Getting rid of dandruff sometimes is as easy as washing your scalp with something already available at home. Thanks to the many home remedies for dandruff that you can follow and get rid of dandruff easily! So, if you see those white flakes all over your scalp, get ready to cure dandruff with some really fast home remedies. If you, however, are bothered about first knowing what’s causing your dandruff and then treating it accordingly, Let’s move on to know the causes of dandruff.
Causes of Dandruff
There can be many causes of dandruff, ranging from inflammatory skin conditions and sensitivity to hair products to dry skin and even oily skin.
If you are a person who suffers from dry skin, it is most likely that you will also face the problem of dandruff. If you have noticed, when your skin at any place of your body gets extremely dry and itchy, it becomes white and gives out micro white dry particles on itching. The same is the matter with your scalp. If the cause of your dandruff is dry skin, you will see small dry flakes falling off your hair. Like in other many other cases of dandruff, these flakes are not oily. They are dry.
Irritated Oily Skin
If you thought dandruff is caused only by dry skin, stop for a moment and read this- even oily skin, the irritated oily skin medically know as seborrheic dermatitis is also one of the major causes of dandruff. If you get dandruff due to this reason, it will not be dry and flay. It would rather be typical red and oily skin having white or yellow flakes. Because this type of dandruff is caused due to oily skin, it is not only present on scalp but in other areas too, the areas that have more glands that secret oil. So, along with scalp, you may see dandruff at such places as eyebrows, breastbone, back of the ears, beside nose, in the groin area and armpits too, anywhere, where there are skin folds.
And what triggers seborrheic dermatitis. Stress, fatigue, illness, lack of sleep, cold weather and cold air, all can lead to seborrheic dermatitis.
Certain skin diseases like eczema and psoriasis too make a person more prone to have dandruff. A condition called scalp psoriasis can give rise to red patches anywhere on the scalp making the scalp extremely dry. If not controlled, it can lead to itching, bleeding, burning sensation as well as temporary hair loss. You can easily recognize scalp psoriasis which is different from common dandruff. It has silvery white sheen with dry flaky scales on your scalp.
There are some people who are extremely sensitive to yeast and such people are more likely to get dandruff. In fact, there is this yeast called Malassezia which is present on everyone’s scalp. In some people though, it causes irritation on scalp and also leads to extra growth of skin cells that die on faster rate. When these dead cells fall off the scalp, they are taken to be dandruff. In all the other people, Malassezia doesn’t cause any problem.
Lack of Regular Hair Washing
When hair and scalp or not cleaned regularly, the oils there and the dead skin cells build up on scalp. This leads to dandruff. The only solution lies in keeping hair and scalp clean by regularly shampooing them.
Improper Brushing of Hair
Improper here means not combing your hair for as many times as would be required to clean off the scalp. When you comb or brush your hair, you are helping slough off the dead skin cells from the scalp. You also clear your scalp’s pores by releasing all the dirt and grime that may give rise to various problems including dandruff.
All these causes of dandruff put forth certain ways to get rid of these flaky scales. One, keep your hair clean with regular shampooing and brushing. Two, look for any skin disease that might be causing your dandruff. If there’s any, consult your doctor to treat the skin disease that will itself remove dandruff from your scalp. Third, use natural remedies for dandruff that are caused by such common problems like dry or oily skin. Here, in the next section, we give you some of the best remedies for dandruff.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dandruff Fast
When we say best remedies for dandruff, you can take it as those remedies that can make you get rid of dandruff fast.
Tea Tree Oil for Dandruff
Tea tree oil obtained from Australian Tea Tree has various beneficial properties that can make you get rid of dandruff. Let’s see, how this oil works.
- Tea tree oil has anti-fungal properties to combat fungi, yeast and other microbes that might lead to excessive production of skin cells that eventually fall of as dandruff.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil relieve itchy scalp which is a major symptom of dandruff.
- If your dandruff is due to itchy oily scalp (see the causes of dandruff above), tea tree oil will help unclog the hair follicles that might have been blocked by excessive sebum (oil) production. This helps get rid of any fungal or even bacterial infection.
Here are some ways you can use tea tree oil for dandruff cure.
1st way to use tea tree oil for dandruff: With carrier oil
As you should not use tea tree oil undiluted due to its very strong character, it is better to dilute it with some carrier oil, the one which is also good for skin and scalp.
- Tea tree oil- 8-10 drops
- Carrier oil (jojoba/coconut/olive- take any one)- 1/2 cup
- Bottle to store
- Add the tea tree oil to the carrier oil of your choice and mix well.
- Take some of it and apply to your dandruff ridden scalp.
