If you are a firm believer of home remedies and like to use natural ingredients for various conditions, you may not be unaware of tea tree oil. After all, tea tree oil is used in so many natural remedies, right from treating acne to serious skin issues like eczema and psoriasis as well as sinusitis, tonsillitis and various other bacterial and viral infections. But tea tree oil for hair loss! Is this true! Is tea tree oil good for hair growth? Let’s explore! Let’s start with knowing the amazing tea tree oil and its properties.
What is tea tree oil?
Tea tree oil or the melaleuca oil is the essential oil extracted from the leaves of the Melaleuca alternifolia tree which is native to Southeast Queensland and the Northeast coast of New South Wales, Australia. Due to its strong anti-microbial properties, tea tree oil is used in low concentration in various cosmetics and beauty products, especially shampoos, skin creams for such conditions as acne and herpes. This oil is also used in manufacturing certain medicinal cosmetic products such as those for dandruff and lice. Having camphor like smell, tea tree oil derives its antiseptic, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties from its component- terpinen-4-ol. Among its many other compounds, tea tree oil also has this other component called 1,8-cineole which makes it allergic to your skin and scalp. However, when tea tree oil is produced commercially, its 1,8-cineole component is minimized so that it can be made as terpinen-4-ol chemotype having numerous benefits for skin and hair. It also seems apt to mention here that this oil is toxic when taken by mouth.
Is tea tree oil good for hair growth?
Yes! If you are suffering from hair loss as a result of clogged hair follicles or such scalp issues as dandruff, tea tree oil proves to be a good natural remedy for hair growth. But how? It helps remove all the dead skin on your scalp as well as to get rid of scalp fungi and bacteria. This obviously promotes hair growth. If you are still not convinced, read the following points to understand how tea tree oil works to let your hair grow.
- Dandruff or other similar scalp conditions like seborrheic dermatitis that lead to dead skin build up on your hair scalp may finally result into severe hair loss. Due to its fine antifungal and antibacterial properties, tea tree oil helps you get rid of microorganisms that thrive on your scalp leading to flaking skin that we know as dandruff.
- Not only dry scalp problems like dandruff but even oily scalp problems can lead to hair loss. While tea tree oil moisturizes your hair, it also helps regulate excess oil on your scalp that may clog your hair follicles preventing hair growth.
- Suppose you don’t have any problems regarding dandruff or oily scalp that may lead to hair loss. Even then you might suffer from hair loss or it might just happen that your hair doesn’t grow. One of the reasons behind such a situation is the use of commercial hair products loaded with chemicals and other harmful ingredients. The residue of your shampoos and conditioners as well as other hair care products may built up there in your scalp and prevent your hair from growing. Tea tree oil works to not to let these residues build up onto your scalp thus helping you grow your hair.
Having said all this, it is also essential to let you know that tea tree oil is not a panacea for all types of hair loss. If you are losing hair due to some autoimmune disease or by virtue of heredity or age, tea tree oil may not be able to bring back the growth of your hair!
Nevertheless, now you know when and how tea tree oil is good for hair growth. Let’s now proceed to explore the benefits of tea tree oil for hair.
Benefits of tea tree oil for hair
All the benefits of tea tree oil for hair as well as for skin and other body parts are due to its excellent antifungal, antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Tea tree oil effectively moisturizes hair so that your scalp remains free of dry and itchy scalp, the root cause of dandruff.
- It combats and prevents bacterial, viral or any other microbial infections so that your scalp remains healthy and in ideal condition to have hair growth.
- When you massage your hair with diluted tea tree oil, you help stimulate blood circulation to your head. This has anti-inflammation effects.
- Tea tree oil prevents build-up of dead skin cells as well as any other residue of hair products. This helps prevent dandruff and scaly itchy scalp giving way to long thick hair.
- Tea tree oil also controls the excess hair oil produced in the scalp that might block the hair follicles to prevent hair growth.
- Due to its anti-microbial properties, tea tree oil is one of the very effective treatments for lice too.
- Tea tree oil has anti-androgenic activity. Anti-androgen refers to medication taken by women so as to counteract the effects of male sex hormones. It is well known that male hormones lead to baldness. Anti-androgenic activity of tea tree oil may thus help contain the problem of hair loss. However, it also means that males should consult with doctor before using tea tree oil as it may have certain unwanted effects on their body.
