So, you are tired of managing your frizzy hair everyday! Well, you are not the single one out there who wants to know how to control frizzy hair or how to stop frizzy hair from making everyday a bad hair day! You might be relieved to know that there are many home remedies for frizzy hair but before you go for one of these dry frizzy hair remedies, you need to know why on earth do you have frizzy hair and after all what is frizzy hair?
What is Frizzy Hair?
Simply speaking, frizzy hair is the messy tangle of hair that you can find at the top of your head. But why do you have this messy frizz in your hair! Your hair is composed of three layers apart from millions of cells. Cuticle is the outer layer of your hair and its condition decides whether you will have frizzy hair or not. The cuticle is like a shingled roof and when the shingles lie flat; your hair remains straight and smooth. Whenever these shingles lift up, they form frizz on the hair surface.
Why do you have Frizzy Hair?
Now you know that the raised cuticle layer of your hair is what gives you dry frizzy hair. Lack of moisture is the main reason why cuticle of hair raises. If you have curly hair, you are prone to have frizzy hair too because curly hair are drier than straight hair. Brushing also causes raising of cuticle layer. Apart from brushing, other causes of frizzy hair include excessive usage of blow dryer, swimming in chlorinated water, wrong hair care products having loads of chemicals and extremely humid environment. However, wet and dry environment too may cause frizzy hair in many people.
How to Make Hair Less Frizzy
The next big question is, how to tame frizzy hair! The first tip for this is not to let your hair loose its moisture! Dryness causes your hair become frizzy. So, anything- shampoo, conditioner, other hair products- whatever makes your hair dry, stop using them to prevent frizz in your hair. Try other hair products that have natural ingredients that lock moisture inside hair. Trials with various such products will ultimately bring to you the right hair cosmetic that doesn’t cause frizzy hair and keeps your hair smooth and shiny.
Also, do not swim a lot, especially if the pool has chlorinated water (which all pools have inevitably!). Restrict yourself to swim only once or twice a week and try to cover your hair as much as possible during swimming. Also, wash your hair immediately after swimming with mild shampoo and conditioner that suits your hair. Here are some more tips on how to make your hair less frizzy:
- Use a glycerine shampoo, the one which is also a sulphate free shampoo. Glycerine hydrates your hair inside out and also forms a protective layer over your hair so that you do not get frizz. Sulfate is a very drying and harmful chemical so avoid it in your shampoo.
- Always apply conditioner after shampooing. This helps moisturize your hair and prevents its cuticle from opening up. In fact, once or twice a week, you can only apply conditioner and no shampoo to your hair. This will ensure your hair doesn’t lose much of its moisture and gets extra moisturizer from the conditioner.
- Avoid using blow dryers. Direct hot air dehydrates your hair like nothing else. If, however, you cannot totally discard blow drying your hair, allow your hair to dry almost about ninety percent before you use that hot air machine close to your hair!
- Brush your hair in the right manner to let natural oils pamper your hair. Use boar bristle brush. The very structure of boar bristle brush helps carry the sebum (natural oil produced by your scalp) right till the end of your hair shaft. This allows coating of each hair strand with a little sebum. As a result, you get rid of dry hair and any frizz due to it. Be aware that sebum is the natural and the most effective anti-frizz serum provided to you by your body. Brush from root to hair tip to help distribute the sebum properly.
This was about how to tame frizzy hair to make it less frizzy. But what if you want to stop frizzy hair, to be precise, if you want to get rid of frizzy hair once and for all! Then you need to adopt one or the other remedy for frizzy hair!
Home Remedies to get rid of Frizzy Hair
Here are some of the best remedies for frizzy hair. They are easy to apply and effective in managing and ultimately getting rid of dry frizzy hair!
Use Vinegar to Tame Frizzy Hair
Vinegar, or apple cider vinegar, both are a very good remedy for frizzy hair. They help balance the pH levels of your hair and close down any open cuticle shingle. This makes your hair look smooth and shiny without any frizz. Additionally, vinegar removes all the dirt and even grease lying there in your hair or scalp. The only drawback is that vinegar smells. However, apple cider vinegar doesn’t smell so you can use this one if you are worried about people stepping back while talking to you! Make this vinegar rinse for your dry frizzy hair.
- Vinegar or Apple cider vinegar- 1/2 to 1 cup
- Warm water- 1-2 cups
- Shampoo your hair as you do regularly.
- Rinse your hair properly with water.
- Now mix the vinegar and warm water to make your after wash hair rinse.
- Pour this mix of vinegar and water from scalp down to the end of your hair.
- Leave it for a minute or two.
- Now rinse your hair once again with water.
