Those little and sometimes big and some other times even cluster of sores inside your mouth can trouble you a lot while eating, drinking, and even talking. You just can’t take your mind off these sores commonly known as mouth ulcers. How can you with that pain and irritation inside your mouth due to these ulcers that look like white Grey pinheads with red halo. You can get these mouth ulcers due to a variety of reasons like stress and anxiety, nutritional deficiency especially of B vitamin, folic acid and zinc, certain medicines, food allergies, gastrointestinal tract diseases, infections such as thrush or herpes and even accidental bites or trauma from some sharp objects. Mouth ulcers should not be a cause of worry as they disappear within 3-10 days or at the most within a couple of weeks. If however, they do not go within 3 weeks, you should check up with your physician. To get relief from the pain and other discomforts brought by them, however, you may like to use some natural home remedies for mouth ulcers.
Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers Naturally
1. Coconut for Mouth Ulcers
Coconut has lots of nutrients in it, vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6, iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous to name a few. Coconut milk obtained from the white flesh of the fruit contains lauric acid, antimicrobial lipids and a capric acid having antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. Coconut oil too has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Coconut water is so nutritious that it is used for treating undernourishment! It contains sugars, protein, amino acids, vitamins and a host of minerals. This makes all the products made from coconut beneficial in curing mouth ulcers. Whether you frequently develop mouth ulcers due to deficiency of nutrients or get them as a result of infections, coconut is there to help you out.
How to Use Coconut Water, Milk, Oil for Mouth Ulcers?
- Coconut Milk: take some coconut milk in your mouth and gargle with it. You may wish it around your mouth for several seconds before swallowing or throwing it out. Repeat this 3-4 times a day.
- Coconut Oil: You may simply rub some coconut oil on your mouth ulcers. You may also use it like coconut milk. Take some oil in the mouth, swish around and swallow or throw away. Repeat 2-3 times a day.
- Coconut Water: Simply have a glass or two of coconut water obtained from green tender coconuts. They are delicious and soothing. Whatever vitamins or minerals you lack will be replenished by having coconut water. Drink 1-2 glasses of coconut water a day.
2. Baking Soda for Mouth Ulcers
Certain foods, especially acidic foods like citrus fruits, tomatoes, coffee and even chocolates can sometimes cause mouth ulcers. In such a case baking soda comes handy as it neutralizes acid well. It is alkaline and regulates our pH level that in turn may speed up the healing of your ulcers. Baking soda also has some anti-bacterial properties that may treat infections too.
Ways to Use Baking Soda for Mouth Ulcers
- Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda in half a cup of water. Take this solution in your mouth and swish it around there for about a minute. Spit it out. Repeat this 3-5 times a day.
- Make a paste with baking soda and water. Apply this paste to your mouth ulcers. Repeat 3-4 times a day.
3. Saltwater for Mouth Ulcers
Salt water has been used as a natural antiseptic for wound and sore management. Salt has natural anti-inflammatory and disinfectant properties too that make it a perfect remedy for mouth ulcers too. Some people directly apply salt on their ulcers. It stings a lot but ultimately numbs the area and relieves pain. However, it is better to use salt dissolved in water instead of using it directly to avoid extreme dryness that can be caused by it.
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Mix salt with water.
- Take some saltwater in your mouth and swish it around in there for about 20-30 seconds..
- Spit it out.
- Repeat till the water in the cup finishes.
- Do this 4-5 times a day.
4. Basil for Mouth Ulcers
Basil leaves have natural anti-inflammatory properties apart from having strong anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties. Ayurveda uses basil for treating a host of medical conditions including ulcers.
Ways to Use Basil Leaves for Mouth Ulcers
- Take 6-8 basil leaves, wash them properly and chew them slowly feeling their juice in your mouth and coating the same on your ulcers.
- Crush some basil leaves and make a paste. Apply this paste to your mouth ulcers.
5. Coriander for Mouth Ulcers
Coriander (Cilantro) leaves as well as seeds are a rich source of minerals and other nutrients including iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and magnesium along with antioxidants and dietary fiber. They contain many vitamins including Vitamin C, K and B-complex vitamins like thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin. If you remember, nutrients deficiency, especially deficiency of B vitamins is one of the major causes of mouth ulcers. While you can always include coriander in your diet, applying it directly to your ulcers also relieves you from discomfort.
Ways to Use Coriander for Mouth Ulcers
- Take some coriander leaves and boil it with a glass of water. Let it cool down and then gargle with this water. Repeat 3-4 times a day.
- Take a teaspoon of coriander seeds and boil it with a cup of water. Strain and allow this to cool down. Swish around this water in your mouth and spit it out. Repeat 3-4 times a day.
6. Licorice for Mouth Ulcers
Licorice herb has anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, demulcent, and soothing properties among many others. Its anti-inflammatory properties relieve pain and swelling caused by ulcers while demulcent agents form a soothing film like layer over the mucous membrane in your mouth which also relieves minor pain and inflammation of the membrane apart from soothing the wound.
