It’s true that skin tags are generally harmless but it is equally true that they cause great discomfort when at awkward places on your skin! More so when they are big enough. Medically known as Acrochorda, these skin tags grow on your skin folds at places like a neck, armpit or groin area and even on your eyelids. So, why not use some home remedies to remove these skin tags? Of course, I will tell you some easy and fast home remedies for skin tags but before you touch your skin tags, get them checked by your doctor to rule out any possibility of something serious. If they are established as skin tags by your physician, you may then take help of these natural remedies to get rid of them.
Home Remedies for Skin Tags
1. Use Oregano Oil to Remove Skin Tags
Oregano essential oil has very strong antibacterial properties due to its phenolic terpenoids components like carvacrol, thymol and p-cymene. These components have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antimelanomic, anti-oxidative, antispasmodic, antiseptic properties. Oregano oil cures skin tags fast, within 2-4 weeks. However, in many cases, it takes about 2 months to treat skin tags. How does your skin tags react to oregano oil will be known only when you use it!
• Oregano oil – 2-3 drops
• Coconut oil- 4-6 drops
• Mix oregano oil with the carrier oil which is coconut oil in your case.
• Apply this on your skin tags at least thrice a day.
• You may see your tags changing color on daily basis. They will get red, purple and gradually dark black before dropping off your skin.
• Do not apply oregano oil without diluting it in a carrier oil otherwise, you will get red skin marks all along the skin that surrounds your tag.
• Do not try to apply this home remedy on skin tags over your eyelid. Eyes are very sensitive organs. Consult your physician to get rid of any skin problem here.
2. Black Walnut Hull Homemade Tincture for Skin Tags
Black walnut hull has been recognized as a very effective herb for various skin diseases including warts, moles, acne, impetigo, athlete’s foot, ringworm, skin tags and even eczema. Many herbalists believe that Juglone, which is the primary natural ingredient present in black walnut hull makes your unwanted skin cells toxic to such a level that your body rejects the tissues. When targeting skin tags with this herb, they die and fall off. In fact, black walnut hull tincture is also administered internally to kill the intestinal parasites and worms. For skin diseases, this tincture is applied externally. You can make your own black walnut hull tincture at home. There are two types of this tincture- water based and alcohol based. If your skin is very sensitive or you can not bear the stinging sensations, you can make water-based tincture otherwise make the alcohol-based tincture which is more effective and works fast.
Make water-based black walnut hull tincture
• Black walnuts- 5-10 (take those which have green husk)
• Water- enough to immerse the husks
• A saucepan
• Plastic gloves
• Vitamin C powder (optional)- ¼ tsp (you can get it by crushing vitamin C capsules)
• Wear the gloves because black walnuts stain anything that comes in their contact.
• Remove the husks from the black walnuts.
• Now put the green husks in a saucepan and pour water on them, enough to cover them.
• Heat this till it boils.
• Now put off the flame and cover the saucepan with a tight lid.
• Let this stand for a day (24 hours)
• After 24 hours, strain and store in a bottle.
• If you want, you can add vitamin C powder to it which will work as a preservative. This vitamin is good for skin too.
Make alcohol based black walnut hull tincture
• Black walnuts- 5-10 (take those which have green husk)
• Grain alcohol- enough to immerse the husks
• Water- equal to the quantity of alcohol
• A jar with lid
• Plastic gloves
• Wear gloves to avoid any stains from black walnuts.
• Remove the husks from the nuts and put these green husks into the jar.
• Add grain alcohol, enough to cover the husk.
• Put the lid on the jar and let the solution stand for 2 days (48 hours).
• After 2 days, strain it and add an equal amount of water to it.
• Store in a bottle.
Apply your homemade black walnut hull tincture on your skin tags 2-3 times a day.
• If you are a pregnant woman, do not use this tincture without consulting your doctor.
3. Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags Removal
This is the easiest and even painless home remedy for skin tags. As per the ancient Chinese medicine, your skin tags indicate that there is dampness within your body. Due to its natural antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties, tea tree oil dries out any wart and even skin tags from inside out. So how to use tea tree oil to remove skin tags? Here’s the method.
• Tea tree oil – 3 drops
• Cotton ball
• Water – enough to soak the cotton ball
• Clean your skin tag
• Soak the cotton ball in the clean water.
• Take out the cotton ball and squeeze a little to just drain out the excessive water. Don’t squeeze too hard.
• Pour the drops of tea tree oil onto the wet cotton ball.
• Now rub your skin tag with this cotton. Massage gently.
• Do this thrice a day.
• Although wet cotton ball has a diluting effect on tea tree oil, if your skin is hypersensitive, you should dilute the oil with equal quantity of water and then apply this to your skin tags.
