Loose motion is nothing but diarrhea. In diarrhea, the bowel movements or the stools are loose and watery and hence the name loose motions. Every person goes through this condition once in a while and unless it is a severe case of diarrhea, there is nothing to worry about only if you don’t get loose motions too frequently.
Causes of Loose Motions
The main cause of loose motions is stomach infection which is sometimes referred to as stomach flu or intestinal flu. There are many other causes for loose motions.
- Eating foods that affect digestive system negatively
- Allergies to foods
- Intestinal diseases like Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis
- Bacterial infection such as in case of food poisoning
- Mal-absorption or trouble in absorbing certain nutrients
Although generally loose motion is not a serious issue but it is certainly an uncomfortable condition, more due to the irritable symptoms of loose motions. What are these symptoms, after all?
Symptoms of Loose Motions
- Intense urge to have a bowel movement
- Loose stools, of course, the most prominent symptom that gives diarrhea this name
- Watery stool
- Bloating in the stomach
- Abdominal cramps
Apart from the above symptoms, there are certain serious symptoms of loose motions aka diarrhea
- Undigested food, blood or mucus in the stool
- Unexplained weight loss
If these symptoms are present along with loose motions, you should immediately consult doctor. Even if not, the general symptoms are enough to make you sick. If you frequently have loose motions and watery stools throughout the day, you may fall prey to dehydration. Therefore, it is essential to drink water and other fluids to compensate the loss of water from your body due to loose motions. And it is also essential to stop loose motions as soon as possible. Here are some remedies to stop loose motions for you.
Home Remedies for Loose Motions
Mild cases of loose motions do not require any treatments. If it is only 3-4 times a day that you need to pass watery stool, having enough fluids and water will cure your diarrhea. You just need to give some rest to your digestive system and yourself. Staying hydrated is, so far, the best remedy for loose motions. But if it’s not so and you cannot stop your trips to the washroom, try some of the remedies given below.
Mint Soothes your Stomach and Stops Loose Motions
Cool mint or peppermint leaves have calming and soothing effect on stomach. This herb can, in fact, soothe your upset stomach in no time. It also has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. Hence, it can stop loose motions caused by stomach infections too. If it is due to indigestion, mint will work to calm the muscles of your stomach and improve the flow of bile. This bile is used by your body to digest fats. With increased bile production, food passes through the stomach quickly. This will relieve you off loose motions and cramps, pains and other discomforts related to diarrhea.
Ways to have mint to stop loose motions
Make Lemon-Mint Water
- Mint leaves- 10-20 (enough to extract 1 tsp juice)
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 glass
- Crush the mint leaves to extract the juice.
- Take 1 tsp of mint juice and 1 tsp of lemon juice in a glass of water.
- Stir well and drink it
- Have this 3-4 times a day to stop loose motions.
Make Mint Tea
- Fresh mint leaves- 8-10 or Dried mint herb- 1 tsp
- Water- 1-2 cups
- Lemon juice (optional)- few drops
- Boil the water
- Add fresh mint leaves to this boiling water and simmer it for 5-10 minutes.
- If using dried herb, add this to the hot water, cover and let it steep for 5-6 minutes.
- Strain and have it with a dash of lemon juice, if preferred.
Ginger will Stop your Loose Motions
Traditional Chinese and Indian medicine use ginger extensively not only for indigestion but for many other conditions. Regarding loose motions, if it is due to indigestion, ginger is miraculously good for treating your diarrhea. Ginger works to strengthen your stomach and reduces food stagnation. This relieves you from loose motions. Ginger also stimulates intestinal enzyme that helps in the process of digestion.
Make Ginger Tea
- Ginger root- 1 inch piece
- Water- 1 cup
- Mince the ginger root
- Boil the water
- Add ginger to this and put off the flame immediately
- Cover and let it steep for 5-10 minutes
- Have this tea 2-3 times a day.
Lemon for Loose Motions Remedy
Lemon not only has immune boosting properties but also has effective antiviral and antibacterial properties. The acetic character of lemon juice restores the pH balance of your stomach and fights off bacteria. Thus, if you have loose motions due to stomach infections, lemon juice can be a boon for you.
- Lemon- 1
- Water- 1 glass
- Salt (optional)- a pinch
- Cut the lemon and squeeze its fresh juice into the glass of water.
- Stir it and have it.
- If you prefer, you can add a pinch of salt to enhance its taste.
Coriander Cures Loose Motions
Coriander or cilantro is one of the aromatic herbs that is very good for indigestion related conditions like loose motions. The essential oils present in coriander, namely Borneol and Linalool, help not only in proper digestion but also for functioning of the liver. If you think that’s all, it’s not. Because coriander is also good for loose motions induced by bacterial, fungal or other microbial infections. Cineole, Borneol, Limonene, Alpha-pinene & beta-phelandrene found in coriander have antibacterial effects and thus can stop infection induced loose motions too.
- Coriander leaves- 4-5 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1-2 tsp
- Water- 1 glass
- Chop the coriander leaves and grind to get a paste.
- Add this to the glass of water.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Mix well and have it.
