So, you have been trying to wear those cute strapless and sleeveless dresses but you can’t and all this is due to your flabby soft arms! But there’s nothing that can stop you from wearing these dresses only if you start working to lose arm fat.
You have guessed it right, you need to do exercises to lose arm fat. Because there is nothing called ‘lose-fat-without-exercising’ and yes you also need to watch your diet. You should understand that there’s nothing called spot fat reduction. If someone claims to do that, you should just ignore. You need to lose overall body weight to reduce fat from any of your body parts, be it arms or legs or belly! But yes, there are certain exercises of arms that can help you tone up your arms and also help you reduce fat fast.
First, have a look at what all exercises you need to do to lose arm fat.
Exercises to Lose Arm Fat
As said earlier too, you have to exercise your whole body to even lose fat from arms but yes, you can also do certain exercises that will help you make your arms slimmer and all toned up! There are in fact, three groups of exercises that you must do to lose fat, from arms too.
- Full-body strength training workouts
- Cardiovascular exercise
- Exercises for arms
Full-body strength training workouts
These exercises will develop your lean muscle mass. They will also boost your metabolism which is one of the fastest ways to lose fat. So, what exercises can you do to workout your large muscle group:
- Lat pull-downs
- Biceps curls
- Triceps press
- Overhead shoulder press
Do 3 sets of all the above exercises for 10-15 repetitions. Do them daily, if not, at least 5 days a week.
This is the best way to burn calories. Do cardiovascular exercises for half an hour, five days a week. What exercises to do?
- Riding a stationary bike
- Brisk walking
- Skipping (jumping rope)
- Cross trainer (Elliptical training machines)
Exercises for arms
Because you want to lose arm fat, you would require to spend some time every week doing specific exercises that will train your biceps, triceps and shoulders. These exercises will build muscle in your arms. Remember, muscles need more calories and thus you burn fat faster. Also your arms look toned up. So, what to do?
- Barbell curls
- Rope curls
- Triceps overhead press,
- Triceps dips
- Triceps kickbacks
- Front raises
- Rear flys
- Lateral raises
Do 3 sets of 10-15 repetitions, once or twice a week.
But what if you can’t go to gym? Does that mean, you can’t do these exercises for arms? Not at all! You can do exercises to lose fat at home itself. Here are some such exercises.
How to Exercise at Home to Lose Arm Fat
Following exercises can be done at home, using nothing or the household things like chairs, tables, bottles etc. They will all help you lose arm fat.
Lift Weight to Lose Arm fat
Who said you always need dumbbells to do weightlifting exercises? You can find a lots of weight lying around. Pick a filled up water bottle of 1 liter or 2 liters capacity and you have an excellent replacement for dumbbells! For that matter, any bottle can do, whether water bottle or bottle of soft drinks!
- Dumbbell Or a 2 liters bottle of water or cold drink (don’t use breakable material)
- Stand in front of a mirror (preferable but not compulsory)
- Hold the dumbbell or bottle with both the hands.
- Now while holding the bottle, lift your hands over your head.
- Keep your arms straight while lifting them up.
- Now slowly lower the bottle or dumbbell, whatever weight you are using behind your back.
- Take it as low as you can behind your back.
- Keep your upper arms close to ears and head.
- Now move the weight in your hands up again, slowly.
- Arms will be straight and close to head.
- Do this for 15-20 times.
- Take a break of a minute or two.
- Repeat the set 3 times with 15-20 repetitions.
Counter Push ups to Tone up Arm Muscle
Also called incline push-ups, counter push ups are a form of strength training exercise. This is good for the muscles of your chest, fronts of the shoulders and your triceps. It is done like a regular push-up only but the difference lies in the position of your hands. In counter push ups, hands are placed on an elevated surface and not on the floor.
- Waist high desk (you can do it using a waist high counter top also, like in your kitchen!)
- Place your hands on the desk (or counter-top). Hands should be at a distance which is a little wider than your shoulders.
