Greasy hair is no lesser a problem than the dry hair or itchy scalp issues. If you suffer from greasy oily hair, you may not require to be explained what having greasy hair feels like. But to help others understand, lets mention that the hair which tends to develops a lank, flat, stringy or oily look, is the hair that is called greasy hair. Now the question is what causes greasy hair! Let’s know this too.
What Causes Greasy Hair?
The greasy hair causes are many but the root cause for such oily greasy hair is the over-active sebaceous glands. Sebaceous glands are there in every pore of your skin, including your scalp. There work is to produce sebum (oil) in order to maintain the right level of hydration. This keeps your skin soft and moisturized naturally. The sebum produced by the sebaceous glands on scalp keep your hair supple, soft and waterproof so that it doesn’t get too dry. Now when the sebaceous glands produce more sebum or oil than required, they tend to make your hair oily. When all the dirt etc. Stick to this extra oil on your scalp, you get what is called greasy hair. Now what causes the sebaceous glands secret more sebum than is required by your scalp? Here are some of the reasons behind this:
- Genetic cause. You may be genetically predisposed to have more active sebaceous glands that produce more sebum than is required and thus you get your greasy hair by virtue of your heredity.
- Improper hair products. When you use shampoo, conditioner and other hair styling products that contain certain chemicals or other ingredients, they cause greasy hair.
- Lack of proper hair care. If you do not regularly clean your hair and scalp, this results into build-up of toxins, dirt etc. And give you greasy sticky hair.
- Your hair type. Yes this is also one of the causes behind your greasy hair. If you have thin fine hair, you would have more hair strands and this higher volume of hair means you have more sebaceous glands that may produce excessive oil and give you oily scalp and greasy hair. On the other hand, thick, curly hairs usually are dry towards the ends but they are greasy at the scalp. In this case, the extra sebums produced by the glands are prevented from evenly distributed due to the curls.
- Hormonal Issues. Imbalance in hormones, like when you are in puberty or during menopause, may also lead the sebaceous glands to produce more oil and ultimately leading to greasy hair. Sometimes during pregnancy or while you take birth control pills, you may suffer from greasy hair due to the same reason- imbalance in hormones.
- Improper way of cleaning hair. Not only improper products, but improper way of cleaning your hair may also lead to greasy hair. If you wash your hair excessively or scrub your scalp a lot while washing hair, your scalp may get irritated triggering secretion of more oil.
- Scalp diseases. Certain diseases like seborrheic dermatitis or scalp psoriasis may also give you greasy hair along with other discomforts to your scalp. In such cases, you need to treat greasy hair issues by consulting a doctor and taking proper medicines and steps to cure your scalp diseases.
So, are there any greasy hair fix? Yes, there are many indeed! There are various remedies for greasy hair as well as tips for greasy hair cleaning and maintenance. Let’s start with knowing certain greasy hair remedies.
Home Remedies for Greasy Hair
Here are the best greasy hair remedies that can treat greasy hair and oily scalp issues.
Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Greasy Hair
Apple cider vinegar is a remedy that is equally good for dry frizzy hair as well as for greasy hair because it works by balancing the pH level of your hair and scalp! When the pH level is controlled, the sebaceous glands will automatically work well and will not produce excessive oil. Vinegar also clears the dirt and other oily build-up on your scalp and hair hair. Additionally, the nutritious composition of apple cider vinegar gives you soft and shiny hair! So, how to stop greasy hair using apple cider vinegar? Here’s how to do so!
- Apple cider vinegar- 2-3 tbsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Take the water and add the vinegar to this. Mix well.
- Now wash your hair as you do regularly with shampoo and water.
- After rinsing your hair well, use the prepared vinegar-water solution to rinse your hair once more.
- Let it sit there for a few minutes.
- Now wash it off again with cool water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
Use Lemon Juice for Greasy Hair Remedy
The citric acid present in lemon juice helps remove the oily build-up that may be there in your hair due to the residue of hair care products. Like vinegar, lemon juice also helps balance the pH level of your hair to remove its greasiness. The astringent properties of lemon juice also help balance the production natural oil, the sebum, into your scalp. Therefore, it is wise to use lemon for your greasy hair problems.
- Lemon juice- from 2-3 lemons
- Water- 2 cups
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice to the water.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and water.
- Use the lemon water as the final rinse.
- Massage your scalp gently after pouring the lemon water onto the scalp and the length oof your hair.
- Let it sit there for 4-5 minutes.
- Now wash off with water, if needed with warm water.
- Repeat only once or twice a week.
Precaution- Over use of lemon onto your hair may lighten their color.
