If you are overweight, there are ample chances that you have a double chin because the area under chin plumps up once you start gaining weight. However, excessive weight is not the only cause of double chin. Sometimes aging too leads to a double chin due to the simple fact that the musculous mylohyoideus, which is the muscle lying underneath your chin loses elasticity. Now if you are not an obese or an aging person and yet have a double chin, this may be due to heredity. Genes may give the members of your family a double chin! Genes are, among all other things, responsible for fat storage and water retention capabilities of your body, both of which can play a role in giving you a double chin. But the good news is that whatever may be the reason, you have fair chances to get rid of your double chin with correct lifestyle, exercises and some home remedies. Yes, even if it is due to heredity, you may, to a good extent, reduce your double chin! These are some home remedies that will get you rid of double chin. These Remedies have three parts- home remedies, chin exercises and lifestyle remedies.
I. Home Remedies for Double Chin
1. Vitamin E for Double Chin
Vitamin E has proved itself to be a very beneficial vitamin for skin. It increases the elasticity of your skin so that the skin doesn’t sag. Double chin is nothing but a sagging skin. There are two ways through which you can use vitamin E to reduce double chin.
1st Way: Have Vitamin E Rich Foods
Here is a list of such foods:
- Green leafy vegetables
- Wheat germ oil
- Dairy products
- Brown rice
- Barley, rye, legumes, beans, soy beans
- Sweet corn
- Nuts, peanuts
2nd Way: Massage Chin with Vitamin E Oil
A massage with vitamin E oil would stimulate circulation and tighten your skin. More blood flow and toning up of muscles means lesser sagging skin. This oil also reduces puffiness.
- Vitamin E oil (you may also puncture a vitamin E capsule to get this)
- Take some oil onto your palms and rub to spread it all over, more on your thumbs.
- Place your thumbs under your chin. It will come naturally but then also I’ll mention- your thumb tips will face your neck.
- Take your thumbs back and then up. This way, you will pull the skin of your chin back and upwards around your jawbone. This reduces double chin.
- Massage like this for a few minutes everyday.
2. Massage Double Chin with Wheat Germ Oil
Wheat germ oil will do what vitamin E oil does and more. Wheat germ oil loaded with vitamin B6, folic acid, Vitamin B complex, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and the goodness of vitamin E, is one of the best oils for an aging skin. Remember, sometimes double chin is due to aging skin. Even if its not due to aging, wheat germ oil will help tighten your sagging skin. What more, this oil also helps reduce extra fat from body and double chin is an extra fat.
- Take some wheat germ oil.
- Before you go to sleep, massage your neck and chin with this.
- Take your thumbs from the bottom of your neck upwards towards the chin.
- Massage for 15-20 minutes.
- Leave the oil there overnight.
- Repeat this daily before going to bed.
3. Cocoa Butter for Double Chin Reduction
A rich source of antioxidants, cocoa butter is an excellent emollient, a skin softening and moisturizing agent. It is high in fatty acids and deeply hydrates your skin to give it more elasticity. All this contribute in reducing your double chin.
- Take 1-2 tsp of cocoa butter.
- Rub this onto your neck and chin.
- Massage gently while moving your thumbs backwards and upwards.
- Do this for 15-20 minutes every night before going to bed.
4. Egg White for Skin Tightening at Chin
Egg white, loaded with protein, is a very good skin tightening agent. It tightens pores to get you rid of sagging skin and fine lines. It also removes dead skin cells. Therefore, making an egg white face mask and applying it down till your chin can not only help reduce double chin but also bring glow and youthfulness to your face.
- Egg white- from 2 eggs
- Milk- 1 tbsp
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Peppermint essential oil- few drops
- Mix all the above ingredients and whisk well.
- Your egg white face mask is ready.
- Apply this to your face, neck and chin.
- Leave it for 30 minutes or till it drys completely.
- Wash off using lukewarm water.
5. Glycerin Mask for Double Chin
Glycerin has long been known as an excellent skin moisturizing agent. The other name of glycerin is glycerol that you can find on the list of ingredients of many cosmetic preparations. Apart from being a very good moisturizing ingredient, glycerin also improves the stratum corneum barrier properties of the skin. The stratum corneum can be defined as the outermost layer of the epidermis which consists of dead cells or corneocytes. The stratum corneum forms a barrier so that the underlying tissue of skin are protected from infection, dehydration, chemicals and mechanical stress etc. Glycerol also acts on the mechanical properties of skin and improves skin’s elasticity. Thus, glycerin has immediate as well as long lasting effects on not only sagging skin but also wrinkles. Making a glycerin mask for your double chin may get you rid of it.
