Your liver is the largest organ inside your body and is quite overburdened with a lots of work it has to do! It has to produce bile which digests your food and give you all the essential nutrients. Your liver also regulates the levels of protein, fats and sugar in your bloodstream. It has to metabolize various drugs as well as alcohol that you so like. Not only this, liver continuously work to remove all the wastes and toxins from your body that you accumulate all through the day. That’s quite a work! When liver performs so many functions, it is but natural that it is left to equal number of risks to handle. Thus, there is not one or two but a whole lot of liver diseases that you have to keep at bay! Liver Cirrhosis; Hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E; Jaundice; Fatty Liver are only few of the common liver diseases. There are many others. Some of these can be managed with natural home remedies and some of them need advanced medical attention including surgery too. Here we will talk about only those liver diseases that can be to an extent cured or prevented through home remedies.
10 Natural Remedies for 3 Liver Diseases
Three Stages of Liver Diseases
Let’s first talk about the three stages of liver diseases so that you may contain the issue right at the beginning by curing liver disease at the first stage itself. The three stages of liver diseases are:
- Fatty Liver
- Hepatitis (Liver Inflammation) which may lead to Jaundice
- Liver Cirrhosis (Liver Fibrosis)
1st Liver Disease: Natural Home Remedies for Fatty Liver
Fatty liver (steatosis hepatitis) is the initial stage of any liver disease when one should get alerted and start taking care of liver. It is mainly a diet and lifestyle-related disease. If left untreated, fatty liver may lead to more serious liver diseases like cirrhosis and even liver cancer. Fatty liver is a condition when your liver gets enlarged due to an accumulation of fat cells. Fatty liver can be non-alcoholic or alcohol induced. When a liver is overloaded with such toxins as alcohol and/or fat, it has to work harder and thus it burns at a faster rate but is unable to convert the fat into energy. So, if you feel a sudden loss of appetite, pain in the upper right abdominal area, lethargy, heartburn, acidity and your body slows down due to fatigue, you should consider checking yourself for a fatty liver disease. If you are obese or diabetic, the risk is much more than you could imagine. To eliminate fatty liver as the reason for your condition, get it diagnosed through medical tests. And if it turns out to be a fatty liver, you must change your diet and lifestyle to get rid of it. There are, of course, certain herbal remedies for the fatty liver too but most of the times, changes in diet and lifestyle is only what is needed to cure the liver condition.
1. Diet Remedies for Fatty Liver
These are some diet rules to follow if you have a fatty liver.
- Avoid bad carbohydrates- like refined flour and sugar, white bread, pastries, sodas, and other processed or refined foods. They get converted into triglycerides- the type of fat which gets accumulated into the liver.
- Have healthy carbohydrates- like unprocessed or least processed whole grains, vegetables, fruits and beans.
- Avoid bad fat- these are saturated fats and trans fats. Thus avoid high-fat meat like beef, lamb, pork, chicken with skin, whole fat dairy products, butter, cheese, ice cream, lard etc. Cut back on trans-fats by avoiding commercially baked pastries, cookies, muffins, cakes, dough nuts, packaged snacks like crackers and chips, stick margarine, vegetable shortening, fried foods, candy bars etc.
- Have good fats- these are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Choose a cold-pressed oil for cooking and those that have omega 3 fatty acids. Some of the good oils include olive oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, peanut oil, sesame oil. Have more of avocados, olives, nuts including almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts, pecans, peanut butter. These are all monounsaturated fats. For polyunsaturated fats, you may have soybean oil, corn oil, safflower oil, walnuts, sunflower, sesame, and pumpkin seeds, flaxseed, fatty fish like salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, trout, sardines, soymilk, tofu etc. While good fats are good, anything in excessive amounts converts itself into bad! Remember that.
- Check to season- Use lesser salt and sugar. You may like to start using healthier seasoning like lemon juice or vinegar to cut on salt consumption. Use organic honey as a substitute for refined sugar.
- Use healthy spices- while cooking your dishes, consider using such spices as turmeric and cumin. They can excellently heal fatty liver conditions.
2. Lifestyle Remedies for Fatty Liver
Along with changes in diet, you should bring some changes in the style of your living.
• Limit alcohol intake- alcohol is one of the major causes of fatty liver. When you have this condition, totally stop having alcohol. Once you get rid of your fatty liver, you should maintain the safe limit of its consumption if you cannot totally leave having it. Twenty grams per day is what is called the actual safe limit for alcohol. More than that and you can damage your liver.
• Lose weight- Being overweight or obese can be life risking. Reduce weight by following a healthy diet and exercising regularly.
