Long or short, bouncy shining thick hair makes you confident! This is a proven fact, hair and self-image go hand in hand. When even a ‘bad hair day’ spoils your mood, how can you live with your thinning hair every day! While you and I may think this problem of thinning hair is concerned with men only, we need to check facts. Women too suffer from this and they make up 40% of such population. Many of you may see your hair thinning all over and many others may see receding hairline from the center part of the scalp which widens over time. And the worst case is when there are bald patches at the crown of your head. The only relief is that women do not get receding front hairline like men. There are many modern ways of making your hair grow thicker such as medicines, laser devices, hair transplants etc. But they are either very expensive or come with many side effects and sometimes both! On the other hand, there are many home remedies for thicker hair that can give you beautiful thick hair. Just that they need your time, effort and patience along with pampering care for your hair! And yes, these home remedies for thick hair are effective for both, men as well as women.
Natural Ways to Get Thicker Hair
1. Coconut Oil Massage for Thicker Hair
Women from many Asian countries like India, Sri Lanka etc. massage their hair with nutrient-rich coconut oil for countless generations. Nobody can question the hair quality of these women. They do it because they’ve seen their mothers and grannies do this but why should you massage your hair with coconut oil? Because this oil contains lauric acid and capric acid. Lauric acid is a triglyceride which gives out a monoglyceride called monolaurin. This element protects your hair against microbes that are one of the causes of hair loss. Capric acid, another triglyceride in coconut oil does the same function. Apart from this, coconut oil has vitamin E and other fatty acids that lock in the moisture in your hair and provide right nutrition too. As a fine moisturizer, coconut oil strengthens your hair shaft right from the root and also prevent breakages.
How to do Coconut Oil Massage for Thicker Hair?
- Coconut oil- 1-3 tablespoons depending upon your hair length.
- Warm water- 1 bowl
- Towel- 1
- You can either warm your coconut oil or use it as it is.
- Take some oil on your palm and rub with the other palm to feel the warmth of the oil.
- Now apply this oil on your scalp and massage using your fingertips.
- Repeat this for all the areas on your scalp.
- Also, apply some oil on your hair strands to lock in the moisture there too.
- Keep on massaging with gentle hands for about 15-20 minutes. This will lead to good blood circulation, also needed for healthy hair.
- Now take the towel and dip this in the warm water.
- Wring out the towel to discard excess water.
- Place this warm towel on your freshly massaged head covering all your hair. Be careful, the towel should only be warm and not hot.
- Let the towel be on your head for about 30 minutes.
- Now you are ready to wash your hair.
- Alternatively, you may just massage your hair with coconut oil and instead of using warm towel treatment, you may leave it overnight and wash your hair next day.
- Repeat twice or thrice a week for better results.
Coconut oil massage is one of the simplest yet best home remedies for thicker hair.
2. Indian Gooseberry (Amla) for Thicker Hair
Amla or the Indian gooseberry is a rich source of vitamin C, antioxidants and flavonoids. Eating this nutrition powerhouse can give you many health benefits. Applying the same amla on your scalp can not only give you thicker hair but can also prevent premature graying of hair. Fatty acids of amla nourish and moisturizes your hair while its nutrients help in hair growth. You can make your own amla oil at home by learning how to boil amla in coconut oil.
Homemade Amla Oil Recipe for Thicker Hair
- Indian gooseberries powder – 250 g + 100 g
- Coconut oil- 500 ml
- Water- 4 liters + a little more
- A soft clean cloth to filter oil
- Mix 250 g of amla powder to 4 liters of water.
- Bring this to boil.
- Boil it till the quantity remains one-fourth of its original quantity.
- Keep on stirring while it boils. Put off the flame when only 1 liter of this mixture remains.
- Now take the other 100 g of amla powder and with the help of some water, make a paste out of this.
- Add this paste to 500 ml of coconut oil.
- Add the previously prepared 1 liter amla decoction to the oil-amla mix.
- Bring this to a boil and then heat it on medium flame. Keep stirring otherwise amla powder will stick to the pan’s bottom.
- You need to heat the oil, water, amla mix till all the water in it gets evaporated.
- After some time, you’ll be able to see oil separating from the muddy form of amla powder.
- You may test to see whether the water has evaporated or not. For this, take some amla paste out of boiling oil in to a spoon. Take this spoon close to the flame of the other burner of your gas stove. If the mixture splutters and makes noise, it means there is still water present in the mixture.
- Keep on heating while continuously stirring the oil mix.
- When you see the amla powder forming a hard crust like structure and all the oil showing separately, your oil is ready to be filtered.
- To be double sure, again test by taking some amla mix in a spoon close to the flame of other burners. If it doesn’t make a spluttering sound, the water has evaporated.
- Strain the oil while it’s hot. Once it cools down, straining would be difficult.
- Use a soft cloth to strain the oil.
