In America, nearly 10% to 20% infants and nearly 3% of adults and children get affected by eczema. The term eczema refers to a group of medical conditions that inflames or irritates the skin. The eczema, which is the most common, is known as Atopic Dermatitis or Atopic Eczema. The person who suffers from this skin disease often gets itchy, inflamed and red rashes in some parts like face, back of the knees, wrists, hands or all over the body. Eczema-affected skin causes an intense itching sensation and sometimes it become so bad that it makes you to scratch your skin till you bleed.
There are various creams and lotions available in the market to treat this extremely itchy skin condition. But here we cannot rule out the side effects of these OTC drugs and creams. So here we have brought for you one wonder ingredient called apple cider vinegar that you can use to treat this itchy skin disorder.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Really Work to Treat Eczema
We will learn here to prepare various apple cider vinegar remedies to treat eczema. But before that we should know about the eczema-fighting properties of apple cider vinegar, which will make the remedies more convincing.
Anti-fungal Properties: The antibacterial and antifungal properties of apple cider vinegar kill the bacteria that cause eczema. So its use stops the further growth of the eczema-causing bacteria.
Promotes Cell Renewal: Apple cider vinegar contains beta-carotene, which promotes cell renewal. So its use makes the eczema-affected skin healthy.
Contains Potassium: Apple cider vinegar also contains a good amount of potassium, which helps to treat various allergic conditions. Apart from that potassium works as an astringent and maintains the pH balance of the skin, which in turn treats eczema successfully.
Contains Fiber: Apart from vitamins and minerals, apple cider vinegar also contains a lot of fiber, which are helpful for the body to flush out the toxins that may cause eczema.
Strengthens the Immune System: A weak immune system is also known as a major cause of eczema. Apple cider vinegar contains various mineral salts, acetic acid, Vitamin B1, riboflavin, pectin, minerals, which promote a strong immune system, thus its use prevents as well as cures eczema successfully.
Treats Itching Sensation: The application of apple cider vinegar on the skin treats dry skin, which is one of the main causes of eczema. It also offers relief from the related itching sensation that comes with eczema.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Eczema
Apple cider vinegar can be used alone or with some other ingredients to prepare the home remedies for eczema. Let’s know about them.
1. ACV Diluted in Water
The application of apple cider vinegar on the eczema-affected skin gives much relief to the suffering person. Also, its antibacterial as well as antifungal properties work directly on the skin to treat the condition soon.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Cotton Balls – 2 to 3
- Take apple cider vinegar in a small bowl and add the water to it, and mix thoroughly.
- Soak a cotton ball in it and apply it on the affected area.
- Repeating this remedy will give you desired results against eczema.
Note: For the sensitive skin take 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in ½ cup of water.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar Bath
This ACV bath is helpful if you have eczema in all over your body.
- Warm Water – a bathtub
- Apple Cider Vinegar – ½ cup
- A Moisturizer
- Take the apple cider vinegar and add it to the warm water in the bathtub.
- Now soak your body in this water for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pat dry your skin with a clean towel and apply a moisturizer if your skin feels very day.
- Follow this remedy every day till you get desired results against eczema.
Note: You can also add sunflower oil to the bath water to treat the day patches that are developed on the skin.
3. Taking ACV Orally
You can treat eczema internally if you follow the remedy of taking apple cider vinegar orally. Apple cider vinegar if taken internally will strengthen the immunity power, thus will prevent the reoccurrence of eczema.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Take the water and add the apple cider vinegar to it.
- Mix it well and drink it.
- Follow this remedy 2 to 3 times a day to get rid of eczema by making yourself strong with a strong immunity power.
Note: The people who are suffering from indigestion problem, heartburn or peptic ulcers should refrain from taking apple cider vinegar orally as its acidic content may worsen the situation.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda
This remedy also works well to treat eczema effectively. Baking soda, when mixed with apple cider vinegar raises its pH level up to 7 to 7.5, and this pH level prevents the bacteria growth that causes eczema.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Baking Soda – ¼ tsp
- Water – ½ cup
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Take ½ cup of water and add the apple cider vinegar and baking soda to it.
- Mix both the ingredients well and drink it.
- You can take this drink daily till you get rid of eczema completely.
- You can also add 1 tsp honey to it to enhance its taste.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey
Since decades, honey has been used as a remedy to cure various skin diseases. In the case of eczema, it also offers an effective cure. The antibacterial properties of honey kill the bacteria that cause eczema. In addition to that its use also prevents infection. With wound healing properties, the application of honey on the eczema-affected skin reduces the inflammation and irritation. So the combination of honey and apple cider vinegar makes an effective remedy for eczema.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 glass
- Take 1 glass of water and add the apple cider vinegar and the honey to it.
- Mix all the ingredients well and drink it.
- Take this remedy three times a day with meals till you get rid of eczema completely.
- Always use raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar for preparing the remedies for eczema as it has the mother in it, which will be more effective to treat eczema.
- Ensure to use diluted apple cider vinegar for eczema both for oral intake as well as for the application on the skin. As apple cider vinegar is very strong, it may create a burning sensation on the skin as well as internally if you take it orally.
- Some people are allergic to apple cider vinegar. So always use a patch test before applying the ACV remedies on eczema. First, take a small amount of ACV liquid and apply it to your skin. Wait for few minutes and if it does not harm your skin, then you can apply it to the eczema.
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers should refrain from taking apple cider vinegar orally as it may harm the unborn baby.
- If you are diabetic and on the medication, then do not consume apple cider vinegar orally.
- Avoid eating foods, such as peanuts, milk, soy, wheat, fish, and eggs that cause eczema or worsen the situation.
- Also keep your skin moisturized as dry skin is one of the major causes of eczema.
- Avoid scratching the eczema-affected skin to prevent the skin from more infection and damage.
- As sweating can irritate the skin, take measures to stop sweating. Avoid doing strenuous exercises.
- Wear loose clothes to avoid the rubbing of the cloth to the eczema-affected skin.
- Avoid using perfumes and harsh soaps to avoid irritation and further damage to the skin.
- Avoid taking stress as it is considered as one of the causes of eczema.
- Do some lifestyle changes to prevent eczema. Eat a balanced diet and involve yourself in light physical activity. Have a good amount of sleep to keep yourself fit and healthy.
If your eczema and its symptoms do not subside after using all these apple cider home remedies for eczema, then consult a dermatologist.
Now you know how to use apple cider vinegar to treat eczema. So if you are suffering from eczema and have a bottle of apple cider vinegar at your home, then you do not have to go for the chemical-laden OTC drugs or creams. Use these effective apple cider vinegar home remedies to get rid of eczema for sure.