Whether you have unwanted hair over your upper lips or chin, on cheeks or forehead, facial hair will remain like that- unwanted! A glowing face with bleached golden hair too doesn’t look that appealing. You also don’t want to shave these facial hair. After all, women love to have soft supple skin and shaving does make it rough. What to do then? Try these natural home remedies to remove unwanted facial hair. True, home remedies take longer to show results but they don’t damage your sensitive facial skin nor do they have any side effects like the chemical laden hair removing products! Some of them are so easy to apply on your face that you don’t feel you are giving any extra effort to remove those stubborn hair from your face.
Natural Home Remedies to Remove Facial Hair
1. Indian Nettle-Turmeric Remedy to Remove Unwanted Facial Hair
Acalphya Indica, commonly known as Indian nettle, is native to India as its name indicates. It is a medicinal herb having anthelmintic, expectorant, emetic, anodyne, hypnotic, antimicrobial , antiparasitic and wound healing properties. It has been used traditionally for treating various conditions like pneumonia, asthma, rheumatism , bedsores, wounds etc. The juice of Indian nettle herb is mixed with oil or lime to treat various skin diseases. Indian nettle is also a very good remedy for unwanted hair, especially facial hair, as it gently permeates the skin gradually thinning hair on face. With time, facial hair fall off and then stop growing altogether. Turmeric, with its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties is one of the skin friendly herbs that works excellently with Indian nettle to get you rid of unwanted facial hair.
How to use Indian nettle-turmeric to remove facial hair?
- Indian Nettle Leaves- a handful
- Fresh turmeric root- 1-2 inches OR turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Wash the leaves of Indian nettle properly and crush or grind them to get paste.
- Grind the fresh turmeric to get 1 tsp turmeric paste.
- Mix 1 tsp fresh turmeric root’s paste to this. You may also mix 1 tsp turmeric powder if you don’t get fresh turmeric.
- Apply this paste on your face where you have unwanted hair.
- Leave it for a couple of hours before you wash it off.
- It is better if you apply this paste before going to bed and then wash it off in the morning.
- Repeat everyday for 4-6 weeks to see your unwanted hair go away from you face.
2. Oatmeal Scrub to Remove Facial Hair
The gentle grainy texture of oatmeal makes a good facial exfoliating agent. Scrubs have always been useful in removing hair. However, commercially available scrubs may sometimes leave sensitive skin dry, itchy and red. Oatmeal, on the other hand, due to its avenathramide class of antioxidants is able to reduce redness and protect your skin against UV sun damage. When you make these natural scrub using oatmeal and other skin friendly ingredients, you not only get rid of unwanted hair but also get soft, hydrated and smooth skin.
How to make oatmeal scrub for unwanted facial hair removal?
- Coarsely ground oatmeal- 1/2 tsp
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Fresh lemon juice- 6-8 drops
- Mix oatmeal, honey and lemon juice to get a paste.
- Apply this on your face.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- After this, gently rub your face in circular motion for about 2-5 minutes. Where you have hair on your face, rub against the direction of the hair growth. Keep your hand gentle.
- Now wash it off.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
3. Lavender-Tea Tree Oil for Hirsutism Induced Facial Hair Removal
Many women suffer from a medical condition called hirsutism. It can be understood as presence of excessive hair on androgen-dependent areas of a woman’s body such as chin or breast. A study was conducted to find out the efficacy of lavender oil and tea tree oil for curing mild idiopathic hirsutism in women. This study suggested that lavender and tea tree oils may have antiandrogenic activities. It means that if these oils are locally applied on skin, it can reduce unwanted hair growth on face and other body parts of women.
How to use lavender-tea tree oil to remove unwanted facial hair?
- Lavender oil- 1 tsp
- Tea tree oil- 4-6 drops
- Mix both the oils.
- With the help of a cotton ball, apply this oil mix on your facial hair.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day for at least 3 months to see positive result.
4. Use Fenugreek to Remove Unwanted Facial Hair
Fenugreek is a very good medicinal herb for many women related health problems, one of which is hirsutism in which women body parts get hair just like men, for example beard and chest hair. To take all the benefits of fenugreek, you may soak a tsp of these seeds in a glass of water overnight. Then have this water along with seeds in the morning. If you, however, want to use fenugreek only for facial hair removal, use it in a scrub-mask form
How to make fenugreek scrub for unwanted facial hair removal?
- You need equal parts of fenugreek powder and green gram powder.
- Fenugreek seeds- 1-2 tsp
- Green gram- 1-2 tsp
- Water to make paste
- Grind fenugreek seeds and green gram to get their powder.
- Mix both the herbal powders.
- Add enough water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your face.
- Let it dry.
- Once dried, use a soft dry cloth to gently rub the paste off your facial skin.
5. Barley Scrub to Remove Stubborn Facial Hair
Sometimes the natural but mild scrubbing agents can’t remove the stubborn deep rooted facial hair. When taken internally, it helps in various skin and hair conditions but when used as a scrub, it will remove your facial hair leaving your skin soft and glowing.