How to Make Glycerin Mask for Double Chin?
- Glycerin- 1 tbsp
- Epsom salt- ½ tbsp
- Peppermint oil- 2-3 drops
- Cotton pad
- Combine glycerin, Epsom salt and peppermint oil and mix them well.
- Soak the cotton pad in this solution.
- Apply this to your chin. Ensure it is applied properly all over your chin area.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat 3-5 times a week.
6. Milk for Double Chin
Milk consists of lactic acid and many other nutrients including Vitamin A, D, B6, B12, biotin, protein, potassium, calcium, magnesium, selenium among others. Selenium in milk is an anti aging agent that fights off free radicals along with protecting it against sun damage. It also helps maintain the firmness and elasticity of skin, a property that comes handy in reducing double chin. Calcium and vitamin D in it also boost collagen production and promote skin elasticity. In fact, milk’s antioxidant-rich properties help improve cell function and elasticity as well as boost collagen production in the skin making it tight and youthful. This may help relieve you of double chin too.
Ways to Use Milk for Double Chin
- Apply milk on your chin area. Leave for sometime and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Mix milk and honey to make a mask and apply this to your chin. Leave for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with lukewarm water. Repeat this daily.
7. Green Tea for Double Chin
You may consider increasing your intake of green tea. Because caffeine helps you get rid of water retention that may be causing your double chin. Human body cannot store caffeine which is excreted from the body through increased urine output up to 6 hours after you have it. In this way, caffeine actually helps alleviate water retention by acting as a diuretic. If, however, you have a double chin due to excessive weight, green tea can also help shed this extra fat by boosting your metabolism. If you wonder whether more caffeine is good for you or not, lets be aware that green tea has comparatively low levels of caffeine but has high levels of the amino acid L-theanine. It has a calming effect and also helps with concentration. A cup of coffee has 100-150mg of caffeine where as a cup of green tea has only about 25mg of caffeine. You may thus, like to start your day with a cup of green tea and have 4-5 cups throughout the day! This way, you can take advantage of caffeine in losing weight and reducing double chin as well as keep its drawbacks at bay!
8. Melon for Double Chin
The tasty, fragrant, flavorful fleshy melon fruit can also prove to be a good double chin reducer. One of the reasons is that it is high in water content and thus alleviates water retention. Additionally, the various nutrients found in this fruit makes it a good anti-oxidant agent having anti-aging properties that can fight off free radicals to get you rid of sagging skin. It has excellent toning and astringent properties contributing to make skin supple and tight. Vitamin A is present in the form of beta-carotene in melons. It prevents formation of free radicals and thus helps skin remain youthful. Vitamin B in it acts as a good toner for skin. The anti-inflammatory properties of melons too come in to reduce the plumpness of chin.
Ways to Use Melon for Double Chin
- Blend some melon pieces to get its juice. You may use a little water if needed. Apply this melon juice to your chin area with the help of a cotton ball. Leave for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with water.
- You may also mix some apple juice with the melon juice and apply this to your double chin to sit there for 15-20 minutes before washing off with water.
- Combine equal amounts of melon juice and milk. Apply this to your chin area and leave for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with water.
9. Chewing Gum for Double Chin
If aging, excessive weight and heredity is not what is causing your double chin, it may be weak sagging muscles due to lack of toning. If the muscles around your jaw are not toned, you may get a double chin which is barely existent but gives you a an uncomfortable feel when in public view. Exercises are the best way to tone the muscles of body, even those that are under your chin. When you chew a gum, that’s what you do, you make your muscles underneath your jaws exercise. As a result, they get toned up and you get rid of sagging skin shown as double chin. Just remember to chew sugar free gum otherwise you may gain weight and worsen the condition of your chin.
10. Drink Lots of Water to Reduce Double Chin
Drinking lots of water alleviates water retention, one of the causes for double chin. It also helps your metabolism and to get rid of excessive weight. Not only should you drink at least 8-10 glasses of water everyday (more when you exercise harder or when the weather demands), but also increase the intake of such foods that have high content of water such as cucumbers, melons, celery and lettuce etc.
II. Exercises for Double Chin
As explained earlier while talking about chewing gum, exercise helps tone the muscles around your jaws. This alleviates double chin. So, here are some real exercises that you must do if you want to get rid of your double chin.
11. Lift your Chin
This chin exercise stretches and tones the muscles of your jaw, neck and throat.
- Stand straight.
- Tilt your neck backwards.
- You must be able to see the ceiling with your neck lying backwards.
- Lift your chin in a way that your lips get closed with a stretching feel on your neck. In a way, you have to pucker your lips tightly.