- Licorice root herb or licorice powder- 1 tsp
- Water- 2 cups
- Soak the licorice root in the water for 3-4 hours
- If using licorice powder, you need not soak it. Just add it to warm water, mix well and let it cool down
- Rinse your mouth with this water 3-5 times a day.
7. Honey for Mouth Ulcers
Honey has natural and powerful antibacterial and antioxidant properties. When you apply honey to your mouth ulcers, you are helping retain moisture there in to prevent dehydration. This speeds up the healing process. Honey also promotes the growth of new tissue and prevents scar formation. You can simply apply honey to your ulcers with the help of your fingers or a cotton swab. You may also use turmeric, yet another anti-inflammatory ingredient with it. Here’s how you can do this.
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Turmeric- ¼ – ½ tsp
- Mix honey and turmeric well to make a paste.
- Apply this paste to your mouth ulcer affected area.
- Repeat this 3-4 times a day.
8. Raw Onion for Mouth Ulcers
Onions have natural anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and antiviral properties. They are high on sulfur compounds giving them powerful detox qualities that can help body release toxins and heavy metals like lead, arsenic and cadmium. However, the most important component of onion for mouth ulcers seem to be quercitin, a strong antioxidant flavonoid which along with doing other tasks for health can fight off infections too. White onions have better medicinal properties than red ones. Include them in your salad platter without fail! Here’s how you can use them for your mouth ulcers.
- Onion, preferably white one- 1
- Cut the onion in slices
- Take a slice at a time and chew it, releasing its juice.
- Try to coat your ulcers with the juice of onion in your mouth.
- This will sure give you bad breath. However, you can rinse your mouth with coriander seeds water or chew a few coriander or basil leaves after some time to ward off the foul smell. This will also ensure that your ulcers heal quickly as these two are also great remedies for mouth ulcers as discussed earlier.
- If you cannot stand the smell of onion when chewing, grind it to take out its juice.
- With the help of cotton, apply this juice to your ulcers.
9. Milk of Magnesia for Mouth Ulcers
Comprised of a naturally occurring mineral, milk of magnesia is used as an antacid and to relieve constipation. It is a liquid suspension of magnesium hydroxide. It can effectively heal mouth ulcers, especially canker sores. It helps reduce pain and speeds up the healing process.
- Milk of Magnesia
- Cotton swab
- Take some milk of magnesia in the cotton swab.
- Dab it on your mouth ulcers.
- Repeat 3-4 times a day.
10. Alum for Mouth Ulcers
Alum is a type of salt that had been traditionally used for culinary purposes, particularly for pickling. It has many medicinal properties too. It is an astringent capable of shrinking tissues and stops bleeding. It has also been used as an adjuvant in order to increase the efficacy of vaccines. Alum also has some anti-bacterial properties and thus can treat infections. Traditionally, many people had been using alum for treating canker sores. You can, however, use it for any kind of mouth ulcer.
Ways to Use Alum for Mouth Ulcers
- You can get alum crystals which is a solid form of alum and put a little piece of it in water. The alum will get dissolved in the water. Now you can rinse your mouth with this water.
- You may also get alum in powdered form or crush the alum crystal to get its powder. Now wet a cotton swab and dip it in this alum powder. Hold this cotton swab against your mouth ulcer for a minute or so. Your mouth will become watery and this may sting too. After a minute, remove the cotton and spit out. Wash your mouth with water as alum may sometimes make you feel like vomiting. As such, you should not use too much alum or keep it for very long in your mouth.
This is a very effective remedy for mouth ulcers as you will experience that your ulcers start shrinking in a day or a two and disappear soon after that.
11. Slippery Elm for Mouth Ulcers
The inner bark of slippery elm tree is extensively used for medicinal purposes. It is a very soothing herb. The mucilage or the gum like substance that comes out of the slippery elm bark when in contact with water may be the reason for this soothing effect. This bark has many nutrients within it that include tannin, calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, zinc, beta-carotene and vitamins B1, B2, B3 and C among others. These nutrients make it a very good remedy for mouth ulcers.
- Slippery elm powder- ½- 1 tsp
- Water- enough to make a paste
- Take slippery elm powder and mix it with water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste to your mouth ulcers.
- Repeat 3-4 times a day.
12. Tincture of Propolis for Mouth Ulcers
Now, this is a rather unusual remedy for mouth ulcers but you will be surprised to know that this tincture of propolis is even used for cancer patients to treat their mouth ulcers that follow chemotherapy! What is this propolis? It is the binding agent of honeybee hives made up of components of resin that the honey bees collect from flowers and other plant sources. They mix it with enzymes secreted by them. This is meant to protect their honeycomb against viruses, fungi and bacteria. Thus, it is a powerful antiseptic, antiviral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agent. Isn’t that interesting! This propolis is treated with alcohol to make its tincture which has been used for treating various conditions including respiratory tract infections, sinusitis, cough, cold, bronchitis etc. It is topically applied to cure wounds, eczema, burns, warts, gingivitis, athlete’s foot and not to forget mouth ulcers.
How to Use Propolis Tincture for Mouth Ulcers
- Propolis tincture- 2-3 drops
- Cotton swab
- Honey (optional)- ½ tsp
- Pour 2-3 drops of propolis tincture on the cotton bud.
