Moles (nevi) can be defined as pigmented cells that are small, usually dark brown spots. Moles, however, can develop in any color ranging from red to brown to even black. You can find them on face as well as any part of your body. You get moles when the cells in your skin grow in a cluster and do not get spread throughout your skin. These cells, known as melanocytes, make the pigment which gives your skin its natural color. While most of the moles develop in early childhood and there may be about 10 to 40 moles till the time you reach adulthood, you may keep on getting new moles even after the age of 30. Some of them may remain same over the years while others may change color or become raised or even have hair on them. Most of the moles are harmless but few (only few in rare cases), may become cancerous. If you see a mole that looks different than the other existing moles or when you get a mole after the age of 30 or see changes in a mole’s color, height, size, shape, or texture, you should consult your dermatologist. If your moles start bleeding, oozing, itching, or become tender or painful, then also, you must see the doctor. If there is no such symptom and you just have the harmless moles on your face or body, follow these home remedies to get rid of moles.
Home Remedies for Moles
1. Garlic for Moles
Garlic is one of the best remedies to get rid of mole. There are certain enzymes in garlic that help break down cell clusters that make these moles. This make the cells spread out normally into the skin. Once the cells loosen up their bond, they lighten the pigmentation which gives rise to moles.
How to Use Garlic for Moles?
- Garlic cloves- 1
- Petroleum jelly or masking tape
- Apply some petroleum jelly on your skin around the mole. You need to protect this skin from strong garlic paste.
- You may even use masking tape to make a protective cover over your skin around the mole.
- Now crush the garlic clove to get its paste.
- Apply this paste on your mole.
- Cover this with bandage.
- Leave it for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the bandage, especially before going to bed so that your skin can breathe.
- Repeat this daily for 4-5 days within which the mole should fall off.
- If it doesn’t come off, understand that your body has not accepted this remedy and you need to try another remedy.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar for Moles
Apart from being famous as a preservative, dressing and marinade ingredient, apple cider vinegar is equally popular as the mother of home remedies. It can work wonders when it comes to heal your body. This vinegar not only helps remove your moles but is also a good remedy for other unsightly skin lesions like skin tags and warts. The malic acid, tartaric acid and many other acids present in this vinegar help dissolve moles and completely remove it from your skin.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Moles?
- Apple cider vinegar
- Petroleum jelly
- Cotton ball
- Apply petroleum jelly around your mole to protect the healthy skin from strong effects of acidic vinegar.
- Pour a few drops of apple cider vinegar on to your cotton ball.
- Now place this cotton ball on your mole in a manner that the vinegar touches your mole.
- Now secure it with bandage.
- Leave it for a couple of hours before removing the cotton.
- Repeat this thrice a day for a couple of weeks.
- In about a week’s time, the mole will begin flaking and drying up.
- Do not rub your mole. Let it fall of on its own.
3. Try Sour Apple Juice to Remove Moles
If you can’t stand vinegar’s smell and strength, you may still benefit from the acids found in apples. You may use the juice of sour apples instead. Just like the acids of apple vinegar, the juice of sour apples will dissolve the mole. However, it may take a little longer than what is taken by apple cider vinegar.
How to Use Sour Apple Juice for Moles?
- Sour cooking apples- 2-3
- Cotton ball
- Crush and extract the juice from your sour apples.
- Pour a few drops of this juice on a cotton ball.
- Place the juice soaked side of the cotton ball on to your mole.
- Secure with bandage.
- Leave for couple of hours.
- Repeat 3-4 times a day.
- You may need to do this for about 3-4 weeks or a little more to see the results.
4. Pineapple Juice for Mole Removal
Not only apple, even pineapple is good when it comes to getting rid of moles. It seems that the enzymes and citric acid in the pineapple juice work to lighten the pigmentation that creates moles. This makes them less visible. However, the canned pineapple juice doesn’t contain high amounts of citric acid so its better to use fresh pineapple juice everytime.
Ways to Use Pineapple Juice for Moles
- Take a cotton ball and soak it in pineapple juice. Place it over your mole and secure with an adhesive bandage or tape. Remove it after few hours. Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
- Apply some fresh pineapple juice on your mole before going to sleep. Leave it overnight and wash off in the morning.
- Cut out a piece of pineapple in just the shape of your mole. Place this piece on your mole and secure with adhesive bandage. After a few hours, replace the pineapple piece.
- Take ½ cup of pineapple juice and ¼ cup of coarse sea salt. Mix them to make a scrub. Use this scrub on your mole. This may help remove top layers of skin from your mole faster.
You need to apply pineapple juice to your mole for several days to see results.
