Are you scared of looking into mirror due to those swollen eye bags? Are you tired of people reminding you about your tired eyes? If yes, this is the right place for you cause you will find some fabulous home remedies for your puffy eyes and those under eye bags. I’ll tell you about some quick fixes, the tips to quickly diminish the eye bags for some time. These will help you when you are in a hurry to step out or for the unplanned parties thrown by your friends. I’ll also tell you about some permanent solutions for your puffy eyes- such remedies that will really make your eye bags vanish forever. However, these remedies do take time to show results. But then, you always have to be patient when you are up to a challenging task!
Quick Fixes to Diminish Under Eye Bags
Use these quick remedies to make your tired droopy eyes charming and full of life.
1. Splash Face with Cold Water
Sometimes, it only needs a splash of cold water on your eyes and face. Most of the times, the puffs under eyes form due to faulty fluid circulation within your face. A splash with cold water constricts the blood vessels and starts the fluid circulation thus reducing swelling in no time. You can even put some ice in the water to make it really cold. However, beware! Don’t apply this extremely cold water to the skin around your eyes more than a couple of seconds!
2. Spoon Remedy for Eye Bags
Teaspoons are not only for having food and for measuring spices while cooking (or writing a recipe) but it is also a very effective and fast remedy to make your eye bags disappear, even if temporarily. You just have to cool off the spoons, close your eyes and place the cold spoons with curved side down on your closed eyes. There are various ways, however, to make your magic spoon cold:
- Place 6-8 spoons in a refrigerator and when they get very cold, take them out. Place two spoon on your both the closed eyes. When they get warm, use the next two cold spoons and so on.
- Put a lot of ice cubes in a bowl filled with water and place 4 spoons in it. Take out two spoons when they are cold enough for the purpose. Place them on closed eyes. When they come to normal temperature, put them again in the cold water’s bowl and take out the other two spoons. Now place these two spoons on your eyes. When warm change the spoons. Keep on doing till you see your eye puffs gone.
3. Treat Eye Bags with Chilled Tea Bags
A bag for another bag. That’s the remedy for your puffy eye bags when you are in a hurry.
- Take ice cold water in a cup.
- Dip two tea bags in it and take them out.
- Squeeze the tea bags.
- Lie down and close your eyes.
- Place the two chilled tea bags on your eyes. You can use black tea, chamomile or green tea bags. The caffeine tea helps constrict blood vessels to reduce swelling around eyes while the anti-irritants in herbal teas reduce redness and inflammation.
- Let the tea bags sit on your eyes for the time they attain normal temperature.
- Dip them again in the cold water and repeat the steps.
- Do for as long as you can not exceeding half an hour.
Your eyes would get relaxed and rejuvenated and the eye bags will get diminished due to the natural anti-inflammatory properties of the tea.
4. Tighten your Eye Skin with Egg White
When the skin under your eyes swells, they loosen up to make your eye bags look much larger than what they are. The remedy lies in making this skin tight. Use egg white for this.
- Take an egg and separate its white portion in a bowl.
- Beat this egg white till it gets stiff.
- Take a brush (or use your fingers) and apply this stiff egg white around your eyes.
- Leave it for about 15-20 minutes till it dries up.
- Now wash your face with cold water.
This remedy instantly makes the area around your eyes tighter which looks way too lesser puffy.
5. Put Soothing Cucumber Slices on Eyes
Open your fridge to get rid of eye bags in only 30 minutes! Take out that chilled cucumber from the vegetable basket and cut it into roundels. Take two slices and put back the rest of them in the fridge. Now place these cucumber slices on your eyes and relax. Let them be there for the time till they get warmed. Now take two slices out of the fridge and repeat. The astringent properties of cucumber make your blood vessels constrict to diminish the eye bags.
6. Pamper Your Eyes with Potatoes
The anti-inflammatory starch of this very popular vegetable all over the world makes it a good remedy for reducing puffiness under eyes. You can use potatoes for diminishing eye bags in various ways.
- Cut a potato in round slices and place two slices on both of your eyes. Leave them for 15-20 minutes and wash with cold water.
