural bleaching and skin lightening properties. While the citric acid in lemon lighten the acne scars on back, the alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) in it help remove dead skin cells as well assist in the growth of new cells grow. Vitamin C is also helps your skin regenerate new cells as it boosts collagen production in your body which helps in bringing back the elasticity to skin. To get all the benefits of lemon, you should drink a glass of water mixed with juice from one lemon everyday. For specific benefits in removing back acne scars, use lemon as per the following tips.
How to Use Lemon to Get Rid of Acne Scars on Back?
• Lemon juice- from 1-2 fresh lemon
• Warm water- to wash your back
• Cotton ball
• Wash your back with warm water and pat dry
• Pour lemon juice on the cotton ball.
• Apply this lemon juice on your acne scars. You sure need someone’s help as you cannot apply anything yourself on your back.
• Leave it there for 10-15 minutes and then wash off.
• It’s better to do this at night because if you step out in sun after applying lemon juice, your skin might get damaged as lemon makes your skin sensitive to sunrays.
3. Tomato Pulp to Get Rid of Bacne Scars
Tomatoes are rich in vitamins A, C and K, and also have vitamin E certain B vitamins. All these vitamins are crucial for skin. In fact, retinol which is a derivative of vitamin A is used in commercially available creams to cure acne as well as acne scars. The Beta Carotene content of tomatoes is absorbed by our body and then converted into retinol. So, while you can eat a lots of tomatoes to have your dose of natural retinol, you may also apply it on your back acne scars to get rid of them. Not to forget, tomatoes also have various antioxidants that help rejuvenate skin.
How to Use Tomatoes to Get Rid of Bacne Scars?
• Take a tomato and cut it into two halves.
• Now give one half of the tomato to someone who can rub the inside part of cut tomato on your bacne scars gently.
• After you’ve got it done, let the tomato pulp sit on your back acne scars for about 15-30 minutes.
• Now wash off with water.
• Alternatively, you may mash up some tomato pieces to make its pulp. Apply this pulp on your bacne scars and leave for half an hour then wash it off.
• You can also cut tomato in slices. Now lying down on your stomach, ask someone to place these tomato slices on your back acne scars. Let them be there for about 30 minutes. Then remove and wash off.
4. Sandalwood to Get Rid of Acne Scars On Your Back
This is an aromatic and nerve soothing remedy to get rid of bacne scars. Yes, the aromatic sandalwood is antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, cicatrisant, disinfectant, emollient and astringent. All these properties can fade your back acne scars while soothing your skin. You can either apply sandalwood alone by making a paste of it with rosewater or make special packs to be applied on your bacne scars. Whatever pack you make with sandal wood, use rosewater in place of plain water in it. Rosewater has anti-inflammatory properties and can also soothe irritated skin just like sandalwood apart from reducing damage from sun exposure. As roses are claimed to have antioxidants to strengthen skin cells and regenerating skin tissue, you will only get benefits by combining rosewater with sandalwood. Here are some recipes for sandalwood packs to get rid of your back acne. They use other scar reducing ingredients along with sandalwood and rosewater.
How to Use Sandalwood to Get Rid of Bacne Scars?
• Make sandalwood paste by mixing its powder with rosewater and applying this on your back acne scars. It will get dried in sometime after which you can wash it off. It is still better if you can keep this paste on your bacne scars overnight.
• Mix 1 tsp sandalwood powder with ½ tsp of turmeric powder, 5-8 drops of lemon juice and using rosewater make a paste out of this mixture. Apply this paste on your bacne scars. Remember that turmeric tends to leave stains. So, sit watchfully after applying this remedy and wash off the paste after about half an hour with lukewarm water or with mild soap and water.
• Mix 1tsp of sandalwood powder with 1 tsp of black gram flour, 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and ½ tsp of turmeric. Make a paste using rosewater and apply on back acne scars. Leave for 20-30 minutes and then wash off.
• Some of the other ingredients that you can use with sandalwood and rosewater include milk, glycerin, cucumber juice, almonds powder, oatmeal, tomato pulp, buttermilk etc. Just select your own preferred combination and apply on bacne scars to get rid of them.
5. Olive Oil to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars
Olive oil is acidic in nature. It also has antioxidants and the skin rejuvenating vitamins- E and K. These vitamins are known to heal and regenerate skin. The acidity of olive oil gives the bleaching effect that may fade away your bacne scars if regularly used. This oil is also an excellent moisturizing agent that helps reduce appearance of scars over time.
