There is something called hypothalamus in our brains which keeps our body temperature in control and therefore is also known as body’s thermostat. Generally normal temperature of body is considered to be 98.6 F (37 C) but because throughout the day our body temperatures vary, anywhere between 97 F (36.1 C) to 99 F (37.2 C) can be considered as normal body temperature. Sometimes, hypothalamus may change our normal body temperature towards higher side which we know as fever. This may be due to various reasons such as a viral or bacterial infection, heat stroke or even extreme sunburn, some other abnormal condition within the body, and immunizations etc. Generally fevers are not a cause of worry and they go away on their own within a couple of days. Fever is, in fact, our body’s mechanism to help fight off various infections. It is only when the body temperature becomes 103 (39.4 C) or higher and the fever doesn’t go away for more than three days that you should take measures to bring down your body temperature. This can initially be done with the help of home remedies for fever. If, however, home remedies doesn’t work and fever isn’t going away, you should consult your physician.
1. Use Cold Compress to Reduce Fever
Water is the miracle solution on this earth! It can also lower your fever. When you damp a cloth in cool or cold water and place the dampened cloth on the forehead, water works to bring down your body temperature.
- Take some water in a bowl. It can be at normal room temperature or a little colder.
- Take a clean cloth and soak this in the water.
- Wring out the excessive water to leave the cloth just wet or dampened.
- Place this wet cloth on the forehead. You may also place it on the nape of the neck.
- Within a few minutes, the cloth will get warmed up as it pulls out the heat from body.
- Take off the cloth and wet it again, place on forehead.
- Repeat until your fever has gone.
2. Give Sponge Bath to Lower Fever
Sponge bath is yet another way to reduce fever using water. It is especially beneficial for children as you do not use cold water here. A body sponge using lukewarm water is effective in bringing down fever as the temperature of water is below the temperature of body. Sponge given using cold or iced water may bring down temperature too quickly which is also not desirable.
- Take some lukewarm water in a big bowl or a basin.
- Dip a towel into this lukewarm water.
- Wring out the extra water to leave the towel warmly dampened.
- Now rub the body gently with this warm towel.
- Once the towel gets cold, soak it again in the warm water and get it dampened.
- Do this for about 15-20 minutes.
- Discontinue giving sponge bath if shivering occurs.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar to Reduce Fever
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has been a favorite of many for a host of medical conditions, thanks to its many properties. ACV can also be used in bringing down fever. The acid in it helps pull out the heat through skin. This brings down the body temperature to cure fever.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Fever?
Equal parts of:
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix equal parts of ACV and water.
- Soak a towel in the solution and wring out to make it just wet.
- Apply this towel to the feet. As our feet have many sweat glands as compared to rest of the body, it helps in effectively releasing the heat out of body.
- You may also apply the solution to other parts of body like forehead, stomach, armpits, arms, legs etc.
While the above method is perfect for children (though adults too can do this), grown up patients may also take a warm bath with 1 cup of apple cider vinegar mixed with warm bath water. You may also soak your feet by adding a cup of ACV to a foot bath.
4. Drink Plenty of Water and Fluids to Reduce Fever
When you have fever, you need to keep your body hydrated for various reasons. When you suffer from fever, increased temperature dehydrates your body and may lead to various other complications. These complications can be prevented by having a lots of water and other fluids to keep your body hydrated. Many of the remedies for fever like warm baths, sponge etc. focus on increasing sweating to cool down your body. This may lead to abnormal fluid loss from the body, especially if your fever is accompanied with vomiting and diarrhea. You also lose appetite when having fever and thus don’t get water from foods and need to compensate this with extra fluid intake. Keeping your body well hydrated also help you mitigate the effects of such fever symptoms as headache, muscle aches and general weakness. Staying adequately hydrated will ensure speedy recovery from fever.
Fluids to Drink for Fever
- Fruit Juices
- Soup (replace solid foods with soups)
- Rehydration Solution, especially for kids. To make rehydration solution at home, add 6 tsp of sugar and ½ tsp of salt to one liter of water. Have this water throughout the day.
Drinks to avoid during fever- Along with increasing fluid intake, stop having drinks that dehydrate your body. These include alcohol, colas and other carbonated beverages, coffee, and other drinks that lead to dehydration.
5. Lemon for Fever Remedy
Most of the fevers can be treated with lemon as it is a good detoxification agent. Fever, in the first place, is an attempt by the body to eliminate toxins. Lemon assists in faster elimination of toxins out of body. Lemon is also one of the best natural germicides and may kill such germs as induced by influenza. Lemon also contains antihistamines and may cure fevers due to some allergies.
How to Use Lemon for Fever?
While you can add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a glass of water and have this three times a day, here is even more effective remedy using lemon juice and honey.