- Massage gently for some time.
- You may initially feel a little itchy or a slight burning sensation that will subside in a few moment.
- Leave the oil on your scalp overnight.
- In the morning, wash off with a shampoo.
2nd way to use tea tree oil for dandruff: rinse hair with tea tree oil
- Tea tree oil- 5-10 drops
- Water- as per requirement to wash hair after shampooing
- Shampoo hair with your regular shampoo.
- Now wash your hair with water (do not use the one with tea tree oil at this instance)
- Make sure, your hair is completely clean of any shampoo residue.
- Now rinse your hair once more with the water mixed with tea tree oil.
3rd way to use tea tree oil for dandruff: for very dry hair
If your hair is too dry, using tea tree oil in the above mentioned ways may make it more dry. To use tea tree oil for curing dandruff of very dry hair, do the following.
- Tea tree oil- 2-4 drops
- Shampoo- the regular one that you use
- Conditioner- again, your regular conditioner.
- You have to mix the drops of tea tree oil into your shampoo or conditioner.
- So, take out the required amount of shampoo (or conditioner, if you intend to mix the oil in it) in a small bowl.
- Add the tea tree oil to this and mix well.
- Now wash your hair as usual. It is as simple as that.
- If you do not want to take even this much of pain, buy a shampoo or conditioner that has tea tree oil as one of its ingredients!
Coconut Oil for Dandruff
Coconut oil has been one of the traditional remedies for dandruff. And why dandruff only, this oil is actually a remedy for all hair problems. It repairs your dry and damaged hair from inside out leaving it shinier and healthier than ever. There are many reasons why coconut oil is so good a natural remedy for dandruff and other hair problems. First of all, it penetrates deep into your hair shaft and cuticle, thanks to its suitable molecular structure! This means your hair gets nourishment from inside its core. Secondly, coconut oil has such fats and nutrients as lauric acid, capric acid, and vitamin E. All these make your hair strong and shiny as well as provide it with excellent moisture which is needed to combat extreme dryness that sometimes lead to dandruff. And lastly, coconut oil also has anti-fungal properties that cure any fungal or yeast related issues that might be causing your dandruff! All these reasons seem enough to convince you that coconut oil is actually one of the best remedies for dandruff! So, how to use it? Here’s the method to use coconut oil for dandruff!
- Coconut oil- enough to cover your length of hair
- Take the coconut oil. It might be in a solid state if the weather of your place is cold enough. If so, you may either place it in sun for sometime or heat it up a little to melt it down. However, you should also know that your body heat is enough to melt coconut oil. So, as soon as you take it in your palms and rub a little, it will melt away right there!
- Now apply this oil to your scalp using your fingers (and palms wherever necessary).
- Massage your scalp gently for few minutes that may last from 5- 15 and even 20 minutes. This ensures deep penetration of coconut oil into your scalp.
- You may also apply the oil to your hair till its end. While application of the oil on scalp is needed for dandruff cure, the oil applied down the length of your hair will condition your hair amazingly.
- After you have applied and massaged the coconut oil into your scalp and hair, leave it there for at least half an hour. The longer you leave it, the more beneficial it is for your hair and scalp. So, you may even think of leaving it into your scalp overnight.
- If you don’t want to leave the oil for longer into your hair, try to apply the hot towel treatment. For this, soak a towel in hot water and wring it to drain off the excess water. After applying coconut oil into your scalp and hair, wrap this hot towel around your head so that all your hair gets into it to get steamed. Remove the towel once it cools down.
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo.
- If you suffer from extreme dandruff, use this coconut oil remedy for dandruff 2-3 times a week otherwise once a week is enough. You may continue to do so once a week even after you get rid of dandruff. This will prevent dandruff from coming back.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff
One more very effective remedy for dandruff is the apple cider vinegar or ACV, the one which is organic and has mother in it. Mother in vinegar is the cobweb-like thing which also gives the vinegar a slightly congealed look. Why to use apple cider vinegar for dandruff? There are again many reasons for this. First, ACV has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Thus it fights off and kills all the microbes out there in your scalp that may be causing dandruff. Secondly, it helps maintain the right pH levels of your scalp and makes it impossible for any fungus or bacteria to thrive there. Further, ACV also helps open up the clogged pores of your scalp’s skin. This in turn treats the dandruff caused by overproduction of sebum and itchiness.
Here are some ways to use apple cider vinegar for dandruff treatment.
1st way to use apple cider vinegar: Rinsing hair with ACV
- Apple cider vinegar- 1/4 – 1/2 cup
- water- 1- 1.5 liter
- Add ACV to the water and mix well.
