Many women, and some men too, suffer from this skin disorder called cellulite. You may understand cellulite as fat cells that get deposited just under the skin. You can see them as bulging, pitted, wrinkled, and dimpled skin appearing like an orange peel or cottage cheese on such body areas as the abdomen, buttocks, hips, and thighs. These areas of the body, especially in women, are usually prone to get fatty easily. Those who have cellulite can feel tenderness, or tightness in these areas that may also sag sometimes. Why do women mostly suffer from cellulite can be understood by the fact that the female hormones progesterone and estrogen are considered to be the main causes of cellulite. While estrogen hormone leads to the problem of connective tissues by promoting formation as well as expansion of fat cells, progesterone hormone leads to weak veins, fluid retention, and weight gain. Sometimes though, cellulite may result from such other factors as smoking, stress, obesity, pregnancy, lack of exercise, rough harsh massages as well as genetics. These causes themselves explain that you can get rid of cellulite with some lifestyle changes like doing exercise, having the right diet as well as through some home remedies for cellulite.
Top 10 Cellulite Home Remedies
1. Make Coffee Scrub to Get Rid of Cellulite
Coffee scrub and also the coffee wrap are among the popular home remedies for cellulite and not for no reason. When you rub your skin with coarse coffee grounds, it works as an excellent exfoliating agent and removes dead skin cells to give your skin new and healthy cells. The skin tightening effects of coffee also smoothen your sagging dimpled skin. It is said that coffee scrub also enhances fat metabolism and removes fat and liquid from your skin to get you rid of cellulite.
How to Make Coffee-Sugar Scrub for Cellulite Removal
- Coffee grounds- ¼ cup
- Sugar (or brown sugar)- 3 tbsp
- Coconut oil or olive oil- 2-3 tbsp
- Take a clean bowl and combine coffee grounds, sugar and the oil you are using. Melt the coconut oil before mixing it with the other ingredients.
- Now take this paste like mixture and massage your cellulite ridden skin with this scrub for several minutes.
- When massaging, do not try to be too gentle. Apply firm pressure on the tough cellulite. If you can’t be so harsh with your skin, use the alternative way of coffee wrap described just after this remedy.
- If using olive oil, do not mix it with coffee and sugar. First apply olive oil to your skin and then massage with coffee-sugar mixture.
- Now wash off with water, if required, with warm water.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week and keep doing for few weeks before you see the results.
Alternatively, you can make a coffee wrap using olive oil with coffee.
How to Make Coffee Wrap for Cellulite Removal
- Coffee grounds- ½ cup
- Extra virgin olive oil- enough to make paste
- Add a little olive oil to the coffee ground.
- Heat it a little using microwave for about 20-30 seconds or by indirect heat. You can place the bowl containing the mixture on to hot water in another big pan or bowl. You just need a warm mixture.
- Now apply this mixture to your cellulite affected areas spreading it all over.
- Cover it with a plastic wrap and leave for about half an hour and then wash off with warm water.
- Repeat this at least twice a week for few weeks until you see improvement.
2. Try Dry Brushing to Remove Cellulite
Dry brushing is perhaps the most effective home remedies for cellulite removal. When you rub a dry brush onto your dry skin, you help tighten the epidermis and also in breaking up the toxic material which makes up the cellulite. Many people have used dry brushing to miraculously get rid of cellulite. It also has an exfoliating effect for sloughing off the dead skin cells as well as help stimulate blood and lymphatic flow in the body to give you a radiant glowing skin. However, you must take proper care in selecting the brush as well as the time to do dry brushing. Also, brush in the right direction- towards your heart only otherwise you will give rise to other health problems instead of removing cellulite. Here’s how to do dry brushing to get rid of cellulite problem.
Select the right brush for dry brushing
- Get a brush whose bristles are made of natural material.
- These bristles of your brush should be stiff but not too hard. Soft bristles will not bring on the desired effects though.
