Being obese is torturing- physically, mentally as well as socially! If you have tried everything and yet aren’t able to lose weight, there’s some lack of either will-power, discipline, proper planning/ implementation, or right remedies. Here are certain home and herbal remedies for obesity that will make you lose weight faster than any other treatment. While these remedies can give you very fast results, you should understand that they too need your long term commitment in altering your diet habits and physical activity levels. Without proper balance in diet and exercise, no home remedy can be effective. However, if you increase your physical activities and change your diet habits to suit your body needs, these home remedies can give you results in as less as 1-2 months or even lesser than that. Now, please don’t expect these remedies to make you lose weight in only 7 days or so! That would be too high an expectation from not only these remedies but from your body too!
1. Have lemon juice and honey in water
You can increase you metabolic rate in a very simple way- by just having lemon juice and honey mixed in a glass of water. This remedy really works and works fast.
You will need:
- Water- 1 glass
- Lemon juice- 2 teaspoons
- Honey- 1 teaspoon
- Add lemon juice and honey to water
- Mix well
- Have this first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.
- Take this daily
You may even have this lemon juice- honey mix at night before going to bed. You may lose up to 8 pounds in a two week’s time with this remedy.
2. Try black pepper in lemon juice
While lemon juice with honey is perfectly fine as an obesity remedy, you may also include black pepper powder in it for an additional boost to your body’s metabolism. Here’s the recipe.
- Lukewarm water- 1 glass
- Lemon juice- 4 teaspoon
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Add pepper, lime juice and honey to lukewarm water.
- Mix well.
- Drink this daily once or twice.
Continue to have it for at least 2-3 months.
3. Sip detoxifying tea throughout the day
When you are up to lose your weight, you not only have to keep your digestive system intact and break down all accumulated fat of your body but also remove all the toxins from your body. When you get rid of the toxins, you allow all your body’s systems function to their full capacity, including metabolism. So, make this detox tea everyday in the morning and sip it hot or warm throughout the day.
You will need:
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds- ½ tsp
- Fennel seeds- ½ tsp
- Water- 4 cups
- Thermos flask- 1
- In the morning, boil 4 cups of water.
- Add cumin, coriander and fennel seeds to the boiling water.
- Allow it to boil for about five more minutes.
- Then strain the tea and store in thermos flask.
- Now have this tea in small amounts all through the day. It should be tolerably hot or at least warm when you have it.
Initially, you may take some time to adjust your taste buds to this tea and it may feel a little stronger to you. So, you may start your detox tea regime by adding ¼ tsp of each seed to your 4 cups of water and then about two weeks later, when you are used to the tea, make it half a teaspoon.
4. Cabbage can do wonders for you
The leafy green cabbage is a known good source of vitamin C, fiber, potassium, and many other nutrients. This very high-fiber vegetable has the fewest calories and least fat when compared with any other vegetable. When you include cabbage in your daily diet, you not only take advantage of all its beneficial components but also stop the sugar and carbs consumed by you in converting into fat. This wonder is done by the tartaric acid present in cabbage, it doesn’t allow sugar and carbohydrates in your body take the form of fat thus saving you from obesity. Either cook it, toss it in salad or have it raw but include cabbage in at least one of your meals daily.
5. Ginger for weight loss
Ginger is a very common herb. In fact, in some parts of the world like in Asia, it has come to be known as everyday spice rather than herb due to its extensive use for culinary purpose. Some of the ancient medicine systems like traditional Chinese medicine as well as Indian Ayurveda stream uses ginger for medicinal purposes too. What is more surprising is that modern researches have shown far more uses of ginger than traditional medicine. Few examples include treatments for nausea and vomiting which result from motion sickness, cancer chemotherapy or pregnancy using ginger. How does ginger help in weight-loss?
- It improves digestion by increasing the pH of stomach and stimulating its digestive enzymes. This leads to quick absorption of essential nutrients and excretion of non-essential ones. This means ginger leads to an effective digestive system leading to optimal use of energy. In short, it helps your body in using up the blood glucose and stored fat efficiently.
- One of the Dutch studies has confirmed that ginger boosts your body’s metabolic rate by up to 20% and therefore is a good remedy not only for treating obesity but also for lowering cholesterol level.
- Another study by New York Obesity Research Center and Columbia University has shown that ginger promotes the feeling of satiety after eating. Thus, ginger helps weight loss by increasing the feeling of fullness after a meal.
How to have ginger for treating obesity?
A big question indeed but the answer is simple. You can have ginger in two ways.
- Chew a piece (½ or 1 inch will do) of fresh ginger daily before meals.
- Make a ginger tea and have it daily after meals.
To make ginger tea, you will need:
- Ginger powder – ½ tsp (you can also use 1 inch piece of fresh ginger root)
- Water- 1 cup
- Honey (optional)- 1 tsp
- Boil the water.
- Add ginger powder to it.
- Steep for about 5 minutes.
- If using honey, mix it.
- Have it.
