Who doesn’t want pearly white teeth? Yellow teeth are a real embarrassment, a dent in the otherwise confident personality. Whether you have lost the whiteness of your teeth due to excessive consumption of tea and coffee, smoking or having tobacco or due to aging, it is always possible to bring back their whiteness. However, you should also remember one thing that the outer layer of our teeth enamel keeps on wearing away exposing the underlying yellower layer called dentin. Once, you have converted your yellow teeth into white ones, you should take utmost care to not to get them yellow again. Whitening the teeth again and again may lead them to become translucent or even blue. So preserve your teeth so that you may smile with confidence at every time! Here are some proven and very effective home remedies to whiten your yellow teeth. Take help of these remedies and then do take good care of them so that you do not need to opt for the remedies again.
1. Use basil in various ways and say good bye to yellow teeth
Basil herb is generally good for your overall health. What’s interesting is that they are also good for having healthy white teeth. Using basil for oral care not only gives your yellow teeth the much needed sparkling but also protect them against many dental problems like pyorrhea or the bleeding of gums. There are many ways in which Ayurveda suggests using basil leaves for your yellow teeth. Here are some of them.
Ways to use basil for yellow teeth
Homemade basil tooth powder
Take fresh basil leaves and leave them in shade to dry them out. Once the basil leaves get fully dried, grind them to get a powder out of them. Use this powder to brush your teeth. You can use your fingers to rub your teeth with this basil powder or can even mix the powder with your regular tooth paste and use it that way.
Basil- orange peel mask for teeth
You will need:
- Fresh basil leaves- 7-8
- Powder of dried orange peel- 2 tsp
- Take the fresh basil leaves and crush them to get their paste.
- Add the powder of orange peel with the crushed basil leaves and mix well.
- Apply this paste on your teeth.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
Basil- mustard oil tooth paste
You will need:
- Basil leaves- 8-10
- Mustard oil- ½ -1 tsp
- Crush the basil leaves to get its paste.
- Mix the basil paste with mustard oil well.
- Use this as your toothpaste to get white teeth.
2. Use certain tree twigs to whiten your teeth
This is an age old tradition still followed in some parts of India and its neighboring countries. Ayurveda speaks of certain trees that have certain astringent and other properties that can give you white teeth provided you use them regularly. The twigs of these trees are used for brushing the teeth. And how? You have to take a tender (not very soft and not too hard) twig of the tree from its branch. This should be of the length of a standard toothbrush. Wash this twig well with clean water. Now holding one end of the twig with your hands, put the other end of the twig in your mouth and chew it slowly. In a few minutes, the end of the twig that you are chewing will get scattered and the fibers would come out of it. If you take it out of your mouth, you will see that it looks like an artist’s brush, though a rough one. This is your natural tooth brush. Use this fibrous end of the twig to brush your teeth for at least 15-20 minutes. Now discard this twig and use a fresh one the next time. Now the big question is – what trees to look for to get these twigs? Here is the list of such trees.
- Babool tree (Acacia Arabica)- Babul tree is one of the most tooth friendly tree. Its extract is used in many herbal toothpastes also that are commercially available in the market. The tannin present in the twigs of babul tree is the component that will make your yellow teeth whiter.
- Banyan tree (Ficus religiosa)- The natural astringent present in the roots of banyan tree- the ones that hang in the air from above the tree’s top- make your teeth white like pearls.
- Neem or Margosa (Azadirachtha indica)- Not only astringent, neem tree twigs also have antiseptic properties that can treat bad breath and also cure dental caries and cavities along with making your teeth white.
3.Learn and do oil pulling to get pearly white teeth in bonus
Yes, it’s a perk- the white teeth- when you orally pull oil! Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic technique to achieve overall good health and for curing not one or two but a variety of illnesses including joint pain, arthritis, migraine, sinus infection, skin conditions including eczema and other allergies. And when it comes to improving, it can improve eyesight, mental clarity, hair growth, digestion and the thing you are looking for – whiteness of your teeth. Not only do you get bright teeth when you pull oil but also remove removing bacteria, plaque and gingivitis, all to get a healthy happy shining mouth! The oil that you use to swish your mouth with pulls bacteria, parasites and other toxins from your teeth and mucus membranes. So, how to do oil pulling? It’s simple, very simple to do.