- Get such a brush preferably having a handle so that you get a good grip of it and may do the massage the right way.
Know the right time for dry brushing
- Dry brush your body just before taking shower when your body is still dry.
- Do this daily and if your cellulites are really bad, even twice a day would do.
- Take shower right after dry brushing your body for about 5-10 minutes. This will get you rid of the dead skin cells too that loosens up due to brushing.
Don’t fail to do dry brush in the right manner
- As stressed earlier too, you need to brush in the right direction- towards your heart only! The key is to brush in the direction of the lymphatic system.
- Do not, do not ever brush forth and back nor in circular motions. Don’t scrub with brush too.
- Begin brushing your feet moving upwards with long sweeps of brush.
- Brush your arms taking the brush towards your chest.
- When brushing your stomach, keep it doing counterclockwise. Don’t brush too hard though.
Remember when you dry brush, you should feel your skin get stimulated but never irritated. No redness should follow dry brushing and if you do it in the right manner, it will not.
There is one more step too that you can follow after dry brushing. This is applying coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil for deep moisturizing. Just as you finish your shower after dry brushing, when your skin pores are still open, apply some oil to your skin and rub it into it. You should do it especially after taking hot shower as hot water pulls all moisture out of your skin and makes it too dry.
3. Use Juniper Oil for Cellulite Removal
It is said that sometimes when your body gets toxin build up within skin and fat tissues, it may form cellulites. While there are many ways to detoxify your skin, one of it is using juniper oil. This oil has fine detoxifying properties that not only clears the toxin build-up in your skin but also helps reduce fluid retention that may be good for reducing cellulite.
- Juniper oil- about 15 drops
- Olive oil- ¼ cup
- Dilute juniper oil by adding it to the olive oil.
- Now massage your body areas having cellulite with this oil for about 10-15 minutes.
- Do this daily and if bad cellulite than even twice a day.
- Keep doing at least for a month to see any positive effect.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar Removes Cellulite Too
Apple cider vinegar, loaded with various minerals including potassium, magnesium and calcium, may help you get rid of cellulite. This is again because these minerals help detoxify your body and help flush out the toxins. It also helps reduce water retention around your thighs and stomach, the common areas where you get cellulite. As obesity is one of the cause of cellulite formation, ACV seems to indirectly help remove cellulite pockets by making you lose weight.
Ways to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Cellulite Removal
- Take one part apple cider vinegar and two parts water and mix them. Add a little honey if you wish to, it is purely optional. Now apply this solution where you have cellulites and rub for few minutes. Then leave it there for half an hour and wash off with warm water. Repeat twice daily till you get positive results.
- After rubbing your body parts having cellulite, instead of immediately washing off, you may also wrap it up with a plastic wrap and place a warm towel over it for about an hour. Then remove the wrap and wash off the area with lukewarm water. Repeat daily.
- There is one more way to apply ACV topically. Take 3 parts of apple cider vinegar and mix it with one part of any massage oil of your choice. It can be any oil- coconut, jojoba, sweet almond, olive or any other oil. Now apply this oil mix to your cellulite and gently knead it into the skin there. Repeat this twice a day.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon of honey. Have this twice daily.
- If this feels too strong, add the mixture- 2 tbsp of ACV and 1 tsp of honey- to one glass of water and have this every morning.
5. Get Seaweed Detoxifying Massage for Cellulite Removal
You need to improve your blood circulation so that lymphatic flow remains flawless in your body and do not give rise to cellulite. Seaweed is one such ingredient that not only detoxifies and flushes harmful toxins out of your body but is also an excellent excellent exfoliating agent. All these properties of seaweed may help reduce cellulite.
- Ground seaweed- 3 tbsp
- Sea salt- ¼ cup
- Olive oil- ¼ cup
- Any essential oil (optional)- few drops
- Coconut oil- 1-2 tsp
- Mix all the ingredients
- Massage your cellulite affected areas with this mixture for about 10 minutes.