- You’ll get a yellowish oil giving away aroma of amla. Store this in a bottle or a jar.
- Apply this oil to your scalp and massage with it twice or thrice a week to get thicker hair that shines without any gray hair.
3. Ayurvedic Homemade Shampoo to Get Thicker Hair
Ayurveda tells us about three fine herbs that can give you super shining voluminous hair. These three ingredients are Reetha (Soapnut), Amla (Indian Gooseberry), and Shikakai (Acacia concinna). You know the benefits of amla for hair as you have gone through the previous remedy for thick hair which talks about amla oil. Reetha or soap-nut, as you may assume from its name, is a very good natural cleansing agent which eliminates any microbes present there in your scalp or hair. It also cures dandruff and nourishes your hair by bringing back its natural texture. Shikakai, which literally means ‘fruit for hair’ maintains the pH level of your scalp and also retain its natural oils. It strengthens and conditions your hair in a way which gives a lot of volume to your hair. Using these three herbs you can make a herbal shampoo at home to get thicker hair.
How to Make Reetha Amla Shikakai Herbal Shampoo at Home?
- Reetha (dried)- 100 g
- Amla (dried)- 100 g
- Shikakai (dried)- 100g
- Water- 2 liters
- Hibiscus powder (optional)- 1 tsp (for conditioning if your hair is too dry)
- Place reetha, amla and shikakai in a bowl and mix them.
- Pour water over them.
- Let the mixture soak overnight.
- In the morning, you’ll find a dark colored water in the bowl with softened herbs.
- Mash the herbs with the help of a masher.
- While mashing, you’ll see some froth which is due to soapnut or reetha.
- After mashing the herbs in the water, boil the water with mashed herbs still in them.
- Now heat the mixture and bring it to a boil.
- Just as the mixture starts boiling, put off the flame.
- Let it cool down.
- Once it has cooled down, once again mash the herbs to take out all their goodness into the water.
- Now strain using a sieve or cloth.
- Store this shampoo, which is more liquid than the regular shampoos, in a bottle.
- Use the required amount to wash your hair and store the rest of it for next hair wash.
- If your hair is too dry, you may feel this shampoo a little rough on your hair. In such situation, use hibiscus powder as a conditioner. Mix this powder in some water to make a paste and apply on your hair. Leave for some time and then wash off.
4. Hibiscus Oil for Thicker Hair
The beautiful hibiscus flower has natural emollient and a high amount of Vitamin C. It also has both astringent and moisturizing properties which makes it suitable for both types of hair, oily as well as dry. If your hair is thinning due to breakage as a result of dry tangled hair, hibiscus oil is a great remedy for you as this flower contains mucilage or a slippery extract which can detangle your hair as well as soothe your dry scalp.
How to Make Hibiscus Hair Oil at home?
- Hibiscus flowers- 2-3
- Hibiscus leaves- 2-3
- Coconut oil- ½ cup
- Mortar and pestle
- Using mortar and pestle, crush the hibiscus flowers as well as leaves to get a paste.
- Pour the coconut oil into a small vessel.
- Add crushed hibiscus herb to this.
- Boil this for about 5 minutes.
- Strain the oil.
- Let it cool down.
- Massage your hair and scalp with this homemade hibiscus oil.
You may leave the oil on the scalp overnight or wrap your hair with a warm towel for about 20-30 minutes and then wash off with your regular shampoo or the Reetha-Amla-Shikakai shampoo from our previous remedy for thicker hair. If you want to have faster results, you may want to make a hibiscus hair mask, given in our next remedy, and apply it to your hair before washing it off.
5. Hibiscus Mask for Thicker Hair
If you are worried about your graying hair along with hair loss, this is a very good remedy for you. This homemade hair mask made with hibiscus and curry leaves will not only strengthen your hair from root to tip and stop your hair loss but will also give you soft silky and shining hair curing your problem of premature graying of hair too.
How to Make Hibiscus Hair Mask at Home?
- Hibiscus leaves- a handful
- Curry leaves- the handful
- Water to make a paste
- Mix hibiscus and curry leaves.
- Using a mortar and pestle (or blender), crush the leaves to get a paste. Use some water if needed.
- Oil your hair. You may use hibiscus oil, coconut oil, amla oil or any other oil that will nourish and strengthen your hair.
- After oiling your hair, apply the hibiscus mask to your hair.
- Leave it for about an hour.
- Wash off with reetha-amla-shikakai shampoo or any other mild shampoo.
- Do this 1-2 times a week for at least 3-4 weeks.
6. Honey Remedies for Thick Hair
One of the major causes of thin hair due to hair loss is lack of nutrients that your hair face. If you do not include well-balanced nutrients in your diet, your hair will gradually become weak and start falling off. Some ingredients also nourish your hair when applied directly to your scalp and hair. Honey is one of them. Honey contains lots of vitamins and minerals. It also acts as the humectant which attracts moisture and keeps your hair hydrated so that they do not break due to dryness. Honey is one of the great foods for your hair that provides it with proper nourishment.
