Burning 500-600 calories every day and having the right kind of food will reduce your abdominal fat, you knew that but who wants to do those crunches and leg raises or go to the gym! You don’t want to exercise like a mad or have done that too and still cannot lose your belly fat. That’s why you are here, in search of some easy, simple home remedies that can reduce abdominal fat all around your waist! If so, you’ll not be disappointed after reading these natural remedies to reduce belly fat. However, knowing is not all, you must diligently follow them, howsoever boring they might get. Also, you need to move your body even if not for doing heavy gym exercises or aerobics or something strenuous like that. Walking, cycling, jogging, swimming, playing badminton or simply taking stairs in place of the elevator can keep your body moving. Indulge in something that interests you. Just don’t keep on sitting for hours. And yes, follow these super easy home remedies for losing your abdominal fat!
Remedies for Abdominal Fat
1. Say Good Morning with Lemon Juice to Reduce Belly Fat
Yes, you should start your day with lemon juice. Lemon detoxifies your body of all toxins along with fat. Mixed with warm water, it works even better by strengthening your liver and helping it in melting that fat around your waist.
- Lemon- 1
- Warm water- 1 glass
- Squeeze out the juice of a lemon
- Mix this lemon juice into the glass of warm water.
- Drink this water on an empty stomach every day in the morning.
This will boost your metabolism excellently for the whole day.
2. Spice up Lemon Juice for Losing Abdominal Fat
While in the morning, you should have plain lemon juice with warm water, you may have another glass of lemon juice later in the day after adding certain fat burning ingredients. You may have it after lunch or in the evening. There’s no harm if you drink this twice in a day!
- Lemon juice- 4 tbsp
- Black pepper powder- 1 tsp
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Lukewarm water- 1 glass
- Add lemon juice, pepper powder and honey to warm water.
- Mix well.
- Have this lemon juice once or twice every day.
3. Eat Almonds to Get Rid of Abdominal Fat
One of the superfoods that fight obesity are almonds. Almonds are high in fats- the good fats. How do almonds then reduce belly fat? It is because they are also a powerhouse of essential nutrients like magnesium, protein, Vitamin E and fiber! When you have enough good protein, you develop lean muscle mass which in turn helps you burn fat. Fibers are good not only for digestion but also to give you the feeling of fullness which stops you from overeating. The monounsaturated fats or the good fats in almonds not only help in losing weight but also in reducing Body Mass Index (BMI). This has been established by a study published in the International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders. This food has many other advantages apart from a miracle for reducing obesity. It is also good for heart diseases and diabetes as it not only reduces bad cholesterol in arteries but also stabilizes blood sugar. So, without any worry, you can have almonds daily. But remember, an excess of anything is bad. Have a handful of them, 10-20 almonds per day, not more than that! And yes, do not have the fried or sugar coated ones, have plain or at the most, roasted almonds!
Ways to have almonds to reduce belly fat
- Soak 6-8 almond in water overnight. Have them first thing in the morning. However, if you are having a lemon water first thing in the morning, wait for about 30-40 minutes before having soaked almonds.
- Add almonds in your morning breakfast. Add them to your salad, fruit mix, porridge or even to your breakfast cereal combined with milk!
- Snack on almonds when feeling hungry.
- Use them in salads, stir fries etc.
4. Include Beans in Daily Diet to Reduce Abdominal Fat
According to the Harvard School of Public Health, lean sources of protein like chicken and beans, help your body in keeping the intake of saturated fats at a healthy level. If you can’t have chicken daily, have beans. Beans help to flatten your belly not only due to its lean protein but also due to its various other healthy compounds including soluble as well as insoluble fibers. Due to their low glycemic index, beans get digested at slower pace keeping you fuller for a longer time, thus saving you from hunger pangs too. Beans are good for diabetes and heart disease too. So, what types of beans and how much of them will help you lose abdominal fat? Check it out!
What Beans to have?
All or any type of beans can help you in fighting off obesity, particularly belly fat.
- White beans
- Pink beans
- Red kidney beans
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- Garbanzo beans aka chickpeas
How many beans to have daily?
Not more than one cup of beans every day. Rinse them thoroughly before using. If you soak beans, wash them thoroughly before soaking and try not to discard the water when cooking beans. If you are using canned beans then also wash them properly to keep off the gas-producing sugars.