- Do this just before you take bath.
- After massaging, take shower.
- And finally, apply some coconut oil to your skin as sea salt and seaweed etc. make your skin really dry. You may also use your regular moisturizer but as coconut oil helps remove cellulite, this is a good option.
- Do this daily for weeks to get rid of cellulite’s.
6. Take Detox Baths to Get Rid of Cellulite
Detox baths are relaxing but because we are talking about cellulite removal, we must know that these baths help prevent toxin build-up in the skin. They also prevent fat tissues from accumulating beneath the skin so that you do not get cellulite at the first place. However, when you do have cellulite, detox baths can help remove the already built up toxins from your body and skin. You can use seaweed as well as sea salts to get such baths.
- Seaweed- 4 sheets Or sea salt- 1 cup
- Bath tub filled with warm water
- Fill your bath tub with lukewarm water.
- Add sea weed or sea salt to this water.
- Soak in this water for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat twice a week but do not forget to moisturize your skin after detox baths.
7. Green Clay Helps Remove Cellulite
Mud therapies have been very popular for various medical conditions. Of these, remedies using green clay is generally popular for skin related issues. As clay has very fine adsorbing properties meaning that they can suck the impurities out of your body, it is also good for removing cellulite’s. Green clay also stimulates blood and lymph circulation, so essential for removing and preventing fat deposits beneath skin which gives rise to cellulite. It is also a good exfoliating agent and all these properties of green clay make it a good remedy for cellulite removal too.
- Green clay- ½ cup
- Seaweed- ½ cup
- Fresh lemon juice- ¼ cup
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Hot water- 3 tbsp
- Mix all the ingredients to make a smooth thick paste.
- Massage your body areas having cellulite with this paste for about 10 minutes.
- Cover it with a plastic wrap and leave for about half an hour.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this once every week.
8. Tangerine Essential Oil for Cellulite Removal
Tangerine essential oil helps with proper blood circulation which prevents lymphatic and fat deposits under skin. This oil also helps break down fat and thus reduces cellulite pockets formed on your skin. It is a detoxifying oil and you, by now, know this very well how detoxification removes impurities and toxins from your skin to get you rid of cellulite’s.
1st Way to Use Tangerine Essential Oil for Cellulite’s- Apply Topically
- Tangerine oil- 4-5 drops
- Olive oil- 1 tbsp
- Dilute the tangerine oil with olive.
- Rub this oil mix on your cellulite’s for about 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat twice daily.
- Take precaution not to step out in sun just after applying this oil to your skin as it makes your skin photosensitive.
2nd Way to Use Tangerine Essential Oil for Cellulite’s- take Internally
- Tangerine oil- 2-3 drops
- Warm water- 1 glass
- Add the drops of tangerine oil to the glass of warm water.
- Have it once daily till you notice desired improvement.
9. Use Tomatoes to Get Rid of Cellulite
You might not have thought while enjoying your tasty packaged junk foods, fatty foods and refined sugars as well as the unknowingly consumed chemicals, pesticides, pollutants etc. that they are continuously depositing toxins in your system. These toxins that get stored in form of fats lead to cellulite pockets. Thus your cellulite’s are full of toxins and you need to remove them first to get rid of cellulite later. Tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene, a component that prevents breakdown of collagen in the skin and saves it from toxic fat accumulation.
- Tomatoes- 2-3
- Fresh lime juice- 1-2 tsp
- Crush the tomatoes to get its paste.
- Mix the lemon juice into the tomato paste.
- Massage your cellulite with this tomato paste for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat this daily.
10. Gotu Kola Herbal Remedy for Cellulite Removal
There is one very good herbal remedy that can reduce you cellulites by draining the fluid out of them. This is the now popular herb Gotu kola also know as Centella Asiatica. Forskolin, the active ingredient of gotu kola, helps break down toxic substances that lead to formation of cellulite pockets. There are many cellulite creams available that contain forskolin as well as another substance called aminophylline which is similar to caffeine and help lose weight by reducing inches. While this or any other cellulite cream has to be bought by paying a lots of money, they certainly cost lesser than surgery for cellulite removal. The natural remedies, however, are even cheaper than any cellulite cream too and safe as well!