• Do not ingest tea tree oil. It can prove to be toxic and may lead to vomiting, diarrhea and drowsiness. If accidentally you ingest the oil and feel any adverse effect, consult your physician immediately.
4. Dandelion Stem Juice for Skin Tags
Dandelion is not only good for liver diseases but also for skin diseases including eczema, warts, moles and skin tags. You just have to extract the juice of dandelion stem and apply it on your skin tags to see them disappear in a few days.
• A flower or leaf of Dandelion with its stem
• Take the Dandelion leaf or flower and squeeze its stem.
• While doing this, you will see a milky liquid coming out of the stem.
• Apply this juice of dandelion stem on your skin tag. You don’t even need to touch it, just touch the stem with its juicy tip on your tag and that’s it. The juice will be transferred to the skin tag.
• Leave the dandelion juice on your tag to dry.
• Apply juice of dandelion stem at least 3-4 times a day. Your skin tag will gradually become dark black and then will fall off.
If you are allergic to ragweed or such other plants like daisies, chrysanthemums, marigolds etc., you may be allergic to dandelion too. If so, check with your physician before using dandelion on the skin.
5. Use Lemon Juice to Remove Skin Tags
The citric composition of lemon can be a boon when you try to get rid of skin tags. Citric acid helps in decomposing the cells of your skin tags. So, just grab a lemon, cut it and use its juice to cure skin lesions.
• Lemon juice- of half a lemon
• Cotton ball
• Dip the cotton ball in lemon juice
• Apply the juice on skin tags.
• Leave it for some time so that it dries out.
• Do it twice or thrice a day.
• You may see your tag coming off within 2-4 weeks.
• After applying lemon juice, do not step out in sun, this may give you a bad tan. If, however, you need to go out, wash off your skin properly to remove every trace of lime juice from it.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar for Skin Tag Removal
The acidic apple cider vinegar is one of the most popular as well as effective remedies for not only skin tags but also for warts, acne and moles. The vinegar totally destroys all the tissues in the skin tag.
• Apple cider vinegar- 2 tbsp
• Cotton ball
• Lukewarm water- enough to wash your skin after applying soap
• Wash off your skin with soap and lukewarm water
• Dry off the skin properly
• Soak the cotton ball in vinegar
• Squeeze it to remove the excessive vinegar.
• Apply the vinegar in soaked cotton on your skin tags.
• Do this at least thrice a day.
• As apple cider vinegar is acidic, you may feel a stinging sensation when you apply this to your skin. This itching, however, goes in a few seconds but if you cannot bear this, dilute your apple cider vinegar in some water and then apply. If that too doesn’t work, you might like to use the next home remedy which uses sour apple juice instead of vinegar!
Although you can buy sour apple juice from any medicines outlet, it is so easy to extract juice out of the simple apple, you don’t need to go anywhere for this remedy. In fact, you can simply rub apple slices on your tags and get rid of them.
• Apple juice- 2 tbsp if using cotton and 3-4 drops if using fingers!
• Cotton ball (optional)
• Soak the cotton ball in apple juice and apply on your skin tags.
• Alternatively, take the apple juice on your clean fingers and rub it on your skin tags.
• Do this 3-4 times a day till you get rid of skin tags which may take 2-4 weeks.
8. Cautious Use of Bloodroot Paste to Remove Skin Tags
Native to North America, bloodroot has been traditionally used for moles, warts and skin tags remedy. This herb is also used for treating skin cancer but the downside of bloodroot is that this herb eats away your healthy cells along with the cancerous cells too! So, if anytime you decide to use bloodroot as a remedy for your skin tags, you should be extra cautious. Use only for recommended days and time and don’t overuse the herb even if you don’t see any change in your skin tags. However, this is a rare chance as bloodroot excellently treats skin tags.
• Bloodroot powder
• Clean your skin with water and soap. Pat dry completely.
• Use some water to make a paste out of bloodroot powder.
• Apply this paste on your skin tag. Remember not to overuse the paste. Just a little amount on your tag only.
• Cover the skin tag with a bandage.
• Let it stand there for 2 hours.
• After two hours, remove the bandage and wash off the skin properly, removing every bit of the herb from the skin.
• Do this twice daily but only for 3 days.
• Your tag will first become pale and then fall off.
• Use bloodroot only as a last option for skin tags. There are so many other home remedies for skin tags. It is better to avoid it because there have been many cases of skin damage due to this herb’s usage. However, because it really removes skin tags and moles, it has been listed as a home remedy for skin tags by many herbalists.
• Use a bloodroot paste made only with water. Don’t ever use other caustic ingredients to make bloodroot paste.