What are the ways to have beans?
You can have them in any manner- as a salad, dips, side dish, baked into muffins, or as the main dish!
- Replace your breakfast toasts with beans and have them with eggs.
- Make the salsa by mixing black beans with tomatoes, corn kernels, pepper, lime juice, olive oil, your choice of herbs and seasonings!
- Prepare hummus which is a Middle Eastern spread made with chickpeas as the main ingredient. Use it as a party dip or sandwich spread.
- Bake your muffins, bread, cakes etc. using beans flour
- You may also use black bean flour as a thickening agent for sauces.
- Replace mashed potatoes with mashed beans dish.
- Use a bed of herbs flavoured white beans when serving grilled chicken and fish.
- Have simple bean soups, stews.
- Innovate your own way to have beans daily!
5. Cucumber Helps Reduce Abdominal Fat
Cucumber is a great summer food but what’s interesting is that it is also an excellent fat burning food! Elizabeth Somer is a dietitian and in her book “Nutrition for Women,” she has suggested ways to lose weight and keep it off She says cucumbers have rich content of two trace minerals- sulphur and silicon. These trace minerals may be the reason why cucumbers burn fat. Cucumbers are also high in water content and thus act as diuretics preventing the belly to bloat. Bloating may give an impression of a fat abdomen. When you add cucumbers with lemon, it becomes a superfood for burning fat as lemons excellently boost metabolism and their high acidic content helps in breaking down the fat. Have this very low-calorie food called cucumber extensively during the day. Yes, cucumbers contain about 96% water and there are only about 45 calories in a whole cucumber.
Ways to have cucumber to reduce belly fat
- Add a bowl of sliced cucumbers with your breakfast
- have cucumber salad every day with lunch. Add a dash of lemon juice, pepper, salt or vinegar and some herbs plus olive oil to make it a tangy treat.
- Carry cucumber with you wherever you go- office, college or such regular places where you need to spend longer periods. Snack on these cucumbers when you feel hungry.
6. Wholegrain Cereals with Milk Breakfast to Lose Belly Fat
You should not skip breakfast. This slows down your metabolism. However, the wrong type of breakfast can actually lead to weight gain! So, the mantra is to have right breakfast every day. The high fiber whole grain breakfast cereals can maintain steady blood sugar levels so that you remain satiated for longer periods thus avoiding hunger pangs. When you mix your cereals with milk, it’s nutrients may actually speed up your fat-burning metabolism. A study published in the ‘American Journal of Clinical Nutrition,’ states that higher amounts of calcium and vitamin D can help in weight loss and as per Somer, these two nutrients can also aid in burning fat by lowering the production of fat-producing enzymes. So, now onwards, have your breakfast cereal with milk to lose your abdominal fat. This is a list of cereals that you can have but remember you must avoid the processed cereals to keep off those hidden sugar. They may actually nullify your weight-loss efforts.
What whole grain cereals to have for breakfast?
How to have breakfast cereals to lose belly fat?
Make your breakfast cereal with milk, for example, oatmeal. You can boil the cereal in milk and then add a dash of cinnamon, some almonds or walnuts, berries and honey if you need a sweetener. Don’t use sugar if you want to lose fat. You can even have multigrain and bran flakes added to warm or cool milk.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar for Losing Abdominal Fat
Apple cider vinegar, with its acetic acid, helps you get rid of belly fat. Acid generally ensures better digestion of protein which is in turn essential for growth hormones of our body. Growth hormone is one of the best mediums that can break down your fat cells. This also keeps your metabolism working even when you are resting or sleeping. By enabling the utilization of iron in your body, ACV also helps in consuming energy. Energy consumption is equal to burning fat.
- Apple cider vinegar- 1-2 tbsp
- Water- 1 glass
- Add ACV to the glass of water.
- Have this water before your meals three times a day.
Ensure that you get the unfiltered apple cider vinegar with mother. Filtered ACV will not be of much help when it comes to losing fat from around your waist.