- Hold this position for about 5 seconds. You may count 1-5.
- Let loose your neck.
- Stretch it again by lifting the chin. Hold for 5 seconds and let loose.
- Repeat this for 5-8 times.
- Do this exercise 4-5 times a day at frequent intervals throughout the day.
12. Platysma Muscle Exercise
The platysma muscle is there at the front of your neck, under the chin. A sagging platysma muscle gives you an ugly double chin sometimes called ‘turkey neck’. A toned platysma muscle group holds your neck and jaw line upwards but due to aging, it leads to a drooping chin and sagging jaw line. Do this exercise to tone up this muscle and get rid of double chin as well as turkey neck.
- Stand straight.
- Pull your lips backwards and inwards, against your teeth. Simultaneously, let the corners of your mouth turn downwards.
- Open your mouth slightly but ensure your lips remain pressed tightly against your teeth and the mouth corners too should remain turned down. You will be able to see the tendons on your neck that will stand out in this stressful position.
- Now wiggle your lower jaw in this position, up and down.
- Do this for 5-10 times.
13. Roll Your Neck
When you do the neck roll exercise, you not only tone up and stretch your jaw muscles as well as the muscles of throat and neck, but you also release all the tension from your shoulders. With this exercise, not only can you get rid of double chin but of neck and shoulder pain too.
- Stand or sit straight.
- Slowly turn your head towards left while inhaling. Try to bring your chin close to your left shoulder.
- Now, while exhaling, turn your neck towards right and bring your chin close to right shoulder.
- Repeat this for 5-6 times.
- Now while inhaling bring your neck downwards and touch your chin to your chest.
- While exhaling, roll your neck backwards till you see the ceiling and feel a stretch in your neck.
- Repeat this for 5-6 times.
- Gradually increase the repetition cycles from 5-6 to 10-12 over days.
III. Lifestyle Remedies for Double Chin
Double chin is a result of many factors- aging, sagging skin due to weak muscles, obesity, wrong diet habits, wrong posture etc. Therefore you also need to bring in some lifestyle changes so that you get rid of double chin faster. Here are some suggestions for you.
14. Lose Weight and Get Rid of Double Chin
If your double chin is due to your being overweight, you need to lose weight. You may take the following steps for this.
- Exercise regularly.
- Follow a healthy diet regime.
- Get help from home remedies for weight loss.
15. Mind Your Posture and Get Rid of Double Chin
Posture plays an important role in toning up your muscles. Wrong posture can lead to various body deformities too. If you slump, you create lumps and bumps on your body. Similarly if you move your mouth or neck in a wrong way or make them remain so, you damage your chin muscles leading to a double chin.
- Always stand or sit straight though in a comfortable position. Too much strain on spine can also lead to body posture problems. Too much bending, especially bending your face and upper body forward may give you a double chin.
- Never hold your phone between your ears and neck without the help of your hands. This may not only give you spondylosis but also a double chin.
- When reading or working on computer, keep your face as normal as possible. Do not bend it unnecessarily.
If you have been in a habit of doing all these, correct it now. Learn exercises to tone up your muscles in these areas or seek help of physiotherapist.
16. Proper Grooming to Make Chin Appear Single
Sometimes you need to pay attention to your clothing and make up so that your double chin may not give you an unattractive look. This, however, is a temporary remedy, till you get rid of double chin with all the home remedies and exercises mentioned above.
- Have a proper hairstyle. A haircut that rests right at the level of your chin and even a very long hair draws attention towards your chin. If you have a double chin, a medium cut that rests just below your chin will be best for you.
- Avoid choker necklaces as they are tight on the neck and emphasize your double chin.
- Proper make up can also come to your help. Apply make up in such a way that your jawline feature becomes more prominent than your neck. You can do this by using a powder having a shade darker than your skin tone. Blend the powder from ear to ear and into the neck area.
- Pay more attention to your blush and eye makeup. This draws attention away from chin area.
- Don’t highlight your lips by wearing attractive lipstick shades. Rather, wear a neutral lipstick shade so that your chin area doesn’t attract attention of others.
- When it comes to clothing, wear a broad, open neckline so as to draw attention away from your chin. Don’t wear shirts and blouses with high neck as well as those with turtlenecks. Also avoid tops with fancy detailing.
- Gentlemen having double chin can grow beard till the time they permanently get rid of double chin. However, keep your beard groomed neatly.
Remember, these are just tricks to hide or draw attention away from your double chin. Adopt one or more home remedies for double chin as given above and do regular chin exercises to get rid of double chin permanently.