Spider veins are twisted red, purple, and blue vessels seen typically on legs and face. This vein abnormality is similar to varicose veins. The only difference is that varicose veins are larger, raised and swollen blood vessels with twists and turns where as spider veins are smaller. Both of these are caused by structural abnormalities of blood vessels. Spider veins are also called telangiectasias. They can be understood as clusters of tiny blood vessels close to the surface of the skin of an adult person. They often look like spiderweb and thus the name spider veins. Spider veins rarely cause serious complications. Only some people may develop skin ulcers due to spider veins. However, spider veins become a beauty concern due to the not-so-pleasant appearance. There are many treatments that your doctor can give you to cure spider veins such as sclerotherapy, laser therapy, endovenous laser, radiofrequency ablation and vein surgery. If the condition of your veins is not so bad as to develop complications, you can easily get rid of spider veins with the help of some natural home and herbal remedies.
17 Rapid Remedies to Get Rid of Spider Veins
1. Apple Cider Vinegar for Spider Veins
This is perhaps the most easy remedy for spider veins and quite effective one too. ACV helps diminish the appearance of spider veins by increasing blood circulation to the affected area.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Clean cloth
- Soak the cloth with apple cider vinegar.
- Using this as a compress, apply to the area of your body where you have spider veins.
- Let it be there for about 15-20 minutes.
- Do this 2-3 times a day for at least a month.
- Continue doing even after a month if you can still see some spider veins and do this till all of them disappear.
2. Ginkgo Biloba for Spider Veins
The herb ginkgo biloba is useful in strengthening the tissues that form vein walls. Sometimes sitting or standing for a long time can stretch vein walls. If this is a regular habit in your daily life, this may weaken the walls of the veins and may also damage the vein valves, causing chronic venous insufficiency. Although spider veins are not categorized as chronic venous insufficiency, ginkgo biloba may help widen and relax blood vessels to regulate the flow of blood. It also enhances tissue oxygenation apart from improving blood circulation. This makes ginkgo biloba a good remedy for spider veins. You may take ginkgo biloba extract made from the leaves of the herb.
How to Take Ginkgo Biloba for Spider Veins
Get ginkgo biloba extract, preferably 50:1 standardized ginkgo extract as it gives you the most of its medicinal value. Take 120-240 mg of this extract per day, divided into two or three doses. To start with, take 40 mg of ginkgo extract thrice a day. Consult a natural herbalist for better understanding of doses as per your individual requirement.
3. Witch Hazel for Spider Veins
The much talked about and the very commonly used witch hazel can also be beneficial in curing spider veins. It is the astringent properties of distilled witch hazel that helps you cure your spider veins. Many studies conducted on animals have also shown that witch hazel even helps strengthen blood vessels.
How to Use Witch Hazel for Spider Veins
- Witch hazel
- Cotton ball
- Dip the cotton ball in witch hazel solution.
- Apply this to the area affected with spider veins.
- Do this several times a day until you get rid of spider veins.
4. Horse Chestnut Seed for Spider Veins
Horse chestnut seeds are rich sources of saponins and tannins and have excellent anti-inflammatory and circulatory effects. Many experts believe that horse-chestnut seed is the best herbal remedy for swelling, pain, itching, and fatigue associated with tensed spider veins as well as for varicose veins. This may be due to the reason that horse chestnut strengthens those veins that have lost their elasticity. Many clinical studies have found that horse chestnut improves blood circulation in the legs and also decreases inflammation along with strengthening capillaries and veins.
Ways to Use Horse Chestnut for Spider Veins
- Take 10 tbsp of distilled witch hazel and add 1 tbsp of horse chestnut tincture to this. Mix and apply this to the areas having spider veins. Buy the extract of horse chestnut that also provides you with a daily dosage of 50 milligrams of aescin. Aescin is one of the main components that strengthens capillary cells and contains fluid leakage.
- Take 250 mg of standardized horse chestnut extract daily till the time your spider veins disappear.
- You may also apply topical creams having horse chestnut. Apply this to your spider veins regularly until they disappear. In fact, you may use the horse chestnut extract and cream together for faster results.
Precaution: Do not take excessive oral dosage of horse chestnut extract as it may prove to be toxic. The best way is to consult a herbalist to find out the exact dosage for your condition.