How to Use Gotu Kola for Cellulite Removal
Gotu kola is available in various forms- powdered dry leaves, gotu kola extracts and lotions, and capsules as well as tea. Usually, herbalists prescribe 20 to 60mg of Gotu kola extract to be taken three times daily. They recommend dried leaves in quantity of 1,000 to 4,000mg three times daily. However, as all bodies are different and require different doses, if you want to use this herb, you must consult a herbalist. Whenever using Gotu kola, use it for only 2 weeks at a stretch. Give a break for a week or two and then have again for 2 weeks. Don’t have it for more than six weeks. If you suffer from some liver disease, avoid gotu kola herb.
How to Make Gotu Kola Tea?
- Fresh gotu kola leaves- ¼ cup or dried leaves- 2tsp
- Hot water- 1 cup
- Honey – 1-2 tsp
- Lemon juice- few drops
- Place the herb in a pot.
- Pour hot water over it.
- Steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and add honey an lemon juice if using.
- Have only one cup of this tea in a day.
A Perfect Cellulite Diet
The above cellulite home remedies tell us a thing that should not be overlooked. One of the major causes of cellulite is the accumulation of toxins in body and of fat underneath skin. This can be substantially countered with a good diet that we can call a cellulite diet. Though this is an overall healthy diet that will make your body healthy from inside out, as we are referring to this for cellulite removal, we can call it a perfect cellulite diet as well.
Top 5 Foods to Get Rid of Cellulite
1. Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Having the wrong kinds of fats may lead to many health complications related to heart and general body health. This can also lead to cellulite formation because bad fat makes you fat and deposits fat cells beneath your skin. Instead, have good fats, have Omega 3 fatty acids! Some of the evidences do indicate that having Omega-3 fatty acids along with fat soluble vitamins help remove cellulites over time.
Why Omega 3 fatty Acids for Cellulite Removal?
There are at least three major reasons for this:
- Foods having Omega 3 fatty acids are rich in antioxidants that fight off free radicals. The antioxidants effectively break down fat cells in your cellulites too.
- Not only does omega-3 fatty acids help reduce cellulites, they also make your skin and tissue smooth.
- Additionally omega-3 fatty acids help reduce appetite so that you don’t over eat and don’t accumulate fat.
What Foods to Have for Omega 3 Fatty Acids?
- Cod liver oil
- Salmon and other such fish (not fried though)
- Flax and olive oil
2. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper has now become popular as an excellent fat-burning food. You need to make your food hot but with the use of cayenne pepper. The capsaicin component of cayenne pepper has anti-inflammatory properties and thus helps reduce any inflammation in your body. The fluid filled cellulites can also be reduced through cayenne pepper.
Why Cayenne Pepper for Cellulite Removal?
- Cayenne pepper can even naturally heat up your body to boost metabolism.
- Additionally, cayenne pepper improves your blood circulation, essential for preventing lymph and fat accumulation.
- When you regularly have cayenne pepper, you speed up the process of toxin elimination from your body that can help you greatly in removing cellulite.
How to have Cayenne Pepper?
- You may add this pepper in your daily meal. Add it in your gravies, teas or sprinkle some on your salads and dips.
- Make cayenne pepper tea by adding 1-2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper powder along with 1 teaspoon of grated ginger and fresh lemon juice from a whole lemon to a glass of warm water. Have this 2-3 times a day.
3. Green Tea for Cellulite Removal
Along with many benefits of green tea, there is one more valid reason to replace your morning cup of coffee with green tea- cellulite removal.
Why Green Tea for Cellulite Removal?
