Back acne, sometimes conveniently called bacne, is one of the most inconvenient things to suffer from. And if you have facial acne, you are more prone to have back acne too. When your back’s overactive oil glands (sebaceous glands) get clogged by excessive dead skin cells or sebum (oil), it gives rise to bacteria that cause acne on your back. If you have acne on your face, there is high chance that your back skin is very thick and sebaceous glands there produce more sebum leading to the problem of bacne. They are not only painful and irritating posing problems for you to wear clothes and carry backpacks but will also leave ugly back acne scars. That’s why, it’s better to treat them as soon as possible so that these bacne don’t get enough time to sit deeply into your skin and cause acne scars on your back. While you can also get rid of back acne scars with home remedies, it seems intelligent to stop the proliferation of back acne itself so that you need not take extra pain to cure bacne scars too! Here are some really effective home remedies to get rid of back acne.
Natural Ways to Get Rid of Back Acne
1. Use Sea Salt to Cure Back Acne
While diet high on sodium (read salt) may aggravate your acne, sea salt remedy can actually get you rid of them. Although not much research has been done on why sea salt is so effective in eliminating acne, it may be because it is effective in containing bacterial buildup. Salt also effectively dries out your skin, taking away all the oil that cause acne on your back. Those who have used this remedy for back acne, have praised it for quick and effective solution for their bacne. However, whenever you decide to use salt for your back acne remedy, go for sea salt and not the table salt as it has iodine in it which may further make the acne proliferate.
How to Use Sea Salt for Bacne?
- Sea salt- 2-3 cups
- Bath tub filled with warm water
- Add the sea salt to your warm bath water.
- Soak in this water for 20-30 minutes.
- If your skin is very oily, do not apply any other thing after getting out of the bath tub. Just pat dry.
- If, however, you skin tends to get drier, apply a light moisturizer but not too heavily.
- If your acne on back is really bad and there are too many breakouts, repeat this process twice a day otherwise once is enough.
- If your body responds to this remedy, you may see your acne breakouts on back going away in a week or so.
You may also use sea salt mixed water filled in a spray bottle. Just spray this water on your back acne once or twice a day. However, if your back acne are many and in a real bad shape, you will be most benefited by a soak.
2. Epsom Salt also Cures Back Acne
If you find sea salt expensive or not effective for your back acne, you may try Epsom salt which is comparatively inexpensive remedy for bacne. Epsom salt is the common name of the natural mineral compound, magnesium sulfate. The anti-inflammatory magnesium can be well absorbed by skin and give relief from redness, irritation and itchy skin. It also activates enzymes to help regulate various nutrients vital for the health of skin such as zinc, potassium and vitamin D. It helps flush out toxins apart from helping in proper absorption of nutrients.
How to Use Epsom Salt for Back Acne?
- Epsom salt- 1-2 cups
- warm bath water to soak
- Add Epsom salt into the bathtub as the water runs to fill it.
- Soak in the bath for 15-30 minutes or more.
- Don’t use bath foam or any other soap or chemical in this bath water.
- You may use a loofah though gently for better absorption and blood circulation.
- After this Epsom salt bath, you should drink a lots of water.
Precaution: Don’t rub Epsom salt directly into your skin as it is abrasive and may aggravate your back acne by breaking your skin further. As magnesium and calcium, both are competitors when it comes to absorption, take care to have enough of calcium otherwise it may lead to calcium deficiency in your body.
3. Oatmeal Bath for Back Acne
Oatmeal is one ingredient which is beneficial for almost all types of skin, dry or oily and even aging skin. It works for acne prone skin by soaking up the excessive sebum oil. It also gently exfoliates your skin to clean off the dirt and open the skin pores. When oil is removed and dead skin too, your skin gets rejuvenated along with a moisturizing effect. Oatmeal bath will not only eliminate back acne but will also get you rid of bacne scars! Here’s how to get soothing oatmeal bath for acne on your back.
How to Make Oatmeal Bath for Back Acne?
- Oatmeal (plain, not flavored or anything else)- 3 tbsp
- A sock or muslin cloth
- Finely grind the oatmeal.
- Alternatively, place the oatmeal in a sock or muslin cloth and tie it.
- Mix the finely ground oatmeal with the warm bath water in your tub. Mix it well. If it is not fine enough, the oats will settle in the bottom of the tub.
- If you have tied your oatmeal into a sock or cloth, just place it into the tub immersed in the water. While soaking, keep on squeezing the cloth to let the juice of oatmeal mix with the water.
- Soak for 20-30 minutes.
- Repeat daily to get soft moisturized and acne free body.
4. Homemade Oatmeal-Honey Mask for Back Acne
If you don’t like the idea of oatmeal bath, there is yet another way of applying oatmeal on your bacne. Using honey with oatmeal, you may prepare a homemade mask. While oatmeal cleans off the excessive oil and dirt, honey works with its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties to cure your back acne breakouts. Its antibacterial properties fights off the bacteria causing acne and the anti-inflammatory properties eliminate redness and swelling.
