Rosy lips…Dimpled chin…Is that you? Remember the nursery rhyme? Can you still say, Yes! Yes! Yes! Or for rosy lips, you need to say No! No! No! And then blame it to your dark lips. Rosy lips may not be the ultimate beauty standard individually but socially it seems to be so. Why else then we have a nursery rhyme teaching kids the socially approved standards of beauty! If you don’t care about this social norm of having rosy lips and are happy with whatever you have even if it’s darkened lips, this article is not for you. You are already blissful. However, if this matters to you (and there’s nothing wrong in this too!) and you want to lighten your dark lips, here are some natural home remedies for dark lips.
13 Remedies to Lighten Dark Lips Naturally
1. Use Lemon to Lighten Dark Lips
Lemon is a natural skin lightening agent due to its bleaching properties. It is also rich in antioxidants and certain beneficial acids like citric acid and alpha-hydroxy acids. The later is also used in commercial skin care products. The juice from a fresh lemon contains enough acidic contents that can peel off the top layer of your skin safely. When you get a new skin, it will definitely be lighter, softer, smooth and pink! Not only this, lemon juice has mild exfoliating effects too. All these qualities of lemon make it our first choice for naturally lightening the dark lips.
How to Use Lemon for Dark Lips?
There are many ways for doing so.
- Simply squeeze out the juice of a lemon and apply this on your lips every night before going to sleep. Don’t lose patience and continue the regime for a month or so, even longer for stubborn darker lips.
- Get a thin slice of a lemon and some sugar. Sprinkle the sugar on the lemon slice and rub your lips with this. This will exfoliate as well as bleach your lips. Do this every day for few weeks to get results.
- Mix half tsp each of lemon juice, glycerin and honey and apply this to your dark lips daily at night.
- Mix lemon juice with almond oil and rub on your lips. While lemon will bleach and exfoliate, almond oil will moisturize your lips from within.
- Mix 4 tbsp of lemon juice with 2 tbsp of honey. Massage your lips with this mixture daily for at least five minutes.
2. Almond and Almond Oil for Dark Lips
Almond is a powerhouse of nutrients. It is an excellent source of Vitamin E, B Vitamins, antioxidants and many other minerals. Almond oil too has many properties that go to make your skin light including lips. It has fatty acids, vitamins E, B2, B6, PP, minerals and phytosterols. All these components give almond oil the capability to even out skin complexion, prevent wrinkles and remove not only dark spots but also blemishes, rashes, scars and freckles. Vitamin E in almond oil also helps in protecting against ultraviolet damage. All this makes almond and almond oil an excellent natural remedy for dark lips. Also if you cannot apply lemon juice on your lips due to its acidic nature which may irritate or itch your skin, almond becomes your first choice for lightening your dark lips.
How to Use Almond for Dark Lips?
You may use ground almond (almond powder) or almond oil or both to lighten your dark lips. Here are some ways to do so.
- Mix powdered almond and milk to make a paste. Apply this to your lips daily.
- Instead of milk, you can use milk cream for extra moisturization. Whip almond powder and fresh cream together. Apply this on your darkened lips daily to get rosy pink lips.
- Take 1 tbsp honey and mix 5-6 drops of almond with it. Apply this to your dark lips.
- Mix equal amounts of Castor oil and almond oil and massage your lips with this.
- Mix almond oil with coconut oil and apply this to your lips daily at night before going to bed.
- If nothing else, just apply simple almond oil to your lips and leave overnight.
3. Rose Herbal Remedies for Dark Lips
Rose is the epitome of beauty! And rose as well as ingredients derived from roses like rose water and rose oil can give you beautiful lips with a natural pink glow. It is for its excellent properties that rose has come to be used in innumerable beauty cosmetics and herbal medicines. Rosewater is an anti-inflammatory and can also soothe irritated skin. It also reduces the damage from sun exposure. It is also claimed that roses are high on antioxidants and thus can strengthen skin cells while regenerating skin tissue. Rose essential oil has extraordinary emollient properties and it can moisturize dry skin excellently. Dry lips, remind you, over time convert into dark black lips. Rose oil also help regenerate skin. It is astringent and anti-inflammatory and helps tone your skin excellently. All these properties of rose make it a good choice to try this for your dark lips.