- Lemon juice- ½ -1 tsp
- Honey- ½ – 1 tsp
- Warm water- 1 glass
- Add lemon juice and honey to the warm water.
- Mix well and have it.
- You may have this 2-3 times a day.
6. Raisins for Reducing Fever
Raisins are the delicious nutrients powerhouse that are beneficial from many aspects of health. These dried fruits are very effective for fever too due to the presence of phenolic phytonutrients in them. If your fever is due to any viral or bacterial infections, raisins can immensely help because these phytonutrients have excellent germicidal, antibiotic and antioxidant properties. Even if fever is not due to any virus or bacteria, raisins would do no harm. They will in fact, help you recover from weakness too.
Ways to Use Raisins for Fever
- Take 5 tbsp of raisins and soak them in half a cup of water for 2-3 hours. Grind the soaked raisins and add 1 tsp of lemon juice to this paste. Have it to get quick relief from fever.
- Make a raisin juice by boiling ¾ cups of chopped raisins in 8 cups of water. When the water comes to a boil, lower the flame. Simmer till the juice remains half of its original quantity. Let the juice cool down. Once cold, strain the juice and have it in 4-5 batches throughout the day.
- Take one tablespoon each of ginger and raisins. Crush them and soak them in a cup of water for about an hour. After an hour, boil the water with ginger and raisins in it. Drink this while it is still warm.
7. Ginger for Fever with Cold
If you have a flu induced fever and also suffer from cold and sore throat, ginger is the best remedy for you. Ginger is one of the best natural anti-viral herbs and can fight of viral fevers excellently.
Make Ginger Tea for Cold and Fever
- Ginger root- 1-2 inch piece
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Homey- 1-2 tsp
- Water- 1- ½ cup
- Crush the ginger and add it to water.
- Boil the water for 3-5 minutes.
- Strain and add honey and lemon juice to this.
- Drink this while its warm.
- Have 2-3 cups of such ginger tea in a day.
8. Basil to Reduce Fever
Basil leaves have been used since centuries for various medicinal purposes. Basil is an excellent herb with fine anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Basil leaves can be used to reduce fevers, especially those induced by infections.
Ways to Use Basil for Fever
- Take 8-10 basil leaves and crush them using mortar and pestle. Place the crushed leaves on a sieve and extract its juice. Add this basil extract juice with 1 tbsp of water and have it 3-4 times a day. This is especially a good way to use basil for children having fever.
- Take 1 tsp of basil and ¼ tsp of black pepper. Add them to a cup of hot water. Steep for 5-10 minutes. Add 1 tsp of honey and have this tea 2-3 times a day.
- Take a handful of basil leaves and 1 inch piece of ginger. Crush them using mortar and pestle. Place them on sieve and extract the juice. Take 1 tsp of this extract juice and mix with 1 tsp of honey. Have this 4-5 times a day.
9. Turmeric to Reduce Fever
Turmeric has natural anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medicine has used turmeric for various medical conditions including fever. Even modern studies have found turmeric to have reduced viral replication of cells infected by influenza virus. It also prevents infection from spreading to other cells. Curcumin, the chemical compound in turmeric, is also a strong antioxidant which fights off free radicals and strengthens immune system weakened by flu and fever.
- Turmeric- ½ tsp
- Warm Milk- 1 cup
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Add turmeric and honey to warm milk.
- Mix well and have it.
- Have this twice a day.
10. Egg White to Reduce Fever
This is an old wives remedy but has been effective in reducing fever. While there is no scientific evidence as to how egg whites applied on feet reduce fever,, it seems heat is absorbed and pulled out through the sweat glands on feet.
How to Use Egg White to Reduce Fever?
- Egg white- from 3-5 eggs
- A cloth
- Break the eggs and collect the egg whites in a bowl.
- Soak the cloth in the egg white.
- Place this egg white soaked cloth on to the feet of patient having fever.
- If fever is high, it will take only a couple of minutes for the egg white to warm up or get dried.
- Repeat after soaking the cloth again. You may also use different pieces of cloth for every cycle.
- Repeat till the fever subsides.
11. Hard Boiled Egg Remedy for Fever
This is a Chinese remedy using hard boiled egg instead of egg whites that had been used in the previous remedy for fever. Chinese medicine believes in naturally balancing the five elements in the body which include metal, wood, water, fire and earth. Any imbalance cause illness. In this remedy, the hard boiled eggs are used to rub on various body parts to eliminate any element which has excessively accumulated in the body. A silver coin is also used with boiled eggs to check whether the elements have come to occupy balance or not. However, you may not use a coin and just use eggs.
- Eggs- 3
- Salt- 2 tsp
- Handkerchief- 3
- Add the eggs and salt to water and boil them for 15 minutes.