How to Use Olive Oil for Bacne Scars?
• Take about 1 tbsp of olive oil.
• Gently get the oil rubbed into your acne scars on back.
• Massage till the oil is completely absorbed by the skin.
6. Turmeric to Get Rid of Acne Scars on Back
The anti-inflammatory and healing properties of turmeric is known to all. It is also an excellent exfoliating agent. If used on newly formed acne scars on your back, you will get better results and may get rid of your bacne scars relatively faster.
How to Use Turmeric for Back Acne Scars?
• Turmeric- 1 tsp
• Milk cream- 1-2 tsp
• Yogurt- 1 tbsp
• Lemon juice (if using yogurt)- 5-6 drops
• Take 1tsp of turmeric powder.
• Mix it with enough milk cream to make a smooth paste.
• Apply this paste on your bacne scars.
• Leave for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water.
• If you have extra oily skin on your back, avoid using cream. Instead use yogurt and lemon juice.
• Take 1 tsp of turmeric.
• Add 1 tbsp of yogurt and 5-6 drops of lemon juice to this.
• Make a paste and apply on your back acne scars.
• Leave for 10-15 minutes and then wash off.
• Repeat daily to see the results.
7. Nutmeg to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars
Nutmeg is an aromatic spice used extensively in Asian countries for culinary purpose. Chinese medicine and Ayurveda of Ancient India use nutmeg for various ailments including skin problems. Apart from being anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, nutmeg is also astringent and anti-inflammatory. When used with honey, nutmeg can reduce your acne scars at back by reducing the infection and swelling around the clogged pores.
How to Use Nutmeg to Get Rid of Bacne Scars?
• Nutmeg powder- 1 tsp
• Honey- 1 tsp
• Mix honey and nutmeg powder.
• Apply this to your bacne scars.
• Leave for half an hour.
• Wash off gently.
As nutmeg is a strong astringent, it may be too harsh for sensitive skin. You should patch test nutmeg honey mixture before using this remedy for acne scars on back.
[Also Read: 7 Top Remedies to Remove Acne Scars]
8. Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars
While the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil can excellently heal wounds by stimulating collagen production, many other nutrients in it can work to fade away the scars including bacne scars. Coconut oil has vitamin E, vitamin K, capric acid among many other nutrients. Applying coconut oil on the scars left by acne breakout will help reducing them.
How to Use Coconut Oil to get Rid of Bacne Scars?
• Take a little coconut oil in your palms.
• Sometimes, due to cold weather, this oil assumes solid state. You may like to heat the oil a little. However, when you take the solid coconut oil in your palm, it will melt due to your body heat and in no time.
• Apply this oil to your back acne scars and rub gently.
• Massage with coconut oil till it gets absorbed in your skin. Do at least for 5-8 minutes.
• You may like to wipe off with a clean cloth after massaging.
9. Gotu Kola to Get Rid of Bacne Scars
Native to India and Sri Lanka, gotu kala herb has been an essential part of Ayurveda for treating skin conditions like acne, eczema, psoriasis etc. due to its anti-inflammatory and healing properties. While it is one of the home remedies for acne and back acne, gotu kola can also be useful in getting rid of bacne scars, especially when used during the healing process. You can easily find gotu kola tincture but can also use its tea for topical application on your back acne scars.
How to Use Gotu Kola to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars?
• Gotu Kola herb- 1-2 tsp
• Water- 1-2 cups
• Cornstarch- enough to make paste.
• First of all, make gotu kola tea.
• For this, boil the water.
• Add gotu kola to this and let it steep till the water cools down.
• Strain and add cornstarch to this tea. Add sufficient cornstarch to get smooth paste.
• Apply this to your bacne scars.
• Leave for about 20-30 minutes and then wash off.
10. Orange Peel to Get Rid of Acne Scars on Back
The delicious fruit orange has an extra effective peel that can be used for fading away your bacne scars. The retinol present in orange peel does the wonder by exfoliating your skin to drop off the dead cells as well as by stimulating collagen production. Collagen, through elastin fibers in cells, give you renewed and regenerated skin cells.
How to Use Orange Peel to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars?