How to Use Rose for Dark Lips?
You may use rose petals, rosewater or rose oil for lightening your dark lips. Here is how you may do so.
- Take 1-2 tbsp of rose petals. Blend it with 1 tsp or more butter. Apply this to your lips, daily.
- Crush some rose petals to get its paste, use water if needed. Take 1 tbsp of this rose petals to paste and mix it with 1 tsp each of butter, milk cream and honey. Apply on your dark lips and rub gently to scrub. Repeat this twice a week to exfoliate your lips.
- Take ½ to 1 tsp of honey and mix a couple of rosewater drops with it. Apply this mixture to your dark lips 3-4 times a day.
- Soak rose petals in milk for 1 hour. Now grind to make a paste. Add ½ tsp of honey and a pinch of saffron to this. Apply this paste on your lips and leave for 15-20 minutes. Then wash off. Repeat this twice a day.
- Crush rose petals and mix glycerin and Castor oil with it. Massage your dark lips with this mixture daily.
- Mix rosewater with mint juice and apply this to your lips daily.
To use rose oil on your lips, you need to make a lip balm which is also our next natural remedy for dark lips.
4. Homemade Rose Lip Balm for Dark Lips
Chemical-laden lip balms too are one of the causes for your dark lips. So, why not go natural and make your own lip balm at home! This recipe for making lip balm uses all natural skin-friendly ingredients. These ingredients not only keep your lips moisturized but also get you rid of its darkness when you use it regularly.
How to Make Rose Lip Balm at Home?
- Beeswax- 1.25 ounce (2 – ½ tbsp)
- Coconut oil- 4 tbsp
- Almond oil- 2 tbsp
- Rose essential oil- 12-15 drops
- Rosewater- 1 tbsp
- A dropper
- Chapstick molds or tubes/ small jar to store
- Cut the beeswax in slices. You can even scrape it or grate it.
- Heat the beeswax in a double boiler until it melts. Use some tin or any other bowl that you do not wish to use later as beeswax will ruin the bowl.
- Once the beeswax gets melt, add all the other ingredients to it- coconut and almond oils rose oil and rosewater.
- Using the dropper, pour the liquid balm into your chapstick mold or some jar.
- Once the thing is set, it will actually look like some commercial creamy lip balm.
- Apply this homemade lip balm to not only lighten your dark lips but also to keep them moisturized.
5. Strawberries for Dark Lips
If you smoke a lot, you may be having smoker’s lips which are not only dark but also has wrinkles in upper lips. For you, strawberries (and also other berries like raspberries) make a good home remedy. Loaded with minerals and antioxidants, strawberries can be called a superfood. One of its anti-oxidant, ellagic acids, prevents collagen destruction and thus prevents wrinkle formation. It also protects from damage done by UV sun rays, yet another cause of dark skin. Strawberry juice has skin lightening effects too as ellagic acid again reduces dark spots on the skin
How to Use Strawberries for Dark Lips?
- Take 5-6 strawberries and crush them. Add 2 tsp of baking soda to this crushed strawberries pulp and mix well. Apply this on your lips at night and leave overnight. Repeat daily.
- With the help of cotton ball, apply the strawberry juice on your dark lips. Leave for 5-10 minutes before washing off.
6. Sugar Scrub for Dark Lips
Sugar has been widely accepted as an excellent scrub which can even gently exfoliate lips. This is essential to drop off all those dead skin which may contribute to making your lips darker. Adding butter or some oil will moisturize your skin at the same time. Here’s how you can use a sugar scrub to get rid of dark lips.
