Did you know that if you leave your diabetes untreated it can lead to various other diseases like kidney disease, blood vessel damage, infections, heart disease, nerve damage, high blood pressure, blindness an even stroke, limb amputation, and coma! But the good news is that you can manage diabetes easily once you get in the habit of it. It is only when you know that you are suffering from diabetes. A good number of people don’t even realize that they suffer from this disease! They don’t pay attention to the initial symptoms of diabetes that are generally very mild in nature and include fatigue, weakness and urge to urinate frequently. If you too have experienced these symptoms of late, you should immediately visit your doctor and get the tests done to confirm or rule out the probability of having diabetes.
Home Remedies for Diabetes
If you are lucky enough, you will not be diagnosed as a diabetic. However, if your test reports say that you are a diabetic, you will also come to know whether you have Type I diabetes or Type II diabetes. In Type 1 diabetes, your body stops producing insulin, the hormone that helps your body cells by utilizing blood sugar. On the other hand, in Type 2 Diabetes, your body cells do not respond properly to the insulin or your pancreas does not produce enough insulin. There is a wide belief that only Type 2 diabetes can be cured through home remedies for diabetes but many researches have established that many plant compounds found in some common foods can stimulate cells in the pancreas and cure even Type I diabetes. However, if you take artificial insulin, it is advised to continue its use along with any home remedies that you follow for curing your diabetes.
1. Fenugreek Remedies for Diabetes
Many researches have established that fenugreek is effective in lowering fasting blood sugar or glycated hemoglobin (HBA1C) levels in diabetic patients. Some clinical trials conducted with Type 2 diabetics showed fenugreek could reduce the rate at which sugar is absorbed during the process of digestion. It can also stimulate the cells in pancreas gland as a result of which production of insulin is increased. These wonders are said to be done by an amino acid called 4-hydroxyisoleucine which is present in fenugreek. Long before these researches were done, fenugreek has been used as one of the best home remedies for diabetes. Here is how you can have fenugreek to manage your diabetes.
Ways to use Fenugreek for Diabetes
• Take 4 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds and soak them in 250 ml (1 cup) water overnight. Crush the seeds in the morning and strain to get the water. Have this water every day in the morning for at least two months.
• Soak 2 tbsp fenugreek seeds in water overnight. In the morning chew the seeds and drink the water along with it. Do it on an empty stomach every day for few months.
• Take 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds powder and add it to a glass of milk or warm water. Have it every day.
• Take 100 g fenugreek seeds (6-7 tbsp) and 50 g turmeric powder (about 3 tbsp). You may add a little white pepper too with this mixture. Add 1 teaspoon of this powder mix to a glass of milk and have twice daily.
• You can also add fenugreek powder to your flour that you use to make bread or chapatis.
2. Amla Gooseberry Remedy for Diabetes
Amla or the Indian gooseberry is one of the richest sources of vitamin C. It helps your pancreas to produce optimum so that your blood glucose levels remain balanced. The study that established fenugreek to be beneficial in lowering fasting blood sugar also stated that Emblica Officinalis or the amla has this same effect on glycated hemoglobin (HBA1C) levels. When you consume gooseberries orally in any form, it can reduce your sugar levels by stimulating the production of insulin in just half an hour! When the seeds of amla are taken in powder form, it works slowly to reduce glucose levels in blood.
Ways to take Amla for Diabetes
• Take 2-3 gooseberries and discard their seeds. Now grind the amla to get a fine paste. Either using a fine cloth or a sieve, squeeze out the juice from this amla paste. You should get two tablespoons of amla juice. Mix this 2 tbsp of amla juice in a cup of water, mix well and have it every morning on an empty stomach.
• Take a cup of bitter gourd juice and 1 tablespoon of amla juice. Mix them well and have it daily for few months.
• When fresh amla is not available, the powder of amla fruit can be taken mixed with water. Use 1- ½ tbsp of such powder in a glass of water.
• Take ½ tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp amla powder and ½ tbsp fenugreek seeds powder. Mix them in half a glass of water. Have this daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
• Include amla in your daily diet.
• You may also have raw amla.