Use Carbonated Water to Stop Frizzy Hair
Carbonated water can be understood as the water in which the carbon dioxide gas has been dissolved under pressure. Club soda, soda water, sparkling water, seltzer water, or fizzy water- all of them are carbonated water. You can rinse your hair with such carbonated water to tame the frizzy hair. And why does carbonated water works so well to control frizzy hair! It is because the pH of carbonated water is mildly acidic (around 5-6 pH). Your hair is covered with a very thin layer of oil, salt and water, known as the mantle. This mantle is slightly acidic with a pH of about 4.5- 5 and is crucial in maintaining proper moisture balance into your hair. It also helps cuticle scales lie flat so that they do not form frizz. Due to the exposure to various alkaline products, your hair may swell and the cuticle may lift resulting into frizzy, dull, brittle hair. Carbonated water and other such mild acidic fluids can restore the right pH of your hair and thus stop the frizz.
- Carbonated water
- Wash your hair with shampoo and water.
- Now rinse the hair simply with any carbonated water.
- Do this after every session of washing hair with shampoo.
- Keep on doing this regularly for quite some time till you feel the problem of your frizzy hair has been solved.
Give it a Beer Rinse to Get Rid of Frizzy Hair
Beer rinse has now become not-so-unknown-remedy for frizzy hair and to bring an exceptionally outstanding shine into your hair too. Beer can replenish the lost moisture in your hair. If you remember, lack of moisture is the main cause of frizzy hair. Various minerals and nutrients including vitamin B and natural sugars present in beer also add volume and shine to your hair. If you want this remedy to be more effective, use darker beer. They are loaded with more nutrients and moisture.
- Beer (at room temperature)- 1 cup
- Wash your hair with shampoo and water as you do regularly.
- Now take the beer and rinse your hair with this working it into your hair properly. You should coat your hair well with beer.
- Now let it sit into your hair for few minutes.
- Then wash off your hair with water once again.
- Do this regularly for some time.
Use Avocado Masks to Control Frizzy Hair
Nobody can disagree that avocado is rich in nourishing fatty acids and is an excellent moisturizing agent. It is full of nutrients, especially vitamin E that helps stop frizzy hair. So why not make a hair mask with a ripe avocado mashed with one or the other hydrating agents such as olive oil, mayonnaise, yogurt, banana, coconut oil etc.
- Ripe Avocado- 1/2-1
- Any one of the below
- Mayonnaise- 1 cup
- Olive oil- 1-2 tbsp
- Coconut oil- 1-2 tbsp
- Ripe banana- 1
- Yogurt- 1/2- 1 cup
- Warm water
- Take the avocado and mash it well.
- Now take the other hydrating agent of your choice from the list given and mix it with the mashed avocado to form a paste.
- Apply this to your hair while rubbing gently into it.
- Now soak the towel into warm water and wring out the excessive water.
- Wrap this warm towel around your head and leave for about half an hour.
- Now wash off your hair with shampoo and water.
- Do this once a week to get rid of your dry frizzy hair.
Give Oil Treatment to Tame Frizzy Hair
Nothing can be a good conditioner for your dry frizzy hair than the oils. Such oils as coconut oil and olive oil had been used since ages by people to keep their hair smooth, shiny, and frizz free. These oils have many nutrients in them that help your hair become strong and healthy too. So, once or twice in a week, give your hair a nice hot oil massage and tame your frizzy hair forever.
- Coconut oil or Olive oil- 1/4 – 1/2 cup (depending upon the length of your hair)
- Hot water
- Warm the oil of your choice.
- Now apply this warm oil to your hair. Apply this to your scalp too so as to nourish your hair completely from roots till end.
- Using your finger tips, massage the oil into your scalp.
- Use your palms to gently rub your hair locks to coat them well with the warm oil.
- Keep on massaging the scalp and hair for a good 10-15 minutes.
- Now soak the towel in the hot water and then wring out the excess water.
- Wrap the hot towel around your hair and head.
- Leave it for about 30 minutes.
- Now wash off with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
- If you do not want to give hot towel treatment to your hair, leave the oil into the hair overnight.
- Wash off hair the next morning.
- Repeat this 1-2 times a week. If you hair are extremely dry, brittle and frizzy, you may even do this on alternate days for sometime.
Use Eggs to Hydrate and Control Frizzy Hair
Eggs are a treasure of nutrients. They have many vitamins and minerals along with high class protein. All t he nutrients of eggs nourish and strengthen hair roots as well as scalp. And when you are battling frizzy hair, eggs will softens and moisturize your dry frizzy hair making them naturally silky and shiny. The natural amino acids in the eggs play a very important role in revitalizing your hair follicles to smooth your frizzy hair.