How to make barley scrub to remove unwanted facial hair?
- Barley powder- 1 tbsp
- Milk- 1tbsp
- Lime juice- 1 tbsp
- Mix barley powder, milk and lime juice to make a paste.
- Apply this to your face.
- Leave for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat 3-4 times a week.
6. Wheatbran Scrubs to Remove Unwanted Facial Hair
Wheatbran is what remains after refining the wheat grain. While this nutrient rich outer layers of wheat grains are usually used as fodder for animals, it is healthy beyond imagination for human beings too. Not only is wheatbran healthy, it is a fine natural cosmetic product too which is used to make various masks and scrubs. The coarse wheatbran makes an excellent scrub which not only removes unwanted facial hair but also get you rid of wrinkles. Here are two ways in which you can apply wheatbran scrub to get rid of unwanted hair on your face.
1st way to use wheatbran to remove facial hair: Wheatbran-Rosewater Scrub
- Wheatbran- 1-2 tbsp
- Milk- 1 tbsp (make it more or less to adjust the consistency of the paste)
- Rosewater- 1 tsp
- Mix wheatbran, milk and rosewater to make a paste.
- Apply this grainy scrub on your face.
- Rub gently in circular strokes.
- Keep on scrubbing till the wheatbran scrub dries up.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat daily initially and then do it 2-3 times a week. This scrub will also help minimize facial hair growth.
2nd way to use wheatbran to remove facial hair: Wheatbran-Gramflour Scrub
- Wheatbran- 1 tbsp
- Gram flour- 1 tbsp
- Fresh milk cream OR curd- 1 tbsp (use curd if you have oily skin)
- Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
- Mix wheatbran, gramflour, turmeric and milk cream or curd, whatever you are using.
- Mix well to get a paste like consistency.
- Apply this to your face.
- Leave for 20-25 minutes.
- Now wet your fingers and rub your face with wet fingers in circular strokes. Do this gently.
- Scrub like this for about 3-4 minutes.
- Then wash off.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
- This scrub will help you get rid of dead skin and remove your unwanted facial hair over time. This scrub also makes your skin soft, smooth and glowing.
You may even use this scrub for removing unwanted body hair. It is one of the best body scrub too.
[Also Read: Amazing Home Remedies for Unwanted Hair Removal]
7. Apricot-Honey Facial Scrub to Remove Unwanted hair
Apricot, apart from all its vitamins and minerals, contains a wonderful antioxidant called Lycopene. Now whether this lycopene or some other component of apricot helps remove hair is not known exactly but yes apricot does help remove your facial hair! For this, you need to prepare a facial scrub using apricot as the main ingredient and honey as the secondary ingredient. But that doesn’t mean honey is not giving you its fine properties to remove hair and soften your skin.
How to make apricot-honey facial scrub to remove unwanted hair?
- Dry apricots- 1/2 cup
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Grind the dry apricots to get its powder.
- Mix honey to this.
- Apply this mixture on your face.
- Leave for 5-10 minutes.
- Now scrub gently with your fingers in circular strokes.
- Keep on scrubbing for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week.
8. Orange-Lemon Peel Mask to Remove Unwanted Facial Hair
Orange peel has been one of the favorites for traditional Chinese medicine practitioners for various ailments. Orange oil extracted from orange peel is present in many cosmetic products that claim to cleanse your skin. It also has high reserves of vitamin C just like lemon juice and lemon peels. The properties of these citrus peels naturally bleach your hair and make them invisible. Mixing them with some natural exfoliating agents will help you get rid of unwanted facial hair effectively.
How to make citrus peel mask scrub to remove hair?
- Dry orange peel (powdered)- 1 tsp
- Dry lemon peel (powdered)- 1tsp
- Oatmeal- 1 tsp
- Ground almond (almond meal)- 1 tsp
- Olive oil- 1-2 tsp
- Rose water- 1 tsp
- Mix all the powdered ingredients- orange peel, lemon peel, almond meal and oatmeal.
- Add rose water and required amount of olive oil to make a paste.
- Apply on your face and leave for 5 minutes.
- The rub gently in circular strokes.
- Do this for about 5-10 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a week.
9. Homemade Gelatin Peel-off Mask to Remove Facial Hair
Now this is one of the best remedies to pull of facial hair instantly, with gelatin peel off mask that you can make at home. You can feel it’s quite a mess and smelly too. While smell of gelatin can be suppressed with the use of any essential oil or lemon juice, how messy it would be, depends upon how you handle the whole procedure of making and applying this homemade peel off mask. And yes, keep your eyes and eyebrows away from the gelatin mask. Eyebrow hair on your face are sure not unwanted!
How to make and apply gelatin peel off mask for unwanted facial hair?
- Unflavored gelatin- 1 tbsp
- Milk- 2-3 tbsp
- Lavender essential oil- 1-2 drops OR lime juice- few drops
- Mix gelatin and milk and essential oil or lime juice if using.
