An abscessed tooth can be understood as an infection of a tooth which spreads till the root tip of the affected tooth. Abscess is the pus made up of dead white blood cells, tissue debris, and bacteria. Due to many causes such as cavities or pulpitis etc. the affected tooth loses its ability to combat infections which then reaches the pulp chamber of the tooth. This is the inner chamber of the tooth having numerous blood vessels and nerves that are called pulp of the tooth. Tooth abscess or the periapical abscess begins from the pulp of the tooth. The infection which could not be contained makes the bacteria multiply and reach the bottom of the tooth root and into the bone. Dental cavity, inflammation of the pulp of the tooth, a blow or other trauma due to clenching and grinding of teeth are some of the causes of abscessed tooth. So, next time when a tooth continuously throbs and gives you pain as well as sleepless nights, do not just ignore it as a normal toothache. Get it checked if its abscessed tooth or not. If yes, here are some home remedies for you to deal with such abscessed tooth.
Natural Remedies for Abscessed Tooth
If you go to your dentist, the usual course of treatment for an abscessed tooth would involve clearing the infection with the help of oral antibiotics and draining the tooth of the infection. Once the infection of the affected tooth gets cleared, a root canal procedure would be done by the dentist. However, If the tooth cannot be restored, it would be extracted. As an abscessed tooth has rotten from withing, home remedies cannot restore the tooth. These remedies can only relieve you of the symptoms such as inflammation and pain. Certain herbalists though, are of the view that many natural anti-bacterial agents can combat the infection of an abscessed tooth. Even if the infection is cured with remedies, you still need to visit your dentist for root canal or extraction of the tooth. In case of abscessed tooth, you must seek advice from a dentist as soon as possible. This recommendation is valid even if you are going to use home remedies for abscessed tooth.
1. Warm Compress for Abscessed Tooth
This is one of the treatments for abscessed tooth that is even suggested by doctors. Warmth not only helps relieve inflammation to give you relief from pain but also helps drain the pus out of your infected teeth.
- Warm water- 1 cup
- Salt- 1/4 tsp
- Cotton swab
- Add the salt to the warm water.
- Mix well and soak the cotton swab in this.
- Take it out and wring out the excess water.
- Now place this warm compress against your infected tooth.
- Hold it there for some time till it gets cold.
- Take it out and discard.
- Repeat the process with another swab.
- Do this for few minutes.
- Repeat the process 3-4 times a day.
2. Garlic for Abscessed Tooth
Garlic is one of the nature’s best anti-bacterial. Not only does its anti-inflammatory properties give you relief from swelling and pain, its natural antibiotic properties help prevent the bacterial infection of abscess tooth. The wonder seems to be done by its compound allicin. For making allicin active, however, you need to crush the garlic cloves. Here’s what you should do.
- Garlic cloves- 3-4
- Peel and wash the garlic cloves properly.
- Now crush them and squeeze out the juice.
- Apply this juice to your abscess tooth. This will also one of the good remedies for toothache.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
- Additionally, eat 2-3 garlic cloves daily but don’t forget to crush or mince them before you eat them. Whole garlic will not give you the benefit of allicin present in it.
3. Clove Oil for Abscessed Tooth
Clove, the spice herb, has been one of the best remedies for toothache since ages. It can also relieve discomforts associated with abscessed tooth due to its excellent anti-fungal, antiseptic, anti-bacterial and analgesic properties. Not only does it combats the infection but also help you get rid of various other tooth and gum issues. You may as well use clove powder or a whole clove if you do not have clove oil with you.
Ways to Use Clove for Abscessed Tooth
- Take some clove oil and apply this to your tooth with the help of a cotton ball.
- You may also brush your teeth gently with clove oil. Do not put much pressure though.
- Take a couple of drops of clove oil on to your finger and rub your tooth and the surrounding gums gently with this. Do this 3-4 times a day.
- If you feel clove oil to be too strong, dilute it with olive or coconut oil. Take 1/4 tsp of olive oil or coconut oil and add 2-3 drops of clove oil to this. Now apply this to your tooth.
- Take some clove powder and apply this to your tooth. This can be little harsher on your surrounding gums as powder is too strong. So be careful while using it.
- You may instead add some clove powder to warm water (not hot) and swish your mouth with this.
- Take a whole clove and place it where your tooth aches. If possible chew it slowly so as to release its juice. Let it be in your mouth for a good 20-30 minutes.
4. Oil Pulling for Abscessed Tooth
Oil pulling has been one of the oldest methods to keep teeth healthy as it draws out all the toxins out there in your teeth. Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medicine, uses oil pulling as one of the remedies for all teeth problems, from healing cavities to abscessed tooth. It literally pulls out bacteria of your teeth! If you can, use coconut oil for pulling toxins and bacteria out of your abscessed tooth due to its fine anti-bacterial properties.
How to do Oil Pulling?
- Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Clove oil (optional)- 1-2 drops
- Warm water
- If you are pulling oil for abscessed tooth, its good if you mix some anti-bacterial and analgesic oil like clove oil to your coconut oil.
