Pus cells in urine mean that your urine contains such amount of pus cells that is greater than what it should be. Normally, a male has up to 5 pus cells/HPF (high power field of the microscope) and a female may have 10 pus cells/HPF. Thus, pus cells in urine greater than 10 pus cells/ microlitre of urine can be termed as pyuria, the medical term for pus cells in urine. This condition of increased pus cells in urine indicates that there is something wrong in your urinary tract which can be anywhere from a kidney to your bladder. Usually, this is an infection.
Some of the common causes of pus cells in urine include urinary tract infection, kidney infection, sexually transmitted diseases, or an abscess near the kidney. Sometimes, pyuria may also be caused by the presence of stones in the urinary passage or some kind of surgery there and not because of any infection. It is of utmost importance that you get your urine tested in laboratory to find out the intensity of the problem with pus in your urine so that right treatment can follow as this condition is a symptom for some other disease and not a disease itself. If there is nothing very serious, you may treat it with certain home remedies for pus cell in urine.
Remedies for Pus Cells in Urine
1. Drink Plenty Of Water and Other Fluids
Drinking water in the normal course too is a good habit for overall health. It becomes all the more important when you have pus cells in urine that may result from urinary tract infections. When you drink a lot of water it helps increase urine output this helps in flushing out the bacteria through the urine, the bacteria that infects your urinary tract. Try to drink at least eight to ten glasses of water every day. You may also include other fluids in your daily intake of liquid as given under here:
- Fruit Juices
- Vegetable Juices
- Fresh Coconut Water
- Vegetables and fruits with high water content like water melon, oranges etc.
Vitamins and minerals present in other fluids also help strengthen your defence mechanism so that you are better geared to fight off any infection leading to pus cells in your urine.
2. Baking Soda for Pus Cells in Urine
Baking soda promotes an alkaline pH balance in your body. Although some acidity is essential for certain basic body functioning like that of the digestive system, a higher level of acidity gives rise to many diseases. Increased acidity in urine can prevent your infections from curing and the pus cells may not reduce. Baking soda helps in balancing acid-alkaline nature of urine by making it more of alkaline.
- Baking soda- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 glass
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Start having baking soda mixed water at the first signs of infection or when you see something wrong in your urine.
3. Cranberries Juice for Pus Cells in Urine Due to UTI
Cranberry juice has long been associated with the treatment of urinary tract infection (UTI). Cranberries contain 80% water and 10% carbohydrates and is a source of flavonoids, anthocyanins, catechin, triterpenoids, ascorbic acid and organic acids like citric, malic, and quinic acids, and some amounts of benzoic and glucuronic acids. This low amount of benzoic acid reduces the pH of urine. There is one more mechanism that helps treat UTI and get rid of pus cells in urine and that is antiadherent properties of cranberries which means it prevents bacteria from adhering to the bladder surface. There are two compounds in cranberries that inhibit E. coli adhesions to uroepithelial cells- fructose and proanthocyanidin. While fructose is found in most of the fruits, proanthocyanidin is there in cranberries and blueberries only. These two compounds prevent as well as cure UTI to get you rid of infectious bacteria as well as pus cells.
- Unsweetened cranberry juice- ½ glass
- Water- ¾ – ½ glass
- If you have taken ½ glass cranberries juice, mix it with a ¾ – ½ glass of water or add equal quantity of both cranberry juice and water.
- Have this 2-3 times a day. Regular intake of cranberry juice kills bacterial infections.
4. Increase Intake of Vitamin C
Vitamin C is essential for supporting defence mechanism of our body in fighting off infections. Vitamin C foods are the best for removing pus cell in urine. When you suffer from pus cells or infections in the urinary tract, having large amounts of vitamin C helps you a lot. Some bacteria cannot survive in the acidic environment. High amounts of Vitamin C inhibit the growth of these bacteria by acidifying the urine. When you have cranberry juice, you also get vitamin C in abundance but you need some more and that can be had by increasing intake of vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables like the following:
- Indian Gooseberries
- Red and green peppers
- Broccoli and cabbage
5. Wood Apple (Bael) to Eliminate Pus Cells in Urine
Native to India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, wood apple or Bael fruit has been used by Ayurveda to alleviate many diseases. It is also known by other names as stone apple, monkey fruit, elephant apple etc. It is a rich source of oxalic, malic, citric and tannic acids apart from having a host of vitamins and minerals including calcium, iron, phosphorus, carotene, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin. Its richness in vitamin C improves immunity and also protects you against microbial and viral infections. Ayurveda uses its roots, bark, leaves and the fruit to alleviate various conditions including burning sensation and pus cells in urine. For burning sensation in urine, it recommends soaking wood apple root in water overnight and mashing it in the morning to take it with palm candy. For eliminating pus cells in urine, follow the below remedy.
- Wood apple pulp- 2-4 tbsp
- Milk- 1 cup
- Sugar- 1-2 tsp
- Add wood apple pulp and sugar with milk and mix it well.