• Exercise regularly- nothing can beat this. Not only for fatty liver, exercising is good for your overall health. Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day. If you ask about special exercises for liver, jogging and aerobics are particularly good for your liver.
2nd Liver Disease: Natural Home Remedies for Hepatitis
When your liver gets inflamed, you suffer from hepatitis. While the causes of the different types of hepatitis (A, B, C and so on) differ from each other but they all lead to inflammation of liver cells. Viral hepatitis is caused by virus attacks. The most common types of viral hepatitis are hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C from among which hepatitis A is the least threatening one. When you feel the symptoms of hepatitis such as loss of appetite, heaviness on the right side of your abdomen, tiredness, itching, pale and grayish stool and even jaundice, you should immediately apply some home remedies. Consulting your physician in a day or two when you are not able to control the disease is a wise thing to do so as to save your liver as well as yourself
3. Carom Cumin Seed Remedy for Hepatitis
• Carom seeds- 1 tsp
• Cumin seeds- 1tsp
• Rock salt- a pinch of it
• Dry roast carom seeds and cumin seeds
• Ground the two roasted seeds to get their powder.
• Mix them well and add a pinch of rock salt to this. Mix well again.
• Have this spice mix twice a day. You can have them in powdered form swallow them with water.
4. Licorice Honey Remedy for Hepatitis
• Licorice powder- 1 tbsp
• Honey- 2 tsp
• Add the licorice powder with honey.
• Mix well and have it.
• Have this daily till you get rid of hepatitis.
5. Garlic Remedy for Hepatitis
Garlic is a superfood that not only purifies your blood but also eliminates toxic wastes from your body.
• Take 1-2 garlic cloves, peel them and chew them on an empty stomach in the morning daily.
• Include crushed garlic in your dishes daily.
3rd Liver Disease: Natural Home Remedies for Liver Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis disease of liver works slowly. It gradually replaces the healthy liver tissues with scar tissues. This results in liver not functioning in a proper way because the blood flow from and to the liver gets obstructed. With time, the liver reduces in size. The first symptoms of cirrhosis include indigestion, nausea and vomiting. Gradually you start having abdominal pain and lose weight. You may also have bad breath, yellow skin due to jaundice and fever. If the disease is not contained, it worsens further and you get thin red spider-like marks on face, neck, arms and other body parts. Your abdomen may also get bloated with red marks on it.
6. Papaya Seeds- Lemon Juice Remedy for Cirrhosis
• Crushed papaya seeds- 1 tbsp
• Lemon juice- 2 tbsp
• Place the crushed papaya seeds into a sieve and extract its juice.
• Add lemon juice with the juice of crushed papaya seeds.
• Mix well and drink it.
• Have this twice a day for one month.
7. Buttermilk Remedy for Cirrhosis
• Buttermilk- 1 glass
• Cumin seeds powder- 1 tsp
• Add cumin seeds powder with buttermilk
• Mix well and drink it.
• Have this spiced buttermilk daily.
8. Lemon-Salt Remedy for Cirrhosis
• Plain water- 1 glass
• Lemon- half lemon
• Salt- 1 tsp
• Add the juice of half lemon in water.
• Add the salt to this.
• Mix well.
• Have this salty lemon juice thrice a day.
9. Carrot-Spinach Remedy for Cirrhosis
• 1 carrot
• Few leaves of spinach
• Wash the carrot well and chop it.
• Soak the spinach in water for few minutes. Take out the leaves and discard water. Repeat for one more time. This ensures you discard all the soil and dust in the leaves.
• Now grind both carrot and spinach leaves and take out their juice.
• Drink this carrot spinach juice daily.
10. Milk Thistle Remedy for Cirrhosis
Milk thistle herb is not only good for cirrhosis but for the overall health of the liver. It can not only cure but even restore the lost vigor of your liver. Make milk thistle tea as a liver tonic.
• Milk thistle seeds- 2 tsp
• hot water- 1 cup
• Mortar and pestle
• Crush the milk thistle seeds with the help of mortar and pestle.
• Place the crushed seeds in a cup.
• Pour hot water over it.
• Let steep for 30 minutes.
• Drink this milk thistle tea daily.
• One cup a day is good for the liver.
However, don’t forget that healthy diet along with regular exercise is a key to a healthy liver devoid of any disease! Remember all the 10 remedies given here ultimately work to make your liver healthy and disease free no matter at what stage your liver diseases are! Then also, it is recommended to take expert medical help along with these home remedies if a liver disease is diagnosed. After all, we cannot be casual with as important a body organ as liver!