Mix Aloe Vera with Lemon to Get Rid of Greasy Hair
You just read how wonderful a remedy lemon is for your greasy hair! Now when you add aloe vera to this, you just double up its effects on your oily hair. Aloe vera gel has very useful enzymes that cleanse all the build-up and toxins on your scalp and hair. It actually detoxifies your hair by unclogging the grease ridden hair follicles.
- Aloe vera gel- 1-2 tbsp
- Lemon juice- few drops
- Add the drops of lemon juice to your aloe vera gel.
- Mix them well.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and massage it well gently for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now leave it to sit there for about 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with your regular shampoo and water.
- Repeat 1-2 times a week.
Make a Tea Rinse for Greasy Hair Fix
Tea has this tannic acid with excellent astringent properties. It tightens the pores of your scalp when you apply it there. This helps prevent the build-up of excessive oil on your scalp and thus make you get rid of greasy hair. While all tea has tannic acid, black tea has the most of it. So, now it’s up to you which tea you want to use for making a tea rinse for your greasy hair.
- Tea leaves- 1 tbsp OR tea bag- 1
- Warm water- 1 cup
- If using a tea bag, let it soak in the cup of warm water for few minutes.
- If using tea leaves, boil the leaves in the water for 3-5 minutes and strain it. Take half a cup of more water to make for the evaporated water while boiling the tea.
- Now let the tea cool down to room temperature or till it becomes lukewarm
- Pour this lukewarm tea on to your scalp and ensure it covers your hair too.
- Leave it there for a good 5-10 minutes.
- Now wash off your hair with shampoo and water as usual.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
Baking Soda is a Quick Greasy Hair Fix
Baking soda absorbs oil too well. If you are in a hurry and you just want to fix your greasy hair in no time, use baking soda as a dry shampoo. Otherwise, make a baking soda rinse for your greasy hair. It will help restore the pH level of your hair so that you get rid of greasy hair.
Use baking soda as dry shampoo for a quick fix for greasy hair
- Take some baking soda in your hands.
- Rub this baking soda all through your hair.
- Now brush your hair well.
- You have fixed your greasy hair! You will see no oil in your hair.
- Get set and go wherever you were going.
Make a baking soda rinse for greasy hair
- Baking soda- 1 part
- Water- 3 parts
- Wet your hair to make it just damp.
- Mix baking soda and water to get a paste.
- Apply this paste to your scalp and massage for a couple of minutes.
- Leave it there for few more minutes.
- Now wash off with warm water.
- Repeat 1-2 times a week.
Egg Mask for Greasy Hair
Eggs are nourishing foods, not only for you but for your hair too. While eggs condition your hair excellently, the honey adds to its effect. Honey too is a great natural conditioner for your oily hair. If you suffer from greasy hair due to all those improper conditioners you have been using, try making one with egg and honey and see your problem of greasy hair vanishing. Other ingredients used in this recipe for egg mask for greasy hair includes aloe vera and lemon juice about which you have already read in the previous remedies as to how good they are for greasy hair.
- Egg- 1
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Aloe vera gel – 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Apply this mask to your scalp and hair.
- Leave it there for about 15-20 minutes.
- Now wash off with slightly warm water.
- Then wash again with shampoo and water and you are done.
- You may repeat using this mask 1-2 times a week.
Clay Mask for Greasy Hair Remedy
Clay is good for detoxifying your hair. Mud has this very good absorbing property and thus it literally sucks all the oil and build-up from your scalp and hair and leave it clean and non-greasy. You may try any clay, bentonite clay, green or blue clay or even Fuller’s earth (multani mitti). You can simply add water to your choice of clay and apply to your hair or add some other ingredients that would enhance effect on your greasy hair such as apple cider vinegar. Here’s such one recipe.
- Clay (Bentonite/blue/green/Fuller’s earth)- 3/4 cup
- Apple cider vinegar- 1/2 cup
- Water- 1/2 – 1 cup
- Essential oil (lavender/peppermin/lemon oil) (optional)- 5-8 drops
- Mix water and apple cider vinegar
- Add clay to the solution while mixing it continuously so that no lumps are formed. You may also use a blender or food processor for the purpose.
- Now add the essential oil if using
- Wet your hair.
- Apply the clay mask from roots till the end of the hair length.
- Coat all your hair with the mask.
- Leave for 10-20 minutes.
- Wash off with warm water properly.
- As a final rinse, you can even use apple cider-water mix.
- Do this once a week.
Strawberry Mask for Greasy Hair
The delicious and beautiful strawberries not only provide nutrition to your hair roots and control the oil production in your scalp but also give you healthy shiny hair. They can soak up the excessive oil lying there in your scalp to help you get rid of greasy hair. And as mentioned, strawberries also regulate sebum production so that you do not face the problem of greasy hair.
- Strawberries- 1/4- 1/2 cup
- Blend the strawberries.
- Strain it through a sieve so as to make it a smooth pulp that doesn’t contain grainy texture.