- Place your feet about 2-3 feet away from the desk.
- Keep your stomach tightened and your spine straight. This will bring your body in a line from your head to feet.
- While inhaling, bend your elbows and lower your chest toward the desk.
- While exhaling, make your arms straight and return to the beginning position.
- Do 3 sets of 15 repetitions every day.
After a few days when you are easy with counter push ups, you can move towards doing the regular push ups
Do Standard Push ups to get rid of Arms Fat
If you remember, we talked about strength-training activities while discussing on how to lose arm fat. It was also mentioned that there’s nothing like spot reduction. But yes, you can tone up muscles at a particular spot. Pushups are a fine strength training exercises. Although, push ups burn calories at a very low rate, they help increase your metabolism which is a must when you want to lose weight. When you do push ups, you also develop your chest, shoulders and arms. If you have loose skin around arms, push ups can eliminate this flab by building muscle mass in your triceps. Push ups are demanding exercise and you should therefore start with knee push ups before doing the regular push ups.
How to do push ups to reduce arm fat
- Lie on the floor on your stomach
- Keep your hands at a distance wider than your shoulder width
- First do the knee push up
- For this, rest your weight on your knees and ankles that lie crossed.
- Now press your chest off the floor with your elbows lying close to your side.
- Then slowly lower down.
- Do 3 sets of 15 repetitions.
- Once you are easy with 3 sets of 15 repetitions, you can start doing regular pushups from the next day by resting your body weight on your feet and hands.
- Initially do 5 push ups by taking rest in between each push up.
- Slowly try to do 3 push ups without taking breaks and increase this gradually to 5 continuous push ups.
Do Triangle Pushups to Lose Arm Fat Fast
One of the studies conducted by The American Council on Exercise (ACE) found out that the triangle pushup leads to the highest muscle activity amongst all the exercises tested in the study. The study was conducted on 70 female participants by attaching electromagnetic (EMG) electrodes to women’s triceps while they did various arms exercises. The real-time muscle activity was recorded in this way to determine which arms exercises lead to intense muscle activity. And it was the triangle pushups.
How to do triangle pushup to lose arm fat
Just like the standard pushup, triangle pushup can be done by resting the body weight on knees or toes. However, the position of arms change here. instead of placing the arms beneath the shoulders, hands make a triangle under the chest.
- Lie down on floor or mat, on your stomach
- Bring your body at the start of push up position by resting your body weight on your toes or knees.
- Place your hands directly under your chest.
- Bring the tips of your left and right middle fingers together to make the top of the triangle
- Keep the thumbs pointing toward one another. This will form the straight-line base of the triangle.
- Keep your body in one straight line while you lower down yourself towards the ground and back to your start position.
Tricep Dips Tones up Arm Muscle
The same study which revealed that triangle push ups are best when it comes to lose arm flab, said that tricep dips activated those arm muscles that are considered tough to tone up. These dips tone the muscles on the back of your upper arm. However, you must do the exercise properly otherwise you might harm yourself a lot.
- A chair which is at least 2 feet above the floor (you can do it beside bed too!)
- Sit on the chair and hold the chair at your sides with your hands.
- Now push forward while keeping the hold on the chair with hands. Your body will thus push away from the chair but your hands will still hold it.
- Your body should be 3-4 steps away from the chair.
- Keep your body straight as if you are sitting on an invisible chair placed in front of the real chair that you have held with your hands
- This is your start position.
- Bend your knees till it reaches the height of the chair (about 2 feet from the floor).
- Bend your elbows and lower down your body towards the floor.
- Take your body as low as you can and stop when you are just about to touch the ground.
- Come back to your start position.
- Do 3 sets of 15 repetitions.
Arm Scissors Exercise
You should aim for stretching your arms whenever you can. But when you do your daily exercise, stretch your arms purposefully to tone the muscles that will make them look thinner. Scissors exercise for arms is a dynamic stretch for your pectoral muscles, upper back muscles, shoulder muscles, and upper arm muscles.