3. Bitter Gourd Remedies for Diabetes
Many Asian countries including India have been using a bitter gourd as one of the effective remedies for diabetes. Now many researches too have established the effectiveness of bitter melon on blood sugar levels. Bitter gourds belong to the Momordica Charantia fruits that can repair damaged beta cells, increase insulin levels as well as enhance the sensitivity of insulin. Bitter gourd fruits and the whole plant is rich in plant insulin-polypeptide-P. Polypeptide-P is a biochemical which is effective in reducing blood sugar. Bitter gourd contains many beneficial compounds including bitter glycosides, saponins, alkaloids, phenolics, oils, free acids, polypeptides, sterols, 17-amino acids and p-insulin. Apart from having hypoglycemic activity, bitter gourd is also a fine blood purifier.
Ways to have Bitter Melon or Bitter Gourd for Diabetes
• Take 4-5 bitter gourds and peel them. Also, remove the seeds. Crush the peeled and de-seeded bitter gourds to paste. Place this paste into a sieve and extract the juice. Drink this fresh bitter gourd juice on an empty stomach every morning. If you wish, add some water.
• Cook bitter gourd in ghee (clarified butter) and have this frequently. If possible, have it daily for at least three months.
• Include at least one dish made from bitter melon daily into your diet.
• Mix 1 tablespoon of amla juice with 1 cup of bitter gourd juice and have daily for few months.
• If you can’t find fresh bitter gourds, take a few pieces of dried bitter melon and boil them in a cup of water. Have this bitter gourd tea once or twice a day. This will be less bitter than the fresh juice of bitter guard.
4. Cinnamon Remedies for Diabetes
A research conducted on people with Type 2 diabetes establishes that 1-6 g of cinnamon per day can not only lower serum glucose but also triglyceride, LDL cholesterol, and total cholesterol! Diabetics are naturally prone to cardiovascular diseases and thus taking cinnamon daily makes sense as this reduces their risks of getting cardiovascular diseases. Cinnamon powder lowers blood sugar by stimulating insulin activity. It is also beneficial for people who have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes status meaning those who have high fasting sugar levels in their blood. Having cinnamon will prevent them from getting diabetes. However, the type of cinnamon matters when you use it for therapeutic purpose. Most commonly available Cassia cinnamon contains a compound called coumarin which is toxic and can cause liver damage. A rather expensive variety called Ceylon cinnamon is safer to have when considering cinnamon powder as a remedy for your diabetes. As it is, only half to one tsp of cinnamon powder too is sufficient!
Ways to Use Cinnamon Powder for Diabetes
• take one liter of water and boil it. Once it starts boiling switch to simmering and simmer it for about 20 minutes. Add three teaspoons of cinnamon powder while you simmer the water. After 20 minutes, strain the liquid. Have this water daily.
• Add 1 tsp of cinnamon powder in 1 cup of warm water. Drink this daily.
• You may also sprinkle cinnamon powder on your salads, dips or other dishes.
• Add cinnamon powder to your milk, coffee or tea.
5. Jamun Remedy for Diabetes
Rich in Vitamin C, calcium, phosphorus and iron. Jamun Syzygium cumini, jambul, jambolan, jamblang or the Black plum ( and not blackberry which is a different fruit), has been traditionally used by Unani, Ayurvedic and other Asian medicine systems for controlling diabetes. Jamun seeds are extensively used to cure diabetes. However, extracts of the bark and leaves to are beneficial for lowering blood sugar and glycouria or sugar in urine. The main ingredient with anti-diabetic function in Jamun seeds is jamboline chemical. This chemical alone can not act as an antidiabetic cure. It is only effective when with other inorganic or inactive substances in the jamun seed. Jamun seeds are rich in alkaloids that have hypoglycemic effects. Many studies have shown that jambul or jamun has such hypoglycemic effects that can reduce up to 30% of blood sugar.
Ways to use Jamun for Diabetes
• Have 1- to 1- ½ tsp of jamun powder mixed with water every morning on an empty stomach.
• Jamun is a seasonal fruit. When available, have them raw daily.
• Chew the jamun leaves.