- Now apply this to your scalp and hair.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
Beer to Get Rid of Greasy Hair
Beer may sound awkward to be used for hair but it is a very good remedy for oily hair. Made up of yeast, hop and malt, beer has various nutrients like vitamins B, Cooper, Phosphorus, Magnesium and iron that gives your hair a healthy treat. And that’s why you can see so many beer shampoo brands in the market. So why not use beer to get rid of greasy and oily hair! The alcohol cleans the build-up on your scalp and also stimulates blood circulation there. This ensures that you not only get rid of greasy hair but also grow hair fast! Use light, warm and flat beer for maximum benefit.
Beer Rinse for your Hair
- Beer, preferably organic and without preservatives
- Open the beer bottle or can and leave it for about half an hour or so.
- Now wash your hair as usual with shampoo and water.
- Now rinse your hair once more, this time with the beer.
- Leave it there for about 3-5 minutes.
- Then wash again with clean water.
- Enjoy the shining, grease free hair.
Beer-Egg Mask for Oily Hair
If your oily hair has stubborn grease and it doesn’t go away with the beer alone, you may try mixing egg to it and prepare a mask for your greasy hair.
- Beer- 100 ml (little less than half a cup)
- Egg yolk- 1
- Combine beer and egg yolk and mix well.
- Apply this to your scalp and hair.
- Leave it for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
- If you can’t stand the smell, wash it once more with mild shampoo and water.
Witch Hazel for Greasy Hair Quick Fix
Here’s another quick fix for greasy hair- witch hazel. The all natural witch hazel is an excellent astringent. It can tighten your pores to limit the secretion of oil and that’s how you get rid of greasy hair in a matter of seconds. What you need to do is just to apply a little witch hazel to your scalp after every wash. This will reduce the oiliness that spreads all over your hair.
- Witch Hazel
- Cotton ball (optional)
- Wash your hair usually as you do with shampoo and water.
- After washing your hair, take some witch hazel and dip the cotton ball in it.
- Apply this to your scalp while your hair is still damp.
- You may even use your finger tips to apply witch hazel to your scalp.
- That’s all, do this after every wash.
Homemade Essential Oils Shampoo and Rinse for Greasy Hair
There are many essential oils that can combat oiliness of your hair. You can try adding few drops of these essential oils to your shampoo or hair rinse solutions or make a shampoo right at home by using some of such essential oils for oily hair. Here’s one such recipe.
Make Shampoo with Essential Oils for Greasy Hair
- Cedarwood Essential Oil- 3 drops
- Clary Sage Essential Oil- 4 drops
- Cypress Essential Oil- 4 drops
- Lemon Essential Oil- 7drops
- Yarrow Essential Oil- 2 drops.
- Shampoo base- 100 ml
- Add all the oils to the shampoo base.
- Blend well.
- Whenever washing your hair, use this homemade shampoo.
- Before using, always shake the bottle well to blend the oils well into the shampoo base.
Make Hair Rinse with Essential Oils for Greasy Hair
- Water- 1 cup
- Apple cider vinegar- 2 tsp
- Lemon Essential Oil- 2 drops
- Thyme Essential Oil- 1 drop
- Mix all the ingredients.
- After you wash your hair, use this as the final rinse for your greasy hair.
- Ensure that all of your scalp areas get coated with this water.
Tips for Greasy Hair
While all the above home remedies will greatly help you get rid of greasy hair, there are some more measures that you need to take regarding cleanliness and your hair care routine. Here are some such tips for your greasy hair.
- Don’t over-wash your hair. In order to get rid of oil, you may be in a habit to wash your hair daily or even twice a day! But this is not right for greasy hair. When you wash your hair with shampoo, you strip your scalp of all its natural oil. Therefore, you glands become more active and start producing more oil. This give you more greasy hair. To stop greasy hair due to such an over activity of glands, do not wash your hair more than thrice a week. Initially, you may see some oil and grease on your hair for a week or so but gradually you will notice that your hair is becoming less greasy.
- Use only a little shampoo. For the same reason as stated in the previous point. More shampoo means more oil getting lost from the scalp and more glands becoming active to produce excessive oil. Use a little shampoo and do not scrub your scalp with it.
- Don’t use conditioner. They are for dry hair. Your hair already is oily and sufficiently conditioned. When you use conditioner, you are making them more oily. So avoid using conditioners. Instead use natural conditioners like apple cider vinegar or lemon water.
- Use chemical free shampoo. Shampoos with sulfates and other harsh chemicals irritate scalp and make the glands overproduce oils to do away with the dryness they cause. Go for natural shampoos or those labelled as clarifying or oil controlling.
If you follow all these tips for greasy hair, you are bound to get rid of your oily here soon.