- Microwave for 15 seconds. Don’t overheat.
- Apply this immediately to your face. As gelatin sets very fast, you need to apply a coat over your face, or just areas on face from where you want your hair to go away. Be careful though, the thing will be hot too. You will at least get 2 minutes before the gelatin sets completely. So, manage your time and apply a coat over facial hair.
- Don’t apply near eyes and over your eyebrows.
- It will take about 10-15 minutes for gelatin mask to dry off.
- Once dried, peel it off your face. The hair and even blackheads will come off with the dried thing.
- If you accidentally put this paste on eyebrow hair, just wet your fingers and rub your eyebrow hair with this wet finger. If it has set badly, you may use a little warm water to take it off your eyebrows.
10. Saw Palmetto Extract to Remove Unwanted Facial Hair
This is a very useful herbal remedy for those women who suffer from hirsutism. Saw palmetto is a palm like plant. It has anti-androgenic properties. Women suffering from hirsutism have high levels of androgen, the male sex hormone. Women with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) have high levels of androgen which results into growth of hair at unwanted places like chin, upperlips, breast and even abdomen. Saw palmetto reduces this high level of male hormones through its anti-androgenic effects.
How to take saw palmetto for unwanted facial hair removal?
While saw palmetto can be brewed as tea, its not that effective in this form. This is because the fatty acids of this herb are not water soluble. The extract of saw palmetto is available in capsule form. Saw palmetto extract is derived from its berries. This extract is rich in fatty acids and phytosterols. Before buying any such extract, you should make sure that it contains fat soluble saw palmetto extract. The dosage recommended for saw palmetto in order to treat hirsutism is 160 mg two times a day. This will be enough for removing unwanted hair from your face though you might need to take this extract for a long period of time.
Precaution: Pregnant and nursing women should not take saw palmetto extract due to its effects on hormones. Those who take blood thinning drugs should consult their doctor before taking this herbal extract.
11. Chasteberry Herbal Extract to Remove Unwanted Facial Hair
Chasteberry, sometimes also called Chaste tree (Vitex agnus castus), is a flowering plant and is popular as a women’s herb. One of the foremost causes of hirsutism is Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Just like saw palmetto, the standardized extract of Chaste tree also has anti-androgenic properties. Primarily used as a herbal remedy for PCOS, chasteberry extract can also cure hirsutism when the underlying cause is PCOS. When you take this extract, it acts on your hypothalamus and pituitary glands and increases the production of luteinizing hormone (LH). This mildly inhibits the release of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). As a result progesterone hormone increases as compared to estrogen hormone in your body. Thus, chaste tree extract balances the right hormones essential for women, treats their menstrual problems related to PCOS and in the process also removes unwanted facial and other body hair.
How to take chaste tree extract to remove unwanted hair?
Chaste tree extract is available in tincture as well as capsule form. As far as daily dose of chasteberry extract is concerned, the general guideline states that you should take 175 mg of this extract which is standardized to contain 0.6% agusides. However, because this herb affects your female hormone levels, it is strictly advised that you consult a naturopathic doctor to get the exact dosage for your specific problem.
This herb, like most of the other herbal remedies, take time to show its effect. Before drawing any conclusion about its positive effect on unwanted body hair, take this extract for 2-6 months.
Precaution: Pregnant and nursing women should not take any herbal extract without consulting their doctor. Chaste tree herb can also interfere with certain antipsychotic drugs as and Parkinson’s medications.
12. Black Cohosh Herb to Remove Unwanted Facial Hair
Black Cohosh (Actaea racemosa) is a flowering plant native to eastern North America. This herb has phytoestrogen (plant based estrogens) which can effectively inhibit the growth of unwanted hair. It also as anti-androgenic effects and thus can cure hirsutism as well. The modern use of black cohosh extract is mainly for gynecological problems including premenstrual stress and menopause symptoms. While black cohosh extract is available as capsule and tincture, you may prepare tea out of this herb.
How to make black cohosh tea for unwanted hair removal?
- Dried black cohosh root- 20 g (roughly 1.5 tbsp)
- Water- 34 oz (4.25 cups)
- Honey (optional)- 1 tsp
- Add black cohosh to water.
- Bring it to boil and then allow it to simmer for about half an hour.
- When it remains 1/3 of its original quantity, remove and strain.
- Add honey if using.
- Cool it down. You may store it in fridge where it can stay for 2 days.
- Have 1 cup thrice a day.
Precaution: If you have some liver disease, avoid having black cohosh tea. Don’t take high doses of this herb which may lead to abdominal discomforts, headache, nausea, dizziness etc. If you suffer from any kind of cancer or tumor, don’t take black cohosh.
While some of the above home remedies for unwanted facial hair can instantly remove hair from your face like those using peel off mask or exfoliating scrubs, other herbal remedies may take many months before they show any positive result. The key to select an effective remedy is to understand the underlying cause for the unusual growth of unwanted hair on your face and then go for the right home remedy for it.