How to Make Sugar Scrub for Dark Lips?
- Sugar- 3 tsp
- Butter/ Olive oil- 2 tsp
- Mix sugar and butter or olive oil.
- Take some in your hand and with the help of your finger, gently scrub your lips with this. Don’t worry if some of this goes into your mouth. After all, it’ll be a delicious treat too!
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week initially and once your lips gain their original color, do it once a week.
7. Fuller’s Earth for Dark Lips
Fuller’s earth is one of the beauty secrets of ancient women from many countries. It not only whitens your skin but also gives it an unparalleled glow. Some of the credit goes to the absorbent quality of this clay type ingredient called fuller’s earth. This absorbent quality cleanses the skin and open pores. When the fuller’s earth is washed away, it also takes away dirt and toxic elements with it. For this reason, fuller’s earth also becomes a good home remedy for dark lips.
How to Use Fuller’s Earth for Dark Lips?
- Take fuller’s earth which looks like dry powder. Add some honey to it to make a paste. Apply this to your dark lips. Leave for about 5-10 minutes and then wash off. Repeat 2 times a week.
- Use rosewater with fuller’s earth to make a pack for your dark lips. Apply this to your lips and allow it to dry off. Then wash it off.
8. Coriander-Cumin Remedy for Dark Lips
This is an Ayurvedic Remedy. Coriander seeds are an excellent source of antioxidants, fatty acids, essential volatile oils, minerals and vitamins. Cumin seeds too have a similar profile with antioxidants, minerals and flavonoids. Sometimes, deficiency of certain minerals or vitamins too can cause dark and dry, sometimes swollen lips. If you see black stains and swelling on your cracked lips and feel burning sensation, you should try this remedy.
- Coriander seeds- 100 g
- Cumin seeds- 100 g
- Candy sugar- 100 g
- Airtight container
- Dry roast coriander seeds and cumin seeds separately.
- Grind them to get their powder.
- Grind the candy sugar if it is in the form of crystals. You need to have its powder.
- Now mix all the three powders.
- Store it in an airtight container.
- Mix 1 tsp of this powder with I cup of water and have twice daily.
9. Turmeric-Nutmeg Remedy for Dark Lips
This is yet another Ayurvedic remedy for dark lips that are swollen and cracked. If you have sores on lips, this remedy using turmeric and nutmeg will cure that too. Nutmeg is an exclusive spice that is used for its many antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. Turmeric is a known anti-inflammatory spice herb. This remedy also uses cow’s ghee or the clarified butter obtained from cow’s milk. This ghee is highly regarded in India for its nutritional and medicinal benefits. It is said that cow’s ghee contains the essence of all plant herbs and is a great natural healing agent.
- Nutmeg- 50 g
- Dried turmeric root- 50 g
- Cow’s ghee- enough to make a paste
- Milk- 1 liter
- Pot to heat the milk
- A clean cloth big enough to tie around the pot’s mouth
- You need to make nutmeg powder in a different manner and not just by grinding it.
- For this, place the milk in a pot and tie its mouth with the cloth.
- Make pieces of nutmeg and place them on the cloth tied over the pot.
- Now bring the milk to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. The vapour coming out of the milk will be absorbed by the nutmeg pieces.
- Now let the pieces of nutmeg dry off.
- Once they get dried, make powder from these nutmeg pieces.
- Grind the turmeric roots to get its powder.
- Mix both, nutmeg powder and turmeric powder, and store in a bottle.
- Now take ½ a tsp of this powder and mix it with sufficient cow’s ghee to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste to your lips. It is especially beneficial for black stains on cracked and inflamed lips. With regular use, your lips will become pink and will glow naturally.
If you want to spare yourself from making the paste every time by adding ghee to it, make a lip balm using the same ingredients. A recipe is given in the next remedy.