5. Castor Oil and Baking Soda for Moles
Castor oil is a discutient. Discutient in medical terminology refers to something that causes dispersal or disappearance of a pathological accumulation. Thus castor oil will help remove warts, moles, and skin tags by dissolving and eliminating these unusual skin growths. This remedy takes some time to show results but it doesn’t leave scars on your skin.
How to Use Baking Soda and Castor Oil Mix for Moles?
- Baking soda- a pinch
- Castor oil- few drops
- Moisten the baking soda by mixing a few drops of castor oil.
- Now dab this paste on your mole.
- Leave it overnight.
- Repeat daily for few days till your moles get removed.
6. Dandelion Root for Moles
It is an age old folk remedy that your great grandma too may have used. Why and how dandelion root cures moles and warts is not understandable yet but the milky sticky resin of dandelion do help remove moles.
How to Use Dandelion Root for Moles?
- Wash off a dandelion root thoroughly.
- Now cut the end of this dandelion root using a sharp knife or scissors.
- Press the cut end of the root and squeeze it till you are able to see a milky sap oozing out of it.
- Holding the root, touch this end with sap on your mole. Rub it a little to transfer the sap to your mole.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day for few days.
7. Onion Juice for Moles Removal
This is yet another folk remedy for mole removal. Just like garlic, onion too has some enzymes that help remove your moles.
- Extract juice from a couple of onions. Using a cotton ball, apply this juice to your moles. Leave for 30-40 minutes before washing off. Repeat 3-4 times a day for about 3-4 weeks.
- Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and onion juice. Apply this to your mole. Leave it for some hours or even overnight. Repeat daily for about a month.
- Mix some salt to the freshly extracted onion juice or grated onion. Apply this to moles. Leave for 2-3 hours. Wash off with water. Repeat daily for a couple of weeks.
8. Iodine for Mole Removal
Iodine is an element that occurs naturally. While it is more popular for regulating thyroid and other hormones, it is also a good remedy for moles. if you apply it topically to a mole, iodine will penetrate the cells and eradicate moles. Get 5% iodine solution from any medical store.
- 5% iodine solution
- Bandage or gauze
- Petroleum jelly
- Clean the area where you have a mole.
- Apply a little petroleum jelly to the skin around your mole. This will prevent staining of this skin.
- Apply just a drop of iodine tincture to your mole.
- Cover it with a bandage or a gauze secured with adhesive tape.
- Leave it for several hours. You can even leave it overnight.
- Repeat daily for a couple of weeks.
It may give a little burning sensation on your skin but iodine removes a mole without leaving any scar.
9. Grapefruit Seed Extract for Moles
Grapefruit is an acidic fruit but is alkaline in reaction. Apart from many vitamins and minerals, grapefruit contains high amounts of citric acids and their salts. It seems these acids contribute a lot when it comes to eliminating moles.
Ways to Use Grapefruit Seed Extract for Moles
- Apply just 1 drop of this extract to your mole and cover it with bandage. You may also use gauze to cover it and an adhesive tape to secure the gauze. Leave it for several hours and then repeat the process. Do this 2-3 times a day for about 3-4 weeks.
- Take 1 part of grapefruit seed extract and 10 parts of avocado oil. For example, take 1 tbsp of extract and 10 tbsp of oil. Mix them well and apply some on your mole. Leave it for about 15 minutes and then wash off. Repeat 2-3 times a day for about 3-4 weeks or till you get rid of moles.
- You may also apply grapefruit pulp directly to your mole 2-3 times daily.
10. Frankincense Oil for Moles
Frankincense Oil is considered a holy oil in the Middle East and it was first used by the Egyptians for incense, skin care, stomach ailments and kohl. This oil contains sesquiterpenes which stimulates brain to control emotions and also helps various hormonal glands apart from strengthening immune system by increasing leukocyte activity. However, what may be the reason for its excellent wart and mole removal capabilities may be its similar abilities that are thought to combat cancerous cells. It consists of Phenols, Sesquiterpenes and Monoterpenes that can make the cells work properly by correcting them right at the DNA levels. Because moles are also there due to incorrect accumulation of cells, this oil seems to help remove them in the similar manner.
How to Use Frankincense Essential Oil for Moles Removal?
- Frankincense essential oil- 1 tsp
- Olive oil- 8 tsp
- Mix both the oils.
- Dab some of this diluted frankincense essential oil on your mole.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day for few weeks or till you get rid of moles.