1st Way to Use Honey for Thick Hair: Honey-Sage Hair Tonic
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Dried Sage- 1 tbsp
- Olive oil or Coconut oil- ½ tbsp
- Water- ½ cup
- Mix all the ingredients to make your nourishing hair tonic.
- Massage your scalp with this for about 5 minutes.
- Leave for half an hour.
- Wash off with your regular shampoo or some herbal shampoo.
- Repeat once every week.
2nd Way to Use Honey for Thick Hair: Honey Hair Conditioner
- Honey- 2 tbsp
- Olive oil or Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Yogurt or Buttermilk- 1 tsp
- Heat your oil to make it warm. Take care not to make it hot.
- Add honey and yogurt to warm oil. If your hair is oily, use buttermilk instead of yogurt.
- Mix well to get a well-blended mixture.
- Wet your hair to make it damp. You may also use this conditioner after washing your hair.
- Apply the conditioner to your hair and wear a shower cap to keep the heat trapped into it.
- Leave for about 15-20 minutes.
- Now rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
- Repeat once in a week or fortnight.
7. Avocado Mask for Longer Thicker Hair
Avocado is a powerhouse of proteins and vitamins A, D, E and B6, not to forget magnesium, folic acid, amino acids, copper and iron. With all these powerful nutrients, avocado makes a very good remedy for not only thicker but also healthy long hair.
Make Avocado Mask for Thicker Hair at Home
- Avocado- ½ -1, depending upon your hair length
- Egg white- from 1 egg
- Honey- 2 tsp
- Olive oil- few drops
- Take out the pulp of avocado and mash it properly.
- Add egg white, honey and olive oil to this mashed avocado pulp.
- Mix well.
- Apply this hair mask to your hair.
- Leave for half an hour.
- Wash off.
- Repeat 1-2 times a week.
8. Onion for Thicker Hair
Onions not only make your dishes tastier but can also make your hair grow thicker, thanks to their high sulfur content. Sulfur in onion juice increases blood circulation and make your hair stronger by opening up the pores of hair follicles. These hair follicles sometimes get blocked due to dirt, oils or some infection. Sulfur also helps boost collagen production in your tissues which helps in growth of hair. Shallots and red onions have higher sulfur content so try to use these types only when you want your hair thicker.
How to Use Onions for Thicker Hair?
- Get 2-3 shallots or red onions
- Cut them in small pieces.
- Crush the chopped onion to extract their juice.
- Apply this onion juice on your scalp.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off your hair with a shampoo.
9. Essential Oils for Thicker Hair
Essential oils are very potent for various health conditions. They are equally effective in giving you thicker hair. For example, rosemary oil works at a cellular level and increases cell divisions. It also expands the blood vessels which helps in proper blood circulation. Lavender oil and atlas cedarwood oil, both have long been used by aromatherapy practitioners to cure alopecia (loss of hair in patches). Jojoba oil has excellent moisturizing and hydrating properties due to which it can moisturize deep down to the hair follicles. It also improves blood circulation and repairs dry damaged hair. Here is a recipe for excellent essential oil mix that can do wonders for you to get you thicker hair.
Essential Oils Blend for Thicker Hair
- Thyme oil- 2 drops
- Atlas cedarwood oil- 2drops
- Lavender oil- 3 drops
- Rosemary oil- 3 drops
- Jojoba oil- ½ tsp
- Grapeseed oil- tsp
- Mix all the listed essential oils.
- Massage your scalp with this oil blend at night for about 2-3 minutes.
- Leave overnight.
- Wash off in the morning.
10. Licorice Herbal Remedy for Thicker Hair
Licorice herb, and not candy, makes one of the best remedies for thicker hair. Egyptians have used this from 3rd century BC! Licorice is soothing to dry and irritated skin and scalp. It has such properties that opens the pores of your scalp and help all the nourishment reach to the hair shaft and follicles.
How to Use Licorice Herb for Thicker Hair
- Milk- 4 tbsp
- Licorice powder- 2 tbsp
- Saffron- a pinch of it
- Add licorice powder and saffron to milk.
- Mix well.
- Apply the resultant paste on your bald patches or areas of the scalp where hair is thinning.
- Leave the paste overnight.
- Wash off in the morning.
One of the basic causes of hair loss and hair thinning is that your body doesn’t get enough and the right nutrition. When you eat properly, you also supply nutritional values to your hair. As our hair is made up of protein, Keratin, you should have enough protein-based foods like eggs, chicken, tofu, soybean, kidney beans etc. Also have foods rich in vitamins A, B, C, E, and lots of green leafy vegetables to get minerals and antioxidants. If you follow proper diet guidelines and are able to find out the best remedies for your type of hair, of course by trying them, you will definitely get fuller thicker hair!