So, you don’t like your double chin! Nobody does! Chin fat is unsightly and makes you conscious every time about your looks. It makes you feel like as if you are overweight or old. If you have such feelings of unattractiveness about your double chin, work on it. You can actually lose your chin fat with the help of exercises and diet control. And if you got them due to your genes, you may need to hide your chin fat with certain make up and other tricks. I’ll tell you all but before that let’s know the causes of chin fat so that you can put efforts to reduce your double chin in the right direction.
What Causes Chin Fat?
There are more than one reasons for getting that double chin.
Your genes decide how much fat your body can get and at what places. Genes also affect water retention in your body. Both, fat and water retention can then make you overweight. You chin too get victimized. However, this doesn’t mean that you cannot get rid of a double chin. Certain lifestyle changes may help you in losing the chin fat but you might need to put a lots of efforts compared to those who have double chins due to other factors.
Your skin loses elasticity with age. Muscles also weaken and there occurs muscle loss too. Chin is no exception. In fact, chin is one of those places in your body that get affected by loss of collagen and muscles too easily. Home remedies to tighten skin can help you reduce fat of chin when it is due to sagging skin. Exercises of chin are also important in losing fat from here. And because poor diet and exposure to harmful UV rays may accelerated the process of aging skin, you also need to take care of your diet and protect skin from sun rays and chemicals as well as other pollutants.
No prizes to guess this one. Being overweight means you are at a high risk of not only getting various diseases but also a double chin. So, when you lose weight, you lose chine fat too. While you need to control your diet and do general exercises for weight loss, you also need to do certain specific chin exercises to lose fat over there.
Now you know, being overweight is the obvious cause of double chin but even if you are thin, you might get fat deposited at chin due to genetics or aging sagging skin! So, how to get rid of chin fat? You need to do certain chin exercises. Apart from that manage your diet and move your body to lose weight so that you also lose fate from chin area. Of course there are certain home remedies too that help you tighten the sagging chin skin to lessen your double chin.
Lose Chin Fat with Chin Exercises
There are two muscles in your neck. They are the sternocleidomastoid and platysma muscles. These muscles are responsible for keeping your neck and chin tout. When you do neck and chin exercises, you help tone up these muscles which in turn makes the skin of chin tighter to help get you rid of chin fat. Below are some such exercises that help you reduce double chin without surgery.
1. Tongue Press Exercise to Reduce Chin Fat
- A chair or a bench
- Sit on a chair or bench. Keep your back straight.
- Now tilt your head backwards and look up at the ceiling.
- While keeping your head in this upwards position, inside your mouth, press your tongue to the roof of your mouth. You may need to exert some force to do so.
- Keeping you tongue in the same position, lower down your head to touch your chin to your chest. Ensure, your upper back doesn’t bend.
- While doing the above step, you will be able to feel the contraction in your chin and at the front of your neck.
- Relax the tongue and bring your head to the beginning position.
- Repeat initially for 5-10 times. Do two sets of such 5-10 repetitions. Gradually increase it to 2 sets of 20 repetitions.
2. Pouting Exercise for Chin Fat Loss
- You may sit or stand, whatever is comfortable for you.
- Start with sticking out your lower lip. Pout your lower lip in this way and take it forward as far as you are able to.
- Hold for a second.
- Then lower your chin to touch your chest with your lower lip still stuck out. Don’t bend your back.
- Hold for a second and then return to normal beginning position.
- Do 5-10 repetitions in two sets. Increase the number of repetitions to 20 with time.
3. Chin up with Closed Lips
- Sit on a chair and keep your back straight.
- Now tilt your head back and up to look the ceiling.
- Keep your lips closed. While keeping the lips closed, open your mouth but do not actually let the lips get apart.
- Hold for 10-12 seconds.
- Now relax and bring your head down.
- Do 2 sets of 10 repetitions.
4. Pucker up Exercise to Lose Chin Fat
- Stand straight. Keep your arms straight down at both sides.
- Tilt your head up and back to look at the ceiling.
- Pucker your lips as if you were kissing the ceiling.
- Hold for 5-6 seconds.
- Relax and bring your head down.
- Do 2 sets of 10 repetitions.
5. Rotate your Chin to Lose Fat
- Sit or stand while doing this exercise.
- Keep your back straight.
- Bend your head downwards to touch your chest with your chin.
- Now start rotating your head in clockwise direction. Rotate it slowly and gently in a full circle going to your shoulder to back and then to other shoulder to the chest.
- Some people might feel uncomfortable doing full rotations. If so, rotate in semi circle, from shoulder to shoulder while keeping the head in the front and chin downwards to the chest.
- Repeat for 5 times initially and gradually increase to 10 rotations.
- Then do the same steps in the opposite direction. Rotate your head and chin anticlockwise direction.
6. Stretch Neck Sideways to Reduce Chin Fat
- Sit or stand straight.
- Take your right hand from over your head to place its palm on the left ear.
- Now bend your head sideways in the right direction gently putting pressure with your palm which is resting on your left ear.
- Hold for 8-10 seconds and then release
- Now change sides. Place your left hand’s palm on your right ear from over your head and pressing it gently, stretch the neck towards left side. Hold and then release.
- Repeat this 3-5 times.
7. Jaw Exercise for Double Chin Remedy
- Sit or stand straight.
- Keeping your lips closed, act as if you are chewing. Do this for 5-8 seconds.
- Now open your mouth as wide as you can. While opening the mouth, keep the tip of your tongue gently pressed against the back of your bottom teeth.
- Hold for 5 seconds and release.
- Repeat 2-3 times.