How to do oil pulling?
You will need:
A spoonful of any oil (cold-pressed, organic oil). You may choose one from the following list:
- Sesame oil; or
- Coconut oil; or
- Olive oil.
You need to do oil pulling first thing in the morning just after you wake up and have not yet brushed your teeth or eaten something.
- Take the oil in your mouth.
- Swish your mouth with this oil. Do it with energy putting efforts.
- Pull the oil through the teeth.
- Pull it from one side to other.
- Keep on doing this for at least 15-20 minutes daily.
Initially, 15-20 minutes might look a little longer to you. However, once you start doing oil pulling and you cross a minute or two, you’ll no longer feel it to be as tedious as you thought it to be. In a couple of days, you will just become comfortable with the whole process. Within two week’s time, you’ll start feeling the health benefits that oil pulling will bring to you. And yes, your yellow teeth become white and its a “positive side effect” of oil pulling!
4. Use the popular baking soda remedy but with care
Baking soda has been used since ages to whiten yellow teeth. And this is effective, very effective! But you should also know the drawback of using baking soda on your teeth. Baking soda’s abrasive nature can wear down the enamel of your teeth. But this abrasiveness of baking soda is helpful in removing the topical stains as well as plaque of your teeth. If you use lemon juice with baking soda, this further wears down your teeth as the citric acid in lemon juice unlocks some of the calcium present in the enamel thus whitening your teeth to some more extent. While baking soda can instantly whiten your teeth, its long term use can be detrimental to the protective enamel of your teeth. If you, however, decide to use baking soda as the remedy for your yellow teeth, make a paste using baking soda, lemon and salt mixture
You will need:
- Baking soda- a pinch
- Salt- a pinch
- Lemon juice- few drops
- Mix baking soda, salt and lemon juice to get a paste like consistency.
- Brush your teeth with this mixture.
- You may then brush your teeth again with your regular toothpaste, just to correct the taste of your mouth.
Use this remedy for only once or twice a week, preferably when you initiate the process of whitening your yellow teeth. It’s not recommended to use this remedy for more than a couple of weeks when you use it for one or two days in a week.
5. Vitamin C loaded fruits and veggies can give you white teeth
Citrus fruits as well as those having loads of vitamin C in them can also help you get rid of your yellow teeth. They have bleaching effect on your teeth. So, use strawberries, tomatoes, amla (gooseberry), orange and the most effective lemon to bleach your teeth and get that sparkling whiteness. Mash them, rub them, take out their juice, whatever you do, just get them in contact with your yellow teeth.
- Cut a strawberry in two pieces. Take a half of it and sprinkle a little baking soda on to it. Rub your teeth with this. You may avoid using baking soda and rub with plain strawberry instead. The malic acid in strawberry with its astringent properties will give your pearly teeth.
- Mash the strawberries and squeeze to take out the juice. Apply t his juice on your teeth and wash after a minute or two. You may also use the pulp to this effect. Always brush your teeth with your regular paste after using strawberries on them.
- Before going to sleep at night, take an orange peel and rub this on your teeth.
- Take a lemon peel and rub it on your teeth not for more than ½ to 1 minute. Wash with water.
- Take a tsp of lemon juice and mix it with 1 tsp of water. Brush teeth with it. Wash with water and then brush with your regular toothpaste. Never use lemon juice undiluted. Always dilute it with water before applying it to your teeth. It high acid content of lemon can seriously damage your toot enamel and the calcium in it. Don’t use lemon more than twice a week if you want to keep your enamel too with the whiteness of your teeth.
And the super tip- don’t forget the daily regime of your teeth cleaning to keep them stay sparkling white!