Candida is one of the genus of yeasts which causes fungal infections through its many species including Candida albicans present in the human intestine. It is, generally in check until the good bacteria of intestinal flora are outnumbered by this yeast. When the Candida yeast becomes uncontrolled, it can enter the bloodstream. This happens when the mucosal barriers are damaged or the immune system of the person gets compromised. Once in the bloodstream, Candida albicans yeast may infect almost all organs, the condition known as Systemic Fungal Infection. It then shows symptoms that are classic to any yeast infection including fatigue, insomnia, dizziness, tinnitus, decreased immunity and indigestion. The most common condition occurring due to Candida is vulvovaginitis or the vaginal yeast infection. Some other fungal infections caused by this yeast include oral thrush, cradle cap, diaper rash, jock itch, skin and nail fungal infections like athlete’s foot or toenail fungus, digestive disorders like bloating, constipation, and diarrhea, vaginal infections, urinary tract infections, rectal itching or vaginal itching among many others. The best approach towards the treatment of candidiasis includes reduction of the toxic load within the body, ensuring proper digestive function as gut flora gets imbalanced and to restore immunity so that you can get rid of Candida yeast permanently. Following home remedies for Candida revolve around all these important angles of yeast infection treatment.
Home Remedies for Candida
1. Use Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Candida Yeast
Many researches have established that the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil are anti-microbial, antiviral and anti-fungal. Capric acid found in coconut oil, the acid which is also there in breast milk can effectively eliminate Candida yeast. Caprylic acid, as well as caproic acid and myristic acid in coconut oil, also have anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties. Its lauric acid is a fine germicide and a fungicide. Thus, it makes sense to use coconut oil for treating Candida infections.
Ways to Use Coconut Oil for Candida Yeast Infections
- Have 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil. It is completely edible and consumed by people in many parts of the world. Just remember that coconut oil is but a fat. So, don’t consume it more than 1-2 tablespoons a day otherwise you may have to look for remedies for obesity!
- You may also apply coconut oil topically. Just soak a cotton ball in the oil and rub your affected area gently like the genital area having a yeast infection or even your mouth that suffers from thrush.
2. Make Burdock Root Tea to Combat Candida
Various medical herbalists use burdock herb’s root to treat Candida infections. Burdock root has anti-fungal properties. Not only this, Burdock also purifies your bloodstream through which Candida travels and infects other parts of your body. It also helps in cleansing off toxins from your infected internal organs. All these qualities make burdock root an effective herbal remedy for Candida.
How to Make Burdock Root Tea?
- Burdock root herb- 1-2 tsp
- Boiling water- 1cup
- Place the herb in a pot.
- Pour boiling water over it.
- Let it steep for about 15 minutes.
- Strain and have it.
- You may have 2-3 cups of burdock root tea a day.
3. Use Grapefruit Seed Extract to Fight off Candida
Grapefruit seed extract contains natural antibiotic and anti-fungal properties. It not only kills the Candida yeast but also many other pathogens. A research conducted to know the efficacy of grapefruit seed extract compared to antibiotics and fungicides in 1990, stated that this natural extract is more effective than as many as thirty antibiotics and eighteen fungicides!
Ways to Use Grapefruit Seed Extract for Candida
- You can have grapefruit seed extract internally by adding its 5-10 drops to a cup of water. Have this thrice a day.
- You may also use it in such cases as vaginal yeast infections by washing the area with diluted extract of grapefruit seeds. For this, add 5-10 drops of it to about 2-3 cups of water. Mix it well and wash the affected area with this solution. Repeat thrice a day. However, you should stop using it if you feel irritability after using this on your private parts.
Precaution: Pregnant and menstruating women should avoid using grapefruit seeds extract.
4. Oregano Remedies for Candida
Oregano has microbial chemicals that can dehydrate all types of fungi and yeasts keeping your body’s good bacteria intact. The active ingredient of oregano oil called Carvacrol seems to be effective in treating various infections.
Ways to Use Oregano for Candida Infections
- Make tea with oregano leaves. Pour one cup of boiling water over 1-2 tsp of oregano leaves. Let it steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain and have this tea. You may have 1-2 cups of oregano tea a day.