- Have this 1-2 times a day.
- This remedy also helps those who suffer from the frequent urge for urination.
6. Cucumber Juice to Expel Pus Cells In Urine
The naturally cool cucumber is composed of 96% of water and rest is a powerhouse of nutrients. It has such minerals as manganese, molybdenum, potassium, silica, sulfur, and some amounts sodium, calcium, phosphorus and chlorine along with many vitamins including vitamins A, C, folic acid and many B vitamins. Its water content makes cucumber a natural diuretic which flushes out your body of toxins including pus cells. For the same reason, it is good for kidneys and bladder and protects them against infections. Cucumbers are also alkalizing and thus it helps in neutralizing the highly acidic environment of urine to give you relief. Make cucumber juice as given below to help yourself with pus cells as well as other infections.
- Cucumber- 1
- Lemon juice- ½ tsp
- Honey (optional)- ½ – 1 tsp
- Grate the cucumber and extract its juice by pressing it on a sieve or using a cloth.
- You should have about 2 tablespoons of cucumber juice.
- Mix lemon juice and honey to this.
- Have it 3 times a day.
- You should have at least 25 ml cucumber juice thrice a day.
7. Coriander Seeds Remedy for Pus Cells in Urine
The seeds of the culinary herb, coriander, also known as cilantro or Chinese parsley is not only carminative but has some diuretic effects too. All the medicinal properties of coriander seeds are attributed to its volatile oil, mainly linalool oil that gives these seeds digestive, carminative, and anti-flatulent properties. Some laboratory tests have shown this essential oil to even fight off certain fungal and bacterial infections. Tests conducted on animals have found the diuretic properties of coriander seeds. Irrespective of these modern researches, coriander seeds that have tremendous nutritional value too due to their richness in vitamins and minerals, have been used by Ayurveda and Chinese Traditional Medicine to treat kidney and bladder problems since ancient times. This is an Ayurvedic remedy which may help you combat your urinary infection and pus cells in urine relieving you of burning sensation as well.
- Dry coriander seeds (without peel)- 250 g
- Sugar candy (powdered)- 250 g
- You won’t find coriander seeds without the peel. To remove their peels, break the coriander seeds with the help of some heavy kitchen equipment. Traditionally mortar and pestle are used for the purpose. Gently break them so that you may get the nuts of coriander seeds from inside.
- Remove the peels after breaking off the seeds. You should have 250 g of this.
- Mix it with an equal quantity of powdered sugar candy.
- Store this dry mixture in an airtight container.
- In the morning, take 5 g (about 1 – ¼ tsp) of this mixture with water on an empty stomach.
- Don’t eat anything for about 1-2 hours after having this coriander seeds mixture.
- Repeat in the evening. You need to take it twice a day, morning and evening.
- Take this for 5-7 days.
8. Amla (Indian Gooseberry) for UTI Induced Pus Cells in Urine
Amla or the Indian gooseberry is one of the richest sources of vitamin C and as such, it can help boost your immunity and protect you against any infection. It is especially useful in expelling toxins out of your body. Not only this, Amla can also help soothe the inner layers of your bladder along with reducing the frequency of urination.
- Amla juice= 2/3 cup
- Honey- 1- ½ tablespoons
- Mix honey with amla juice.
- Have this 2-3 times a day.
- This will not only eliminate pus cells but also cure other urinary troubles.
9. Onion to Clean Pus Cells in Urine
Onions have many components including alliin, sulphur, potassium salts and flavonoids that give it anti-inflammatory expectorant, antiseptic, antifungal, anticoagulant, antithelmitic, and analgesic properties and many more. Onion has also been known for its diuretic properties. It prevents water retention and cleanses your system of urea and sodium as well as other toxins. Even rubbing your loins with as little as half an onion can increase your urine output considerably. You can mix sugar with some onion and have it in the morning on an empty stomach to prevent retention of urine in the bladder. Here is the Ayurvedic way of using onion for cleansing your urinary passage more effectively.
- Onions- 2
- Water- 2 cups
- Cut the onions in slices.
- Now add onion slices to water and bring it to a boil.
- Lower the flame and let the water with onion boil till the water remains half its original quantity.
- Strain and drink this.
10. Holy Basil for Pus Cells Induced by Cystitis Urinary Infection
Holy basil is a powerful adaptogen with anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-viral, antioxidant and diuretic properties among many other medicinal qualities. It is also considered to be a good option for detoxification. Traditionally, basil is used to reduce uric acid in blood to prevent kidney stones. You can use holy basil effectively against pus cells in the urine, especially when they are due to ‘cystitis’ which is a condition where urinary bladder gets inflamed.
- Holy basil leaves- 4-5
- Wash the basil leaves properly.
- Chew these leaves on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Then take 4-5 sips of water.
- Repeat this in the evening.