- Dab it on your mouth ulcer directly.
- It may give you a burning sensation for a few seconds and may taste unpleasant.
- To avoid these uncomfortable conditions, you may mix the tincture with some honey.
- Honey counters the burning sensation and also makes it palatable. Honey, in fact, itself is a remedy for mouth ulcers as we have discussed earlier.
- Repeat the process 4-5 times a day
Precaution: If you are allergic to bee sting, you may be allergic to propolis tincture too. Avoid using this remedy in such situation.
13. Goldenseal for Mouth Ulcers
Native American had used goldenseal herb for various medical conditions including mouth ulcers. Many modern researches too have confirmed that goldenseal herb can inhibit a variety of microorganisms. One of the components of goldenseal, berberine, an alkaloid, has been found to be effective in treating inflammations. You can use powdered goldenseal or liquid extract of this herb to get rid of mouth ulcers.
Ways to Use Goldenseal for Mouth Ulcers
- Prepare a goldenseal mouth rinse. Take a cup of warm water. Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of goldenseal powder to this water. Rinse your mouth with this water slushing around the solution in your mouth.
- You may also apply goldenseal powder directly to your mouth ulcers.
- If using a liquid extract of goldenseal, pour a few drops of it onto a cotton swab and dab it on your mouth ulcers.
This remedy can cure your mouth ulcers within 2 days. Longer usage of goldenseal is not recommended anyway. Do not use this herb more than 3-4 days in continuation.
Precaution: Infants, young children and pregnant women should not use goldenseal herb.
14. Myrrh for Mouth Ulcers
Myrrh is an oleo-gum-resin which means it is a combination of oil, gum and resin. It is, in fact, a sap like substance found in the bark of myrrh tree. It has powerful anti-septic and astringent properties due to the organic and phenolic compounds found in it. It has been traditionally used for treating hemorrhoids, bed sores, wounds and mouth ulcers. You can use myrrh oil as well as a tincture for mouth ulcers.
Ways to Use Myrrh for Mouth Ulcers
- You can use myrrh tincture directly on your ulcers. Just pour 2-3 drops of this tincture on a cotton swab and apply it to your ulcers.
- Using myrrh tincture, you can make a mouthwash too. Add 2-3 drops of tincture to half a cup of warm water and rinse your mouth with this solution.
- You may also use myrrh oil. Pour 1-2 drops of this oil on a cotton swab and apply this to your mouth ulcers. This may bring in burning sensation and numbness for some time.
- To avoid stinging and burning sensation, mix myrrh oil with peppermint oil or fennel oil and then apply to your mouth ulcers.
15. Aloe Vera for Mouth Ulcers
There is yet another soothing herbal remedy for mouth ulcers, aloe vera. This herb has become quite popular for many medical conditions due to its various benefits. It has anti-viral as well as anti-inflammatory properties which makes it a good remedy for mouth ulcers too. It not only reduces pain and inflammation caused by ulcers but also speeds up their healing process due to various nutrients it contains. Aloe vera has amino acids and B1, B2, B6 and C vitamins, deficiencies of which lead to mouth ulcers.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Mouth Ulcers?
- Aloe vera leaf or Pure aloe vera gel
- If using a leaf, cut it open and take out its gel.
- Apply this gel to your mouth ulcer.
- Pure aloe vera gel brought from an herbal store can be directly applied to the ulcers.
16. Black Tea Remedy for Mouth Ulcers
As simple an ingredient like black tea can also treat your mouth ulcers. Black tea has tannin which is a natural astringent. An astringent can be understood as a chemical compound that shrinks or constricts body tissues. Astringent medicines are extensively used to shrink mucous membranes or tissues to stop the discharge of blood serum or mucous secretions that accompany a sore throat, hemorrhage and ulcers. So why not use natural astringent of tannins found in black tea. It is cheap as well as an effective remedy for mouth ulcers.
- Black tea bag- 1
- Wet the tea bag using water.
- Hold the wet tea bag against your mouth ulcer.
- Gently press the tea bag to release its juice.
- If possible, let it stay there for about 20-30 minutes. It will not be difficult to hold the tea bag in your mouth.
17. Diet Remedies for Mouth Ulcers
If you are a frequent sufferer of mouth ulcers, it may mean that you also suffer from nutritional deficiencies. While supplements are always there to help you out such as vitamin B complex etc. you may bring some changes to your dietary habits too so that you may not only remove the deficiencies in your body but also boost your immunity. A weak immunity also leads to frequent mouth ulcers.
Tips for Diet to Lessen Mouth Ulcer Occurrence
- Have more foods with B vitamins such as whole grains like wheat, oats barley etc. and vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, radish, lettuce etc. Although nuts like almonds and walnuts are also rich in B vitamins, they may hurt your ulcers so have them only after your mouth ulcers go away.
- Increase food intake that has folic acid in them such as bananas, spinach, avocados, melons, lentils, chicken, liver, beef etc.
- Have foods rich in iron celery, corn, peas, cucumber, carrots etc.
Proper diet and natural remedies can go hand in hand to get you rid of mouth ulcers forever.