- The tea prepared with the above method can also be mixed with your bath water. In such a case, however, use 2-4 cups of tea to add to your bathwater.
- Dilute 2-3 drops of oregano oil in a tablespoon of coconut or olive oil and apply to your infected body part. You may also gently rub your infected area with this oil.
5. Garlic to getting Rid of Candida
Garlic is one of the best natural antiseptics. The two components of garlic- Allicin and Ajoene- have excellent anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties. Allicin, however, has to be created by mixing another component of garlic, alliin with the enzyme alliinase, both present in garlic. They just need to be activated by crushing the garlic cloves. Garlic is believed to be effective against 24 out of 26 strains of Candida.
Ways to Use Garlic for Candida
- Have 2-4 garlic cloves daily. Take them after crushing or have minced garlic. If you can’t chew, swallow with water.
- Make a paste by grinding few garlic cloves. Apply this paste to the infected area. However, avoid applying garlic paste to the vaginal area. While many women suffering from vaginal yeast infection have got positive results by applying garlic paste, most of the women have sensitive skin at this part of their body and applying the strong garlic can do more harm than benefit. It may burn the mucous membrane of a vagina and may lead to sores.
6. Goldenseal for Candida Infections
Goldenseal had been traditionally used for skin disorders and digestive problems. Medical herbalists now use this herb also for wound healing and various infections including Candida overgrowth. Berberine, an alkaloid is an active ingredient in goldenseal which inhibits the growth of various Candida species. One of the greatest help that berberine does is that it regulates blood sugar levels too. It thus prevents sugar spikes that may lead to Candida overgrowth. Not only this, berberine also activates the white blood cells and strengthens your immune system.
How to Take Goldenseal for Candida?
Goldenseal root extract is available in liquid form. Take 1-3 drops of this extract mixed in water once a day initially and then twice or thrice a day. Its better to start taking small quantities of goldenseal initially as large doses are harmful to your liver.
Precaution: As berberine may lead to uterine contractions, pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take goldenseal. Those who suffer from kidney, liver, heart diseases, or who take blood thinners should consult their doctors before they start taking goldenseal.
7. Have Probiotic Foods like Yogurt for Candida Treatment
Healthy bacteria in your digestive organs lead not only to better digestion but also to a better immune system. Boosting your immunity, if you remember, is one of an important aspect for a permanent cure for Candida infections. Yogurt and other probiotic foods, as well as supplements, thus help you in the wholesome treatment of Candida infection. There is one more way that good bacteria help. They maintain the acidity levels of your stomach. Whenever your stomach acquires an alkaline environment, Candida overgrows and become fungal and pathogenic to give you infections. Yogurt is by far the best natural probiotic food that contains healthy bacteria – Lactobacillus Acidophilus and Bifidobacteria Bifidum. When you buy probiotic, read the label to understand whether you are getting good bacteria or not. Always buy plain yogurt with no sugar in it. Sugar leads to more Candida yeast.
Ways to Use Yogurt to Get Rid of Candida
- Include yogurt in your daily diet. Have a bowl full of yogurt (no sugar added) at least twice a day.
- You may also apply yogurt to your infection affected area. Take plain yogurt and soak a cotton ball in it. Gently rub this on the infected area to apply yogurt there.
[Also Read: Top 15 Home Remedies for Vaginal Odor]
8. Olive Leaf to Combat Candida Yeast Infections
Olive leaf has strong anti-fungal and anti-viral as well as anti-inflammatory properties. It has abundant Vitamin C in it but even more antioxidants, some 400 times more than its vitamin C content! It also boosts your immunity. Oleuropein, the active component in olive leaf extract which seems to do this work. When you take olive leaf extract, the enzymes present in your body convert oleuropein into elolenic acid. Elolenic acid improves your immunity that in turn, functions to destroy viruses, pathogenic bacteria, and fungi in the body.
How to Take Olive Leaf Extract?