- When diluted properly, tea tree oil can even solve the scalp issues of kids and babies such as that of cradle cap. However, while using for babies, tea tree oil should be taken in very less amounts and be diluted with some oil that is appropriate for baby skin.
How to use tea tree oil for hair growth?
Now arises the question- how to use tea tree oil for hair growth! So, here are some ways that can help you grow hair by using tea tree oil.
Massage with Diluted Tea Tree Oil with Carrier Oil for Hair Growth
Tea tree oil is very strong and can lead to allergies if not diluted. To have all the benefits of tea tree oil, just dilute few drops of it with any carrier oil and massage this oil into your scalp and hair. That’s all you need to grow your hair!
- Tea tree oil- 2-4 drops
- Carrier oil (olive, coconut or almond oil)- 3-4 tbsp
- Add tea tree oil to the carrier oil of your choice and mix well.
- Now massage this diluted oil into your scalp.
- You may even like to apply this oil to your hair. If so, take some more quantity of carrier oil as per the length of your hair.
- The components of carrier oil as well as tea tree oil also nourish the hair roots to give you beautiful locks.
- When you massage your scalp with this oil, you help unclog your hair follicles to facilitate hair to grow longer and thicker.
- Give your scalp a massage everyday if your problem of hair loss is severe. If not, do this 2-3 times a week initially and then once a week.
Use Tea Tree Oil with Olive Oil for Hair Growth
While olive oil has been mentioned as one of the carrier oils in the previous remedy, it sure deserves an exclusive mention due to the many benefits it gives to your hair when applied with tea tree oil. While tea tree oil works to give your hair thickness, shine and a microbe free environment to grow, olive oil makes them soft and smooth. It also makes a protective layer over your hair so that the toxins in your environment may not harm them.
- Olive oil- as per your hair length
- Tea tree oil- 3-5 drops (never more than this)
- Take the olive oil and warm it up a little. Do not make it too hot, just tolerably warm.
- Add the tea tree oil to the warm olive oil and mix well.
- Massage your scalp and hair with this mixture of oils.
- Leave it for at least half an hour.
- Wash off your hair.
- Do this daily for about 3-4 weeks to see the effective results on the texture and length of your hair.
Use Tea Tree Oil in your Shampoo
If you are that lazy kind of person who would not be able to massage scalp everyday with a diluted tea tree oil solution, this is for you. You just need to mix it with your daily shampoo and use it.
- Tea tree oil- few drops
- Shampoo/ Conditioner
- Add the tea tree oil drops to the bottle of your shampoo.
- Give it a nice shake just before you apply shampoo to your hair.
- If you are worried about the fact that tea tree oil gets washed away with your shampoo and you need it for some more time on your scalp, use it with your conditioner instead of the shampoo.
- Add the drops of tea tree oil to the conditioner you use.
- After shampooing your hair, apply this conditioner to your hair.
- Leave it there for a few minutes.
- Now wash off.
Now if you gain feel that the oil is washed away with the conditioner, do what is recommended in the next remedy.
Tea Tree Oil- Apple Cider Vinegar Hair Rinse
If you suffer from a severe problem of dry and itchy scalp that is causing your hair loss, try using both apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil. The components of apple cider vinegar combat the bacteria called ‘bottle bacillus’. This bacteria causes various problems to your scalp and hair like dandruff, itchy scalp, hair loss and even baldness. Here is the recipe for making this hair rinse to strengthen your hair along with eliminating the issue of dandruff.
- Tea tree oil- 5 drops
- Apple cider vinegar- 1 cup
- Warm water- 1 cup
- Bottle or jar for storage
- In the bottle or jar, place the apple cider vinegar
- Add tea tree oil to this and mix well.
- Whenever you shampoo your hair, you may use this hair rinse.
- After shampooing and conditioning, take a cup of warm water.
- Add one tablespoon of ACV-Tea tree oil mixture to this and mix well.
- Rinse your hair with this.
- Instead of washing it away, you may even leave this rinse on your hair for extra shine. This will also keep the goodness of tea tree oil right there in your scalp and hair.
Use Tea Tree Oil with Jojoba Oil for Dry Scalp
If you have this unique problem of oily build-up on your hair along with dandruff, you may use tea tree oil with jojoba oil. Jojoba is the closest resembling oil to the oil that is naturally produced by human skin. And thus, it is suitable for all types of skin and hair. It will control the oil production into your scalp while the tea tree oil does its anti-microbial activities to soothe your itchy scalp. Not only will you get rid of dandruff but will also grow hair naturally.