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo and clean water.
- Now rinse your hair once again with the ACV mixed water.
- Do this regularly to get rid of dandruff. This will also condition your hair excellently and give a healthier shine.
2nd way to use apple cider vinegar: Massage scalp with diluted ACV
- Apple cider vinegar- 1 part
- Water- 1 part
- Take equal parts of ACV and water.
- Mix them well.
- Now massage your scalp and hair with this solution.
- Leave it there for 20-30 minutes.
- Then wash off your hair with clean water.
- If you have severe problem of dandruff, repeat this daily for about a week and then do it once a week.
3rd way to use apple cider vinegar: Using ACV with essential oils
- Apple cider vinegar- 2 parts
- Lukewarm water- 1 part
- Essential oils (Lavender, Melaleuca, Rosemary, Thyme, Cypress, Wintergreen, Helichrysum)- take any one or a blend of multiple oils- few drops as per the quantity of ACV-water solution
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo and water.
- Mix ACV and lukewarm water.
- Add your choice of essential oil or oil blend (few drops) to the ACV-water solution.
- Rinse your hair with this oil mixed ACV-water solution.
- Let it stay on your scalp for few minutes. You may even massage your scalp gently while you wait for such time.
- Wash off with clean water.
- Repeat once a week to get rid of dandruff and also to prevent dandruff from coming back.
Other Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff
- Take equal parts of ACV and water,mix and fill it in a spray bottle. Spritz your hair with this solution. Take care not to spray it into your eyes. Leave it for about half and hour and then wash your hair.
- Take undiluted ACV and a cotton ball. With the help of cotton ball, apply apple cider vinegar to your scalp. Do not apply this undiluted vinegar to your hair.
Apply Yogurt to Get Rid of Dandruff
We all know how plain yogurt is loaded with beneficial bacteria, not only for our stomach but also for our skin and scalp too! The natural anti-bacterial properties of yogurt help cure dandruff effectively. There are many more components of yogurt like Vitamin B5 and the proteins in it that provide ample nourishment to your hair and scalp. These components actually help in restructuring your hair to get it healthier texture and look. The moisturizing properties of yogurt too help treat dandruff. As soon as you apply yogurt to your scalp, you feel that soothing coolness which takes irritation and itchiness away to relieve you from all the discomfort associated with dandruff.
- Plain yogurt- enough to cover your scalp and hair
- Shampoo- the one you use to wash your hair
- Lukewarm water- to rinse your hair
- Whip the yogurt to get a smooth paste like thing.
- Apply this yogurt to your scalp and all over your hair massaging gently with your fingers.
- Leave the yogurt there for about an hour or so.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Repeat this at least once a week.
Use Epsom Salt to Get Rid of Dandruff Fast
The granules of Epsom salt are just perfect as mild exfoliator. Yes, you need to slough off those dead skin cells, the flaky scales to get rid of dandruff and Epsom salt does just that. It makes all that extra oil and dead skin flakes drop off your scalp to help you get rid of dandruff. Here is how you can use Epsom salt to exfoliate your scalp skin.
- Epsom salt- 2-3 tbsp
- Massage your scalp gently using the salt for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now, using your regular shampoo, wash off your hair and scalp.
- Repeat this 1-2 times a week initially and then once in a week or fortnight to prevent forming of dandruff on your scalp.
Baking Soda for Dandruff Cure
Baking soda, one of the widely used remedies almost for everything, also comes to your rescue when it’s about dandruff. There are reasons why baking soda is an effective remedy for dandruff. First of all, just like Epsom salt, baking soda too is a natural exfoliator. It will mildly exfoliate your scalp skin and help you get rid of all those dead skin cells there. It also helps maintain the pH level of your scalp’s skin so that fungus, bacteria and other microbes may not survive there.
- Baking soda- 1 tbsp
- Lukewarm water- 1/2 -1 cup
- Add baking soda to the warm water.
- Mix well and use it as a shampoo.
- Apply this to your scalp and leave for sometime before washing it off with water.
- If you feel, baking soda is making your hair too dry as well as it makes you uncomfortable when you don’t use a shampoo, you can simply mix about a teaspoon of baking soda to a very mild shampoo and wash your hair with this.
Lemon Juice for Dandruff
The acidic lemon has this citric acid which works to combat dandruff. In fact, it has anti-fungal effects and kills off the fungus that might be the cause behind your dandruff. Here are some ways you can adopt to use lemon juice to get rid of dandruff.
Ways to Use Lemon for dandruff
All of the below remedies using lemon to get rid of dandruff has the similar final step and that is giving a final rinse with lemon water. This lemon water has to be made by mixing 3-4 tbsp of fresh lemon juice with a cup of water.