6. Curry Leaves Remedy for Diabetes
A study published in Chemico-Biological Interactions states that due to its rich mineral reserves like those of iron, zinc and copper, curry leaves are important in maintaining normal glucose levels in the blood. These minerals activate beta cells of the pancreas that are responsible for the production of insulin hormone. Curry leaves also influence metabolism of carbohydrates favorably. They can restore liver and kidney enzymes responsible for breaking down carbohydrates back to their normal levels thus treating diabetes. As diabetic patients have decreased levels of antioxidants, their body cells may die at a faster rate. A study found out that curry leaves can reduce cell death in pancreatic cells which are responsible for insulin production. Curry leaves can reduce blood sugar levels and are especially helpful for people who get diabetes due to obesity. If diabetes runs in your family, you should consider having curry leaves as it is known to prevent hereditary diabetes too.
Ways to use Curry Leaves for Diabetes
• Chew 8-10 fresh curry leaves in the morning.
• Use curry leaves in your daily cooking. Add them to salads and dips and even in gravies, sauces and curries.
7. Aloe Vera remedy for Diabetes
While aloe vera is traditionally used as a medicine for diabetes, some modern researches too have found it beneficial for lowering blood glucose and blood lipid levels in diabetic patients and heart patients. The hypoglycemic activity of aloe vera has proved to be useful in both, insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus rats. It particularly helps in lowering fasting blood sugar levels. Combined with bay leaves and turmeric, aloe vera can be had daily as is mentioned below.
Make Aloe Vera Herbal Mixture for Diabetes
• Aloe vera gel- 1 tsp
• Bay leaves powder- 1 tsp
• Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
• Add bay leaves powder and turmeric powder to aloe vera gel
• Mix well
• Have this mixture daily before lunch and dinner.
You can also mix 1-2 tsp of aloe vera juice with a glass of buttermilk and have it daily.
8. Mango Leaves Remedies for Diabetes
While mango fruit is not meant for diabetics, mango leaves are! The Nigerian folk medicine makes extensive use of mango leaves for treating diabetes. The aqueous extract of mango leaves has hypoglycemic activity. It reduces the intestinal absorption of glucose thus helping in lowering sugar levels in the blood. These leaves can also help improve blood lipid profiles. However, mango leaves need to be consumed 60 minutes before having food to get its benefits.
Ways to use Mango leaves for Diabetes
• Soak 10-15 mango leaves in a glass of water overnight. Filter this water in the morning and have it on an empty stomach. Have your breakfast in one hour.
• Dry the leaves of a mango tree in shade. When they are completely dried, grind them to get powder. Store it in a container and have ½ tsp of this mango leaves powder daily before lunch and dinner.
9. Neem Margosa Leaves Remedy for Diabetes
Known for its antibacterial and antifungal effects, neem is also beneficial for diabetes due to its anti-hyperglycemic activity. Leaves of Neem, also known as Margosa, are bitter in taste. These leaves enhance insulin receptor sensitivity. Not only this they also improve blood circulation by dilating the blood vessels, lower blood glucose levels and gradually reduce the patient’s dependence on hypoglycemic drugs.
Ways to take Neem leaves for Diabetes
• Take enough neem leaves to get 1 tablespoon of neem leaf juice. Crush the leaves and strain to get 1 tbsp of juice. Have this every morning on an empty stomach. Always take tender shoots of neem to use for diabetes remedies.
• Chew 8-10 tender neem leaves daily in the morning
• Mix 1-2 tsp of dried neem leaves powder in a glass of water and have this in the morning daily.
10. Holy Basil Leaves Remedy for Diabetes
Holy basil is a medicinal herb having a number of beneficial health properties. Also known as tulsi, basil is antiasthemitic, antistress, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antitumor, gastric antiulcer, antioxidant, antimutagenic and immunostimulant apart from being anti-diabetic. Leaves of holy basil reduce fasting blood glucose significantly. Basil is composed of antioxidants and essential oils. Combined with its other beneficial compounds, basil leaves help beta cells of pancreas function in a proper manner. They enhance the secretion of insulin.