- Peel and grate two potatoes and squeeze to get potato juice. Dip two cotton balls in this juice and keep them on eyes for 20-25 minutes. Remove and wash off with cold water.
- Peel and grate finely two potatoes. You can even grind them after cutting in pieces to get a paste-like consistency. Take two clean cloths and place the potato pulp or paste in these clothes to prepare poultice. Close your eyes and place the poultice on your eyes. Let them be there for 15 minutes after which remove them and wash off with cold water.
7. Gently Massage around Eyes with Hands
This is perhaps the easiest home remedy for reducing eye puffs. Puffiness under eyes is caused by excessive fluids that get trapped around your eyes. When you gently massage the area around your eyes, you help displace the trapped fluid and make it go away from under the eyes. Massage light the right way:
- Close your eyes and lightly press the ring finger under your eye.
- Move your finger in an arc shape from inside corner of your eye towards outside.
- Make 10-15 rounds. Be gentle enough because eyes are very sensitive organs.
- Repeat the massaging movements for the other eye too.
Make it a habit to massage your eyes this way every morning before you get out of your bed.
8. Give the Eyes Salt Water Treatment
While more salt in your diet can lead to the formation of eye bags, the salty warm water compress can reduce the same eye bags. Follow the below steps for this remedy.
- Take warm water in a bowl. Ensure the water is warm and not hot.
- Add a half teaspoon of salt in this warm water and mix well.
- Take two cotton balls and soak them in this salty warm water.
- Close your eyes and place these cotton balls over your eyes.
- Let them sit there till the time they get cool.
- Soak them again in the warm water and place on eyes.
- Repeat for at least 25-30 minutes.
- You’ll see your puffiness under eyes diminish after this treatment.
9. Use Neti Pot- the Nasal Irrigation to Reduce Puffiness Under Eyes
Sometimes when you catch a cold or are suffering from flu, allergies or sinus, fluid buildup around your eye cavity leading to puffiness there. If your eye bags are due to these causes, you may like to use the ‘Neti Pot’ remedy from Ayurvedic alternative treatment system where it is called ‘Neti Kriya.’ This process is done with a pot which looks like a small teapot.
- Take some warm water. Its temperature should be just equal to what is the temperature of milk given to infants in a bottle. Just warm.
- Mix salt in this water. The proportion should be one teaspoon for half a liter of water.
- Fill the neti pot with this water.
- Gently insert the tip of the nose cone (spout) of the pot into your right nostril.
- Tilt the head a little to the opposite side.
- In a few seconds, the water entering from right nostril will flow out of the left nostril.
- You may need to reposition your head to tilt it in the right angle (keep experimenting to find it) so that water flows out of the opposite nostril.
- During the process, keep breathing calmly through your mouth.
- Don’t even try to sniff, swallow, laugh, talk or have any movement of air through the nose while the water is flowing through your nose.
- When the pot gets empty, there will still be some water in your nostrils. So, after removing the pot from the nostril, let this water come out of nostril keeping the head bent forward.
- Push out the excess water out through exhaling through the nose.
- Repeat the process by inserting the spout inside the left nostril and letting the water out of the right nostril
- You may feel a little uncomfortable for the first time but there is no pain involved in the process.
- You might also need some practice before you perfectly do neti pot process.
- Consider learning the process from a Yoga teacher.
Net pot process clears your sinus cavity of the fluids and reduces inflammation even around the eyes reducing puffiness there. Do this process daily for best results.
10. Drink Water to Prevent Water Build-up around Eyes
When your body retains water, it results in swelling here and there including under eyes. So keep your body hydrated, drink lots of water. When your body gets deprived of water, it starts accumulating water as a defence. When you drink lots of water, it will automatically release water resulting in reduced puffiness.
11. Sleep Tight and Sleep Right
Depriving yourself of sleep will also give you eye bags. Sleep at least for 7-8 hours as per your body’s demand. Also, watch for your sleeping position. Keep your head elevated when you sleep so that the fluid doesn’t build up under eyes due to gravity pull. Do not sleep on the stomach, it’s better to sleep on your back for the same reason. Sleeping on sides can also make one of your eyes puffy in the morning.