11. Oregano Oil for Moles
Oregano essential oil also contains phenols, sesquiterpenes and monoterpenes just like frankincense oil. It also contains other elements like carvacrol, gamma-terpinene, para-cymene, beta caryophyllene, myrcene and thymol etc. Apart from being antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antiparasitic, antiseptic, antiviral, it is also an immune stimulant oil. It can be one of the effective remedies for moles. However it is very strong and thus needs to be diluted before applying to skin.
How to Use Oregano Oil to Remove Moles?
- Oregano oil- 1 tsp
- Almond oil- 8 tsp
- Mix both the oils.
- Mix them thoroughly.
- Apply some of this on your moles once daily.
- You will see the mole getting lighter in just about 7-10 days and it may disappear in another few days.
12. Flaxseed Oil for Moles Removal
Flaxseed or linseed is considered a healing element due to its various components including the most popular essential fatty acids, or EFAs. These essential fatty acids, also known as Omega oils present in flaxseed oil protect cell membranes by making them accept only healthy substances and by barring the damaging ones. This may be one of the reasons why it can heal moles too. The essential fatty acids of flaxseed oil, in fact, are mainly responsible for its excellent skin-healing properties. It can even cure eczema, psoriasis and rosacea, primarily due to the anti-inflammatory properties of EFAs. You can very effectively use flax oil and see the edges of your moles loosening up in a few days and the mole itself just falls off after some more days.
How to Use Flaxseed Oil for Moles?
- Flaxseed powder- 1 tbsp
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Flax oil- enough to make paste
(Adjust the ingredients as per your requirement, you just need to make a paste with all these things)
- Mix ground flaxseed, honey and flax oil to make a paste.
- Apply this to your moles.
- Repeat thrice a day till you get rid of moles.
13. Pomegranate for Mole Removal
Pomegranate is a healthy fruit and its peel can actually get you rid of moles. It is a rich source of bioactive compounds and is a folk remedy popular since centuries. Pomegranate peel has the highest antioxidant properties. It contains phenolics, flavonoids, proathocyanidins and ascorbic acid that may help remove moles. The high amount of phenolics contained in pomegranate peel is responsible for its strong antioxidant properties. Here’s how you can use it with lime for removing moles.
How to Use Pomegranate Peel to Remove Moles?
- Pomegranate peel
- Lemon juice
- Let the peel of pomegranate dry out completely.
- Grind the dry pomegranate peel to get its powder.
- Add enough lemon juice to this powder to make a paste.
- Apply this to your mole daily.
- Repeat this for few days till you get rid of your mole.
14. Radish for Moles Removal
Radishes are excellent detoxifiers and are also rich in vitamin-C, folic and anthocyanins. They are also high on antioxidants. In fact, the isthiocyanates present in radishes affect the genetic pathways of cancerous cells to cause cell death causing elimination of cancerous cells. Such a rich source of healing components can also combat the cells disorder that give rise to moles.
Ways to Use Radish for Moles
- Take slices of radish and place them on the moles daily for a few weeks.
- Grate some radish and apply this to your moles.
- Grind some pieces of radish to get its paste. Apply this to your moles 2-3 times a day.
15. Fig Stem Juice for Moles
This is a folk remedy used since ages not only for mole removal but also for the removal of warts and skin tags. The milky sap of fig stem does wonders with this abnormal skin lesions though the exact reason for its effectiveness is not exactly known.
How to Use Fig Stem Juice on Moles?
- Take a fig stem and squeeze the open or cut end.
- Touch this end to your mole when you see milky juice oozing out of it.
- This will directly apply the juice to your moles.
- Do this once a day till you get rid of moles.
- You may feel itch or irritation when the juice works on the mole. However, you should not touch or scratch away the juice.
- If your body respond to fig juice, you mole may disappear in as little as 5 days.
16. Banana Peel for Mole Removal
This is yet another very effective remedy not only for moles but also for skin tags. Banana peel is not only rich in dietary fiber (it is actually eaten by some communities in Africa), it is also a good source of antioxidants. Banana peels are rich in Polyphenols and carotenoids, the phytochemicals with antioxidant properties and you may find these compounds more in unripe banana peel than the ripe banana peel. However, this doesn’t explain exactly how this fruit peel removes moles but when antioxidants can fight free radicals and protect you against pigmentation, it can also help in removing moles. This is actually proven as many people since ages have been able to remove moles by this remedy.
How to Use Banana Peel to Remove Moles?
- Banana peel
- Duct tape or adhesive bandage
- Cut a small piece from the banana peel.
- Place this on your mole, the white fibrous part (the inside of banana peel) touching your mole.
- Secure it with tape or bandage.
- Leave it overnight.
- Repeat every night till you get rid of moles.
These were some widely used and proven remedies for mole removal. Use them and get rid of moles.