While it is normal to feel an urge to urinate 4-6 times a day but if it exceeds this number, you may be suffering from the problem of frequent urination, especially if you need to urinate more than 8 times a day. From diabetes, pregnancy, anxiety to bladder stones, kidney infections, urinary tract infection and prostate problem, there can be multiple causes of frequent urination. If you have not been drinking excess water or too close to your bedtime and still having to urinate for more than 8 times a day or wake up repeatedly at night, you must visit your doctor for underlying cause of frequent urination. This becomes crucial if your frequent urination is accompanied by fever and chills. If there is nothing very serious about your frequent urination problem, you can use one or more of the below home remedies for frequent urination.
Amla-Banana-Honey Remedy for Frequent Urination
Amla is the Indian gooseberry. It is widely used in many medications prepared by Ayurveda stream of medicine in India. The high amounts of anti-oxidants present in amla helps cleanse your bladder and improve the strength of its muscle. Sphincter strength is also increased by amla juice and thus it is especially a good remedy for those whose muscles and sphincter of urinary bladder get weakened.
- Amla (Indian gooseberry)- 1 (or use amla powder- ½ tsp but it is less effective than fresh amla)
- Banana- 1
- Sugar candy powder/ jaggery (basically you need unprocessed sugar)- 1 tsp
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Crush the amla or grate it after deseeding.
- Extract its juice by pressing against a sieve or in a clean cloth.
- Add sugar candy powder to the freshly extracted amla juice and mix well.
- Add honey to this and have the mixture with banana.
- Have this 2-4 times a day depending upon the severity of your frequent urination problem.
Pomegranate for Frequent Urination Remedy
If your frequent urination problem is due to prostate problem, what you need is the delicious fruit, pomegranate. Pomegranates are rich sources of anti-oxidants and such natural components as polyphenols, anthocyanins and ellagic acid. But what is most effective for urination problem due to prostate issue is its juice that inhibits an enzyme that produces estrogen, the possible cause of BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) in older men. The antioxidants of pomegranate remove free radicals from that may damage the cellular membranes or DNA leading to prostate cancer.
- Pomegranates- 3-6 (enough to make 1- 1-1/2 cups of juice)
- Separate the seeds of pomegranate and take out their juice.
- Have this juice.
- You need to have about 1 to one and a half cups of pomegranate juice daily.
Sesame and Other Seeds Remedy for Frequent Urination
Sometimes deficiency of zinc is also associated with prostate problem and one of the symptoms of prostate problem is frequent urination. You should therefore eat more fruits and vegetables that are a good source of zinc like apples and apricots. Sesame seeds are a very good source of zinc as are other seeds like watermelon seeds, pumpkin seeds etc.
- Black sesame seeds
- White sesame seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Cucumber seeds
- Watermelon seeds
- Melon seeds kernels
Take all the above seeds in equal quantity
- Jar with lid
- Hot milk- 1 cup
- Take all the seeds and grind them to get a powder.
- Store this seeds powder in a jar with lid.
- Now to use it, take ½ tsp of the prepared seeds powder.
- Have this with a cup of hot milk daily.
Fenugreek Seeds for Frequent Urination Remedy
Fenugreek seeds are a very good source of vitamins, phytonutrients and minerals including zinc. Not only does these seeds act as laxative, digestive agent and a remedy for cough as well as bronchitis, but are also excellent remedy for frequent urination. If you have this problem of urine leakage along with the urge to urinate frequently, you can consider this remedy for good.
- Fenugreek seeds- 1-4 tbsp
- Dry roast the fenugreek seeds in a pan until they change their color to dark brown and you get a nice aroma.
- Now let the seeds cool down.
- Once the fenugreek seeds cool down, grind them to powder and store in a small jar or bottle with a lid.
- Take ½ tsp of this roasted fenugreek seed powder and have it daily. You may have it with water.
Cranberries for Frequent Urination Remedy
If you suffer from frequent urination due to urinary tract infection (UTI), cranberries and cranberry juice may prove to be an effective remedy. Cranberries are loaded with antioxidants known as proanthocyanidins. Now what do these proanthocyanidins do? For this you need to first know that UTI is mainly caused by bacteria that live on the genitals or in your digestive tract. When these bacteria enter into your urinary tract and stick to the walls of your bladder and ureters, you get a urinary tract infection. Now the proanthocyanidins present in cranberry juice break this bond of bacteria with the walls of your urinary tract. The bacteria are then driven out of your system. However, it is effective in the early stages of UTI. If you have crossed the early stage and are on medical treatment, cranberry juice may actually increase the instances of frequent urination as it is an effective diuretic. Consult your doctor if you should take this juice or not if you are already having medicines for UTI.
- Have 1-2 cups of cranberry juice a day.