- Green tea promote better blood circulation which not only means healthier skin and a smooth uniform skin texture but also no fat accumulation. Proper blood circulation helps effective transfer of stored fat from cellulite to muscle tissue. This way, the fat is burned and used as energy rather than stay deposited as cellulite.
- Catechins in green tea are antioxidants that fight free radicals and help you get rid of body toxins.
- Green tea also boosts your metabolism and again helps you burn fat. It does this by preventing the production of fat-absorbing enzymes.
How Much Green Tea to Have daily?
Have 3-4 cups of green tea in a day. This will increase your energy consumption so that you burn extra fats that are deposited in your body, including the cellulites. Replace your morning coffee with green tea to give this boost to your metabolism right at the beginning of the day.
4. Drink Plenty of Water
While keeping your body well hydrated is a pre-requisite for overall good health, it is more so to prevent and remove cellulite.
Why Drink Water for Cellulite Removal?
- Well hydrated body has smooth and even skin texture.
- Drinking water helps you get rid of body toxins.
- It helps in smooth body functioning, even blood circulation and thus helps prevent lymphatic accumulation in the form of cellulite beneath skin.
Drinking plain water though can be boring and boring habits die quickly. So, here are some ways to include water in your daily plan in an interesting and satisfying manner.
How to Consume More Water Daily?
- Have foods higher in water content such as melons, cucumbers, watermelon and leafy greens.
- Have natural drinks like coconut water.
- Add lemon juice and a bit of honey to make your water tastier and healthier too.
- Have herbal teas but don’t add sugar to these as this will lead to more fat deposits.
- All in all, water is water. You must also have plain water, at least 7-8 glasses per day.
5. Have Foods with Gelatin
Gelatin is mainly composed of the amino acids, glycine and proline. These are found usually in bones, fibrous tissues and organs of animals. Those who don’t eat such non vegetarian foods generally lack in this one of the very good component helpful in getting smooth even skin. In fact, these amino acids are required not only for healthy skin but also for proper nails and hair growth, as well as for proper immune function and weight management. They also help reduce cellulites.
Why Gelatin is Required in Food?
- It improves digestion by helping food move easily though the digestive track. Better digestion means lesser fat accumulation too.
- You get dietary collagen which is again needed for supple youthful and smooth skin and tissue.
- It is a good source of protein and its amino acids help build muscle meaning more consumption of energy and lesser accumulation of fat.
- It promotes good skin, hair and nail growth
- It is also beneficial for joints and may help with joint related problems.
- It has skin tightening effects.
How to Consume Gelatin?
- Make bone broth or stock
- Add gelatin powder to soups and stews.
- Make jello and puddings
- Add 1 tbsp of gelatin powder in a herbal tea like chamomile tea. First dissolve gelatin powder in ¼ cup of cool water and then mix this with ¾ cup of herbal tea.
- Use in custards
- Make fruit snacks
Apart from concentrating on cellulite diet, you also need to do exercises to remove cellulites
Cellulite is essentially fat and when you have excessive weight, you are bound to get cellulites. Thus you need to do exercises such as walking, jogging, swimming, jumping, skipping or yoga etc. Weight lifting, martial arts, aerobics and dancing are also helpful when it comes to lose weight and remove cellulite. If not for long, exercise at least for 20 minutes every day. Exercising regularly will help your body balance and function in a proper way and keep you away from various health issues and not only cellulites.
Top 5 Exercises for Cellulite Removal
Here are some specific exercises that we can call cellulite exercises for convenience. These exercises will help you lose weight as well as tone your muscles to make your skin firm and cellulite free. You need to do one set of 10-15 repetitions of these exercises at least 3 days a week (doing 5 days a week is the best plan though). While doing these exercises, lift slowly counting 2 seconds to lift and 4 seconds to lower. Before starting, you should warm up thoroughly by walking or by stationary cycling.
1. Glute Kickback to Remove Cellulite from Buttocks
- Ankle weights (You may also do the exercise without ankle weights or by holding a light dumbbell behind the knee of working leg)
- Wear the ankle weights if using.