10. Homemade Ayurvedic Lip Balm for Dark Lips
This remedy for dark lips also uses nutmeg and turmeric with cow’s ghee but with a base of beeswax so that you can store it and use it every night.
- Nutmeg powder- 10 g
- Turmeric- 10 g
- Cow’s ghee- 10 g
- Beeswax- 20 g
- Airtight storage container
- Heat the beeswax using double boiler till it melts.
- Add ghee to this and keep on heating them for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and add nutmeg and turmeric powder.
- Mix well and store in an airtight container.
- Apply this balm to your lips every night before going to bed.
11. Mustard Oil for Dark Lips
Mustard oil is a rich source of omegAlpha3 and omegAlpha6 fatty acids, vitamin E and antioxidants. It is, thus, one of the best oils that can be called beneficial for human health and skin too. However, it is a very strong oil and thus before using it on your skin, conduct a patch test to see if you are allergic to it or not. If not, you are lucky enough because you’ll find this remedy to be the simplest of all remedies for dark lips.
How to Use Mustard Oil for Dark Cracked Lips?
- Before you go to bed, take 1-2 drops of mustard oil and rub it into your belly button. That’s it. This is an age-old way of using this oil for cracked chapped and dark lips. Now don’t ask how is it going to help lips. You got all your nutrition from this belly button only since your conception in mother’s womb!
- You can even mix mustard oil with coconut oil and rub on your lips for a couple of minutes. Then wipe it off with a wet cotton ball. This will lead to better blood circulation as well as be lightening your lip skin.
12. Pomegranate for Dark Lips
Pomegranate, the delicious fruit, is high on flavonoids, polyphenols, and antioxidants. Did you know, a glass of pomegranate juice contains much more antioxidants than red wine, green tea, blueberries, and cranberries! Such a rich nutrient-laden fruit can be helpful in eliminating dark lips too. The small molecular structure of this fruit is capable of penetrating deep into the skin and keep skin hydrated. Dryness is one of the causes of dark skin if you can recall. The punicic acid, an omega 3 fatty acid in pomegranate seals the moisture into the skin.
How to Use Pomegranate to Lighten dark Lips?
- Take 1 tbsp of pomegranate seeds and crush them. Add some rosewater and milk cream to this to make a paste. Apply this on your lips. Wait for a couple of minutes and then gently rub the lips with it. This will have a scrubbing effect taking off all the dead skin with it. Now wash off with water. Repeat this daily.
- Take equal amounts of pomegranate juice, beetroot juice and carrot juice. Mix them. With the help of a cotton ball, apply this mixed juice daily on your darkened lips.
13. Beet Juice for Lightening Dark Lips
Beet, the red vegetable, is high on antioxidants. It is also a rich source of folate which stimulates the production and repair of body cells, a property that can be used to get a new pink skin for your dark lips. Beet prevents macular degeneration with its vitamin A and carotenoids and also improves blood circulation.
How to Use Beet Juice for Dark Lips?
- Take some fresh beetroot juice and apply on your dark lips before going to bed every night. Wash it off next morning.
- Take 1 tbsp each of beet juice and carrot juice. Mix them and apply on your lips. Leave for about 10-15 minutes and then wash off with water.
- Mix beet juice with pineapple juice and some coconut oil. Rub your lips with this mixture. The bromelain present in pineapple will take off dead skin when you rub your lips with this mixture on it. Coconut oil will keep your lips hydrated.
Apply one or more of these home remedies for dark lips to find out which remedy suits you the most! The day is not far away when you’ll be proud of your rosy pink lips!
Ammu Anilashree says
Superb…these tips make magic on dark lips
Dbone Loccoh says
Emily Kristina says
Thanks for sharing these great tips with us. Home remedies are best solution for all problems and results are also last longer.
Ishan Madushanka Liyanage says
Is that true ?what is best for darkened lips?
Linette El Bey says
Rapid Home Remedies says
Good to know 🙂