8. Apple for Reducing Abdominal Fat
Apple has been undoubtedly accepted as a healthy fruit. It helps you in reducing fat, particularly belly fat. Apples are a rich source of fiber, flavonoids, phytosterol and beta-carotene that make you feel full so that you don’t overeat. Apples are also a rich source of pectin. Any fruit which is high in pectin has to be chewed more taking longer to finish. This gives your body the signal of being full in time. Also, when pectin gets dissolved in your stomach, it leads to the formation of a gel-like substance which traps fat and dietary cholesterol. The polyphenols present in apples are also an important component that metabolizes all types of body fat. So, it seems wise to have apples to lose belly fat.
How to eat apples to reduce abdominal fat?
- Have at least one apple during the day. You can have this with your breakfast or a mid-morning snack, an afternoon or before any of your meals.
- Always wash off your apple well before eating it to scrub out all the pesticides on its peel.
- Most of the apples these days are sprayed with wax that traps the pesticides into it. So, you need to remove the wax off it. Normal washing with water can’t remove this wax. Wash and scrub your apple with lukewarm water. You may also use apple cider vinegar (or normal vinegar) to clean off the wax, or even a mixture of warm water, lime juice and baking soda before having your apple.
9. Mint Remedy for Losing Belly Fat
This soothing herb called mint does wonder for reducing your abdominal fat by releasing extra bile from the gallbladder. Bile, as you know, helps your body in digesting fat. Here are some methods to include mint in your daily diet scheme.
Ways to have mint to lose belly fat
a) Make Chutney with Mint Leaves:
- Mint leaves- 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves- 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves- 10-12
- Chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- a pinch of it
- Lemon juice- 1-2 tsp
- Mix mint leaves, coriander leaves and curry leaves.
- With the help of grinder, grind them to make a paste. If needed, use a little water.
- Add chilli powder, lemon juice and salt to this mint chutney.
- Use this mint chutney as a spread or dip along with your meals. Have this chutney with all your meals during the day.
- Make fresh chutney every day in the morning to use throughout the day.
b) Make Peppermint Tea:
- Fresh mint leaves (or dried leaves)- 1 tbsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Honey (optional)- 1-2 tsp
- Boil the water.
- Add mint leaves to this hot water.
- Let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and add honey if you need a sweetener. Do not use sugar.
- Have this tea once or twice a day.
10. Vitamin C Boost for Belly Fat Reduction
Deficiency in vitamin C will not let you get rid of belly fat as this vitamin is essential for proper metabolism of fat. If you have more fat around your stomach, it is more likely that you are low on Vitamin C. This vitamin is needed for the production of those molecules that are used in the metabolism of fatty tissues and lack of it means that your body is not using the stored fat howsoever hard you are exercising. Moreover, this water-soluble vitamin cannot be stored in the body. Unused vitamin C is excreted out of your body via urine. So, you need to replenish your vitamin C stock every day. Most of the fruits and vegetables have vitamin C in them but there are certain fruits and veggies that have rich sources of this vitamin. Include these fruits and veggies in your diet for a daily boost of vitamin C to reduce abdominal fat.
- Gooseberry (Amla)
- Red bell peppers
- Brussels Sprouts
- Sweet potatoes
11. Eat Avocados to Reduce Abdominal Fat
Although avocados are high in monounsaturated fats, they can actually make your waist slim. Avocados help in reducing systemic inflammation which is a cause of high cholesterol. It also maintains a steady balance in blood sugar levels so that your body doesn’t store excess calories as fat. When your cholesterol and blood sugar are at optimum levels, you also do not produce excessive cortisol hormone which leads to obesity, particularly around your stomach. Rich in potassium, B vitamins, amino acids and fiber, avocados give you a fine feeling of fullness too. So, add avocados to your daily diet. Here are some ways to do so.
Ways to have avocados to lose abdominal fat
- Cut avocado in two halves and sprinkle some lemon juice over it along with your choice of seasoning. You may like to add paprika and some vinegar before you have it.
- Diced and mashed avocados can be used as dips.
- Use avocados to make healthy salads.
- Combined with lettuce, tomatoes and such other veggies, avocado can make a great sandwich.
12. Sip Green Tea to Lose Belly Fat
Green tea boosts metabolism excellently. It also produces heat inside your body apart from stimulating fat oxidation. Green tea compound called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) helps stimulate fat burning. In fact, there is an interesting finding of green tea stated in the Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry which says that green tea works at genetic level! It not only seems to trigger those genes that help you lose weight but also prevents the formation of new fat cells.