- Let the eggs stay in the hot water so that they do not cool down.
- Remove the shell of an egg but do not run it under water as you need a hot egg. You may wear gloves to peel off the shell.
- Wrap the egg into a handkerchief.
- Now rub it firmly on your chest until it becomes cold.
- Now remove the shell of another egg and wrap it in handkerchief.
- Rub this on the back until it gets cold.
- Wrap the third egg and rub it on your hands and legs.
- Repeat this procedure twice a day.
12. Lemongrass Tea for Fever
The anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, and antioxidant lemongrass is widely used in Asia for its therapeutic properties. In fact, in Jamaica, it is known as Fever grass as it is traditionally used there to reduce fever apart from being used for other diseases. The anti-pyretic property of lemongrass is responsible for its effectiveness in reducing high fevers. Along with having lemongrass tea, its vapor is also inhaled which leads to increased perspiration and eventual elimination of fever.
Make Lemongrass Tea for Fever
- Lemongrass- handful of it
- Water- 2-4 cups
- Honey (optional)- 1 tsp
- Discard the outer sections of the lemon grass.
- Cut the lemon grass in small slices.
- Boil the water.
- Add lemon grass to this.
- Let it boil for about 5 minutes.
- Strain and add honey if using.
- Have this hot or warm
- Have 2-3 cups of lemongrass tea a day.
13. Oregano Tea for Fever
Oregano is one of the best natural antibiotics. It is a powerful herb that fights infections caused by bacteria, fungus, yeast, parasites and viruses. It is also a strong antihistamine meaning if your fever is due to some allergy, oregano can cure that too. You can have oregano in form of a soothing tea to reduce your fever and cold if any.
Make Oregano Tea for Fever
- Fresh oregano leaves- 1 – ½ tbsp
- Dried oregano- 1 tbsp
- Water- 2 cups
- Orange juice (optional)- 1 tsp
- If using fresh oregano leaves, finely chop them.
- Boil the water.
- Place the fresh or dried oregano, whatever you are using, in a pot.
- Pour boiling water over it.
- Let it steep for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain and add orange juice if using.
- Have a cup of lemongrass tea 2-3 times a day.
Precaution: If you are pregnant, avoid having oregano.
14. Garlic for Fever
Garlic, beyond doubts, has been accepted for its excellent antioxidant, antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties among many others. The compound allicin in garlic does all the wonders. It is a very good remedy for fever as it promotes sweating and helps eliminate toxins out of the body. You can use this very common herb for fever in one of the following ways.
Ways to Use Garlic for Fever
- Soak 1-2 cloves of garlic in a cup of water. Let it steep for about an hour. Have this water after discarding the garlic.
- Make a paste of garlic cloves. Add some olive or coconut oil to this garlic paste and apply on the feet. Wrap it with a gauze and leave overnight. While applying the garlic paste on feet, leave some gaps to let the heat release.
15. Herbal Tea for Fever
A herbal tea is very beneficial for alleviating fever. Many herbs are known to stimulate the body by speeding up blood circulation. When in fever and shivering, the herbal tea made with such stimulating herbs like ginger and garlic heat up the body and gives it much needed comfort. These and many other herbs also promote sweating which is known to reduce fever. When you drink herbal tea, you warm up your body and your pores open up leading to sweating. Then it cools down through perspiration. Ginger, yarrow root etc. are such herbs that promote sweating. Apart from stimulating body and promoting sweating, herbal tea also hydrates your body. As discussed earlier, during fever you run the risk of getting dehydrated and herbal tea is one fluid that you need to have to keep yourself hydrated.
What Herbal Teas to Use for Fever?
Here is a list of herbs that you can use to make herbal tea for reducing fever
- Elder flower
To make these herbal tea, steep the fresh or dried herb in hot water for 5-10 minutes. Add honey optionally and sip your herbal tea while it is warm.
16. Herbal Decoction for Fever
As discussed in the earlier remedy, herbs stimulate your body, promote sweating and hydrate when you take them in form of tea. There is one other way of having the goodness of herbs and alleviate the symptoms of fever. This is the way of making a herbal decoction. Decoction is made by boiling herbs. This is stronger than tea and can work fast to get you rid of fever. Here is one recipe for herbal decoction for your fever.
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Ginger- 1 inch piece
- Onion (medium)- 1
- lemon grass- few stalks
- Basil leaves- 5-6
- Black pepper- ½ tsp
- Water- 1- ½ cup
- Chop the ginger and onion in small pieces.
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add all the herbs to the boiling water.
- Let it boil for few minutes until the water remains half of its quantity.
- Strain and have this strong herbal decoction while it is warm.
- If it feels too strong to have, add 1 tsp of honey to this.
- Have this twice a day to reduce fever.