• Oranges- 1-2
• Eat your orange and let its peel dry down in shade. It can take anywhere between 2-4 days or even more, depending upon the temperature and humidity of your place.
• If you want it faster, place the peels in oven on single layer cookie sheets at 170 degrees for an hour or till they dry completely. However, naturally drying the peels retain most of its beneficial oils and other nutrients.
• When the orange peel is all dried up, grind it to get the aromatic powder.
• Mix the orange peel powder with milk or rosewater or both to make a paste.
• Apply this paste on your bacne scars.
• Leave for 20-30 minutes and then wash off.
11. Cucumber to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars
Yet another delicious thing to fade away your bacne scars, the cool cucumber is a very good moisturizer and bleaching agent. The alkaloid content of cucumber helps regulate the production of skin cells and keep its pH level balanced.
How to Use Cucumber to Get Rid of Bacne Scars
• Grate 1-2 cucumbers.
• Press the grated cucumber to extract its juice.
• Soak a cloth in the juice and place this cloth on your back acne scars, just like a compress.
• You may even use cotton to apply cucumber juice directly on the acne scars at back.
• Remove the compress after 15-20 minutes and wash off.
12. Garlic to get Rid of Back Acne Scars
While the anti-bacterial properties of garlic cure acne, its sulfur compound are beneficial in eliminating acne scars on back. Sulfur compounds in garlic are anti-inflammatory and can be effective in preventing as well as reducing bacne scars.
How to Use Garlic for Bacne Scars Removal?
• Take a clove of garlic and cut it into two halves.
• Rub the cut garlic gently on your bacne scars.
• You may also crush some garlic cloves and make a paste using a little warm water.
• Apply this paste on your back acne scars.
• Leave for about 10 minutes and then wash off.
• You may have a slight itching or burning sensation when you first use garlic on your scars.
• If it becomes unbearable, it is advised not to use garlic on your skin.
13. Oatmeal to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars
Oats are not only healthy for your body but also for your skin. It can also remove those ugly acne scars from your back. Oatmeal has a natural capability to absorb dirt and impurities and also to exfoliate the skin gently. Exfoliation with oatmeal doesn’t take away the moisture from your skin in fact restores the natural moisture there. In the process it removes dead skin cells making your skin softer and fading away the bacne scars.
How to Use Oatmeal to get Rid of Bacne Scars?
• Plain oats, without any added ingredient- 1 cup
• Hot water- 2 cups
• Add oatmeal to hot water and mix well.
• In a few minutes, the oatmeal will get dissolved in the water and you will get a paste like consistency.
• Mix it again and use the back of your spoon to get even finer paste.
• Apply this on your back acne.
• Leave for 10-15 minutes.
• Wash off with lukewarm water.
14. Potatoes to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars
Potato is made up of almost 70% of vitamin C. This vitamin regulates collagen production and heals damaged skin. Potatoes also have vitamin B that are crucial for skin cells regeneration. And then there is niacin in potatoes that has skin lightening effects. So, you can use this very common but very useful potato as an effective remedy for back acne scars.
How to Use Potato for Bacne Scars?
• Take a potato and cut slices from it.
• Now make someone rub these slices on your bacne scars with gentle hand.
• Keep doing this for at least 5-8 minutes.
• Now stop rubbing the potatoes but don’t wash off its juice either.
• If possible, do this at night before going to bed as its better to leave potato juice on your scars for longer.
• You may also grate potatoes and extract its juice.
• Applying this potato juice on your back acne scars will give you the same effect.
15. Pineapple Juice to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars
Bromelain is the natural anti-inflammatory component in pineapple. This enzyme is even used in post-surgery blood clots that may form under the wound. Faster wound healing means lesser chances of scar formation. However, what is more, important in pineapple juice is the ascorbic acid that makes your bacne scars fade away.
How to Use Pineapple Juice to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars?
• Take pieces of fresh pineapple and mash them to extract its juice.
• Apply this pineapple juice on your bacne scars.
• Leave for 15-20 minutes and then wash off.
While these are all effective home remedies for back acne scars, some of them might work for you and others might not. The reason is that all our bodies are different and they accept things differently. Sometimes it will be your gut feeling which will tell you what remedies may work for your back acne scars and some other times you may need to experiment with one or more of these home remedies for bacne scars to find the one that will get you rid of those ugly scars on your back!