- Jojoba oil- 10 parts (for example 10 tbsp)
- Tea tree oil- 1 part (1 tbsp if using 10 tbsp jojoba oil)
- Almond oil (optional)- 5-6 tbsp
- Mix all the oils- jojoba, tea tree oil and almond oil if using.
- Store it in a bottle.
- Massage your scalp with this oil mixture 1-2 times a week.
Aloe Vera-Tea Tree Oil Hair Mask for Hair Growth
It so happens sometimes that tea tree oil dries out your hair and scalp. If you are among those people who have been facing the problem of excess dryness due to the usage of tea tree oil, you can use it with aloe vera that moisturizes hair and scalp exceptionally well. Not only does aloe vera help prevent hair loss, it also stimulates the growth of hair. This is due to certain enzymes present in aloe vera gel. Use aloe vera gel with tea tree oil for moisturizing and for other added advantages.
- Aloe vera gel- ½ cup
- Water- ½ cup
- Tea tree oil- 2-3 drops
- With the help of a spoon, blend the aloe vera gel to make it smooth and lump free.
- Add water to this and blend it again to make a smooth paste.
- To this paste, add the drops of tea tree oil and mix well.
- Now apply this mask to your scalp and hair. You will instantly feel the soothing coolness.
- Let it be there for about 30-40 minutes.
- Now wash it off with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
Extra Moisturizing Tea Tree Oil hair Mask
Here is one more recipe for hair mask made with tea tree oil along with yogurt and avocados, the ultimate moisturizing agents. As for yogurt, its rich protein content gives you strong and healthy hair apart from boosting hair growth. As you might be knowing, protein is one of the essential nutrients needed for the growth of hair and nails and other bodily organs. While eating sugarless and flavour less plain yogurt daily does help in growth of your hair, you can as well use it as a hair mask. Avocados, due to its fat content, gives much needed moisturization to your hair so that they do not get tangled and break in the process. Apart from helping prevent hair loss, vitamins E and B in them boost hair growth. While vitamin B is needed for hair growth, vitamin E repairs any damage on your scalp. So, add yogurt and avocadoes with tea tree oil and make an extremely useful hair mask for hair growth! Argan oil and honey in this recipe also help prevent hair loss and moisturize your hair respectively.
- Plain yogurt- 1 cup
- Avocado (mashed)- 1
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Argan oil- 8-10 drops
- Tea tree oil- 2-5 drops
- Take the yogurt in a bowl and blend it with the help of a spoon.
- Now add the mashed avocado in this and mix it well with the yogurt.
- Add honey and the two oils to this mixture of yogurt and avocado and mix well to get a smooth paste.
- Shampoo hair as you do regularly.
- After washing off the shampoo, apply the prepared hair mask to your hair.
- Massage it into the scalp for few minutes.
- Apply the mask to the full length of your hair.
- Now leave it there for about 15-20 minutes. You can use a shower cap to cover your hair if needed.
- After about 20 minutes, wash off your hair with shampoo and water.
- You can apply this mask once in a week or 15 days.
Use Castor Oil and Tea Tree Oil to Grow Long Thick Hair
When you use castor oil with tea tree oil, you double up the chance of having longer and thicker hair. Till now, you have known why tea tree oil is good for hair growth. Now. Let’s know about castor oil. Castor oil too, like tea tree oil, is an antibacterial and anti-fungal oil and thus helps combat and prevent dandruff and scalp problems. In fact, the ricinoleic acid in castor oil increases blood circulation to the scalp thus helping tremendously in hair growth.
- Castor oil- 3 tbsp
- Tea tree oil- 2-5 drops
- Jojoba oil- 1 tbsp
- Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Egg (optional)- 1
- Mix all the oils and store it in a dark colored glass bottle.
- You need to apply this oil mixture to your scalp at night before going to bed so that the oils get absorbed well overnight.
- Massage your scalp with this mixture of oils for about 5 minutes.
- Leave it overnight.
- In the morning, you will either need egg or your regular conditioner before you shampoo your hair because it is a little tricky to remove castor oil from the scalp.
- If using egg, break it and whisk it to get a smooth thing.