- Now place this oil in your mouth.
- Start swishing the oil inside your mouth.
- Pull the oil in your mouth back and forth and sideways. Focus more on your abscessed tooth. However be gentle while swishing the oil all around your mouth.
- Swish the oil for about 20 minutes.
- Now spit it out.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Do this daily, preferably in the morning.
5. Salt Water Rinse for Abscessed Tooth
When you go to the doctor for an abscessed tooth or gums, you may be asked to rinse your mouth with warm salt water a few times a day for several days. This is thus one of the home remedies for abscessed tooth that is endorsed by dentists themselves. Saline water has a three way effect on your painful tooth- it helps reduce infection, pain as well as inflammation.
- Salt- 1/8 to 1/2 tsp
- Warm water- 1 glass
- Add the salt to your warm water.
- Mix well and rinse your mouth with this water.
- For this swish this warm saline water all around inside your mouth.
- Repeat this 3-4 times a day.
6. Oil of Oregano for Abscessed Tooth
Oregano oil or the oil of oregano has natural antimicrobial and antispasmodic properties. When you use oregano oil for abscessed tooth, it will numb the area for sometime. This makes you senseless about the pain you had been experiencing in your mouth. Due to its antimicrobial properties, oil of oregano also clears up the infection. Why this oil is so good for abscessed tooth is also because it helps abscess drainage while killing the bacteria in the pus there.
- Oil of oregano- 2-3 drops
- Cotton swab
- Pour the drops of oregano oil on to the cotton swab.
- Apply this swab to your abscessed tooth and hold it there for few minutes.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
7. Potato for Abscessed Tooth
Potato, very interestingly, has also been linked to the healing of abscessed tooth. It is said that this humble vegetable has antiseptic properties, thanks to its alkaline nature. Even more interesting is that potato is said to have acidic properties as well. This acidic nature of potato is said to slough off dead cells and other toxins. However, there is no scientific backing about the claims made about potato but many people who used this remedy have found it soothing. So, if you want to give a chance to potato, you too can go ahead and see if potato remedy works for you.
- Slice of raw potato
- Take the slice of raw potato and place it against the abscess.
- Leave it there for at least an hour.
- You may even leave it there overnight.
- When you remove the slice of potato from around your abscessed tooth, you may see some discoloration over it.
- This discoloration might be due to the toxins pulled out of the infected tooth.
8. Peppermint Oil Tooth Abscess
Peppermint oil has anti-septic properties and thus it kills the bacteria to heal your tooth abscess. This oil is more useful as it has anti-inflammatory properties as well that relieve you of the pain caused by your abscessed tooth. Not only the oil, you can even use peppermint leaves to get all its benefits. Here are the two ways to use peppermint for tooth abscess.
1st Method to Use Peppermint for Tooth Abscess- Oil Remedy
- Peppermint oil- 2-4 drops
- Cotton swab (optional)
- Pour the drops of peppermint oil onto your cotton swab and apply this to your abscessed tooth.
- You may even use your finger to apply the oil.
- If using cotton swab, hold it against the tooth for some time before removing it.
- If using finger, gently rub the infected tooth and the surrounding area with your oiled finger for some time.
- Repeat this 3-4 times a day or more if you feel the need to do so.
2nd Method to Use Peppermint for Tooth Abscess- Leaves Remedy
- Dried peppermint leaves
- Warm water
- Place some dried peppermint leaves all around your abscessed tooth.
- Let them be there for few minutes and then spit out.
- Do this several times a day.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water afterwards.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar for Abscessed Tooth
Apple cider vinegar has many beneficial components that include acetic acid and malic acid. These two acids gave excellent antibacterial, antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties. Thus, you can hope to heal your tooth infection with the help of this wonderful drink called apple cider vinegar. In fact, ACV has now been recognized as one of the best detoxification agents and thus you will only help your tooth get cleared of all toxins when you use apple cider vinegar. While it is always useful to have 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed in a large glass of water everyday, when we talk about abscessed tooth, you can use ACV to rinse your mouth to get rid of bacterial infection.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (raw, organic)- 1 tablespoon
- Take apple cider vinegar and place it in your mouth.
- Now swish it all around your mouth for few minutes.
- Then spit it out.
- Repeat this 2-4 times a day.
10. Baking Soda for Abscess Tooth
Just like apple cider vinegar, baking soda has also been one of the kitchen ingredients that is used in many home remedies for various medical conditions. This is true for abscessed tooth as well. Baking soda has this pH balancing effect. It makes your mouth’s pH level such that becomes hostile for the survival of bacteria.
- Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Cotton ball
- Mix baking soda and salt
- Soak the cotton ball in water and then wring out the excess water. You just need a damp cotton ball.
- Now roll this damp cotton over the baking soda-salt mixture.
- Place this cotton ball against your abscessed tooth.
- Leave it there for at least an hour.
- Repeat the process several times a day till all the pus gets drained.
You may even use baking soda to brush your teeth. You can also make a paste with baking soda and water and apply this to your abscess tooth.
