Chubby cheeks are good only in rhymes! Ask those people who have these chubby cheeks and double chins on their bloated faces. They just want to get rid of all the face fat. But how to lose this fat on face? While losing weight is always a task that needs determination and continuous efforts, losing weight on face needs a lot of extra efforts. In fact, a bloated face is not only a matter of looks but it may indicate a serious health issue. Let’s see why we get a fat face!
Causes for Facial Fat
Here are the top reasons why your face looks all blown up when you see it in the mirror every time, more so in the mornings.
Whenever you eat those burgers and pizzas, try to evaluate the nutrients in them! Did you find any? They are pure ‘junk’! You need all the vitamins and minerals and other essential nutrients to look at your best. To be specific, lack of vitamin C and beta carotene can make your face bloat. Not only this, whenever you eat such foods, you are pushing carbohydrates and salt into your system. These two things too cause puffiness of face. So, start having balanced diet full of nutrition. Fruits, vegetables and herbs are good for losing weight, not only on face but from all over your body!
This is due to water retention. When your body craves for water and doesn’t get it, it tends to retain water. Face is one of the areas where your body can retain more water. So, start drinking lots of water. If it isn’t possible for you, have more of watery fruits and vegetables as well as healthy drinks.
When you age, the hormonal changes inside your face leads to bloating and puffy face. However, it’s not too hard to delay these aging symptoms. Just eat right (the nutritious balanced diet) and exercise a lot while maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Do you drink a lot? If yes, expect your face to become puffy and fat. Why does this happen? This is because alcohol dehydrates your body. This leads your body to again retain water which makes your face look fat. So, cut back on your alcohol consumption.
Sometimes it may be your genes that give you a fat face. While you cannot do a lot in such a situation, you can at least try to tone your facial muscles with some toning exercise.
Facial fat is not always due to the above causes. It can be a symptom of something that’s not right in your body. For example, kidney problems, sinus infections, allergies, insect bites, mumps, dental issues, edema etc. Take steps to treat these conditions and you’ll get rid of your facial fat.
Now when you know what might be causing your facial weight, you may definitely try to eliminate that cause and lose your facial weight. But the question is, how to do so?
How to Lose Weight on Face
There is a three pronged approach for losing face fat:
- Lifestyle and diet changes
- Face exercises
- Home remedies
Lifestyle Changes for Losing Facial Weight
This is the most essential step you can take to keep yourself away from body weight, including facial fat. Drinking enough water throughout the day will keep your body hydrated to a level where it would not require to retain water and give you a bloated appearance.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily
- Have more water based fruits and vegetables like cucumber, tomatoes, watermelon etc.
- If you can’t drink plain water, have healthy drinks like fruit juices, herbal tea, vegetable smoothies, soups etc.
Limit Salt Consumption
Salt leads to water retention in your body. This happens because your body tries to dilute the salt with larger amounts of water. This not only makes your face look fat but also leads to serious health issues. Too much salt intake puts pressure on your heart and may lead to heart failure or stroke over time. You may also get kidney problems due to excessive salt consumption. So, stop taking too much of salt. But how?
- Cut back on processed and fast foods. They are loaded with salt. Instead have more fruits and veggies.
- Avoid sprinkling salt on each and every food item you eat. All natural foods have adequate amounts of salt. You need not add more salt to them. It is a matter of few days only when you will start liking foods with low salt levels.
- Have lots of water to help your body flush out the excessive sodium you have stored in your body through salt intake.
- Have natural diuretics as they eliminate sodium and water from your body. Cranberry juice and cabbage are good examples of such natural diuretics.
- Eat more potassium-rich foods. Potassium balances sodium in your body by flushing out water and sodium out of the body. Bananas, carrots, spinach, raisins etc. have high amounts of potassium in them. Have them daily.
Have Balanced Diet
Wholesome diet loaded with all the essential nutrients will not only reduce facial weight but will help you lose weight from all over your body.
- Have more fresh fruits. Avoid having canned or preserved fruits. They might contain sugar, sodium or other preservatives that can further lead to bloating and weight gain.
- Have more vegetables. Fibers in the vegetables help eliminate toxins from your body which is essential to lose weight. They also give you all the essential minerals and vitamins.
- Don’t skip meals and eat your meals regularly, preferably on the same time every day. This helps in better digestion. As you might be knowing, indigestion is the cause of almost all the diseases.
- Eat smaller meals many a times instead of 2-3 big meals. This will help boost your metabolism so that you get rid of fat.
Avoid Junk Food
Processed as well as fast foods, all are junk foods. Avoid them. This would help you avoid excessive salt and carbohydrates. You should know that unhealthy carbohydrates are a big reason for fat as they lead to bloating.
- Avoid packed foods
- Avoid processed foods
- Reduce the frequency of visits to restaurants.
- Eat more home cooked food
- Eat more raw foods, fruits and vegetables by adding them in salads
- Instead of such snacks as cookies, biscuits, popcorns etc. snack on dry fruits, peanuts, date, coconut etc.
Take enough Rest
Lack of sleep can give you puffy eyes, dark circles, saggy skin, fine lines and wrinkles etc. all of which can make you look aged and sometimes bloated. So, have enough rest by sleeping for adequate time every day. Also, not taking rest breaks during work can make you over stressed that will lead to various medical conditions including bloated body and face.
- Take breaks from work frequently.
- Sleep enough every day.
- Try to go to bed at the same time everyday and wake up at the same time in the morning, even on holidays. This sets a rhythm of your body and you can sleep easily.
- If needed, you can learn some meditation techniques. Calming your nerves and mind can give you deep rest and relaxation.
Correct your Posture
If you are in a habit to sit wrongly, correct it now. Hunched back can make your face look fat. Additionally, it also leads to double chin. Always stand straight. Do not bellow your face down while talking or walking. This can make the fat get stored in your chin area.
Exercise is the healthier way to keep your body fit and fine. When you exercise regularly, you help your body work naturally. Your metabolism improves and you start losing weight. When you lose weight, it is obvious that fat on your face too reduces.
- Move your body daily, be it walking, swimming, cycling, dancing, do whatever you like, but move it.
- If possible, do intense exercise, at least 2-3 days a week, such as cardio, aerobics, yoga or any other such exercises.
- When it comes to facial weight, you also need to do face exercises. The next section deals with this elaborately.