Ways to have Holy Basil for Diabetes
• Chew 2-4 fresh basil leaves in the morning on an empty stomach.
• Crush basil leaves to get 1 tsp of its juice. Have this early in the morning on an empty stomach.
• Take 5 basil leaves, 5 neem leaves, and 5 beal leaves (leaves of a stone apple tree). Crush them to get a paste. Have this every morning on an empty stomach.
11. Lady’s Finger Remedy for Diabetes
High on vitamins A, B6, C, K, magnesium, potassium, zinc, and soluble fiber, lady’s finger or okra makes a good remedy for diabetes. It is an excellent blood sugar stabilizer. The seeds of this vegetable contain alpha-glucosidase inhibitors that stop starches from converting into glucose. The fibers present in okra regulates the rate at which sugar is absorbed from your intestinal tract.
How to use lady’s finger for diabetes?
• Lady’s finger- 2-3
• Water- 1 glass
• Wash the lady’s fingers thoroughly.
• Cut the head and tail of the lady’s fingers. Then slit the vegetables vertically from middle to get two long pieces from 1 lady’s finger.
• Place them in the glass filled with water.
• Cover and let it soak overnight.
• In the morning, have the water on an empty stomach. If you can, eat the lady’s fingers too. Raw lady’s fingers are more beneficial than cooked ones.
• Do it daily for a couple of months.
12. Flaxseed Remedy for Diabetes
Flaxseed is a rich high of essential omega-3 fat alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), protein, fiber and plant compounds known as lignans. These lignans function as antioxidants when you consume them. Some of the studies conducted have said that flaxseed can stabilize blood sugar levels. As they are also high in fiber content, flaxseed help in digestion and proper absorption of fats as well as sugars. If you regularly take flax seed, your postprandial sugar level may drop by about 28%.
How to use Flaxseed for Diabetes?
• Add a tablespoon of flaxseed powder in a glass of water or milk and have it with your breakfast.
• Add a tsp of flaxseed powder in your breakfast cereal.
• Add flaxseed powder to your soups and gravies.
13. Papaya Leaf Remedies for Diabetes
Papaya leaves help in enhancing insulin sensitivity. It decreases the enzyme levels of ALT and AST, the biomarkers of type 2 diabetes, for improving insulin sensitivity so that cells can efficiently take up the glucose. Not only this, papaya leaves also reduce the chances of complications that may follow diabetes such as fatty liver, kidney damage and oxidative stress. There is one more benefit- it helps diabetics heal their wounds faster because of its antioxidant and antibacterial properties. Japanese, Australian and many other traditional medicines use papaya leaves for curing diabetes.
Make Papaya Leaves Tea for Diabetes
• Papaya leaves- 10
• Water- 8 cups
• Add papaya leaves to water.
• Boil the water till it is reduced to half of its quantity, about 4 cups.
• Let it cool down
• have this in small doses throughout the day.
This detoxifying tea is good for your overall health too as it cures indigestion and boosts your immunity too.
14. Diet Remedies for Diabetes
Here are some diet remedies that will help you manage your diabetes.
- Avoid refined flour. Instead, use whole grains in your diet. Use whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta and brown rice in place of polished rice.
- Use low-fat dairy products like skimmed milk, cheese, yogurt etc.
- Include garlic, onion, bitter gourd, spinach, raw banana, black plum in your diet.
- Mix 1 part of barley flour, 1 part black chickpea flour and 4 parts of whole-wheat flour. Use this mixed flour to make your pancakes and bread.
- Avoid sweets. Reduce intake of salt too.
- Avoid having high carbohydrate foods, potatoes, sweet potatoes, colocasia, yams, yogurt high in fat, oily and spicy foods.
- Avoid having sweet fruits like pineapple, grapes, mangoes, etc.
- Take ½ tsp ginger juice and ½ tsp garlic juice, mix with a little honey or jaggery and have this twice a day.
- Make a juice of carrot, pumpkin and pomegranate and have one to two glasses of this juice daily.
Along with home remedies for diabetes, you also need to be physically active. Exercise regularly even if brisk walking in morning and evening. Walk for at least 40 minutes in a day to manage your diabetes effectively.