5. Ginger for Spider Veins
The very common herb ginger used frequently in your kitchen may help you get rid of spider veins. There is this blood protein called fibrin that may build up in areas where your veins get injured. This makes your veins more visible and prominent. Ginger naturally breaks up fibrin to help diminish the spider veins. Ginger also improves blood circulation by lowering the blood pressure. Low blood pressure exerts minimum pressure on your veins. Ginger may also have blood-thinning effect which makes it easier for your heart to pump blood. However, if you are already taking blood thinning medicines, it would be wiser to talk to your doctor before increasing the amount of ginger in your diet.
Make some Ginger Tea
- Fresh ginger piece- 1 inch piece
- Hot water- 1 cup
- Honey (optional)- 1-2 tsp
- Grate or crush the ginger.
- Place it in a pot.
- Pour hot water over it.
- Cover and steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain if you don’t like chewing ginger otherwise there is no need to strain.
- Add honey if using.
- Have this tea. Have ginger tea 2-3 times a day.
6. Bilberry for Spider Veins
Bilberry with its purple-blue berries has been traditionally used to treat diarrhea, mouth and throat inflammations, diabetes, eye problems and poor blood circulation. This property of bilberry to improve circulations comes to your help in getting rid of spider veins. It is also rich in tannins, proanthocyanidins, flavonoids and phenolic acids. It also has an antioxidant property that protects your veins from damage done by free radicals. Apart from improving blood circulation, bilberry also strengthens blood vessels. In short, bilberry works by strengthening capillary walls and the connective tissue surrounding your veins. However because bilberry also lowers blood sugar, you must consult your doctor if you are on diabetes medication.
How to take Bilberry Extract for Spider Veins
Take 20 to 40 milligrams of bilberry extract three times a day. Get the extract that has 25% of anthocyanidins and 20 to 40mg bilberry. However, if you are also taking pine bark, avoid using bilberry extract.
Precaution: Do not take bilberry extract more than 6 weeks. If taking blood-thinning medications or some anti-inflammatory drugs, avoid taking bilberry.
7. Cayenne Pepper for Spider Veins
Cayenne pepper is a traditional herbal remedy for many conditions and now it is increasingly been used by modern medicine too. It is important in treating spider veins as it can boost your blood circulation. Due to its active ingredient capsaicin, cayenne pepper is especially useful for pain relief and circulation. When you take cayenne internally, you help expand your blood vessels thereby reducing stress on the surrounding capillaries which is very important in curing spider veins. Capsaicin in cayenne pepper also acts as a catalyst which makes it suitable for herbal blends which in turn multiplies the strength of the other herbs. For example, we have earlier seen that ginkgo biloba is a good herb for spider veins remedy. Some clinical studies have tested cayenne pepper with ginkgo biloba and have concluded that ginkgo is 75 percent more effective when it is used with cayenne. This is because cayenne improves circulation and thus provides nutrients to tissue at a very fast rate.
How to Use Cayenne Pepper
- Cayenne pepper- 1/4 tsp initially
- Water or Fresh juice- 1 cup
- You may consume cayenne pepper daily to help cure various medical conditions including spider and varicose veins.
- Initially you must add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to a cup of water or freshly squeezed juice.
- Have this every morning during the first week when you start having cayenne.
- In the second week, increase the amount of cayenne to 1/2 teaspoon in a cup of fluid.
- Keep on increasing 25% of cayenne every week till you start having 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper.
- Now have 1 tbsp cayenne pepper each morning with your juice or water for at least one month. This will help clean out your arteries too so that you may remain healthy.
8. Gotu Kola for Spider Veins
Gotu kola belonging to parsley family is widely used nowadays in the U.S. and Europe as a remedy for varicose veins and chronic venous insufficiency where blood pools in the legs. It can be also effectively used for treating spider veins. Many studies have shown that gotu kola may help reduce swelling and it also improves blood flow. Studies have also shown that people who take gotu kola have less leakage of fluid which again helps treat abnormalities of veins like in spider veins. Gotu kola can be found easily in health stores in form of tea, dried herb, tincture, capsules, tablets as well as ointment.
Was to Take Gotu Kola
- Make Gotu kola tea by steeping its dried herbs (dried leaves) in warm water. Have this 3 times a day
- If using powdered herb, has capsules (1000-4000 mg) 3 times a day. However, it is better to consult a herbalist before you take such an amount. Practicing herbalists can recommend the right dosage for your specific condition.
- You can also take Gotu Kola tincture. Have 30-60 drops daily.