While the untreated olives contain Oleuropein but it is also a fact that this component only gives olives their bitter taste. Therefore olive leaf extract is preferred when it comes to having this herb.
- Get Olive leaf extract capsules of 500 mg strength. Always buy those that come with 20% Oleuropein.
- Take two capsules three times a day with meals.
Once your Candida infection symptoms are under control, you may also use olive leaf extract to make tea and have 1-2 cups of this tea a day.
9. Lemongrass Oil to Combat Candida Yeast
Candida makes a strong, slimy substance all around itself which is called biofilm. This tough material protects them and let them grow. Biofilms make it difficult for even strongest of prescription antifungal drugs to reach the Candida yeast and treat infections. Some essential oils, however, are capable of destroying this biofilm. Lemongrass oil is one of them.
Ways to Use Lemongrass Oil for Candida
- Dilute lemongrass oil with some carrier oil like coconut oil or olive oil. Add 2 drops of lemongrass oil with 1 tsp of coconut or any other oil. Consume this 3-4 times a day. Children below 6 years of age should not be administered any essential oil.
- For applying lemongrass oil topically, add 15-30 drops of this oil to 2 tablespoons of a carrier oil like coconut oil. Apply this to the infected area.
- For vaginal yeast infection, add 20-15 drops of lemongrass oil with 2 tablespoons of carrier oil, preferably coconut oil. Apply this oil mixture to a tampon and let it there be for up to eight hours. You may also use it on a sanitary pad if there are only external signs of Candida overgrowth.
10. Clove Oil to Fight Off Candida
Clove oil is another essential oil that works like lemongrass oil. It too breaks the barrier called biofilm that protects Candida yeast against even anti-fungal medicines. There is a phytochemical called eugenol within clove which acts against parasites, bacteria, and fungi. Apart from this anti-fungal property, clove oil also boosts your immune system.
Ways to Use Clove Oil for Candida Cure
- Dilute clove oil in water. Take about 15-20 drops of clove oil in a glass of water. Have this 2-3 times a day.
- Dilute clove oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil and apply to the infected area. Use about 10-15 drops in 2 tablespoons of carrier oil.
11. Tea Tree Oil- An Effective Remedy for Candidiasis
Tea tree oil derived from the native Australian plant Melaleuca alternifolia has been accepted as an effective medicinal oil for such conditions as colds, sore throats, skin infections, and insect bites This essential oil has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. It also has antimicrobial properties that can eliminate various microorganisms and this is what can treat Candida infections. The active compound, terpinen-4-ol, in tea tree oil, may treat even the drug-resistant forms of vaginal candidiasis. This oil is so effective in treating Candida because it can inhibit Candida’s ability to replicate and may also interfere with membrane properties or functions of Candida. As if this was not enough, tea tree oil can also reduce Candida’s ability to keep itself attached to human cell surfaces. This oil can only be applied topically. If ingested, tea tree oil may prove to be toxic.
Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil for Candida
- Pour a few drops of tea tree oil on a cotton ball. Apply this to the affected area like for athlete’s foot or nail fungus.
- Take 1 part tea tree oil an mix it with 20 parts water (for example 1 tbsp tea tree oil with 20 tablespoons which equals about 1 – ¼ cups of water). Pour this on a tampon and keep it overnight to treat vaginal yeast infection.
- For Candida skin infections, you may take 1 tsp tea tree oil and mix it with half a cup of warm water. Soak a cloth or cotton ball in this warm water and apply to the affected area.
- You may also add 10-15 drops of tea tree oil to your bath water and soak in this for 15 minutes.
- For oral thrush, mix 7-8 drops of tea tree oil with a cup of water to make a mouthwash. Rinse your mouth with this water 2-3 times a day.