Have Bananas to Get Rid of Loose Motions
If it’s indigestion that’s causing your loose motions, banana might help you out. The components named pectin present in bananas help you with digestion and also chelate toxins as well as heavy metals from your body. Fructooligosaccharides in bananas are also helpful as they have probiotic properties. Thus, they produce digestive enzymes and stimulate the growth of good bacteria in your intestine.
Take a ripe banana, peal it and just have it as it is. If one doesn’t works well, have one more after about half to one hour.
Have Raw Banana to stop Loose Motions more effectively
Raw Bananas, due to their astringent action, convert harmful bacteria in your intestines into beneficial acidophilic bacillus. They soothe your digestive tract and also restore lost electrolyte. Pectin is present here in raw bananas too and thus are helpful in improving bowel function. If you can have the green raw bananas as they are, you can try to have one or two. Else, try the following ways to have raw bananas.
- Raw bananas- 1-2
- Steam or boil the bananas, mash them, add a little lemon juice and a pinch of salt and have it. When boiling, don’t peel it in the beginning. Remove the peel after it becomes soft on boiling.
- You can also make a curry with raw bananas and have it with plain rice. Don’t make this curry spicy though.
Yogurt is also good for Loose Stools
Yogurt has lacto bacillus bacteria and they are known as friendly bacteria for stomach and intestines. If your loose motion is due to fungal infection, you have more reasons to have a bowl of yogurt. Just remember, don’t have flavored or sweetened yogurt, just plain yogurt. You can, however, add some beneficial herbs, spices etc. that will make it more effective in stopping loose motions. Browse through the below ways to get some ideas.
Ways to have yogurt for loose motions
- Have plain yogurt as it is. Have 1-2 bowls with a gap of 2-3 hours. In fact, there is no harm in having more yogurt.
- Add some crushed leaves of mint and/or coriander in the plain yogurt and have this flavorful yogurt to get rid of loose motions.
- If you can’t eat, make a drink out of yogurt. Add ½ -1 cup of water in your bowl of yogurt, stir well to have a watery consistency. If needed, add a pinch of salt and drink it.
- Mix yogurt with plain rice and have it as a meal. Both are good for loose motions.
Have lots of Fluids to minimize Loose Motions Effects
Loose motions, as said earlier too, is not that a serious issue unless it dehydrates your body to a level that you become uncomfortable and sick. With each trip to the washroom, you loose a lots of water from your body along with essentials minerals, vitamins and other nutrients. And it is more than required that you replenish this lost water and restore the electrolyte balance in your body. So, have lots of fluids. But what fluids to have. Take a look at the below list:
- Fruit juice (orange, sweet lime etc.)
- ORS (mix a tsp of sugar and a pinch of salt in a glass of water to make this at home)
- Lemon juice
- Coconut water
- Plain water
- Herbal Teas
Chamomile Tea to stop Loose Motions
Chamomile tea has anti-inflammatory and nerve calming properties. If you’re loose motions is due to stress, you can calm your nerves with chamomile tea and also get rid of loose motions. Any inflammation in your intestines will be cured with this tea and you will get rid of stomach pain and cramps if any. In fact, chamomile tea also has anti-bacterial properties and thus is good for infection related loose motions too.
- Chamomile herb- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Mint leaves (optional, but recommended)- 1 tsp
- Boil the water.
- Place chamomile and mint herbs in a pot.
- Pour hot water over them
- Cover and let it steep for 5-8 minutes
- Strain and have this tea 1-3 times a day.
Carom Seeds for Loose Motions
Also known as bishop’s weed and ajwain, carom seeds are highly effective for indigestion related problems like bloating, flatulence and diarrhea. The components of carom seeds- thymol oil, p-cymene, Beta-pinene, alpha pinene, limonene, camphene, and carvacrol, all work together to give you relief from your upset stomach.
Ways to have carom seeds for loose motions
- Chew a few seeds of ajwain to digest your food properly and stop bowel movements.
- Make tea by steeping a tsp of carom seeds in a cup of hot water for about five minutes,
- Make an infusion by simmering 1-2 tbsp carom seeds in 2-3 glasses of water for about half an hour. Strain and have it in 3-4 batches by adding water to this.
- Take 1 tsp of carom seeds and a pinch of rock salt. Swallow it with some lukewarm water.
- Combine 2-3 tsp of carom seeds, ½ tsp of black salt, and ¼ tsp of asafoetida. Store this dry mixture in a bottle. Have ¼ tsp of this mixture with warm water twice daily. This will help you fight off indigestion if this is a regular thing for you.
Rest when you suffer from Loose Motions
If you didn’t know, our body has innate capacity to heal itself. It just needs your cooperation for this. In case of loose motions, your body needs some rest along with lots of fluids and light meals. The main idea is to give a break to your digestive system and restore the lost fluid and electrolytes balance. When you will have lighter meals, you will help your system to work in direction of healing rather than digesting foods. Also, when you rest, your body is under minimum stress and all its organs work to their maximum capacity. So, rest for the day, and help your body naturally stop loose motions faster.