Yogurt for Frequent Urination Remedy
One of the effective natural remedies for frequent urination is having yogurt, the plain yogurt. Such yogurt has in itself the beneficial bacteria named Lactobacillus acidophilus. Lactobacillus acidophilus effectively prevents the growth of harmful bacteria in your whole system including bladder and urinary tract. So, if the cause behind your frequent urination is the bacterial infection, having plain yogurt may help you get rid of it.
- Have 1-2 bowls of plain yogurt everyday
- Do not ever have flavoured yogurt because they contain sweeteners as well other artificial agents and do not contain the beneficial bacteria.
Do Kegel Exercises to Get Rid of Frequent Urination
Our pelvic floor muscles support and hold up our bladder. When these pelvic floor muscles become weak, we can experience not only urine leakage but also frequent urination and urinary incontinence. Kegel exercises can drastically improve the strength of your pelvic floor muscles and help you get rid of frequent urination and other urine related problems.
How to do Kegel exercise?
- First of all, you need to identify your pelvic floor muscles. For this, while you are urinating, stop urination midstream. If you are able to stop urinating midway, you will just know what muscle have you contracted.
- Now to do kegel exercise, empty your bladder fully.
- Lie down on your back.
- Then tighten the pelvic floor muscles. Just Pull in and squeeze these muscles.
- It is important not to tense the muscles in your buttocks, legs, or abdomen. Also don’t hold your breath. Instead, breathe freely while doing the exercise.
- You have contracted your muscles, hold this squeeze for 5-10 seconds, and then relax for the next 5-10 seconds.
- Do this again, contract the muscles, hold, and relax. Repeat this for 5-10 times in a row.
- Do this exercise 3-4 times daily. This means you need to do 3-4 sets of 10 contractions daily.
- As with all other exercises, Kegel exercise will strengthen your pelvic muscles slowly and gradually. Do this exercise daily for 3-6 weeks and do this daily for at least 3 times.
Abdominal Massage for Frequent Urination in Women
Many women experience menstrual problems that may lead to bladder issues including frequent urination, bladder infections, or Interstitial Cystitis. The cause behind these conditions may be the tilted position of uterus that exerts excess pressure onto the bladder. In such cases, abdominal massage can be a remedy for not only frequent urination but also the other related issues. Massage basically repositions the organs in the lower pelvic cavity like bladder, uterus, lower bowel and rectum. While there are certain steps that can be learnt to conduct such massage to get rid of frequent urination, it is highly recommended that expert help should be taken for such massages. For a general understanding, these steps of massage are given here but one should always take assistance of massage therapist in doing so.
- Place the tips of the fingers at the top of your pubic bone.
- Move your hands in short strokes inwards (towards your spine) and upwards (towards your head).
- The best position for doing such massage is while lying down, preferably before you go to sleep.
- The hands should travel from the public bone to the navel in short strokes.
Precaution: Always consult and take help of massage therapist while doing such massage.
Prostate Massage for Frequent Urination in Men
One of the treatments for frequent urination in men due to prostate problems is the Prostate Massage Therapy. This massage is either given internally or externally. While this treatment should always be conducted by your doctor, it finds place in this remedy list for frequent urination because this technique doesn’t use any drug. Internal Prostate Massage is done through the anal opening with the help of special tools. Massage is given to the prostate walls to ease the flow of urine. External massage is given in between the scrotum and anus. Apart from these two massages, there is yet another way, rather apparatus that is used to give a massage to men in order to relieve frequent urination in them. It is called Prostate Cradle, a tool specially made to massage the prostate externally.
Talk to your doctor if you think any of such massages can help you get rid of frequent urination problem.
Diet Remedies for Frequent Urination
Sometimes, it is as simple as changing some of your food habits to get rid of frequent urination. Here are some tips on diets for frequent urination remedy.
- Eat more fiber and nutrients rich foods- Fiber helps prevent constipation. Frequent urination, most of the times, accompanies constipation. You should also have those foods more that are rich in magnesium and calcium. These may include brown rice, barley, bananas, potatoes etc
- Have anti-oxidant rich foods- Antioxidants combat free radicals and anything that is toxic in your body including bacteria. So, have those foods that have more anti-oxidants in them tomatoes, squash, cherries, berries including blueberries and cranberries.
- Have enough water and fluids- Here the problem of frequent urination starts and there you reduce your water intake. That’s a grave mistake. This may cause dehydration. Don’t reduce your water intake. Have at least 6-8 glasses of water in a day depending upon the weather and your activity levels.
- Avoid acidic foods- Acidic foods may increase the problems related to your bladder. Better avoid them. Don’t have acidic juices like orange and grapefruit juice, spicy, salty, fried and hot foods. Also avoid having sugar, artificial sweeteners, carbonated drinks, pasteurized dairy products, as well as red meat.
Taking all these dietary precaution along with some lifestyle changes like regular exercising and Kegel exercises for strengthening pelvic muscles will help you get rid of frequent urination. However, because frequent urination have various different causes, some of which are really serious, you should visit your doctor to get a proper diagnosis and treatment for the underlying cause of your frequent urination.