12. Aloe Vera to Cure Candida Naturally
Aloe vera contains various amino acids, enzymes, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that make it a very healthy remedy for not only Candida but for your overall body. Aloe vera has antifungal, antiviral anti-inflammatory and immunity stimulating properties. The enzymes in aloe vera help in breaking down fats, sugars, and starches thereby promoting healthy bacteria in the intestine where the yeast candid breeds. Aloe has mild laxative properties too that help getting rid of toxins in the colon. What’s the most important function of this herb regarding Candida is that it helps repair and seal your intestinal wall so that Candida yeast cannot penetrate through it into your bloodstream? While you can always take a fresh aloe vera leaf, peel off its skin to take out the gel and apply this gel on your affected skin area for 30 minutes, what benefits you the most is ingestion of aloe vera juice as a health tonic.
How to Have Aloe Vera Juice?
- Get aloe Vera juice from any health food store.
- If you want to make aloe juice at home, you need to be very careful while discarding its skin and a yellow layer beneath it.
- You can use a sharp knife to peel off the skin or rind of the aloe leaf and then using the same knife, remove the yellow layer beneath it.
- Now with the help of a spoon, take out the clear aloe juice. You should at least have 30 ml of this juice that roughly equals to 2 tablespoons.
- Once you get the aloe juice, place it in your blender.
- You may either add 1 cup of water or some citrus juice like orange or grapefruit. You may also add lemon to this.
- Blend the ingredients in the blender to get your delicious detoxifying aloe vera juice.
- You can even add lemon juice or some other citrus juice to the aloe vera juice that you get from the market.
- Never have more than ¼ cup of aloe vera juice in a day. In fact, initially take an even lesser amount of it, say, half of ¼ cup to avoid any stomach cramps and to get used to the juice.
Precaution: Those who suffer from heart, kidney, thyroid disease, or electrolyte abnormalities should not take Aloe Vera. Many people also complain about having hives or skin rashes but only after prolonged use of Aloe Vera.
13. Black Walnut – A Natural Anti-Fungal for Candida
The people in North America have been using various parts of the black walnut tree since ancient times. For example, its bark is used for a toothache while the inner bark is used as a laxative and juice for treating ringworm. Even the leaves are used for eliminating bedbugs and mites. For treating Candida overgrowth, black walnut husk or hull is used from which an extract is derived. Black Walnut has natural tannins that can eliminate parasites, yeast and fungus. One of the chemicals present in black walnut is called Juglone and it has antibiotic, anti-viral, antiparasitic, and anti-fungal effects too. Black walnut hull extract is usually in tincture form which is made by the infusion method. It is soaked in alcohol but when you use it, you have to take it in such a small amount that alcohol’s effect is negated.
How to Make Black walnut Hull Tincture at Home?
- Black walnuts (they are actually green in color when with hull)
- Vodka or grain alcohol (you may also use rubbing alcohol if you do not intend to consume this tincture and just want to apply it topically)
- A Jar
- Gloves (because black walnuts stain a lot)
- A sharp knife
- Fill the jar halfway with your choice of alcohol.
- Wear the gloves before you start working with black walnuts.
- Wash the walnuts properly and dry them.
- You can use the walnuts in two ways – whole or by removing the hull (and you use the hull).
- If using whole walnuts, just put them in the jar with alcohol.
- If not, then take a sharp knife and take out the skin and flesh of the nuts. You do not need to go too deep as the nut is very harder there.
- As and when you take out the pieces of walnut hull, put them immediately into the alcohol as they get oxidized very quickly.
- Fill it halfway with the green hull pieces of black walnut. The alcohol should cover all the pieces and should be double the amount of hull pieces.
- Cover the jar with the lid and place it in some warm dark place.
- Let it steep for 6 weeks.
- After 6 weeks, strain and store the extract tincture in dark bottle.
- If you want to make this tincture quickly, you just need to add some boiling water to this but the sequence of adding the ingredients will change.
- Place your whole walnuts or hull pieces in the jar.
- Fill ¼ of the jar with boiling water.
- Now pour alcohol over this. Completely cover the nuts.
- Cover the jar with the lid and place it in some dark place for 3 days.
- After three days, strain and store the black walnut hull tincture in dark glass bottle.
If you have made it with rubbing alcohol, just take some tincture and apply to your Candida affected area. However, if you have used vodka or grain alcohol, you may have it internally. Consult a herbalist to know the exact dosage for your specific Candida overgrowth problem.