- Now massage the egg content all over your scalp for a few minutes. This will break down the oil and will also provide good nutrition to your scalp helping in growth of hair.
- Then wash your hair as you do with your shampoo.
- If you don’t want to use egg, just massage your scalp with some conditioner even before you apply shampoo to your hair.
- After massaging your scalp with conditioner for a few minutes, you can wash your hair using shampoo.
- You can do this 1-3 times a week.
Rosemary Oil and Tea Tree Oil for Hair Growth
Rosemary oil is also considered good for hair growth so when you combine it with tea tree oil, you can expect your hair to grow faster. Rosemary oil has antiseptic, antioxidant, and antimicrobial properties among many others. Rosemary oil works by stimulating cell division and dilating blood vessels. While working on these processes, it stimulates your hair follicles to produce new hair. When you mix it with tea tree oil, you work towards solving many other scalp problems that only ensures a faster hair growth!
- Olive oil- 3-4 tbsp
- Rosemary oil- 5 drops
- Tea tree oil- 3-5 drops
- Heat the olive oil to make it just warm (not hot)
- Add rosemary and tea tree oil drops to this warm olive oil and mix well.
- Massage your scalp with this oil for few minutes.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash off with water and shampoo.
Lavender Oil and Tea Tree Oil for Hair Growth
Lavender oil is a known effective remedy for hair loss. It can even treat hair loss which results from Alopecia, the autoimmune disease which causes your body to reject the hair follicles by identifying them as foreign objects. This quality is not even present in tea tree oil! If you remember, earlier when we had explored whether tea tree oil is good for hair growth in this article, it was mentioned that this oil cannot treat hair loss resulting from autoimmune diseases. Lavender oil is regenerative apart from having antiseptic and calming effects! So when you have many other scalp issues along with alopecia, you can safely make an oil blend with carrier oils and massage your scalp with this to grow hair. Here is one such recipe.
- Lavender oil- 3 drops
- Tea tree oil- 3 drops
- Rosemary oil- 3 drops
- Thyme oil- 2 drops
- Cedarwood oil- 2 drops
- Grapeseed oil- 4 tsp
- Jojoba oil- ½ tsp
- Mix all the oils well.
- Apply the mixed oil onto a small patch on scalp to test its allergic reaction, if any, on your skin. If it’s safe, proceed further.
- Before going to bed at night, apply this oil to your scalp and massage well.
- Massage your scalp with this oil blend for about 5 minutes every night.
- Cover your head with a towel and go to sleep.
- Wash it off in the morning.
If you have been losing hair due to alopecia, use this oil blend for longer times meaning a few months (anywhere between 6-10 months) to get positive result and see your hair grow gradually.
You can choose one or more tea tree oil remedies above specific to your hair and scalp problem. Selecting the right remedy and applying tea tree oil in the right way mixed with the right ingredient can sure help you in hair growth!
Anoo Sharma says
I am going to use it looks it will work on my hair.My daughter has oily skin & lot of Dandruff.she don't like to use oil on hair as she has oily skin advise what to do.She looses lots of hair too?
Rajni Ohri says
From where can be buy tea tree oil
Menka Singhvi says
how to use tea tree oil if u have oily scalp
Sophia Arnold says
I take aloe vera juice and put tea trea oil, lavender oil, and rose hip seed oil ( I use it on skin too) then spray it on my scalp and hair. I buy all my oils on amazon. Using oils is a good ideal if you have oily skin. You body is so dry that it overproduces oil to counter the dryness which is why your skin gets so oily. When you use oils for your beauty care your body is well moisturized and will stop producing so much oil
Rapid Home Remedies says
Tea tree oil can be applied on oily scalp. It is very effective and remove the excess of oil from the scalp
Rapid Home Remedies says
You can get it from any organic shop, super market or medical store
Rapid Home Remedies says
Make the oil a little warm and add lemon juice to it. This will help to get rid of dandruff.
Kari Won says
Has anyone tried the castor oil and tea tree oil?? If so, can i just mix these two ingredients together? I don't want to waste money on coconut and jajoba oil…
Angela Sherwin says
did you try this?
Kari Won says
Angela Sherwin no i haven't but i am going to right now!
Kari Won says
i don't really have time to leave it in over night and wash my hair in the morning though so i'll probably just leave it in for a few hours and then wash my hair later tonight.