How to Make Oatmeal-Honey Mask for Bacne?
- Plain oatmeal- 3 tbsp
- Honey- 2-3 tbsp
- water- enough to cook oatmeal
- Cook the oatmeal with water as usual.
- Add honey to the cooked oatmeal.
- Let it cool down.
- Upon cooling, the mixture may get a little dry. If so, add a little more honey to this.
- Apply this mask to your back acne.
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar for Back Acne Remedy
Apple cider vinegar (ACV), as you might know, is a marvelous ingredient for your body. It may also help you get rid of bacne. ACV does it by balancing the pH of your body which naturally eliminates the acne breakouts. Because Apple cider vinegar is also an effective antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent, it is counted amongst one of the best remedies for acne as a whole and not only for back acne. Nothing like when you drink 1-2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar mixed in 1 glass of water, daily. However, you can even make a toner with ACV to apply it topically on your back acne.
How to Make Apple Cider Vinegar Toner for Bacne?
- Apple Cider Vinegar- 1 part
- Water (distilled, if possible)- 2 parts
- Spray bottle (optional)
- Mix the apple cider vinegar and water.
- Fill this mixture into the spray bottle.
- Spray some of this mixture every night on your back acne before going to sleep.
- You may also spray it during day. If so, leave it on for at least 10-20 minutes before washing it off.
- Store the bottle with ACV toner in your fridge for cooling effect on your acne breakouts.
- If you don’t prefer spraying, use a cotton ball to apply ACV on your back acne.
6. Tea Tree Oil Remedy for Back Acne
Tea tree oil, derived from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia of Australia, has anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. Terpinen-4-ol compound in tea tree oil gives it it’s antimicrobial properties. The anti-bacteria effect of tea tree oil eliminate the bacteria Propionibacterium acnes which is responsible for the development of acne.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Bacne?
- Tea tree oil- 2-3 tsp (a little less than 1 tbsp)
- Water- 1 cup
- Add tea tree oil with water.
- Using a cotton ball apply this mixture on your back acne breakouts.
- Repeat 1-2 times a day.
- Also apply it before going to bed.
- You may store the prepared solution in a bottle for later use.
Precaution: Never apply undiluted tea tree oil on your skin as it may lead to irritation, redness, blistering, over-drying, as well as itching. Always dilute the oil with water in 5:95 ratio. This means 5 parts of tea tree oil should be mixed with 95 parts of water. For example, 5 ml tea tree oil should be mixed with 95 ml of water.
7. Mint Leaves for Back Acne
Peppermint leaves contain menthol which is a natural analgesic and an anti-inflammatory agent. Not only these properties alleviate your pain and swelling due to acne but can also sooth your itchy skin due to its natural cool composition.
How to Use Mint Leaves for Back Acne?
- Mint leaves- a handful of them
- Mortar and pestle
- Crush the mint leaves using mortar and pestle.
- You’ll get a green smooth paste.
- Rub this paste on your acne affected back.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day.
8. Cinnamon-Honey Mask for Back Acne
Cinnamon has strong anti-bacterial properties. Taken internally, cinnamon can even fight of yeast infections. When you apply it topically along with honey, it will eliminate dirt along with bacteria that are behind your acne breakout.
How to Make Cinnamon-Honey Mask for Back Acne
- Ground cinnamon- 1 tsp
- Honey- 2 tbsp
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)- ½ tsp
- Mix all the ingredients.
- Apply the mask to the acne on your back
- Leave for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
9. Baking Soda for Back Acne
Baking soda has amphoteric properties meaning it can act as both, a base or acid. It can thus balance the pH level of skin excellently, imbalance of which gives rise to bacteria and in turn acne. It has antiseptic properties as well as mild anti-inflammatory properties that cures irritation and swelling due to acne. Apart from all these properties, baking soda also exfoliates skin to get you rid of dirt and dead skin that are one of the major causes of acne.
Make Baking Soda Exfoliant for Back Acne
- Baking soda- 1 tbsp
- Water- enough to make paste
- Mix baking soda with water to make a paste.
- Apply this to your back acne.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
10. Soothing Aloe Vera for Back Acne
Among its innumerable properties, aloe vera also has astringent, emollient, antifungal and regenerative properties. This means it can stop fluid discharge by contraction of blood vessels, make skin soft and smooth, eliminate fungal infection and can lead to regrowth of new cells thus healing wounds. All these properties of aloe vera come to usage when you apply it topically on your back to eliminate acne.
How to Use Aloe Vera for Back Acne?
It’s better to apply the natural aloe vera gel directly from the leaves of aloe vera plant. You
- Aloe vera leaf
- Cut open a piece of aloe leaf.
- Take out the thick gel out with your fingers.
- Apply this to your back acne for feeling the soothing relief instantly.