- Green tea leaves- 1 tsp
- Hot water- 1 cup
- Honey (optional)- 1 tsp
- Put the tea leaves into the cup.
- Pour the hot water into the cup.
- Let steep for 2-3 minutes, not more than that.
- Strain the tea.
- If you need sweetener, add honey
- Have the green tea.
Have green tea two to three times a day.
13. Oolong Tea to Lose Abdominal Fat
This is an ancient Chinese method of losing weight, particularly the fat around your waist. While Oolong tea comes from the same Camellia sinensis plant from which comes black and green tea, it is more effective in boosting your metabolism than even green tea is. If you want to lose your belly fat quickly, you can have Oolong tea every day as this tea increases your body’s energy expenditure. In fact, when you mix oolong tea and green tea, you can have better results. This has been established by a study conducted at the Linus Pauling Institute where men who drank tea made of a mixture of green and oolong tea reduced more weight, waist circumference and BMI than those who drank plain green tea!
- Oolong tea – 1 tsp (or ½ tsp oolong and ½ tsp of green tea)
- Hot water
- Honey (optional)- 1 tsp
- If using both the tea, mix Oolong and green tea.
- Place the tea leaves in a cup
- Pour hot water over it.
- Steep for 2-3 minutes, not more than that.
- Strain and if you need to sweeten the tea, add honey.
- Have this tea 2-3 times a day.
14. Make Ayurvedic Detox Tea to Lose Belly Fat
Ayurveda, Ancient India’s medicine, believes in a detoxifying body that helps in breaking down fat. For this detoxification of body after which liver can work better to metabolize fat, it gives a recipe for making a detox tea. You need to make this tea every morning and sip it all through the day.
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds- ½ tsp
- Fennel seeds- ½ tsp
- Water- 5 cups
- Thermos Flask- 1
- In the morning, boil the water
- Add cumin, coriander and fennel seeds to the boiling water and continue boiling for 5 more minutes. Cover the pot while the water boils.
- Now strain the tea and pour it into the thermos flask
- Sip small amounts of this detox tea throughout the day.
- You should drink it hot or at least warm. Never drink cold tea. If needed make the tea twice by reducing all ingredients to half their quantities.
- You may find the tea too strong initially. If so, take ¼ tsp of each seed instead of ½ tsp for first two weeks. After that, make it half teaspoon.
15. Triphala Herbal Remedy for Reducing Belly Fat
Here are yet another one of the best Ayurvedic remedies for abdominal fat. It uses Triphala which is a combination of three herbs- Amalaki, Haritaki and Bibhitaki. Amalaki is the common Indian gooseberry which apart from being a rich source of vitamin C is an excellent natural antioxidant. It reduces your body inflammation while increasing lean body mass. It also helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels to avoid hunger pangs. Haritaki, on the other hand, removes toxins from your body and Bibhitaki reduces accumulation of fat and fluids in your body. Triphala powder is readily available in any natural health store selling Ayurvedic products. You may also buy it online nowadays. Here is how to use Triphala powder to reduce your fat.
- Triphala powder- ½ tsp
- Psyllium husk without flavor (optional)- 1 tsp
- Ground flaxseed (optional)- 1 tsp
- Warm water- 1 cup
- At night, half to 1 hour before going to bed, add Triphala powder with warm water and drink this.
- You may add psyllium fiber to the mixture if you suffer from constipation. This will help you in easy bowel movement and remove any toxins that may cling to your intestinal linings.
- You may also use flaxseed powder for an added boost of antioxidant.
- Take Triphala powder every night to reduce your stomach fat.
16. Use Curry Powder as Abdominal Fat Remedy
When you feel full but not satiated, you tend to eat more. Your meals should have all the tastes like sweet, salty, bitter, sour, astringent and pungent. This is important because our body gets satisfied only when we give it all the tastes it wants. When satisfied, you stop eating once you feel full. Curry powder contains all these tastes. You can make curry powder at home, store it and use it while you cook your food. You may even use it as a condiment and sprinkle it on your salads and veggies. The spices that are used to make curry powder also improve digestion and help in melting fat.