- Do this daily in the morning and evening to get rid of pus cells as well as burning sensation while urinating.
11. Yogurt for Pus Cells due to UTI
Yogurt contains good bacteria that fights off bad bacteria to get you rid of infections including urinary tract infection. Especially when you are on an antibiotic course, you need to have yogurt to replenish your system with good bacteria that to get eliminated due to these medicines. Yogurt has also mild diuretic effects and thus helps in flushing out toxins. Combining yogurt with other ingredients that can expel pus cells out of the body can help you immensely. In fact, Ayurveda gives two such options.
Ways to Have Yogurt for UTI and Pus Cells in Urine
- Always have plain unsweetened yogurt. You can have those that are probiotic.
- Mix chopped onion in yogurt and have this daily.
- Grate some cucumber and add this to your yogurt. Have this daily to get rid of urinary troubles.
12. Watercress for Pus Cells in Urine
Watercress is rich in vitamins A, C and D and minerals like calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. It has mustard oil glycosides and other essential oils that make it antibacterial to fight off urinary tract infections. It is also rich in iron, potassium and iodine and thus promotes cell formation as well as also helps kidneys to clear off toxins with increased output of urine. It is one of the natural diuretics that not only flushes toxins out of your system but also cures the underlying infection. While you can always add watercress in your diet, you may also make tea or infusion from it to eliminate your pus cells.
1st Way to Use Watercress for Pus Cells- Make Tea
- Fresh watercress leaves- a handful
- Hot water- 1 cup
- Chop the watercress leaves to get 2 tsp of it.
- Place the chopped leaves in a pot.
- Pour hot water over it.
- Let it steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain and have this tea.
- Have 2 cups of watercress tea a day.
2nd Way to Use Watercress for Pus Cells- Cold Infusion
- Fresh watercress leaves- 2 tbsp
- water- 4 cups
- Place watercress leaves in a pot.
- Pour cold water over it.
- Leave to soak overnight.
- In the morning, strain the liquid.
- Take out 1 cup from it.
- Heat this a little and have it.
- Repeat in the evening.
- Have 2 cups of this cold infusion of watercress a day.
13. Garlic to Eliminate Pus Cells in Urine
Garlic has been used as a natural antibiotic since long. This culinary herb is also a diuretic and cleanses your system effectively. In fact, you can find garlic pills as diuretics. This herb also boosts your immune system and protects you against recurring infections. You can always have raw garlic cloves but it can’t do that due to its strong flavor and smell, there are other ways to have garlic to treat UTI and eliminate pus cells too.
Ways to Have Garlic to Cure Pus Cells in Urine
- Crush two garlic cloves and chew them or swallow with water every morning on an empty stomach.
- Mash two cloves of garlic. Pour 1 cup of hot water over it. Let it steep for 5-10 minutes. Strain and have 2-3 cups of this garlic tea every day.
- Use raw garlic in your salad dressings.
- Mash two cloves of garlic. Add few drops of olive oil to this. Have this while chewing the garlic cloves.
14. Radish Juice for Diuretic Effect on Urinary System
Radish is rich in folic acid, Vitamin C, anthocyanins, zinc, B-complex vitamins and phosphorus. It also contains a lot of water and detoxifies your body. This vegetable is a natural diuretic and thus an effective remedy to combat and prevent urinary tract infections and its symptoms like pus cells in urine and burning sensation while urinating. Use this excellent kidney cleanser in the form of juice. While blending the chopped radish, do not, however, discard its leaves because they contain more Vitamin C, protein and calcium than radishes.
15. Uva Ursi Herb for Pus Cell in Urine
Uva ursi or bearberry has been traditionally used as herbal medicine for its mild diuretic and astringent properties. It has been widely used for various urinary tract infections such as cystitis, urethritis and nephritis, pyelitis and in pyelonephritis. The diuretic effects of this herb can be attributed to its component glucoside Arbutin. This component is mostly absorbed by the kidneys as it is without any changes. When it is excreted by the kidneys, Arbutin leaves an antiseptic effect on the mucous membrane of the urinary system to reduce its inflammation, soothe irritation, and combat infection. This is why it is recommended for chronic cystitis as well. Uva Ursi also helps flush out bacteria and other toxins by increasing urination.
Make Uva Ursi Tea
- Dried Uva ursi leaves- 1 tsp
- Hot water- 1 cup
- Place the herb in a pot.
- Pour hot water over it.
- Let it steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain and drink the herbal tea.
- Have this 3-4 times a day.
You can also make a cold infusion with this herb. For this, soak 1 tsp of dried uva ursi in water overnight or for 12 hours. Strain and have it to relive all the symptoms of various urinary tract infections such as pus cells in urine.
Pus cells in urine, if not treated well in time may pose serious concerns for health. While home and herbal remedies for pus cells in the urine may help you relieve the related discomforts, you need to consult your doctor about the urinary infections that might have shown as pus cells in urine.