How to do scissors exercise for arms
- Stand straight
- Keep your feet at a distance of your shoulder-width.
- Hold your arms straight out to your sides. They should be parallel to the ground.
- While criss-crossing, swing your both the arms in front of and behind your body. This is the scissoring motion.
- While swinging, alternate the top arm with every swing.
- When you start swinging the arms, do it gently.
- Gradually increase the speed and do it vigorously.
- Don’t jerk, just swing the arms, in a smooth manner.
- If you feel you muscles are aching, stop.
- This exercise is done best when you warm up for exercising.
- Perform 10-20 arm scissors
Arm Circle Exercise
Arm circles is perhaps the easiest exercise with lots of benefits when it comes to tone the muscles of your arms so that they look thin. You can either do it with weights or without weight. Both ways, it is a great exercise and you can do it anywhere, any time.
How to circle arms
- Stand straight
- Keep your feet at a distance of your shoulder-width
- Hold your arms straight to your sides, at your shoulder height.
- Now make small forward circles with your arms in the air (rotate them in forward direction)
- Make 20-50 circles. Initially do 20 circles and increase it up to 50
- Now make small backward circles.
- Do this 20-50 times.
One Arm Lateral Exercise
This is not that easy exercise as the arm circles but it is very effective in toning the arm muscles. You can do this exercise to lose arm fat faster.
How to do one arm lateral exercise?
- Lie on the floor and bring your body to the push-up position
- Keep your hands directly under the shoulders.
- Raise your body on your right hand while you stretch your left hand to your side, parallel to the ground
- Right hand will be straight with palms firmly placed on the ground.
- Hold the position for few seconds
- Lower your body to the start position.
- Repeat with the other hand.
Half Moon Arm Rotation Exercise
While arm circle is a low impact exercise, half moon arm rotation is a medium intensity exercise and it tones up your biceps, triceps and shoulders fabulously.
How to do half moon rotation with arms?
- Stand straight with your feet hip width apart
- Stretch the arms straight at sides, at shoulder height
- Keep fingers together and palms face down.
- Now rotate your thumbs back until your palms face up.
- Then rotate your thumbs forward until your palms face down.
- Do 30 repetitions.
- To add challenge, stand on one leg and then do the exercise.
- You may also hold weight in your hands.
Tricep Kickback for Toned Lean Arm
To get firm, sleek triceps, this is one of the best arm exercises. It is a strength training exercise which traditionally uses dumbbells. You can instead use bottles as weight.
How to do tricep kickback for toned arms?
- Hold dumbbells or other weight in your hands.
- Stand straight with your feet at a distance little wider than shoulder width.
- Keep arms by your sides
- While keeping your back straight, bend your legs a little to lean forward from the waist.
- Stop bending when your torso come parallel to the ground.
- Now raise your elbows until your upper arms lie straight and close to your bent back.
- Your palms should face one another.
- While keeping your upper arms still, stretch both hands behind you and rotate your wrists to bring your palms up.
- Turn your palms back to face each other while bending your elbows to bring weights back toward your body.
- Do 3 sets of 15 repetitions.
Other Tips to Lose Arm Fat
As you know that you have to lose weight to lose fat from arms. The arm fat cannot be lost without losing overall fat from your body. Here are some tips for you to follow when you want to lose fat from arms.
- Have more natural foods. Instead of processed foods, have whole grains, vegetables, fish, lean meats and healthy fats such as nuts, seeds, olive oil and avocado and fruits. This will help you in rapid weight loss.
- Instead of 2-3 big meals, have 5-6 small meals. This increases your metabolism, essential to lose weight.
- As said earlier, do all types of exercises along with specific exercises for arms.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid water retention which makes you look fat.
If you pay heed to these remedies to lose weight and do regular exercises of arms as well as strength and cardiovascular exercise, you will definitely lose arm fat and get thinner and form arms.