- Coriander seeds- 5 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
- Bay leaf- 1 large
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Cinnamon stick- 1- ½ inch stick
- Cloves- 5
- Turmeric powder- 2 tsp
- Grind all the ingredients except turmeric powder in a coffee grinder
- Add turmeric powder to the spice mixture
- Use this curry powders in small quantities for your gravies, curries or any other dish. You can store it in a salt shaker and place it on your dining table to sprinkle it on your salads etc.
- If you want to make a larger quantity of curry powder, increase the amount of all ingredients but maintain the proportion in which they are used in the blend.
17. Aloe vera Juice for Losing Abdominal Fat
Aloe vera is a wonder herb with many health benefits. One of its benefits is that it reduces your belly fat. It is a fine natural antioxidant. Regular consumption of aloe vera juice increases your metabolism thus helping you in reducing body fat. It also detoxifies your system thus cleansing your digestive system and further reducing weight. However, because aloe vera also have mild laxative effects, you should control the quantity that you take daily. Mixing aloe vera juice with some other herbs will give you an excellent recipe for losing belly fat!
- Aloe vera juice- 30 g
- Turmeric powder- 3 g
- Cumin seeds powder- 3 g
- Tinospora cordifolia powder (giloy/guduchi)- 3g
- Terminalia chebula powder (haritiki)- 3 g
- Warm water- ½ glass
- Honey (optional)- 1 tsp
- Mix aloe vera juice and all the other herbs powders in half glass of lukewarm water.
- If you want it to be sweet, mix a little honey to it.
- Mix well and drink it in the morning on an empty stomach.
- After having this herbal aloe vera juice, do not eat anything for about an hour.
18. Curry Leaves to Melt Abdominal Fat
Curry leaves are superb fat-burning food. They are anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and are very good at regulating blood sugar. They excellently improve the functioning of the stomach and small intestine. However, the most important fact about them is that they help estrogen which is the fat-producing hormone. You can add fresh curry leaves to your gravies, sauces, curries or any other dish. You may even chew them as they are or make tea with curry leaves. These leaves are slightly laxative so watch the quantity you take.
- Fresh curry leaves- 8-10
- Buttermilk- 1 glass
- Extract juice of 8-10 fresh curry leaves.
- Add this juice to a glass of buttermilk.
- Have this buttermilk after your lunch or dinner.
Fresh curry leaves are also good for reducing bad cholesterol (LDL) and increasing good cholesterol (HDL).
19. Fenugreek to Reduce Abdominal Fat
The bitter tasting fenugreek seeds are perfect fat burners. They dissolve fat right within the liver. Fenugreek leaves is high on fibers. Fenugreek also controls blood pressure and regulates your blood sugar levels. All these conditions lead to a feeling of fullness for a longer time. They are low in carbohydrates and calories. So have fenugreek in any way you can.
Ways to have fenugreek to reduce abdominal fat
- Soak 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Take these seeds lukewarm water in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Take some fenugreek seeds and dry roast them till they get brown. Grind them into powder and store in an airtight container. Use this powder to sprinkle over yogurt, salads, soups etc.
- Make fenugreek tea by pouring hot water over ½ -1 tsp fenugreek seeds. Steep for a couple of minutes, strain and have it after one of your major meals- breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Include a few fresh fenugreek leaves when making soups, curries or gravies. You can even use dried leaves as a spice. Dry these leaves and store in a container. Use a tsp or so after crushing these dried leaves.
20. Cinnamon for Losing Abdominal Fat
Cinnamon is a great spice that balances your insulin which leads to weight loss. The thermogenic properties of cinnamon boost your metabolism and thus can make you burn fat without excessive exercise. Cinnamon can also reduce cholesterol levels and prevent diabetes, the diseases that you can get due to your obesity. However, you need to have your daily dose of cinnamon to boost your metabolism.
Ways to have cinnamon for belly fat loss
- Add 1 tsp. of cinnamon powder to your coffee, tea or any other drink which you have during the day.
- Add cinnamon powder to your breakfast. Mix it with your cereal, sprinkle on toast or salad.
- Add 1 tsp of cinnamon powder to a glass of warm milk and have this before going to sleep.
- Use cinnamon powder in your gravies, curries, sauces.
Don’t forget to move your body daily. Whether it is walking, dancing, playing or swimming, move you must. Use these home remedies to flatten your abdomen and see what wonders they can do when it comes to losing belly fat!