6. Chew curry leaves to shed extra body fat
Known as curryblatter in German, Hoja in Spanish and Feuilles de cari in French, curry leaves are one of the extensively used aromatic herbs used in Indian dishes, particularly those from South India. These leaves stimulate the digestive enzymes and help break down food more easily thus helping in efficient use of nutrients. You can thus be sure of a good metabolic rate when having curry leaves.
How to have curry leaves for weight loss?
Chew a few curry leaves, about 8-10 leaves, daily on empty stomach in the morning for at least 3 months.
7. Minty fresh way to shed kilograms
Mint leaves have been recommended as an obesity cure by Ayurveda since ages. Why refer to ancient medicine! Even modern studies indicate that mint is a very useful herb when it comes to weight-loss. A study from Wheeling Jesuit University in West Virginia stated that contact with peppermint- eating or inhaling- decreases hunger. This study says that eating mint or even the scent of peppermint increases brain activity in the area which controls alertness. This, in turn, curbs your snacking which, most of the times, takes place to stimulate energy. Mint not only increases your sense of fullness and satisfaction after eating, it also enhances your senses of taste as well as smell. This means you get more satisfied with your meal thus curbing further craving for other food.
How to have mint for weight loss?
Make chutney out of fresh mint leaves and include this mint chutney in your daily diet. If you haven’t heard about chutney any time before, you may like to know that chutney is a spicy condiment of Indian origin. Many vegetables, specially green leafy herbs as well as fruits are used for making chutney as an accompaniment with the main diet. Here is the basic recipe for making mint chutney.
You will need:
- Fresh mint leaves- 1 bunch
- Tomato – 1
- Green chili – 1
- Salt- as per taste
- Coriander leaves (optional) – 2-3 tablespoon (some people find mint to be bitter and add coriander leaves to avoid its bitter taste)
- Wash the mint leaves properly.
- Roughly chop the tomato and green chilly.
- Now mix all the ingredients- mint leaves, tomato, salt and green chili as well as coriander leaves if using.
- Grind it to get its chutney. It will look like a green paste.
- You don’t need to add any water as mint leaves as well as tomato contain enough water to give you the right consistency of chutney.
Now have this mint chutney everyday, with as many meals as you can. You’ll love the aroma and taste of the chutney and also its ability to enhance the taste of your dishes. You can use it as bread spread or for making sandwiches along with other veggies. You may mix it with yogurt to get a great mint flavored yogurt for snacking. Use it as salad dressing. Practically, you can have mint chutney with any dish you have during the day. If you extensively have mint daily, you may reduce your weight by up to six kg within 40-45 days provided you continue your daily exercise regime too!
8. Get a treat from three combined herbs – Triphala
Ayurveda mentions many herbs that can effectively and quickly reduce obesity. One of these herbs is Triphala. Triphala, in fact, is a combination of three herbs- Amalaki, Haritaki and Bibhitaki. These are sometimes called super foods due to their excellent components and nutrients. While Amalaki is a natural antioxidant and helps you remove inflammation of your body as well as maintain healthy blood sugar levels, Haritaki works by naturally cleansing your colon by gently removing all toxins from there. Bibhitaki is the wonder herb that reduces the accumulation of fat and fluids in your body. However, they all work tremendously well when combined with each other to form Triphala (Sanskrit term meaning three fruits). You can get Triphala powder from any health store that sells Ayurvedic herbs. For your Triphala remedy for weight loss, the recipe is given here.
You will need:
- Triphala powder- ½ tsp
- Psyllium husk (use the one without any color or flavor)- 1 tsp
- Ground flaxseed powder- 1 tsp
- Warm water- ½ cup
- Add all the ingredients- triphala, psyllium fiber and flaxseed – in warm water.
- Mix well.
- Have this daily, preferably at night before going to bed.
- Those prone to loose motions may omit psyllium fiber. However, it is a great remedy for constipation too.
9. Spice way to get rid of obesity
Your body needs all types of tastes- in total- six tastes in your food to feel satisfied. These are sweet, salty, sour, bitter, pungent and astringent. Now try to recall all the tastes that you have in your food or any average American food has in it. They are all made of either sweet, salt or sour taste- alone or in combination. What about the other tastes than? There’s a remedy- a spicy remedy! Prepare a spice powder and use it in your dishes- curries, gravies, soups- to get all the tastes during the day. I’ll give you the recipe for this spice mix.
You will need:
- Coriander seeds- 5 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
- Bay leaf- 1 large leaf
- Cumin seeds- ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Cinnamon stick- 1-½ inch stick
- Cloves- 5
- Turmeric powder- 2 tsp
- Mix all the spices except turmeric powder.
- Grind them together to get a fine powder.
- Take out the spice mix powder in a container with lid.
- Add the turmeric powder to it and mix well.
- Now use a little amount (may be ¼ to ½ tsp or even more than that) of this powder in your dishes.