- Repeat 3-4 times a day to heal your bacne outbreaks.
- If you cannot get fresh leaf, buy pure aloe vera gel without any other component in it.
11. Homemade White Willow Bark Toner for Back Acne
White willow bark is especially effective for any acne including back acne. It contains salicin, similar to the salicylic acid which is found in many commercially available acne creams. Salicylic acid dries up blemishes and thus get you rid of bacne. Not only this, white willow bark is anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fungal too. Therefore, you get relief from redness and inflammation caused by your painful acne. Here is a recipe of homemade white willow bark toner which also contains certain other ant-acne ingredients to give you fast relief from back acne.
Make White Willow Bark Toner for Bacne
- White willow bark- 1 tbsp
- Boiling water- 70 g (about 5 tbsp)
- Witch hazel- 50 g (about 3.5 tbsp)
- Tea tree oil/ lavender oil/ black pepper oil (any one)- 10 drops
- Place white willow bark in a pot.
- Pour the boiling water over it.
- Steep for 10-15 minutes.
- After steeping, strain the liquid using fine sieve.
- Add witch hazel and your choice of essential oil to this.
- Mix well. You may store it in a bottle.
- With the help of cotton ball, apply the solution to your back acne.
- Repeat this 2-4 times a day.
12. Witch Hazel for Back Acne
Witch hazel, the herb native to North America, China and Japan, is one of the best herbs not only for acne but for various skin diseases. The twigs, leaves and the bark of witch hazel has catechol tannin in them. It is active astringent which is wonderful for cleansing skin. Distilled witch hazel can be easily found in any health store. It cleanses the skin pores clogged due to dry sebum and oils. Its anti-inflammatory properties treat your swelling and redness caused by acne lesions. What more, it leaves your skin naturally moisturized and refreshed.
How to Use Witch Hazel for Back Acne?
- Get distilled witch hazel from any health store.
- Simple apply to your bacne with cotton pad.
- For increasing the efficiency of this remedy, mix a few drops of tea tree oil to witch hazel and the apply on the acne on your back.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day.
13. Lavender Oil for Back Acne
Like many other natural ingredients used for treating back acne, lavender oil has anti-bacteria and anti-inflammatory properties that make it eliminate the bad bacteria causing acne. There is one more benefit of using this aromatic lavender oil for your bacne cure. It soothes your nerves and make you calm. This helps in efficient hormonal balance within your system. Hormonal imbalance is yet another major cause of acne breakouts. Try lavender oil to take a bath with other useful ingredients that are also good remedies for back acne.
How to Make Lavender Bath for Back Acne?
- Lavender essential oil- 7-8 drops
- Water/ Epsom salt/ sea salt (any one of them)- 1 cup
- Warm bath water
- Add lavender oil to the other ingredient you are using – water or Epsom or sea salt.
- Add this lavender mix water or salt to your warm bath water in the bath tub.
- Soak for 15-20 minutes or more.
- Repeat 1-3 times a week depending upon the severity of your back acne.
14. Clove Oil for Back Acne
Clove essential oil derived from the scented flowers of clove plant is analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic and anesthetic. This oil contains what is called eugenol, an antibacterial component that can kill infection and reduce swelling. Due to its anesthetic properties, it also numbs the pain that you get from your acne. However, there is one consideration regarding clove oil. The substance eugenol that kills bacteria has also been found to be capable of damaging skin cells. Therefore, one has to be extra careful while using clove oil.
How to Use Clove Oil for Back Acne?
Always use 1 part of clove oil with 10 parts of carrier oil.
- Clove oil- 1 tsp
- Carrier oil (olive oil or almond oil or grape seed oil) – 10 tsp (or ¼ cup roughly)
- Mix 1 part of clove oil with 10 parts of your choice of carrier oil.
- Use a cotton pad or clean finger tip to apply this mixed oil to your back acne.
- Take care not to spread oil on to your healthy skin. As far as possible, apply the oil mix only on the acne outbreak.
Precaution: Never use pure clove oil on acne or your skin. It can cause irritation or even burns.
15. Diet and Lifestyle Remedies for Back Acne
Diet and Lifestyle too needs your attention when you seek to eliminate acne from wherever on your body, face or back.
- Drink lots of water during the day so that toxins are flushed out of your system.
- Have a healthy diet which includes high fiber whole grains, fruits, and veggies.
- Avoid junk foods that include heavily spiced fried foods, fatty and sweet foods, caffienated drinks etc.
- Getting sufficient rest is also important as this keeps your hormones balanced and oil secretion controlled.
- Stress too throws your hormones out of control. Meditate, exercise to keep stress at bay as also to keep your internal body system functional in the most efficient way.
- Smoking and excessive alcohol too may lead to acne problem.
The above natural home remedies for back acne will sure make you get rid of bacne but diet and lifestyle remedies will ensure that you don’t get your back acne again!