8. Pigeon Exercise for Double Chin Fat Loss
- Place the thumb of one of your hands under your jawbone at the place where this bone bends towards your ear.
- Place the index finger of the same hand on the opposite direction, on the jawbone where it bends towards your other ear.
- Now push your neck and head forward while your hand holds your jawbone still.
- Hold the position for 10-20 seconds.
- Repeat 4-5 times.
9. Stick your Tongue Out to Lose Chin Fat
- Stand or sit relaxed.
- Open your mouth. Make it as wide as you can.
- Now stick your tongue out, as far as you can. You will feel your neck and chin tighten up while doing so.
- Hold the position while you count to ten.
- Repeat 8-10 times.
10. Lift your Head and Lose Chin Fat
- Lie down on bed with your face up and head hanging down on the edge.
- Now lift your head slowly to bring it towards your chest as far as you can. Don’t bend the shoulders.
- Hold for 8-10 counts.
- Bring back the head slowly to its original position.
- Repeat once more.
- Then get up and sit in a relaxed position for a couple of minutes as hanging your head may bring on dizziness.
- After relaxing, repeat the exercise for two more times.
- If you are unable to hang the head as some people feel nauseated while doing so, avoid doing this exercise.
11. Platysma Exercise to Firm Sagging Chin
- Stand or sit in relaxed position with your face forward.
- Now place your lower lip over your upper lip.
- Tilt the head back while your lower lip is over the upper one. You will feel a stretch all along the sides of your jaw and the front of your neck.
- Keep on stretching till you can see the ceiling.
- Now hold for 10-15 seconds.
- Return to the starting position.
- Repeat 3-4 times.
- This exercise is especially good for sagging chin due to aging, sometimes called turkey neck. It will tone up the platysma muscles to tighten and firm the area of your jaw and neck which gives you chin fat.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Chin Fat
Apart from doing exercises, which is a must, you can also try certain home remedies for double chin. These remedies work by tightening the sagging skin of chin area due to aging or loss of elasticity.
1. Cocoa Butter Chin Massage
Cocoa butter helps moisturize your skin excellently. Hydrated skin is a per-requisite for a youthful skin. Additionally, the antioxidants in this butter neutralize the effects of environmental pollutants that speed up the process of aging skin. Cocoa butter will help keep your skin hydrated, firm and tight to help you get rid of double chin.
- Cocoa butter
- Take some of the cocoa butter and apply to your neck and chin.
- Massage gently over the area for few minutes.
- Leave it overnight or wash it off after about half an hour.
- Repeat daily.
2. Tighten your Chin Skin with Egg White
Egg white has this quality of tightening your skin. All the protein in it provides excellent nutrition to your skin and makes it tight. Egg white is said to be a good source of collagen. Collagen is the of protein that gives your skin flexibility and elasticity. Egg white promotes collagen production help reduce chin sagging as well as wrinkles.
- Egg white of one egg
- Apply a layer of egg white over your chin area.
- Let it dry completely.
- Now wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Do this daily or at least 3-4 times a week to tighten the skin around your neck and to get rid of chin fat.
3. Vitamin E Oil for Chin Fat Reduction
Vitamin E is a proven skin friendly oil. It improves the elasticity of the skin. Therefore, if your double chin is due to sagging skin like when the cause is aging, you can consider using vitamin E oil.
- Vitamin E oil
- Take some oil and gently massage your chin area.
- Massage with upward strokes, beginning from the lower end of neck and going towards your chin.
- Massage your neck and chin with vitamin E oil for few minutes everyday.
4. Green Tea for Reducing Double Chin
Green tea has caffeine and pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), both of which help in reducing water retention which might be giving you fat all over your body including chin. It also boosts metabolism so that you lose weight fast. If you are afraid of caffeine in it, relax because a cup of green tea has only 25mg of caffeine as against a cup of coffee that has 100-150mg of caffeine!
- Have 3-4 cups of green tea in a day.
- Take a green teabag, dip it in water for a minute, squeeze out the excessive water and place it over your double chin for about 10-15 minutes while you lie down.
5. Chew Gum to Reduce Chin Fat
Like the chin exercise, chewing gum also tones up your muscles responsible for keeping your chin tight. When you chew gum, your muscles around the neck, jaw and chin move continuously. This movement strengthens these muscles and tones them up. So, you may try to make habit of chewing gum for a few minutes a day. However, get sugar free gum to avoid gaining weight due to the sugar present in the normal gums.
Lifestyle Remedies to Lose Chin Fat
You need to change your lifestyle habits not only to lose chin fat but the overall fat of your body. Being overweight is a major cause of chin fat as is the lack of exercise. If you are not in the habit of exercising daily, all your body muscles and tissue become weak including those at chin area. So, start exercising and also have balanced diet to keep your weight in control. Here are some tips that can help you a lot.
- Aim for cardiovascular exercises and strength training.
- Running, swimming, brisk walking, dancing, cycling are all cardio exercises. Do one of these daily for at least half an hour. If not daily, at least do it 4 times a week.
- Do strength training by lifting weight. However, seek help of expert or gym trainer because doing these exercises in a wrong way can invite troubles for your body. When done rightly, you will lose weight and tone up your muscles.
- Avoid foods with saturated fat, trans fatty acids, cholesterol and sugar.
- Have lean meats such as those of chicken and turkey.
- Have less of carbohydrates. Get whatever you need from whole grains instead of refined flour and sugar.
- Eat foods with healthy fats such as oily fish, avocados, nuts etc.
- Don’t have processed foods.
- Eat lots of vegetables and fruits.
- Drink lots of water to avoid water retention.
If you make your lifestyle a healthy one, you won’t suffer from obesity and will definitely get rid of chin fat!