- Gotu kola extract can also be taken. Have 50 – 250 mg of such extract 2-3 times a day. The extract that you buy should contain 40 % asiaticoside, 29- 30 % asiatic acid, 29 – 30 % madecassic acid, and 1 – 2 % madecassoside. For venous insufficiency, one must have about 180-200 mg of gotu kola extract daily but it is again a good idea to consult a herbalist for the right dosage.
Precaution- Gotu kola has may be harmful to the liver. Do not use gotu kola herb for more than 6 weeks and consult your doctor before taking it, especially if you have some liver problem. Before taking gotu kola again after 6 weeks, take a break of at least 2 weeks.
9. Coconut and Mustard Oil for Spider Veins
Oil massage is one of the very good remedies for spider veins used since centuries. Massage is a well known technique to improve blood circulation and a good flow of blood ensures you don’t get spider veins and also cures the ones already present on your legs. Two oils are especially recommended for spider veins and they are mustard oil and coconut oil. Mustard oil is said to be good in stimulating blood circulation as well as for strengthening the valves. Coconut oil, on the other hand, penetrates deep into the skin and heal capillaries. It may also help you with discoloration of veins by restoring the normal skin color.
- Mustard oil Or Coconut oil
- Warm the oil a little.
- Now take some of this warm oil in your palms and apply this to the area where you have spider veins.
- Gently massage the area.
- While massaging, try to keep your strokes towards the direction of your heart to improve blood circulation.
- Massage your legs or the affected area at least twice a day until you get rid of spider veins.
10. Butcher’s Broom for Spider Veins
Butcher’s broom, a herb belonging to the lily family, contains this compound called ruscogenins, which is considered to be a very effective anti-inflammatory agent. It also cures weaker veins effectively. Ruscogenins found in butcher’s broom can be understood as the active compounds that improve blood circulation as well as collagen production. This helps in strengthening the weakened valves and veins. To be more precise, ruscogenin acts as a steroid building block which means it lets your body create its own steroids so that it may stimulate vein resiliency. Ruscogenin also helps in smoothening the muscle of the vein wall which brings back its normal shape. This in turn, makes your spider veins and even varicose veins less visible.
How to take Butcher’s Broom for Spider Veins
Although it is always advisable to consult a medical herbalist before having any herb, it is generally recommended to take 100-300 milligrams of Butcher’s broom three times a day. This is when you take its capsule form.
11. Bioflavonoids for Spider Veins
Have foods with bioflavonoids to cure spider veins. Bioflavonoids, the powerful antioxidants, have anti-inflammatory properties and thus they help keep the walls of your vein strong. Bioflavonoids also protect the structural integrity of the vascular walls as well as stop free radicals from entering into your vessels. There are at least two most important bioflavonoids that may help improve your vascular health and make your vessels strong. These are proanthocyanidins (famous as the patented brand pycnogenol) and grapeseed. Pycnogenol is present in pine bark so you can always have it in any form available in health stores. When talking about foods, grape fruits will supply the bioflavonoids required by you to prevent and treat spider veins.
Have grapefruits daily. You may also consider having grapefruit seed extract.
12. Vitamin C for Spider Veins
Vitamin C improves the production of the proteins called collagen and elastin. Collagen is the building blocks of your skin and blood vessels. Both collagen and elastin help keep your vein walls flexible and strong. Vitamin C also strengthens your capillaries. Additionally, vitamin C has high amount of bioflavonoids so it makes sense to have a lots of foods that contain vitamin C
Have Foods Rich in Vitamin C
- Citrus fruits and juices, especially orange and lemon
- Red peppers
13. Foods with B Vitamins for Spider Veins
B Vitamins help in keeping your veins strong. These vitamins actually prevent spider veins from occurring. It is important for you to get enough of folic acid, vitamin B and vitamin B12 in your daily diet, particularly if you frequently suffer from blood clots and spider veins. Vitamin B3 is very effective in improving blood circulation in your veins so having this also becomes a must.
Have Foods Rich in B Vitamins
- Sunflower seeds
14. Vitamin E for Spider Veins
Vitamin E is a group of fat-soluble, antioxidant-rich compounds. Antioxidants combat free radicals that are damaging for the health of body cells. Antioxidants may also help in preventing as well as repairing your damaged veins. When you give sufficient vitamin E to your body, it protects your skin and cell membranes apart from strengthening your capillaries. This prevents spider veins formation.
Have Foods Rich in Vitamin E
- Nuts and seeds
- Green vegetables
- Vegetable oils
- Wheat germ oil
15. Vitamin E Oil for Facial Spider Veins
Now when we know that vitamin E is good for the strength of your veins, we should also consider the fact that the vitamin E oil can be used with witch hazel to get rid of spider veins on your face. Witch hazel is another spider veins remedy that we have discussed earlier in this article.