- Take about 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice and massage your scalp with this. Leave it for a minute or two on the scalp and then wash off your hair.
- Instead of squeezing out the lemon juice, you can rub lemon slices directly on your scalp, leave for few minutes and wash off.
- Mix lemon juice with coconut oil and massage your scalp with this. Leave it there for about 15-20 minutes and then wash off.
- Mix about 2 tbsp of lemon juice to 4tbsp of apple cider vinegar. With the help of a cotton ball, apply this to your scalp. Leave it for sometime before washing off.
- Take equal amounts of fenugreek seeds powder and lemon juice. Mix well and apply this to your scalp. Leave for about 15-20 minutes and then wash off.
Use Cedarwood Oil for Dandruff
The aromatic cedarwood oil has many components that are useful in treating dandruff. The most beneficial properties of cedarwood oil regarding dandruff can be listed as anti-septic, anti-seborrheic and its astringent properties. All these properties not only help get rid of dandruff but also relive itching associated with the condition. When used with other essential oils that are also good in treating dandruff, it works wonder for your itchy scalp.
- Cedarwood oil- 5 drops
- Cyprus oil (optional)- 5 drops
- Rosemary oil (optional)- 5 drops
- Grapeseed oil- 4 tsp
- Lemon juice- 1/4 cup
- Combine all the oils and mix it with lemon juice.
- Massage your scalp with this.
- Leave it for about 2 hours.
- Now wash off your scalp and hair.
Rosemary Oil for Dandruff
Rosemary oil has excellent anti-fungal properties. So, when you apply this aromatic oil to your dandruff ridden itchy scalp, you are taking an important step to kill off the yeast causing your dandruff. Not only this, it also soothes your itching scalp in a very significant way. You can easily use this oil with aloe vera to get rid of dandruff. Aloe vera is this one miraculous gift of nature that also protects hair from getting damaged. It is particularly good for dry fizzy hair.
- Aloe vera juice- 1/2 cup
- Rosemary oil- 4-5 drops
- Tea tree oil- 3-4 drops
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Apply this to your scalp and hair.
- Leave for about 15 minutes.
- Then wash off your hair with your regular shampoo.
Egg Oil for Dandruff
This might sound unusual but egg oil can help get you rid of dandruff. Now, what is this egg oil? Egg oil or Eyova can also be called egg yolk oil because it is obtained from the yolk of chicken eggs. It consists mainly of triglycerides and traces of cholesterol and phospholipids. Many studies have found out that cholesterol is necessary for healthy skin and hair. Cholesterol helps egg oil effectively to be absorbed into the epidermis and carry on repair work. Yunani or Greek medicine has been traditionally using this egg oil for intense hair and skin care. This oil extracted from egg yolk also contains poly-saturated fatty acids such as Omega 3 and Omega 6. These fats maintain normal growth of skin cells including scalp skin cells. This might be the reason why egg oil is useful in treating dandruff.
How to Make and Use Egg Oil for Dandruff
- Chicken eggs- 6-7
- Glass jar with lid
- Hard boil the eggs.
- When they cool down, cut them in halves and separate the yolks from egg white. Use the egg whites in whatever way you want to. You need only the egg yolks for making this oil.
- Take a shallow frying pan and place the egg yolks in it after mashing.
- Keep on mashing the egg yolk in the frying pan while it heats up. You need a fine mashed up egg yolk.
- Lower the flame and let it simmer. Stir it frequently in between.
- Let the thing simmer for the time till it smells and smoke starts coming out of it.
- Keep on stirring and heating it until it becomes black and you see some oil leaving its sides. Smell will obviously not good at all but that’s how egg oil is extracted.
- When it becomes all black and you see no more oil coming out of it, put off the flame.
- Let it cool down to the room temperature.
- Now, strain the egg oil using a sieve or cheesecloth.
- Store it in a glass jar.
- It can stay good to use for up to a year and if you store it in refrigerator, it can stay good for longer.
- To use it for dandruff, take some egg oil and massage into your scalp. Do this for about 5-10 minutes.
- Leave it overnight.
- In the morning, wash your hair with shampoo.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week initially. Once you get rid of dandruff, you may use it once a week.
The process of making egg oil is definitely a little tiresome as you need to stir the already cooked egg yolk for longer but you will be amazed to see how it not only helps get rid of dandruff but also makes your hair shine like never before. If however, you do not like the idea of using egg on your scalp, there are other natural remedies for dandruff discussed up above here that you can use to get rid of dandruff forever!