9. Fig Stem Juice for Skin Tags
The tasty fruit Fig is not only a laxative but can also treat various skin infections by maintaining an acid-alkali balance of your body. But for skin tags, its stem is used as a remedy. It is actually one of the most effective remedies for skin tags.
• Take few fig stems.
• Blend them to get their juice.
• Apply this juice on your skin tags 3-4 times a day.
• The effect can be seen in about 2-4 weeks.
This remedy works well for moles too.
10. Pineapple Juice for Skin Tags
This is rather a delicious way to get rid of skin tags. Pineapple juice is not only tasty but in fact, removes your moles and warts too! Just get some fresh pineapples and make juice from them. Using a little for your tags, you can have the rest of it because you’ll need fresh pineapple juice every time to apply on your skin tags!
• Few pieces of pineapple
• Cotton ball
• Take the pieces of pineapple and blend them to get juice.
• With the help of cotton ball, apply this juice to your skin tags.
• Do this twice a day for few weeks.
11. Garlic Remedy for Skin Tags
Due to its superb antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial properties, garlic is one of the best remedies for skin tags too. You will need fresh garlic cloves for this.
• Garlic cloves- 3-4
• Crush the garlic cloves to get their paste.
• At night, before going to bed, apply this paste to your skin tags.
• Now use the bandage to cover the tag so that the paste sits there on the tag.
• In the morning, remove the bandage and wash off your skin.
• Do this for few days till your skin tag comes off.
12. Cauliflower Juice for Skin Tags
When it comes to remedies with vegetables, there are many that you can use to remove your skin tags. One such vegetables is cauliflower. It dries out the skin flap and makes your skin smooth. While you can always blend cauliflower with water to get its juice and apply on your skin tags, I am giving here a more effective recipe which uses other vegetables with cauliflower so that you can get rid of these ugly tags faster.
• Potato- 1
• Garlic cloves- 2
• Cauliflower pieces- few of them
• Cut the potato and blend all the three ingredients- potatoes, garlic and cauliflower- with some water to get their juice, a thick juice which feels like a paste.
• Apply a dab of this paste on your skin tags at night before you go to sleep.
• Wrap the area with a bandage to let it stay on place.
• Remove the thing in the morning and wash off.
• Do this every night for few days till your skin tags go away.
13. Castor Oil Remedies for Your Skin Tags
Castor oil was the favorite of our grandmothers and even mothers. They knew how beneficial Castor oil is for health and we equally hated to have it due to its awful taste! The only soothing thing about Castor oil as a remedy for skin tags is that you don’t have to take it internally but have to apply it externally on your skin growths. You can apply Castor oil alone or combine it with other ingredients to have a rapid effect. Here are some suggestions for you.
Ways to use Castor oil for skin tags
• This is the most simple way. Just rub the Castor oil on your skin tags for as many times a day as you can but not less than 5 times a day.
• Mix Castor oil with baking soda to get a thick paste. Now apply this paste on your skin lesions and wrap it with a bandage. Do this before you go to sleep at night. In the morning, wash it off with lukewarm water. You will need to do this only for about 10 days during which period your tags will fall off your skin.
• Mix Castor oil with a few drops of Lomatium herbal extract and apply this on your skin tags. Do this 2-3 times a day. Mixed with the herb, Castor oil will work faster and you will get rid of these tags sooner than you expect.
14. Onion Juice to Remove Skin Tags
While you cut onions for making the paste to remove your skin tags, you’ll have tears in your eyes just to prove that there are certain components in the onion that will help you in curing these little things on your body. However, you need to do some preparations before you can use onion juice at night.
• Onion- 1
• Salt- ¼ – ½ tsp
• Cut the onion and mix salt to it.
• Leave it overnight.
• In the morning, extract the juice of this salted onion but you don’t have to apply this now. Just keep it till night.
• At night, before going to bed, apply the prepared onion juice on your tags and wrap with a bandage.
• Don’t forget to cut another onion and mixing it with salt for the next night.
• In the morning, wash off.
• Do it for at least 10-12 days.
15. Don’t Trash Banana Peel, Use it for Skin Tags
And here is one environment-friendly remedy, the one which uses a waste material- the banana peel! Eat the healthy food and use its peel to remove your skin tag.
• Banana peel
• A bandage or first aid tape
• Cut a small piece of banana peel.
• Take it and place it on your tag- inside downwards. This means the yellow skin will remain upwards which you can see and the white inner portion of the peel with all that fibrous texture will go inside just upon the skin tag.
• Now wrap it with bandage firmly. You can also use first aid tape so that the peel doesn’t go anywhere while you sleep for the whole night.
• Repeat the process every night for a few days until your skin tag drops off.