11. Hydrogen Peroxide for Abscessed Tooth
Hydrogen peroxide is naturally produced by organisms, mostly by a respiratory burst as part of the immune response. Now hydrogen peroxide is manufactured by the anthraquinone process for various uses including medical usage. It is medically used as disinfectant. It is a very good antimicrobial agent and thus can help you get rid of tooth abscess.
- Hydrogen peroxide- 2 tsp
- Warm water- 1 tbsp
- Cotton ball (optional)
- Mix hydrogen peroxide with warm water
- Swish the mixture all around in your mouth for few minutes.
- Spit it out. Do not swallow.
- You may also take a cotton ball and dip it in the hydrogen peroxide solution. Then dab it on the infected area in your mouth.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day.
[Also Read: 15 Home Remedies for Instant Wisdom Tooth Pain Relief]
12. Olive Leaves for Abscessed Tooth
Olive leaves and fruit are a well known herbal remedy for various health issues. Now it is also accepted as a natural antibiotic due to its fine properties that can combat infection effectively. There is oleuropein in olive leaves that gives the herb its anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and thus can reduce pain too. Olive leaves are available in form of herbal capsules as well as extract.
How to take Olive Leaf Extract
Generally it is recommended that one should take olive leaf extract in form of four tablets daily. However, it is always better to consult a herbalist to know the exact amount of doses for one’s individual condition. Even if following the instructions gives with the tablets, one should begin with having two tablets. Give a gap of four hours before taking other tablet.
13. Chamomile for Abscessed Tooth
Chamomile is also one of the common herbal remedy for tooth abscesses. The anti-inflammatory properties of chamomile can heal injured tissues effectively. You can either drink chamomile tea or use the herb as poultice to reduce swelling and resultant pain due to abscess.
Ways to Use Chamomile for Tooth Abscess
- Have 3 to 4 cups of chamomile tea every day
- If you see swelling on your face due to tooth infection, make a poultice of chamomile and apply it topically over affected area many times a day.
- You can also wet the chamomile tea bag in some warm water and hold it against your infected tooth for some time.
14. Echinacea for Abscess Tooth
Echinacea is considered to be a natural antibiotic that can combat infections very effectively. Not only this, it also helps relieve pain and inflammation caused by infection. You can easily find echinacea available in the form of tinctures and capsules or you may make some tea with echinacea and use it to treat your abscessed tooth.
- Echinacea herb or tea bag- 1 tsp or or 1 tea bag
- Water (warm)- 1 cup
- Pour warm water over the herb or tea bag.
- Let it steep for some time.
- Now strain the tea or just remove the tea bag.
- Rinse your mouth well with this herbal tea swishing it around your mouth.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day.
15. Tea Tree Oil for Abscessed Tooth
Tea tree oil has strong antiseptic and anti-bacterial properties and this is a very well known fact. Such a powerful natural antibiotic can definitely fight off serious infections like abscess tooth.
Ways to Use Tea Tree Oil for Abscessed Tooth’s
- Take a few drops of tea tree oil onto your tooth brush and brush with this many a times during the day.
- Add about 8-10 drops of tea tree oil to a cup of warm water and swish it around your mouth. Do this 3-4 times a day.
- Dilute 3-4 drops of tea tree oil in 1 tsp of any carrier oil like olive or coconut oil and apply this to your affected tooth. Repeat 2-4 times a day.
16. Turmeric for Abscessed Tooth Pain
Turmeric is now known for its healing ability, thanks to its component curcumin. It can relieve abscess pain as well as reduce the inflammation caused by the infected tooth. Many research have shown that turmeric has strong anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, and antioxidant properties. You can use this humble herb spice for treating pain and swelling of your abscess.
Ways to Use Turmeric for Abscessed Tooth
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric with some water to get a paste like consistency. Clean your mouth and apply this paste to the tooth abscess.
- You pay also place some of this turmeric paste on a cotton ball and hold it against the infected tooth.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric with 1 tsp of salt to a glass of warm water. Rinse your mouth with this swishing it around your mouth.
- Add 1/4 tsp of turmeric to 1-2 tablespoons of coconut or olive oil. Mix well and use this oil for pulling. Oil pulling technique has been discussed earlier in this article.
- You may even add turmeric with oil and use it as toothpaste to brush your teeth.
Prevent Abscessed Tooth
Once you are able to combat the infection of your tooth with these home remedies for abscessed tooth or the treatment given by your dentist, take good care of your teeth so that you don’t get abscess in future. To prevent abscessed tooth, here are some tips for you:
- Brush your teeth twice a day and if possible after every meal.
- Clean between your teeth on a daily basis. For this, you may use a dental floss.
- Change your toothbrush every 3-4 months. If you notice the bristles of your toothbrush frayed, change then only and don’t wait for three months to go.
- Eat healthy food and avoid junk food. Take less sugar and sweet items, especially between meals or as snacks.
- See your dentist regularly.
The key is to prevent tooth decay if you don’t want to get abscessed tooth!
Sydney Young says
The clove oil really works!
Rapid Home Remedies says
Yeah…it is the best remedy for oral health