- Egg- 1
- Olive oil- 1/4 cup
- Mayonnaise- 1/4 cup
- Combine egg, olive oil and mayonnaise and mix them well.
- Apply this mixture to your hair well.
- Cover your hair with the towel and leave it there for about 30 minutes.
- Wash off your hair with shampoo, conditioner and water.
- Repeat this once or twice a week.
Banana for Dry Frizzy Hair Remedy
A banana, as you might know, is a rich source of many nutrients. It is rich in potassium and thus is capable of not only managing frizzy hair but also in strengthening your hair as it restores the natural elasticity of your hair. The oil in bananas excellently moisturizes your hair.
- Banana (ripe)- 1
- Coconut/almond/olive oil- 1-2 tbsp
- Honey- 2 tsp
- Yogurt (optional)- 1-2 tsp
- Cut the banana into pieces
- Add your choice of oil and honey to this.
- Blend it to make a smooth paste. Do not add water. If needed add some yogurt.
- Wet your hair.
- Apply this hair mask to your hair, cover it all.
- Leave for about 30 minutes. You may wrap a towel around your head.
- Now wash off with shampoo and water.
- Do this weekly to tame your frizzy hair.
Use Coconut Milk to Deep Condition your Frizzy Hair
Coconut milk is rich in various nutrients like vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6, iron, selenium, calcium, iron, magnesium and phosphorus. All these make it a great treat not only for your overall health but also for your hair and skin. It is a great moisturizing agent that gives you a frizz free hair when you apply it on your hair.
- Coconut milk- 2-4 tbsp
- Lemon juice (optional)- few drops
- Take the coconut milk and rub it into your hair from roots till end.
- You may also warm it a little before you apply it to your hair.
- If it is thick coconut milk, add some lemon juice to it to make it some more effective for frizzy hair.
- Leave it into your hair for about 20-30 minutes, or even overnight.
- Wash off with your regular shampoo and water.
- Repeat once or twice a week.
Make Honey Mask for Dry Frizzy Hair
Honey is a natural humectant. This means it attracts moisture and thus is fully capable of treating your dry frizzy hair. Honey also has antioxidants and various nutrients to make your hair strong as well as to help in hair growth. It not only conditions and moisturizes your dry frizzy hair but also gives it shine and gloss and makes it smooth and soft without any split ends. You can either apply honey alone with some water or add other useful ingredients that also help control frizzy hair.
- Honey- 1/4 cup
- Any one of the below ingredients:
- Water- enough to make honey thinner to apply
- Apple cider vinegar- 8-10 tbsp
- Olive oil- 4-5 tbsp
- Coconut oil- 4-5 tbsp
- Mix the honey with your choice of ingredient from the above list.
- Then apply it to your hair.
- Leave it there for about 20-30 minutes.
- Wash off with shampoo and water. If needed, use slightly warm water as honey may get stuck into your hair.
Uncommon Remedy with Breast Milk for Frizzy Hair
Here is a very unconventional remedy for dry frizzy hair, breast milk. Yes, if you are a new mother, it may not be very difficult to get your own breast milk to tame frizzy hair. Breast milk has just the right amounts of protein and fat and thus deeply condition your hair to help get rid of frizzy hair. It’s essential vitamins and minerals help you get rid of extremely dry hair.
- You may apply breast milk to your frizzy hair with finger tips.
- Alternatively, you can fill it in a spray bottle and spray it over your hair.
- Leave it there for 20-30 minutes.
- Now wash off with your regular shampoo.
Apply Vitamin E Oil to Tame Frizzy Hair
Vitamin E is a known effective antioxidant that can do wonders for your hair and skin too. While the oil at normal temperature is enough to condition your dry frizzy hair, when you combine it with other oils and warm up this oil mixture a little, it deeply conditions your hair and give you smooth frizz free hair without any split ends. Here is how to use Vitamin E oil to stop frizzy hair from bothering you.
- Olive oil- 6 tsp
- Jojoba oil- 6 tsp
- Coconut oil- 6 tsp
- Hemp oil- 6 tsp
- Vitamin E oil- 12 tsp
- Mix all the oils and store in a bottle.
- Apply 2 tbsp of this oil to your clean and dry hair.
- Comb through your hair to ensure its proper absorption.
- Now leave it for 30 minutes or overnight
- Wash off in the morning with shampoo.
- To make it more effective, warm 2 tbsp oil and then apply to your hair.
- Wrap a towel for 30 minutes.
- Then leave it overnight.
- Wash in the morning.
- Repeat 1-2 times a week.
All these remedies provide your hair with deep moisturizing and help control frizzy hair. Try one or more of these home remedies for frizzy hair and get rid of your dry frizzy hair once and for all!