- Vitamin E oil- 1 tbsp
- Witch hazel- 1/2 tbsp
- Combine vitamin E oil and witch hazel in a small container having a tight-fitting lid.
- Shake it well to combine.
- Now gently massage a small amount of this mixture on the affected area.
- Leave it for sometime till it dries out completely.
- Wash off your face with cool water and pat dry.
- Repeat three times a day. However, if you feel irritation, stop using this remedy.
16. Include Fiber in your Diet to Get Rid of Spider Veins
Now this may seem a little confusing to you but having fiber is also important when you are trying to cure spider veins. Fiber relieves constipation that may put an excessive amount of pressure on your veins. This pressure may weaken your veins and cause swelling as well as back flow of blood. Therefore, have fibrous foods too daily, particularly insoluble fiber which will help your body soften your stool. This makes it easier for your body to remove waste without putting undue pressure on your system.
Have Foods Rich in Fiber
17. Essential Oils Blend for Spider Veins
There are many essential oils that help reduce the appearance of spider veins, even on your face. Some of such essential oils are carrot essential oil and spinach essential oil.
Carrot essential oil has antiseptic, disinfectant, detoxifying, antioxidant, anticarcinogenic, carminative, depurative, diuretic, emenagogue, stimulant, cytophylactic and tonic properties. It stimulates not only the blood circulation of your body but also its metabolic function. It is a tonic and thus tones up the tissues and muscles to make them more strong and efficient. Carrot seed essential oil also stimulates the growth of new cells and tissues which is a helpful attribute to cure spider veins. This oil will relieve muscle aches too.
Spinach essential oil too has many beneficial properties like antioxidant, diuretic, laxative, astringent, demulcent properties etc. It is capable of soothing your blood vessels while maintaining proper blood circulation. When the tension of arteries and vessels is reduced, it also relieves stress on your cardiovascular system and increases oxygenation throughout your body. This is also good for proper functioning of your veins.
How to Use Essential Oils for Spider Veins
- Carrot essential oil- 1 tsp
- Spinach essential oil- 1 tsp
- Jojoba oil- 20 tsp
- Cotton pad
- Bottle or jar- 1
- Combine carrot essential oil and spinach essential oil with jojoba oil in a bottle or jar
- Shake well to combine properly.
- Take a small amount of this mixture onto a cotton pad.
- Dab this cotton pad on the area affected with spider veins.
- Leave this oil mixture on your skin for about 30 minutes
- Wash off with cool water.
- Repeat this twice a day.
- The mixture will stay safe for about a month when you store it in a cool, dark place.
Other Tips to Prevent and Cure Spider Veins
Apart from herbs, home remedies and foods etc. there are many lifestyle habits and routines that you need to change or adopt if you really want to get rid of spider veins.
- Drink enough water to keep your body hydrated. This helps flush toxins from your body and keeps your metabolism intact. It is also essential for keeping your connective tissues supple.
- Avoid drinks with large amounts of caffeine like soda, coffee and caffeinated teas etc. They lead to dehydration and also to constipation, which is often a contributing factor for spider veins formation.
- Avoid excessive alcohol. Alcohol causes your blood vessels to dilate. Excessive alcohol over a long period of time may cause your veins to dilate permanently leading to spider veins.
- You may also consider using compression stockings as they help boost blood flow towards your heart rather than making blood pool in your legs. This is really helpful when you need to stand on your feet all through the day for work.
- Exercise daily to help maintain a healthy blood circulation. This is also essential for your overall health.
- Do some leg toning exercise to get rid of spider veins. Walking may also help increase circulation.
- Don’t sit or stand for a longer time at a stretch. Move around a little in between or keep changing position.
- When sitting for a longer time, keep your legs elevated. Don’t sit with your legs crossed for longer as it cut off circulation leading to spider veins.
- If you are overweight, lose weight. Excessive weight puts more pressure on your legs causing spider veins.
- Try to sleep always on your back with your legs elevated. Place a pillow under your legs to increase blood circulation and relieve pressure on your legs.
- Limit your salt consumption. Excessive salt leads to inflammation and spider veins.
- Don’t smoke. It to leads to spider veins by hardening the arteries and veins.
- Avoid wearing high heels. They put too much stress on your veins as your legs remain in an unnatural position against gravity.
All these tips along with the natural home and herbal remedies discussed above will sure get you rid of spider veins!