- Get to hands-and-knees position with your forearms and knees (and portion below it) touching the ground at the same time. Weight should lie on your forearms
- Back would stay straight. Keep your head in line with the back.
- Eyes need to look downwards.
- Now slowly swing your right leg towards backside while lifting your right foot toward the ceiling till your thigh gets parallel to the ground. Keep your foot flexible throughout the exercise.
- Hold the position for a second and return to the beginning position.
- Now repeat with your left leg and foot.
- This exercise will tone your gluteal muscles.
2. Squats for Thigh Cellulites
Squats are very easy exercises done without any special equipment. You need to just use your own body weight while doing squats. You may however, use dumbbells or barbells to increase its intensity.
- Stand up straight.
- Bend your knees till the time your thighs get parallel to the ground.
- Your back should stay straight.
- Push your glutes backward as if you are sitting down in a chair.
- By using your leg muscles you now will slowly come back to a standing position.
- Do 3 sets of 10 to 15 squats.
- The muscles worked through squats include glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps, hip flexors, and lower leg muscles.
3. Perform Lunge to Get Rid of Cellulite
Along with squats, lunge is another exercise which is specifically good for cellulite removal. It targets the cellulites of your butt and thighs.
- Medium-weight dumbbells (only if doing reverse lunge. For simple lunge, you don’t need anything)
- Place your hands on your hips.
- Now, with your right foot, take a step forward and lunge into this movement.
- For this, keep your upper thigh parallel to the ground and your knee in line with your toes.
- Return to your starting position. Repeat with the other leg.
- Perform at least 3 sets of 15 lunges per leg.
- Now if you are interested, you may do reverse lunge as well.
- For this, stand with your feet stretched to your hip-width.
- Keep your arms at sides and hold a dumbbell in each of your hands.
- Lunge behind yourself with right foot while bending both knees at 90 degrees.
- Hold for 1 count.
- Return to your starting position and repeat.
- Do 12-15 repetitions.
- Repeat with the other leg.
- Lunges work on glutes and quads.
If you are really desperate to remove cellulites with lunges, perform side lunge and back lunge as well. This helps with cellulite removal from your outer and inner thigh, hamstrings and glutes.
4. Workout your Muscles Side to Side with Dumbbells
- Dumbbells (if not, just let your hands stay on your hips)
- Stand with your legs stretched to the width of your shoulder
- Keep your toes pointed out (45 degrees)
- Your back must stay flat and straight.
- Hold a dumbbell in both of your hands and let them rest at the hips.
- Now take a big step towards left and bend the left knee in a way that your thigh gets parallel to the floor. While doing this, your right leg should stay extended.
- Don’t let the left knee jut over your toes or the buttocks to go below your knee.
- Pause for some time and then return to the position in which you began.
- Repeat this with your right leg.
- These exercise will tone the muscles of quadriceps, abductors, hamstrings, and glutes.
5. Leg Pull for Removing Cellulite from Outer Thighs
- Exercise Band
- Tie the exercise band loosely around your ankles.
- Lie down on the floor on your back. Do not arch your back nor twist your torso. If you feel its difficult to keep balance while doing the exercise, lie close to a chair in a way that you can hold on to one of the chair’s legs to get its support.
- Keep your arms down at both of your sides.
- Now extend both your legs straight upwards and bring them directly above your hips.. While taking your feet up, spread your feet outwards enough to slightly taut the exercise band. Keep your feet flexible.
- Open your legs slowly. Open them as far as you can.
- When you can no longer open your legs and it becomes difficult to pull any more, close your legs slowly to bring them back to their starting position.
- This exercise will tone the muscles of your thighs, especially those of outer thighs and help remove cellulites from there.
With the perfect cellulite diet as well as exercises, you can get rid of cellulites soon. The home remedies for cellulite too are there to help you out! So get set and select your own combination of cellulite remedies, diet and exercises for cellulite removal.