Also Read Amazing Home Remedies to Lose Belly Fat
10. Block carbs in your body with white kidney beans
One of the tricks for weight-loss is to avoid having too much carbohydrates. What if you can naturally block your body’s capability to absorb carbohydrates? Carbs will then not get broken down into sugars and will not be absorbed into your bloodstream to be stored as fats! White kidney beans actually do that naturally. The compound, Phaseolus Vulgaris in white kidney beans, prevents alpha amylase enzyme in the digestive system from breaking down the carbohydrates into sugars. And for these reason only, white kidney beans extract in supplement form has flooded the the market and every other obese is buying this to lose weight fast. However, you can cook the actual white beans but you must be very careful while cooking it because there are some other components in these beans that can be toxic for your body. Raw kidney beans contain high amounts of a potentially toxic substance called phytohemagglutinin which can lead to symptoms that are similar to food poisoning like nausea,
vomiting, stomach cramps, and diarrhea. So cook your beans fully before having them.
How to cook white kidney beans for weight-loss?
While you can get canned white beans too but the dry beans are healthier due to absence of added sodium.
- Pre-soak dry white kidney beans overnight in water. If not overnight, you still need to soak them for at least 8 hours.
- In the morning, discard the water in which you had soaked the beans.
- Rinse the beans well and boil them till they are cooked fully. You can use pressure cooker for the purpose.
- These fully cooked beans can be now eaten by you in various dishes. Here are some suggestions.
- Toss them in your salad.
- Add tomatoes and scallions to it and use dressing made with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper.
- Grind your cooked kidney beans with garlic, cumin and chilli peppers to make a delicious bread spread or dip or use this as sandwich filling.
- Add beans to your soup.
11. Drink oolong tea to burn more fat
When you eat or drink something for weight-loss, you are trying to reduce weight by two ways. One, you can increase the energy expenditure and two, you can block absorption of nutrients which includes fat and carbohydrates. While the second task of blocking carbs is done by white kidney beans (as you read in the previous remedy), oolong tea can significantly increase your energy expenditure by burning fat of your body! Many researches have supported this fact. A Chinese study has showed that when oolong is continuously consumed for six weeks, it can considerably reduce body weight. Another study conducted by the US Agriculture Research Services’ Diet and Human Laboratory says when full strength oolong tea is taken, it can burn 67 more calories per day on an average. Apart from caffeine and an antioxidant called epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), oolong tea has this component, polymerized polyphenols which is responsible for burning fat in your body. However, just drinking oolong tea cannot get you rid of obesity. Oolong tea can enhance your chances of getting slimmer fast when you exercise, sleep enough and have a balanced diet along with having this tea.
How to take oolong tea for weight-loss?
- Have a cup of oolong tea 30 minutes to 60 minutes ahead of your exercise regime. This can be a walk, workout at gym, aerobics, yoga, swimming or any other physical exercise.
- Have oolong tea in the afternoon. This will keep your late day sweet cravings at bay by increasing your energy levels.
12. Take cinnamon honey water
Cinnamon can be called the natural insulin for healthy blood sugar levels. As it increases the metabolism of glucose, cinnamon is an established remedy for not only diabetes but for obesity as well. As it doesn’t let sugar level get high in your body, there is lesser storage of fat. Combined with honey, it can be a great remedy for weight loss.
You will need:
- Cinnamon powder- ½ tsp
- Honey- 1 tsp
- Water- 1 cup
- Boil the water.
- Put the cinnamon powder in a cup.
- Pour the hot water on the cinnamon powder.
- Allow the water cool off.
- Add honey to this water.
- Drink it.
Have this cinnamon and honey mixed water twice a day- in the morning and at night, half an hour before going to bed.
13. Kalonji nigella seeds to lose belly fat
Kalonji, the black seeds (Caraway seeds) derived from the Nigella Sativa plant, is used not only as spice for making dishes in certain Asian countries but is also used as a medicine by alternative medicine of many countries. Kalonji seeds and kalonji oil both are used by traditional medicine for curing almost all of the diseases, more importantly for building and boosting immunity. Nigella sativa seeds and oil have so many benefits because of over hundred components including aromatic oils, trace elements, vitamins and enzymes. To name a few, it has crystalline nigellone, carbohydrates, fifteen various types of amino acids, saponin, crude fiber, proteins, fatty acids including linolenic and oleic acids, volatile oils, alkaloids, iron, sodium, potassium, calcium and the list goes on. Now you know why this is a wonder spice and also for reducing the fat which surrounds your belly!
How to take kalonji for obesity?
- If taking kalonji oil, you will need:
- Kalonji oil- ½ teaspoon
- Honey- 2 teaspoons
- Lukewarm water- ½ or 1 cup
- Mix honey and kalonji oil in lukewarm water.
- Have this twice a day.
- When using this remedy, avoid eating rice.
If taking kalonji seeds, you will need:
- Kalonji seeds- 5-6 seeds
- Lemon juice- from 1 lemon
- Warm water which is more towards being hot than cool- 1 glass + ½ glass
- Do this on empty stomach in the morning.
- Add lemon juice in 1 glass of warm water and drink it.
- Now swallow the kalonji seeds with the help of another half glass of warm water.
- After that have the honey.
- Have breakfast only after at least half an hour.
Remember that nigella seeds are very hot and are enough in small quantities only. Never have more than 5-6 seeds of kalonji. Having more seeds than this may have negative effects on your health instead of reducing your belly fat.
Use one or more ways from the above mentioned remedies for obesity, combine them with physical activity, patience and determination to lose weight fast!